• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) hits 110K pre-orders in the West versus 20K sold in Japan

Game breaking bug does not excuse the poor first week (2 days iirc) sales. Some of you just jump on a bandwagon without even thinking for yourself.

You're talking just about Japan here(which is highly unusual for you). In the west Symphonia 2 and Abyss 3D(and Vesperia for that matter) performed better than the Playstation games up until the recent renewed push.

No, I'm talking total sales. Xillia sold >300k outside of Japan, again the highest since Symphonia.

US + EMEA

Tales of Phantasia on GBA did (~120k), Tales of Vesperia did (~270k), Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World did (~230k), Tales of the Abyss 3DS did (~220k), Tales of Graces F did (~190k), Tales of Symphonia Chronicles did (~140k), Tales of Xillia 2 did (~170k by the end of January 2015).

I guess you were mostly refering to the PS2 era Tales (Legendia, Abyss) which weren't even localized outside of America.

All numbers are as of October 2014 except Xillia 2

To put it into perspective Xillia did >230k in 2 months.

NPD

Tales of Vesperia - 37,000 (1 month)
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World - 96,000 (2 months)
Tales of the Abyss 3DS - 30,000 (1 month)
Tales of Graces f - 63,000 (1 month)
Tales of Xillia - 103,000 (1 month)
Tales of Xillia 2 - 44,000 (1 month)
Tales of Zestiria - 58,000 (1 month)

Its nothing new: Tales fanbase being mainly on Playstation, especially in Japan.

Passose

Banned
Can I get a temperature take from people who played the following two games?

- Disgaea 5;
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I played FFT:A on the Gameboy Advance and loved it quite a bit. Disgaea 5 looks similar in gameplay style, so I'm interested in seeing how you guys feel about both. If we assigned a number 10 (not a scale of 1-10 here, mind you), would you rate Disgaea 5 over or under 10? Cheers!
6 to me, it was ok

Waji

Can I get a temperature take from people who played the following two games?

- Disgaea 5;
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I played FFT:A on the Gameboy Advance and loved it quite a bit. Disgaea 5 looks similar in gameplay style, so I'm interested in seeing how you guys feel about both. If we assigned to FFT:A a number 10 (not a scale of 1-10 here, mind you), would you rate Disgaea 5 over or under 10? Cheers!
I couldn't really decide what number I'd give to the game but I can say I don't think their gameplay is similar at all.

Disgaea 5 in a way has no difficulty at all. You can mess with numbers so easily that a battle will either be the easiest ever or impossible but rarely the same as a normal tactical game battle.
It almost feels like it's not even a tactical RPG but something very different that uses some mechanism from the genre.

It's all about how you play it. It feels like "Tactical Manager" more than a classic tactical game.
So if what you love in this genre is the story, deep atmosphere and characters, balanced challenge in each battle, Disgaea is not recommended.
But if you're ok with having a very light mood, in which you can customise everything, unlock lots of stuff, it's fine.

Oregano

Game breaking bug does not excuse the poor first week (2 days iirc) sales. Some of you just jump on a bandwagon without even thinking for yourself.

No, I'm talking total sales. Xillia sold >300k outside of Japan, again the highest since Symphonia.

US + EMEA

To put it into perspective Xillia did >230k in 2 months.

NPD

Its nothing new: Tales fanbase being mainly on Playstation, especially in Japan.

What I'm seeing right there is that Xillia didn't do as well as Symphonia and none of the others did as well as Symphonia 2 or Vesperia.

Tales of Graces bombed, the port f did much better on PS3 and then Xillia became their best selling entry since the multiplatform Symphonia.

The majority of the Tales fanbase being on Playstation is evident, just like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts etc

In Japan, maybe, even that is arguable. In West, I'd say it's prety diverse when you take into account Tales of the Abyss 3DS sales or Tales of Zestiria Steam sales.
It's obvious nowadays that in West at least, Tales is a serie with a fanbase on diverse platforms.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Tales of Graces bombed, the port f did much better on PS3 and then Xillia became their best selling entry since the multiplatform Symphonia.

