• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited (Vita) |OT| Ultimate Complete Definitive GOTY Edition

Kazerei

Banned
qZZvETM.jpg

Basic Info

Official website
Release: August 12, 2014 (NA) | August 29, 2014 (EU)
Price: $39.99 (USD) | €39.99 (EUR) | £29.99 (GBP)
Platform: PlayStation Vita
Players: 1
Developer: Nippon Ichi Software
Genre: Strategy RPG
Size: 3.1 GB | Demo: 1.8 GB

Limited Edition

Includes
* Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited
* Tear-resistant poster (16"x22")
* Set of 3 keychains (approx. 2.5"x1.75")
* Microfiber cloth (6"x6")
* Collector's box

Preorder here (NA)
Preorder here (EU)

What's Disgaea?

Disgaea is a strategy RPG series known for its cute character design, its unique sense of humour, its deep gameplay system, and its absurdly high level/stat caps.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Unforgotten was released for the PlayStation 3 in 2011. The game takes place in the Netherworld, a dark realm inhabited by demons, vampires, werewolves, zombies, ghosts, and so on. The Netherworld is ruled by a political body called the Corrupternment, and lead by President Hugo.

The story follows Valvatorez, a vampire who was once a feared and powerful tyrant. But 400 years ago, he promised a girl he wouldn’t drink blood until he could instill fear in her. She died before he could do so. Valvatorez continued to keep his promise, and as a result his powers have declined. Now, he holds the lowly position of Prinny Instructor in Hades, the Netherworld’s prison.

Valvatorez promises to reward his class of Prinnies with sardines upon completing their final lesson. But just before he can hand over the sardines, the Prinnies get sucked up by a vortex by order of the Corrupternment. Determined to fulfill his promise, Valvatorez rises up against the Corrupternment to get those Prinnies back.

Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited is a port with new features and content. Here's the OT for the original game.

What's New?

All the DLC released for the PS3 version
* The Flashback Episode
* The Fuka & Desco Show
* Netherbattle Tournament
* Tyrant Over Baal
* Command Attack and Survival Mode
* 23 added characters
* 6 added classes
* Pirate ship parts
* Custom maps

New features that were introduced in other Disgaea games
* Peta-level spells
* Unique skills for each generic character class
* Cheat shop
* Innocent warehouse
* Weapon sprite changer
* Event viewer
* Character promotion
* Bribe senators with HL

Completely new stuff exclusive to Disgaea 4: A Promise Revisited
* Time Leap (a new scenario starring Fuka and Desco)
* 4 added characters to unlock
* A lot of other minor tweaks and revamps

Reviews

Niche Gamer: 9/10
Kotaku: Go For It!
Hardcore Gamer: 4.5/5
Pocket Gamer: 8/10
US Gamer: 4/5
ZTGD: 9.0/10
Gaming Trend: 80/100
WeGotThisCovered: 3.5/5
PS Vita Reviews: 8/10
VitaBoys: 9/10
Geekscape: 4/5
Twinfinite: 3/5
Pulp365: 8.5/10
NerdReactor: 4/5
GotGame: 4.5/5
Chalgyr: 9.5/10
Middle of Nowhere: 8.0/10
Invisible Gamer: B+
Battle Screen: 9/10
GamingUnion: 8/10
SelectButton: 8/10

Media

Trailer #1
Trailer #2

ttocs

The release date says August 8th for the US but I thought it was the 12th?

EDIT: Confirmed it's the 12th on the official site.

danthefan

Hmmm. In September I'm going to be doing an insane amount of travelling, hadn't planned on getting this but might go for it now.

I hope they do a sale for all the Disgaea games when this comes out so I can finally get into these starting with the first one.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I wish I could get into the Disgaea games. Every remaster/port/upgrade seems to have so much value (on top of the immense value from the base game already).

Cornbread78

$hit, I forgot this is coming next week... dammit, I need to find some games to trade -in or sell ASAP... %%#$ @$%^

subscribed, but.. dunno..
i already have it for ps3..
i've already double-dipped for disgaea1 (ps2+psp),2 (ps2+psp),3 (ps3+vita)....
sighhhhh..
I'd really prefer they start releasing a dedicated ip for portable.. or something every now and then..
like.. makai kingdom?? >_>
or even soul nomad, which i loved DEARLY...
Q_Q

Baliis

Been holding off on the series until this came out. Totally forgot until I got an email about my payment going through.

Samus4145

Our review went out live this morning. Not going to self-promote, but the editor really loved it. After reviewing the past few games myself, I am looking forward to pick up my copy of the game next week.

zulux21

Is there any reason to play D3 if you get this? I have D3 in my download list.

mostly to just play through the story as they are completely different stories... 4 takes the mechanics from 3 and improves upon them in nearly every way and is the better game to try to go for all of the hidden stuff.

Busaiku

I decided to get this.
Is this a good entry point for the franchise?

I always miss out on the launches of the games, and forget to go back.

zulux21

I decided to get this.
Is this a good entry point for the franchise?

I always miss out on the launches of the games, and forget to go back.

it's a fine point, all the games are stand alone with just some cameos from characters from earlier games.

plus this release is the most polished of the second disgaea gameplay type (disgaea 1, 2 and d2 use one style for the gameplay, disgaea 3 and 4 use a different style with them having rather different mechanics when it comes to leveling up attacks and weapons)

plus like with all disgaea releases if you want to 100% the game you will get to sink countless hours into the game :p

FiraB

Banned
Bought and paid, will come later cause of playasia shipping so no day one but still might as well round out my collection.

AwShucks

Disgaea 4 is probably my favorite of the series. As I said in another topic, I might have to double dip here. Something I very rarely do

SMK

This was my favorite Disgaea with the exception of D2, which I haven't played. Can't wait to play this again with all the DLC now.

pikmin_trainer

Neo Member
I kind of want the collector's edition but there is nothing in there I care about.

Will probably just download it instead so I don't have to carry the cart around.

LMN

Got a very good price when I pre-order it during E3 promotion. Now, my only wish now is that amazon.ca will shipped the game to me within 1 or 2 days ASAP after the release date.
not going happen though =(

as much as i love the series, i just can't seem to get into the console versions. so, yeah, i'm psyched - i've pretty much been waiting for this one since it was originally announced for the ps3 :) ...

it's a fine point, all the games are stand alone with just some cameos from characters from earlier games.

plus this release is the most polished of the second disgaea gameplay type (disgaea 1, 2 and d2 use one style for the gameplay, disgaea 3 and 4 use a different style with them having rather different mechanics when it comes to leveling up attacks and weapons)

plus like with all disgaea releases if you want to 100% the game you will get to sink countless hours into the game :p

DD2 is actually a hybrid of D1/D2 and D3/D4 mechanics with some additional antifrustration features (its pretty much impossible to get permaboned by the RNG, the worst that can happen is having to rerun an item), though it leans more to D1/D2 style for characters. Its probably the most elegant and balanced mechanics have been.

This is D4 +all DLC + extra scenarios with some features from D3Vita (unique skills for generics) and DD2 (cheat shop) and the dumbest part of LoC access toned down (KitKat pirates have a much wider encounter area and there's a sane duping method).

Top Bottom