• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 adds a 20% gpu boost to the PC version of Fable

N.Domixis

Banned
Um... Why would they go up and lie in such a public setting? They know they'll get reamed if its a lie.

Sony should probably start sweating just about now because if they lose the performance advantage that's probably going to affect sales quite a bit.

Assuming the 20 percent is real does that make the Xbox more powerful than the ps4?

2764705-1361589542722.gif

So how much closer is the system capable of getting to 1.31 TFLOPS?
Because to go above 1.31 (which is the spec used in comparing PS4's advantage) with this "20% boost" the GPU clock needs to be higher than 853 MHz. So, this is good for improving the XDK, but it's not the same as increasing the GPU's clock 20%.

Definitely not, and anyone claiming such doesn't know what they're talking about. All DX12 is doing is allowing the Xbox One (and PC) to reach it's theoretical maximum, in this case being 1.31 TFlops.

LordOfChaos

Sony really needs to pull there finger out, have they actual done any optimisation to the PS4 since its been released????

It uses a low level API already, what do you want them to do? I'm sure they're also doing things behind the scenes too, but the point is that DX12 is just shaving down what high level APIs had as overhead, while existing console APIs would already have its benefits.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Assuming the 20 percent is real does that make the Xbox more powerful than the ps4?

No.

I'm going to pretend against my better judgement that this isn't a troll post.

All they're saying is that the new API is more efficient such that (probably in ideal situations) it's 20% faster at rendering the same frames as the old API.

It's literally impossible for the Xbone to be as fast as the PS4. The PS4's hardware is simply more powerful.

It's also likely that Sony make around a similar level of API improvements over the same amount of time. They just don't have a new API to sell so they're not on stage talking about it.

Xando

So this is like Nvidia and AMD announcing more than 50% improvements on certain games when they release new drivers but really doesn't change much?

Lettuce

900 x 1.2 is 1080.

Except guess what? Resolutions are two-dimensional not one-dimensional.

900p is 1600x900, or 1,440,000 pixels.

1080p is 1920x1080, or 2,073,600 pixels.

20% on top of 900p is... 1,728,000.

So assuming that 20% is solely for resolution, 900p could now instead be:
1680 x 1050...

Woo?

WHAT!??. so let me get this straight, you think 20% increase of screen pixels will actually require a 20% boost in GPU power and are trying to related each other thinking its an exact science???. Thats laughable

Banned
All joking aside, would a 20% performance be enough to boost 900p to 1080p or 720p to 900/1080p? Or perhaps stabilize framerates that dipped below 30 to stay at 30?

sinnergy

The age of parity and PS4 usurping Xbone are over LOL. Holy fuck it's actually happening. Who would have thought shitty hardware could be redeemed by a new a API?

Got laughed at a couple of weeks back right here..

when I said an better API gets more out of the hardware lol

On Demand

Banned
No.

I'm going to pretend against my better judgement that this isn't a troll post.

All they're saying is that the new API is more efficient such that (probably in ideal situations) it's 20% faster at rendering the same frames as the old API.

It's literally impossible for the Xbone to be as fast as the PS4. The PS4's hardware is simply more powerful.

It's also likely that Sony make around a similar level of API improvements over the same amount of time. They just don't have a new API to sell so they're not on stage talking about it.

Yeah. Thread title kinda should be changed. People are thinking the GPU is literally getting more powerful.

wildfire

Banned
so why does this performance boost only affect Xbox One? Aren't they pretty similar in architecture, GPU-wise?

DirectX12 isn't going to be licensed to Sony I would guess. It's the only play MS has and considering the improvements seen with Mantle I can believe their claims about GPU performance under the best cases.

CoG

All joking aside, would a 20% performance be enough to boost 900p to 1080p or 720p to 900/1080p? Or perhaps stabilize framerates that dipped below 30 to stay at 30?

The problem with the Xbox One hitting 1080p is more a product of a 1080p framebuffer not fitting into 32MB of ESRAM than anything else.

You can't really equate a random number of unknown origins to a resolution. However, after recalibrated for PR rubbish, this is the sort of thing that can help framerates be more stable, yes.

Side note: This thread has been great for the "cloud to butt" extension. See, it even transforms itself in the middle of writing a post!

Top Bottom