The majority of the Tales fanbase being on Playstation is evident, just like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts etc
yea ok

Fiendcode

In Japan, maybe, even that is arguable. In West, I'd say it's prety diverse when you take into account Tales of the Abyss 3DS sales or Tales of Zestiria Steam sales.
It's obvious nowadays that in West at least, Tales is a serie with a fanbase on diverse platforms.
Zestiria even did better on Steam than PS4 in the west I believe.

Looking at those sales for Symphonia PS3 versus Abyss 3DS is pretty telling too.

Zestiria even did better on Steam than PS4 in the west I believe.

Looking at those sales for Symphonia PS3 versus Abyss 3DS is pretty telling too.

We have no way to come to this conclusion.
But if the PS4 version in West sold as much as the Steam version in West, then Zestiria would be in the 600k range.

Passose

Banned
Yes, Tales fanbase is all on the playstation,and all of future Tales games must be ps4 exclusives, can we just end that shitty fan war?

KtSlime

The many game breaking bugs in TOG were well known, and there were extensive guides written on the topic online immediately after the game was released, and entire forum topics dedicated to complaining about the game's bugs.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
What I'm seeing right there is that Xillia didn't do as well as Symphonia and none of the others did as well as Symphonia 2 or Vesperia.

Tales of Xillia has sold 1 million copies

As far as we know, only 3 Tales of games have crossed one million mark (I don't include ports on portable systems or remakes)

[GCN - PS2] Tales of Symphonia - 1.439.000 (GCN 953.000 - PS2 486.000)
[PSX] Tales of Destiny - 1.139.000
[PS3] Tales of Xillia - 1.000.000

Yes, the vast majority of which was sold in Japan.

The real concern is that Switch will hold Disgaea 6 back.

Xillia overseas sales were better than any Tales game bar Symphonia.

What? The 1 Month sales figures?

They're largely meaningless. Abyss 3D had to be reprinted several times because of demand for one thing.

They are not considering price is highest at this period lol

Yes, Tales fanbase is all on the playstation,and all of future Tales games must be ps4 exclusives, can we just end that shitty fan war?

The classic strawman fans use when they get defensive.

How much were they ?
Cause Zestiria is sitting at close to 400k on Steam. If the PS4 version sold as much in West, it'd sit at 800k in West.

Oregano

Only if supply outstrips demand. Tales of the Abyss 3D is still full price(or close to it) in the UK(and US going by Amazon) over six years after release.

How much were they ?
Cause Zestiria is sitting at close to 400k on Steam. If the PS4 version sold as much in West, it'd sit at 800k in West.

>300k is all we have at retail, 230k> in less than 2 months. A quick look at Zestiria Steam and its price as dropped as low as $12.

Only if supply outstrips demand. Tales of the Abyss 3D is still full price(or close to it) in the UK(and US going by Amazon) over six years after release.

Have no idea how Amazon decide the price. I see Xillia at £36 yet Zestiria at half that price. Pretty sure I bought Xillia at Amazin cheaper than £36 shortly after it came out.

>300k is all we have at retail, 230k> in less than 2 months. A quick look at Zestiria Steam and its price as dropped as low as $12.

Where ? Last I checked, the only reliable figure we had was 56k first month at NPD. (Or maybe you meant Xillia ?)

Also, not this shit again lol. Yes, it had a price drop as low as 12 dollars. So did Xillia and so did a shiton of game. What is your point ? After the silly narrative "these Zestiria sales only happened because it had Symphonia as a preorder bonus" to explain the first 60k, it's now the "it was 12 dollars" for the other 340k ?

Oregano

Have no idea how Amazon decide the price. I see Xillia at £36 yet Zestiria at half that price. Pretty sure I bought Xillia at Amazin cheaper than £36 shortly after it came out.

Amazon's price depends on the basic principle of supply and demand. Zestiria is cheaper because there's a lot more unsold stock. Abyss 3D never really dropped in price because it was completely Out of Stock for a long time, enough to prompt GAF threads and news stories when it was reprinted.

Where ? Last I checked, the only reliable figure we had was 56k first month at NPD.

Also, not this shit again lol. Yes, it had a price drop as low as 12 dollars. So did Xillia and so did a shiton of game. What is your point ? After the silly narrative "these Zestiria sales only happened because it had Symphonia as a preorder bonus" to explain the first 60k, it's now the "it was 12 dollars" for the other 340k ?

