• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disaster: Day of Crisis Official Thread of bears, salmon and marketing DIZASUTAAAA!!!

LM4sure

Banned
Hey, I just wanted to let everyone know I imported this game. It is pretty fun thus far. Some of the dialog is kind of bad, but that's okay. Gameplay mechanics are cool. Lots of variety thus far, and I'm only about an hour into it.

For people in the US looking for it, it isn't too expensive to buy online if your Wii is modded.

Haruspex

Banned
I'm in the mood for some dumb, cheesy fun so I might pick up Disaster on the cheap as I've got a load of unwanted DS games to trade in. Is the game reminiscent of Operation Winback on the N64?

Dascu

Haruspex said:
I'm in the mood for some dumb, cheesy fun so I might pick up Disaster on the cheap as I've got a load of unwanted DS games to trade in. Is the game reminiscent of Operation Winback on the N64?
Haven't played Operation Winback, but Disaster is definitely dumb, cheesy fun. I fully recommend it.

BluWacky

Resurrecting this thread to ask a technical question...

Does anyone know if Disaster is built at least in part on Monolith's Xenosaga III engine? There's just something very familiar about the cutscene art and the "thank you" sequences when you rescue people, it reminds me a lot of the earlier game.

I rented this yesterday and I'm about halfway through I reckon. It's very cheesy, isn't it? The driving missions are a pain in the arse but it's pretty good fun.

trinest

BluWacky said:
Resurrecting this thread to ask a technical question...

Does anyone know if Disaster is built at least in part on Monolith's Xenosaga III engine? There's just something very familiar about the cutscene art and the "thank you" sequences when you rescue people, it reminds me a lot of the earlier game.

I rented this yesterday and I'm about halfway through I reckon. It's very cheesy, isn't it? The driving missions are a pain in the arse but it's pretty good fun.
Driving Missions tip from fun to "omfg why is this here".

I'm not to sure. I'm sure though it was built on one of their past engines (or built ground up). Dunno.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Disaster is, surprisingly, using a third party engine originally built for the 360.
Unfortunately I can't remember neither its name nor who made it, but I think it was already posted somewhere on GAF.

EDIT: Oh yeah, it should be nFactor2, made by iNiS.
EDIT 2: Pic from some engine tech demo apparently running on a 360:
8wxl7b.jpg

Dascu

Tenbatsu said:
Finished the game, I really enjoy it. Raymond Bryce is now my new super hero! Green Berets don't stand a chance!:lol
Yeah, I thought he was a pretty cool character. We really, really need a sequel with updated graphics and (preferably 3rd person shooter) gameplay.

Boerseun

Banned
pakkit said:
Aren't tech demoes supposed to be attractive?!

They should market their engine using screenshots from Disaster instead. Technology-wise it's an extremely impressive piece of software (and massive fun to play!).

I can't wait to run it on WiiHD!

Dascu said:
Yeah, I thought he was a pretty cool character. We really, really need a sequel with updated graphics and (preferably 3rd person shooter) gameplay.

Yeah, especially as the extended ending sets up a really wild premise for the sequel.

Come on GAF, if you're in America, write Reggie a letter. If you're elsewhere, buy the game! Don't be part of the problem!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
pakkit said:
Aren't tech demoes supposed to be attractive?!
Tell that to Wii Sports ;P

Dascu said:
I agree, but we both know there won't be a sequel, at least for a looooong time.

Boerseun said:
They should market their engine using screenshots from Disaster instead. Technology-wise it's an extremely impressive piece of software (and massive fun to play!).

I can't wait to run it on WiiHD!
Actually, it's a blurry and jaggy mess. But it would benefit enormously from a higher resolution so yeah, it would look completely different on a WiiHD.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DataBot said:
So where is this game?
Did NOA give any comment?

It is never, ever coming to America. Ever.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DataBot said:
And why is that so, did they give any reason?

I dont think anybody gave a reason. But its never coming. Not now.

pje122

Well, I just finished up my copy. I think I really enjoyed it, apart from that late game driving mission. It did feel like a huge summer blockbuster movie. Its a shame it'll never be released in a US. I have no idea why this couldn't have been a hit if it was marketed effectively. Thanks, Reggie.

