• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dinner at the Final Fantasy X table must be awkward (spoilers inside)

Ezalc

Zidane is like downgraded Tidus.Sure he's a smartass ,but he hasn't much going for him except for his Dynamics with Garnet.

Then at the end of the game we find out he's an alien without any forshadowing whatsoever ,and that he's the Villain's brother.

A downgraded Tidus? The hell, you got that backwards. Zidane was so good we got Tidus afterwards who is basically an attempt to recreate Zidane except he's worse in just about every way: He's completely full of himself, his "romance plot" is terrible and felt forced, they made him outgoing in a way that was really obnoxious compared to Zidane's rogue with a heart of gold style, and he just always seems to do things for selfish reasons. I can't tell you how many times it irritated me when he said that this was HIS story in the game, no it fucking isn't it's Yuna's goddamn it (at least it should be since it's about her journey to stop sin, he's just there as a bodyguard). Tidus just felt like such a knock-off I don't know how you can say that Zidane is the downgrade when Tidus is worse in every imaginable way.

I don't know if there wasn't any foreshadowing in regards to Zidane, he seemed to be the only one of his kind, and I feel like this was played up more than once IIRC, whereas we see others of each of the party members "races" in the game. Only possible exception to that is Amarant who might just be some kind of human or the same race or whatever as Brahne.

HeelPower

A downgraded Tidus? The hell, you got that backwards. Zidane was so good we got Tidus afterwards who is basically an attempt to recreate Zidane except he's worse in just about every way: He's completely full of himself, his "romance plot" is terrible and felt forced, they made him outgoing in a way that was really obnoxious compared to Zidane's rogue with a heart of gold style, and he just always seems to do things for selfish reasons. I can't tell you how many times it irritated me when he said that this was HIS story in the game, no it fucking isn't it's Yuna's goddamn it (at least it should be since it's about her journey to stop sin, he's just there as a bodyguard). Tidus just felt like such a knock-off I don't know how you can say that Zidane is the downgrade when Tidus is worse in every imaginable way.

Tidus is actually deeply flawed and interesting.He's far from full of himself except when it comes to Blitzball maybe and even then loses that part of him in Luca where he acknowledges this was Wakka's primetime.

Zidane is actually obnoxiousness personified in his relationship with Garnet.The only moment that clicked with me was Garnet's Coronation ceremony.

The only moment where he steps away from his usual "hero" self is at the very end in the "you're not alone" sequence ,but that's incredibly cheesy and tacky.

Tidus actually has character development sprinkled all over various parts of the game.

Zidane has none of that.Sorry I gotta disagree ;there's nothing impressive about that character at all.

Zidane is like downgraded Tidus.Sure he's a smartass ,but he hasn't much going for him except for his Dynamics with Garnet.

Then at the end of the game we find out he's an alien without any forshadowing whatsoever ,and that he's the Villain's brother.

I would have to disagree. To me, Zidane and Tidus aren't comparable, at all.

Amir0x

Banned
One of the problems I think people have with Tidus (at least in English) is that his voice acting is truly, remarkably horrible. Like high school amateur hour atrocious. There are moments he reads lines at a hundred miles per hour, and others where the pauses make no sense, and others where all emotion is stripped out of otherwise quite dramatic scenes. I don't know the guys name who voiced English Tidus, but I don't think this is quite the career for him :p

It always impacted my feeling on the character I know haha

One of the problems I think people have with Tidus (at least in English) is that his voice acting is truly, remarkably horrible. Like high school amateur hour atrocious. There are moments he reads lines at a hundred miles per hour, and others where the pauses make no sense, and others where all emotion is stripped out of otherwise quite dramatic scenes. I don't know the guys name who voiced English Tidus, but I don't think this is quite the career for him :p

It always impacted my feeling on the character I know haha

It definitely influenced my perception of Tidus early on, though I eventually got used to the voice acting. I listened to the Japanese voice acting and I also find that to be unconvincing. It's hard for me to describe why I don't like Tidus's Japanese voice other that the timbre feels off (and dear god, the laugh in both versions...).

People would hate Zidane if FFIX had realistic graphics and voice-acting.

Imagine watching a realistic 16-year-old boy grab a 16-year-old girl's butt and say "Ooo, soft..." out loud.

I thought Auron's thing was that he was planning on shifting gears when they meet Yunalesca so no one would become a Final Aeon and Yuna wouldn't be sacrificed?