I'm talking Xillia. No updates on Zestiria and we likely won't ever. Price is a key factor with steam and with consoles as well. PSN sales had Xillia very low but we have no digital estimates, same with Zestiria. Doesn't steamspy show users from the beginning till now, so you could probably see how big of an effect these sales had.

Amazon's price depends on the basic principle of supply and demand. Zestiria is cheaper because there's a lot more unsold stock. Abyss 3D never really dropped in price because it was completely Out of Stock for a long time, enough to prompt GAF threads and news stories when it was reprinted.

I find it hard to believe Tales of Xillia PS3 is more in demand than Tales of Zestiria PS4 lol

Will F

Just ordered D5 from Amazon and this is what they are saying:

Pre-ordered
Delivery estimate: We need a little more time to provide you with a good estimate. We'll notify you via e-mail as soon as we have an estimated delivery date.

The hunger for new Switch games is real. Going to wait and see, but i'm starting to think I may have to go digital if I want to play it close to the release date.

I'm talking Xillia. No updates on Zestiria and we likely won't ever. Price is a key factor with steam and with consoles as well. PSN sales had Xillia very low but we have no digital estimates, same with Zestiria. Doesn't steamspy show users from the beginning till now, so you could probably see how big of an effect these sales had.

It was at 350k before the last two -75% off sale, which are the last two visible. Done downplaying ?

Oregano

I find it hard to believe Tales of Xillia PS3 is more in demand than Tales of Zestiria PS4 lol

It doesn't have to be if there's a lot less supply lol

Rpgmonkey

I think this is the more close analysis. There isn't really much indication that Tales games sell better than or even really on par on non-PlayStation consoles in Japan on average, and their releases on other platforms have been pretty diverse over the years. Abyss 3DS vs the Vita remakes is the biggest instance of crossed streams, and that may be more the fault of the product than the platform as their sales are just...abnormally bad and not the kind of follow-up to the PSP's Tales catalog I think people were interested in (on handhelds people generally seem to prefer the lighter crossover spinoffs over lengthy, traditionally-structured games). Not that this means it's not worth trying a PS4/Switch game in the future and seeing the sales split and overall change, as I think the system will generally be stronger with Japanese RPGs than the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U were and may spur some growth.

In the West there are signs that it's more spread out and the series does have some broader appeal to people besides those who buy and primarily play on Sony consoles. Probably a couple different reasons for that.

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, a Disgaea thread isn't the place to have a discussion about the Tales series? I know, crazy thought.

This is true, so I won't throw in any more comments. :p

Nanashrew

Banned
I think this is the more close analysis. There isn't really much indication that Tales games sell better than or even really on par on non-PlayStation consoles in Japan on average, and their releases on other platforms have been pretty diverse over the years. Abyss 3DS vs the Vita remakes is the biggest instance of crossed streams, and that may be more the fault of the product than the platform as their sales are just...abnormally bad and not the kind of follow-up to the PSP's Tales catalog I think people were interested in (on handhelds people generally seem to prefer the lighter crossover spinoffs over lengthy, traditionally-structured games). Not that this means it's not worth trying a PS4/Switch game in the future and seeing the sales split and overall change, as I think the system will generally be stronger with Japanese RPGs than the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U were and may spur some growth.

In the West there are signs that it's more spread out and the series does have some broader appeal to people besides those who buy and primarily play on Sony consoles. Probably a couple different reasons for that.

This is true, so I won't throw in any more comments. :p

Well in the west, you generally take what you can get. Because Namco is never localizing the director's cut's or original depending on which they localize. They only ever localize one version of a game. These days there's no director's cut though at least.

Or maybe, JUST MAYBE, a Disgaea thread isn't the place to have a discussion about the Tales series? I know, crazy thought.

Yeah, I feel kinda bad I derailed the thread with my response to someone =x

This thread does exist and it's a better place for the discussion these games http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1372524&page=8

How the hell did this thread become about Tales?

(Fair warning, I'm about to weigh in to that debate though ;) )

Remember when a mobile port on 3DS outsold remakes of mainline games on Vita?