Dragmire

I never posted when I beat this game. One of the first imported games I've beaten. The mix of rail-shooter with adventure and Trauma Center style puzzles (tending to peoples' wounds, albeit rather simple) was fun and enjoyable. The stat-building mechanics were interesting too. I got it for super cheap on eBay, but I'm glad I played through it and I'm happy to have it in my collection.

I dunno why we're talking bout this again lol but, great game, I really loved it (<3 Monolithsoft).

Such a shame many people didn't get to play it, I'm just glad NoE released it in English for me. :D I find it hard to stick with games some times, I get bored easily but Disaster kept me interested and wanting to keep playing.

The thing people forget now is when it should have come out, we had shit all interesting Nintendo games that holiday season on Wii. WiiMusic and Animal Crossing. :|

Disaster isn't perfect but its a whole lot more fun than WiifreakinMusic and the next churned out still nothing much changed AC game.

Damn you Reggie, he even trolled it, their own game and he's like oh its crap, voice acting sux or something. >_>

Somewhat of a big bump but...

In light of being completely cracked out on Xenoblade and a fan of Monolith since the first Baten Kaitos, Ive been looking into this game to be my second importing adventure. The whole premise sounds pretty interetsing and I like the idea of combining three different playstyles into one experience. As long as its fun to play and its got a cool soundtrack (and after playing BK & XC I dont doubt it) then Im in. Only problem Im having is finding a copy. Its out of stock at GAME and Im not going through Zaavi after RPGCrazied's fiasco. Id love to hear other GAFfers opinions on it as well as alternate Euro distributor options.

XPE

Might be better trying ebay UK, this game has been out for a long time in the UK and I think it must be out of print.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
JumpingTheGun said:
Somewhat of a big bump but...

In light of being completely cracked out on Xenoblade and a fan of Monolith since the first Baten Kaitos, Ive been looking into this game to be my second importing adventure. The whole premise sounds pretty interetsing and I like the idea of combining three different playstyles into one experience. As long as its fun to play and its got a cool soundtrack (and after playing BK & XC I dont doubt it) then Im in. Only problem Im having is finding a copy. Its out of stock at GAME and Im not going through Zaavi after RPGCrazied's fiasco. Id love to hear other GAFfers opinions on it as well as alternate Euro distributor options.
Looks like Amazon has ONE copy in stock: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FNJ0IK/
Quite pricey, though. Looks like finding a copy won't be as easy anymore.

How do I order from Amazon.UK if Im in the US? Its not letting me order...

theyve got a bunch of used ones. I found a very good used copy for about 6 quid.

JumpingTheGun said:
How do I order from Amazon.UK if Im in the US? Its not letting me order...

theyve got a bunch of used ones. I found a very good used copy for about 6 quid.
Amazon doesn't ship outside of their respective territories.

Try 365games.co.uk, game.co.uk, renchi.com or EBay. Don't use Zavvi/The Hut or Toys n Joys.

creid

I've been having the same problem. The only places that have it are places that don't ship to the US.

MidnightScott said:
Try 365games.co.uk, game.co.uk, renchi.com or EBay. Don't use Zavvi/The Hut or Toys n Joys.
OOS or unlisted at all of them - but I didn't think to check ebay.co.uk. Thanks XPE.

JumpingTheGun said:
Its out of stock at GAME and Im not going through Zaavi after RPGCrazied's fiasco.
lol, fiasco. Importing games takes time.

TunaLover

Hey guys, late to the crisis!
Got the game from ebay, sadly they send me a German version >_<, I don't get a thing written in the box and instruction booklet heh.

Ok, I'm collecting tickets, I'm on mission 19, 2nd checkpoint, It's supposed find Eric behind the church to get the gatling gun ticket, but he doesn't appear =/

I think I bugged it somehow, It's the last ticket I need, maybe someone could help me out on this, thanks!

jimi_dini

I think I bugged it somehow, It's the last ticket I need, maybe someone could help me out on this, thanks!

