• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 adds a 20% gpu boost to the PC version of Fable

Angel_DvA

This Isn't Even Its Final Form !

62a0b93af837141fb430b470faa96159.png

darkwing

900 x 1.2 is 1080.

Except guess what? Resolutions are two-dimensional not one-dimensional.

900p is 1600x900, or 1,440,000 pixels.

1080p is 1920x1080, or 2,073,600 pixels.

20% on top of 900p is... 1,728,000.

So assuming that 20% is solely for resolution, 900p could now instead be:
1680 x 1050...

Woo?

1680 x 1050? hmm I seem to remember having a monitor with a resolution like that

MaulerX

You all do realize that the PS4 still has 50 percent more shaders and is 1.84 tflops compared to the Xbox at 1.31 tflops, it doesn't matter what API they use or what percentages they can squeeze out of the hardware, the PS4 will always be more powerful.

Honestly we're at a point where that doesn't matter unless it consistently shows in games. If games end up looking identical on both consoles from here on out then it becomes sort of a moot argument imo.

The age of parity and PS4 usurping Xbone are over LOL. Holy fuck it's actually happening. Who would have thought shitty hardware could be redeemed by a new a API?

Sohaim

You really should stop underestimating Microsoft and their world leading engineers. Couple this with them being the creator of Direct X and pretty much anything is possible.

Efficiencies or simply tapping into newly unlocked power. This is game changing news for the Xbox One and the console development landscape. I won't be surprised if now more games start to lead on Xbox One.

As I said before, Revelations 2 was only the start of the tide turning...

wow, just wow, newly unlocked power?Lead on Xbox One? anything is possible?do you think a API will unlock more power for a console that alredy has a low level optimized API? youre serious? wow.

Ardenyal

A purchase of xbox is like an investment for the future. Every year your console levels up and gains more power!

I believe in Spencer.

#XBoss

Majanew

Banned
So how much closer is the system capable of getting to 1.31 TFLOPS?
Because to go above 1.31 (which is the spec used in comparing PS4's advantage) with this "20% boost" the GPU clock needs to be higher than 853 MHz. So, this is good for improving the XDK, but it's not the same as increasing the GPU's clock 20%.

Don't you always hear about these kind of things early/mid generation and they generally mean almost nothing.

I mean optimization always gets better as consoles age. It's just microsoft PR and Marketing trying to put a number on it so people feel good about their purchase.

Dynomutt

A more powerful Xbox One is good news for multiplatform development for PS4. It will mean devs will spend less time optimising the Xbox One version so more time on PS4.

Oh.... I know it's just fun to see people excited! I love games regardless of console and we are arguably in a great generation.

If I hadn't already sold my PS4 due to the RE:Rev debacle and late PS+ games announcement, I would've have now. Give MS an inch and they're gonna take the entire fucking galaxy. Straight rekt.

Wut. That's a bit drastic. Selling your PS4 because Capcom didn't put enough care into the PS4 port is one silly thing. Considering selling your PS4 because it took longer than usual to announce this month's free games is even more silly.

But people are bitter because it's NOT for the PS4.

Not because of the incessant lying and PR spin of the past 2 years.

Just because sony or nintendo don't publish their optimizations on software in development as a marketing ploy with barely verifiable claims does not make people "bitter".

LordOfChaos

all I see is a single line of text, where is the proof?

Wish there was a video to see what they actually said, not just a quick liveblog interpretation of it.

But yeah, this 20% isn't adding anything to the theoretical max numbers, just letting devs get closer to it than DX11. If they were already using the low level console APIs, it won't add anything.

Lettuce

Sony really needs to pull there finger out, have they actual done any optimisation to the PS4 since its been released????

MrMatt555

someone needs to make a gif out of this situation where it's that scene from Episode 3 with mace windu fighting Palpatine and he shouts, "POWERR!!!!"

Jomjom

Banned
Um... Why would they go up and lie in such a public setting? They know they'll get reamed if its a lie.

Sony should probably start sweating just about now because if they lose the performance advantage that's probably going to affect sales quite a bit.

Assuming the 20 percent is real does that make the Xbox more powerful than the ps4?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
You really should stop underestimating Microsoft and their world leading engineers. Couple this with them being the creator of Direct X and pretty much anything is possible.

Efficiencies or simply tapping into newly unlocked power. This is game changing news for the Xbox One and the console development landscape. I won't be surprised if now more games start to lead on Xbox One.

As I said before, Revelations 2 was only the start of the tide turning...

Hard to tell who's trolling anymore.

jelly

The nano machines have been working quietly in Xbox One consoles building more graphics, it just takes time, DX12 is misdirection.

darkwing

Um... Why would they go up and lie in such a public setting? They know they'll get reamed if its a lie.

Sony should probably start sweating just about now because if they lose the performance advantage that's probably going to affect sales quite a bit.

Assuming the 20 percent is real does that make the Xbox more powerful than the ps4?

1680 x 1050p vs 1920 x 1080p?, better than 900p I guess

Top Bottom