Psxphile

You'll be happy to know that in later years he would find his true VA niche:

4mY1POg.png

Amir0x

Banned
You'll be happy to know that in later years he would find his true VA niche:

4mY1POg.png

Yeah, he would

latest

Whaaat, I didn't know that. Well he definitely improved in Ratchet, so maybe FFX's problem was the voice directing

It definitely influenced my perception of Tidus early on, though I eventually got used to the voice acting. I listened to the Japanese voice acting and I also find that to be unconvincing. It's hard for me to describe why I don't like Tidus's Japanese voice other that the timbre feels off (and dear god, the laugh in both versions...).

I never heard his Japanese voice acting before. I'm going to listen to some samples for fun :p

Amir0x

Banned
I never view the credits in games I beat. I only know like the director and the writer.

I guess that's sort of disrespectful to all the people that worked so hard on the game, but my time is limited and watching scrolling names is boooring!

I would have liked it more if Tidus and Jecht's relationship remained broken at the end. It was interesting during his boss fight to hear their interactions. It wasn't good son versus evil dad, but resentful son facing his father who just realized he completely fucked up in how he raised him, some real cat's in the cradle with the silver spoon shit.

But they quickly reconcile at the end, which I felt cheapened it.

pantsmith

Auron was keeping it secret from Tidus and others that he is really dead (unsent). He also kept it secret from everyone that the whole journey was one big fucking sham and that one of them would need to become the Final Aeon if they were to defeat sin (and thereby become Sin, whilst Yuna dies), which seems to me pretty fucking mean spirited. I still can't see an advantage to him doing that, his nonsense about them needing to see this for themselves just rung hollow.

The only thing that has ever worked on Sin, ever, is the Final Summon, so Auron is understandably reserved about sharing this information. Either Yuna makes the same sacrifice her father did, or she makes the same decision Auron did and they all break with tradition and the only known way of bringing any kind of peace or hope to Spira.

Shit is heavy, yo.

It's not like he has the right answer, and the dude is clinging to life out of force of will, so I don't know what he could have done differently other than help the group see what he saw and try to figure out another way. Which is what he does.

pantsmith

I would have liked it more if Tidus and Jecht's relationship remained broken at the end. It was interesting during his boss fight to hear their interactions. It wasn't good son versus evil dad, but resentful son facing his father who just realized he completely fucked up in how he raised him, some real cat's in the cradle with the silver spoon shit.

But they quickly reconcile at the end, which I felt cheapened it.

I don't think they reconcile, so much as Tidus has grown up enough to look past himself and see a bigger picture. He's not hung up on his own angst anymore.

Jecht is by no means a good person, and there is nothing he can say to fix the damage that's been done, but he definitely loves Tidus and I think Tidus gets that, finally.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
OP, why would they have any issues after the game considering they aired all of that out during the game? Its not awkward if they already buried all that

I always wondered why Lulu was into Wakka, but it's probably just transferred from Chappu. I imagine she makes him dress up in his old clothes in the bedroom.

Squire

Banned
I'm trying to figure out how you didn't get Auron's motivation or why he went about things the way he did.

He was right. The group did very much need to see the journey and the machinations behind it for themselves. These folks are devout in their beliefs. "Legendary guardian" or not, you expect them to take the word of some old guy that just shows up after a decade?

He couldn't have convinced them. Maybe Lulu. And even that is a huge stretch as she's rational, but still takes the whole affair very seriously and personally.

So yeah, I'm just surprised you arrived at "mean-spirited" for him. He's trying to avenge his friends, keep promises to both of them, and save his world. And he's already dead. He's borderline on par with Yuna for being the most selfless person in the game.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm trying to figure out how you didn't get Auron's motivation or why he went about things the way he did.

He was right. The group did very much need to see the journey and the machinations behind it for themselves. These folks are devout in their beliefs. "Legendary guardian" or not, you expect them to take the word of some old guy that just shows up after a decade?

He couldn't have convinced them. Maybe Lulu. And even that is a huge stretch as she's rational, but still takes the whole affair very seriously and personally.

So yeah, I'm just surprised you arrived at "mean-spirited" for him. He's trying to avenge his friends, keep promises to both of them, and save his world. And he's already dead. He's borderline on par with Yuna for being the most selfless person in the game.

As I said, even if you believe they were so irrational that they wouldn't have taken his words remotely seriously, the group dynamics didn't justify the course. First of all, three out of the group of seven already had no allegiance to Yevon, so they could have been heightened in their awareness when dealing with them. Second, all he had to do was tell them and then continue on the journey with them. It's called letting the mole work its magic... you plant an idea, and as the journey begins to reveal cracks in the facade, questions would have begun earlier. There was enough weirdness going on with the first Crusader attack and Yevon that questions would have started arising as early as then. And by the time they got to Guadosalam, after everything they'd seen, it is clear they probably could have avoided a lot of heartache with Yevon because even the most irrational believer would have been able to see something was wrong. This isn't like open-to-interpretation Biblical shit, this is seeing with their own eyes some seriously fucking broken and bullshit stuff Yevon was going on about.