Are you sure that you missed that one?
If I recall correctly, you are given all weapons in order - one weapon every time you find Eric SOMEWHERE. Which means if you got him at the church, he will give you 1 weapon - it doesn't have to be the gatling gun. It's the gatling gun, if you found him everywhere else. Maybe you missed him before?

If you are definitely sure, keep looking. The game isn't buggy.

TunaLover

Are you sure that you missed that one?
If I recall correctly, you are given all weapons in order - one weapon every time you find Eric SOMEWHERE. Which means if you got him at the church, he will give you 1 weapon - it doesn't have to be the gatling gun. It's the gatling gun, if you found him everywhere else. Maybe you missed him before?

If you are definitely sure, keep looking. The game isn't buggy.

Yeah, I missed Eric from behind the train in mission 6, thanks for your help! =)

Bump. I just found a copy off ebay from Austrailia for 22 bucks (including shipping costs). The re-hype for Xenoblades NA release got me thinking about this game again. Very excited to play it.

I imported this last year and should really get around to finishing it.

I got stuck on that one boss battle on the train with the helicopter though. Any tips for that?

Shiggy

Bump! Finally got this before it disappears. The packaging clearly showed that it was in some warehouse for several years (full of dust).

The game itself is pretty fun even though the graphics don't hold up too well. I'd guess games such as Disaster don't get made these days anymore.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The game itself is pretty fun even though the graphics don't hold up too well. I'd guess games such as Disaster don't get made these days anymore.
The next Miiverse campaign after region locks should be for Dizastah 2.

CTLance

Ooh, necrobump. In the case of this game I'll allow it, thoroughly entertaining romp through a nice setting. Really liked the artwork too.

I'm with Jocchan on this. FOR!

I don't have a WiiU, but Disaster U would certainly be an incentive to get one.

Shiggy

I just finished level 18. You can easily see that the production values must have been incredibly low, and yet I love this game for its linearity and focussed gameplay concept. Shoot a few enemies here and there, then walk a bit around, then rescue a few people.

The story is just so bad that it's great again. I'm not even sure how this game was greenlit, I want to thank this person.

But one question: Do only I think this game is pretty easy on normal?

Shiggy

Pretty short game and yet still worth its price. Not sure whether I am going to do another playthrough. My backlog is too large :D

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Bump! Finally got this before it disappears. The packaging clearly showed that it was in some warehouse for several years (full of dust).

Why is this in danger of disappearing?

I also would like to know if I import the PAL version if I can get an NA Wii to output it to my TV in a way that works, NTSC or component?

bkfount I need to do the same thing, I have Fatal Frame 4 that I bought but never played...

Andrew.

Banned
Kind of a big bump but I didnt want to make a LTTP. Maybe I should?

Ive been replaying this recently. When I transferred all of my Wii stuff to my U, I lost all of my Homebrew/Gecko game saves so I had to start it all over again from scratch. (100+ hours of Xenoblade...gone)

This game is just purely preposterous, but thats why I love it. You have the mix of driving, Virtua Cop combat scenarios, exploration, mini games and the movie The Rock all blended into B movie goodness. The cheesy dialogue is completely spot on at some points: "If I dont make it, give this to my sister" etc. Plus, you get to fight a fucking BEAR which hasnt been done since what, Condemned 2?

Why on earth did this not get released in the US? Did NOA really think it was going to bomb? With the right marketing I think it wouldve done reasonably okay. Plus, this is Monolithsoft we're dealing with here. Monolithsoft. And I find this to be one of the their best games. I absolutely love the end of stage rating system and "achievements" you obtain due to how well you played.

Any other fans out there of this underrated Wii gem? An HD remake would be so rad.

For a second I thought there was some kind of announcement of an HD version for Wii U or something.

It was a really fun game that at times reminded me of 24. I think it would've been a good enough seller and NOA made a mistake.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I ended up importing the Japan version because is mostly English and I should be fine... if I ever get around to homebrewing a Wii.

Top Bottom