I can't tell if this is sarcasm or something and if so it's gone right over my head, but no, I don't remember that:

408./114. [3DS] Tales of the World: Reve Unitia <SLG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2014.10.23} (¥5.210) - 10.470 / 82.358 (-85%) (47.037 <50,24%>)

750. [PSV] Tales of Innocence R <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2012.01.26} (¥5.980) - 4.546 / 90.162
792. [PSV] Tales of Hearts R # <RPG> (Bandai Namco Games) {2013.03.07} (¥6.480) - 2.907 / 91.957 (55.258 <67,79%>)

Not in first week nor lifetime sales. But neither is anything that should be bragged about really.

All I can say regarding Tales discussion is that I hope Namco puts in effort into making their Switch Tales game a success overseas. Part of the reason why I think Disgaea 5 Complete has performed so well on Switch is that NISA made the effort to ensure all the pieces were in place:

1) It was the first third party game to go up for pre-order, with full details, on January 13. We got an image of the game case, and all the limited edition bonuses, on that day, and you could purchase a copy (albeit only in North America) that day.

2) NISA has made an effort to push it via social media channels, Nintendo included it in a Direct

3) NISA has been showcasing the game at various events, including Nintendo's own Switch hands-on events. People know the game exists.

Makes you wonder how I am Setsuna would have done if Square Enix bothered to push it instead of releasing a couple of trailers on YouTube and calling it a day. It'd be risky producing it on a game card and no one knew whether there'd be interest in games of its ilk on Switch before launch, but Bravely Default succeeded for similar reasons that Disgaea 5 did, publisher Nintendo put in the effort and the game was of a perceivably high quality that delivered.

If Namco produces a Tales game specifically for the Switch, be it an original title, or an enhanced port, or remake, it shouldn't treat it like it isn't important in non-Japan markets. And if it's a simultaneous release of the next game, they should give it as much attention as they did Tales of Zestiria when that game marked the series' debut on PC.

Given the Switch active userbase right now is going to consist of both game enthusiasts and Nintendo fans, Namco should be in a good position with Tales. Enthusiasts are likely to have engaged with Tales of games before, and Nintendo fans will probably have fond memories of Symphonia on GC and Phantasia on GBA.

ncslamm

Add one to the NA preorder list. I've never played one of these games but I've heard how insanely addicting they can be. I figured why Not? Preordered through BB with GCU discount.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
All I can say regarding Tales discussion is that I hope Namco puts in effort into making their Switch Tales game a success overseas. Part of the reason why I think Disgaea 5 Complete has performed so well on Switch is that NISA made the effort to ensure all the pieces were in place:

1) It was the first third party game to go up for pre-order, with full details, on January 13. We got an image of the game case, and all the limited edition bonuses, on that day, and you could purchase a copy (albeit only in North America) that day.

2) NISA has made an effort to push it via social media channels, Nintendo included it in a Direct

3) NISA has been showcasing the game at various events, including Nintendo's own Switch hands-on events. People know the game exists.

Makes you wonder how I am Setsuna would have done if Square Enix bothered to push it instead of releasing a couple of trailers on YouTube and calling it a day. It'd be risky producing it on a game card and no one knew whether there'd be interest in games of its ilk on Switch before launch, but Bravely Default succeeded for similar reasons that Disgaea 5 did, publisher Nintendo put in the effort and the game was of a perceivably high quality that delivered.

If Namco produces a Tales game specifically for the Switch, be it an original title, or an enhanced port, or remake, it shouldn't treat it like it isn't important in non-Japan markets. And if it's a simultaneous release of the next game, they should give it as much attention as they did Tales of Zestiria when that game marked the series' debut on PC.

Given the Switch active userbase right now is going to consist of both game enthusiasts and Nintendo fans, Namco should be in a good position with Tales. Enthusiasts are likely to have engaged with Tales of games before, and Nintendo fans will probably have fond memories of Symphonia on GC and Phantasia on GBA.
Great comment, NIS did what is needed to get the preorders they have now.

Crap, I better preorder this... I had anticipated just going into a GameStop/Best Buy and just buying it day 1. But I would hate to not actually get a physical copy day 1.

Top Bottom