We're treating these people like unthinking robots. Auron is treating his group of friends like complete morons. Maybe they were complete morons - there's an argument to be made for that. What would his friends who worshiped him have said to Auron's story in the first place? "We're sorry Auron we respect you so much and you're the only one of us who actually made it to the final aeon and your experience is easily beyond any of us, but you're a liar and fuck you!" No, the realistic course of action would have been they would have taken the story at least in the back of their mind and considered its content as they begun their journey.

But this is FF, I don't expect good writing. I still like FFX a ton :p

HeelPower

There was enough weirdness going on with the first Crusader attack and Yevon that questions would have started arising as early as then. And by the time they got to Guadosalam, after everything they'd seen, it is clear they probably could have avoided a lot of heartache with Yevon because even the most irrational believer would have been able to see something was wrong. This isn't like open-to-interpretation Biblical shit, this is seeing with their own eyes some seriously fucking broken and bullshit stuff Yevon was going on about.

Do you meanOperation Mi'ihen ?

Operation Mi'ihen reinforced their beliefs if anything.The only rule that Yevon broke was the machina rule and it was seemingly for the greater good of ridding people of sin.

In fact,it kinda shows a more tolerant side to yevon as being capable of siding with their enemies if it meant beating sin.

The fact that they lost that brutal battle serves only to show that the final summoning is the only way and that the al bhed,machina cannot bring any good.

That's what all the NPCs like Lucil,crusaders and priests say at the end of the day.Even Auron says "The faithful live on"(sarcastically obviously but no body knew that)

Amir0x

Banned
Do you meanOperation Mi'ihen ?

Operation Mi'ihen reinforced their beliefs if anything.The only rule that Yevon broke was the machina rule and it was seemingly for the greater good of ridding people of sin.

The "only" rule they broke was actually one of the core teachings of Yevon, taken so seriously by Lulu and Wakka that they believed the Al Bhed's/Crusader's use of machina was part of the reason why Spira had yet to fully atone and get rid of the cycle of Sin.

This is not something you can casually toss in the conversation as if it is an incidental detail. Had Auron gave the team the heads up about what he went through with Jecht/Braska/Yunalesca, this event would have suddenly become a MASSIVE red alarm. That's what I'm talking about though, Auron just assumed everyone in the group were morons. I guess the argument could be made that they truly were ;P

In fact,it kinda shows a more tolerant side to yevon as being capable of siding with their enemies if it meant beating sin.

The fact that they lost that brutal battle serves only to show that the final summoning is the only way and that the al bhed,machina cannot bring any good.

That's what all the NPCs like Lucil,crusaders and priests say at the end of the day.Even Auron says "The faithful live on"(sarcastically obviously but no body knew that)

It doesn't show a tolerant side of Yevon. If Auron had told them the story of what happened, it would have immediately been clear what was actually going on - a plan by the followers of Yevon to thin out the non-believers and reinforce their bullshit ideology in the mind of those who still followed. At the very least, there would have been some in-depth conversations about what the events meant in light of Auron's story.

It's just bullshit Auron kept it a secret from the group, I'm sorry. So much could have been resolved earlier, so much danger could have been avoided. But I guess they needed to grind out levels and skills so they could be able to beat Yu Yevon, so all the danger was worth it ;)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It doesn't show a tolerant side of Yevon. If Auron had told them the story of what happened, it would have immediately been clear what was actually going on - a plan by the followers of Yevon to thin out the non-believers and reinforce their bullshit ideology in the mind of those who still followed. At the very least, there would have been some in-depth conversations about what the events meant in light of Auron's story.
I don't think that's what was actually going on...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Man, people still shitting up on Wakka kind of makes me sad. I mean, he pretty much admitted he's wrong about his Al-Bhed racism and he even apologized to the Al-Bheds directly.

Also about his hardcore Yevon-stance; hell, he's actually willing to defy Yevon's teachings in the end in the face of the fact that Yuna is endangered, and he's not running away when the group is forced to make a decision in front of Yunalesca whether to let traditions be traditions or shake the whole things up.

And people wonder why Lulu is willing to make babies with him; I don't: he's a genuinely good guy with good growth and character development throughout the game, and he cares about others and willing to admit to his mistakes.

Rurunaki

Wakka is a bro.. FFX has one of the most involved love story in Final Fantasy.. I have no idea how they managed to fuck this all up in X-2..

Top Bottom