• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) hits 110K pre-orders in the West versus 20K sold in Japan

KtSlime

To be honest, I always thought the western Nintendo fanbase was much bigger into jrpgs then the Japanese Nintendo fanbase.

You should keep in mind that the biggest series in Japan are still JRPGs, and with the exception of FF (which is loosing in popularity since it is stuck on home consoles) they are on Nintendo systems (and obviously smartphone).

I think the west has a broader taste when it comes to JRPGs though, so are more willing to try smaller/new/eccentric JRPGs than Japan which sticks mostly their core JRPG franchises (Pokemon, Dragon Quest).

Rpgmonkey

So he was just a Sony fanboy in the end. He did everything he could to make Tales fans on Vita/PS3.

Tales originated on Nintendo hardware ...

They should definitely consider PS4/Switch for these games from here out.

I think if they continued with 3DS games it could have basically taken the PSP's place and gotten spinoffs, but like a lot of Japanese developers they pulled back on putting those on dedicated gaming handhelds in favor of mobile. Wii U was the Wii U. The Switch is a seemingly healthier platform with much better capabilities, and I would guess they're giving it another shot this year to see if it can help them expand the core line of games' footprint in the market, especially in Japan where the sales ceiling on the PS4 has generally fallen from the PS3.

Vita was a (kinda half-assed) attempt at seeing how a more traditional-style Tales would sell on a Sony handheld, but considering that initiative was both announced and subsequently killed in a little over a year, it seems weird to act like they put a lot of weight into it...

I think if they continued with 3DS games it could have basically taken the PSP's place and gotten spinoffs, but like a lot of Japanese developers they pulled back on putting those on dedicated gaming handhelds in favor of mobile. Wii U was the Wii U. The Switch is a seemingly healthier platform with much better capabilities, and I would guess they're giving it another shot this year to see if it can help them expand the core line of games' footprint in the market, especially in Japan where the sales ceiling on the PS4 has generally fallen from the PS3.

Vita was a (kinda half-assed) attempt at seeing how a more traditional-style Tales would sell on a Sony handheld, but considering that initiative was both announced and subsequently killed in a little over a year, it seems weird to act like they put a lot of weight into it...

When the first release bombed on vita why would they believe the second one would fare better?

Its because they put a lot of thought into it.

Rpgmonkey

When the first release bombed on vita why would they believe the second one would fare better?

Its because they put a lot of thought into it.

I mean I think they put some thought into it, in that Hearts R and Innocence R's development overlapped and the plan seemed to be to get the DS' mainline games to another platform and see how things go from there. They got Hearts R released a little over a year after Innocence R.

But no, it doesn't seem like it was a situation where Innocence R released, bombed, and then they decided to kick off development on Hearts R because they were super dedicated to the Vita. It seems like this was already in motion before Innocence R was actually released and they learned that this was going to be a disaster, lol. Short of a complete 180 in business strategy I don't think Japanese publishers tend to completely can projects either, so they just rolled with it and quickly moved on.

Astral Dog

Level 5 has nothing for Switch, right? I imagine Namco has something planned but they've been a bit stingy as well.
Atlus has pledged support so they're doing pretty well on that front.
The most baffling one is Capcom. Hope that changes in e3...for the better
Capcom have said multiple times they are interested in both original and multiplatform games on Switch,even working on porting their REngine to the system.

Of course there is the chance this uss all smoke (like Wii U?) but the interest is there

KtSlime

I mean I think they put some thought into it, in that Hearts R and Innocence R's development overlapped and the plan seemed to be to get the DS' mainline games to another platform and see how things go from there. They got Hearts R released a little over a year after Innocence R.

But no, it doesn't seem like it was a situation where Innocence R released, bombed, and then they decided to kick off development on Hearts R because they were super dedicated to the Vita. It seems like this was already in motion before Innocence R was actually released and they learned that this was going to be a disaster, lol. Short of a complete 180 in business strategy I don't think Japanese publishers tend to completely can projects either, so they just rolled with it and quickly moved on.

Either way, they made the wrong decisions, as 3DS would have likely been the better platform to release the games on. Even today Abyss sells well above the Welcome Price reprint.

Either way, they made the wrong decisions, as 3DS would have likely been the better platform to release the games on. Even today Abyss sells well above the Welcome Price reprint.
3DS should be able to support Innocence R too. If only BN really tried.

Rpgmonkey

Sure, I don't think that's necessarily an unfair or unreasonable assumption to make.

I just don't really see the circumstances surrounding the Vita games in particular as a key example of extreme Sony dedication. They look pretty cheap, as far as I know are still the worst performing games in the series' 20+ year history, and they jumped off that ship pretty much right after finishing development on them. I guess its more "special" than what the 3DS got, and I'm still a little surprised that Namco never pushed to continue the Radiant Mythology series on it, but if they managed to create less appealing products than a port of a game that was five years old at the time and wasn't even a 1:1 port of the original, they more than cancelled out whatever half-hearted red carpet treatment they were giving the Vita. Kinda hustling backwards there. :p

In a general sense I don't feel they ever took either handheld that seriously, which is a little surprising to me as it's a complete reversal from their fairly consistent and frequent DS/PSP support.

mstevens

As a total newcomer to the series, should I do some research on the game mechanics and try to min max stuff or is it pretty intuitive / well explained in game?

As a total newcomer to the series, should I do some research on the game mechanics and try to min max stuff or is it pretty intuitive / well explained in game?

Gameplay is very deep and the game is not going to explain every small detail to you, I suggest you go blind and research while playing. A lot of things won't make any sense until you play the game.

I wonder how long the battery will last with this game, I hope is more than 3 hours.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Jesus. This game bombed hard on PS4.

The numbers are very telling for Switch sales. Third parties better be gearing their games up now before they get lost in the wave.

I think it's doing on par with the PS4 as said in a previous post.

Wasn't October 2015 also packed when D5 PS4 came out on the West?

Zedark

It launched in the same week as Tales of Zestiria (and Dragon Quest Heroes?).

That said, Switch version is on track to outsell the PS4 version sales at launch, which is a pretty good result.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Preorders compared to actual units sold between the 2 platforms says alot, pre-orders will never tell the whole story of course but i think its rare to come across a game that sold less than its pre-orders

Mory Dunz

Not that Square is sitting on their thumbs, but this does make me feel that even a low budget FFTA3 could do well, eclipsing these numbers fairly easily imo.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
so frustrating that graces situation...

Tell me about it, Namco Bandai made some STUPID decisions regarding tales in the United States. Heck, they screwed up a bunch even in the "after phantasia" days, by not releasing a bunch of games after Tales of Destiny.

On Nintendo hardware, that was the ultimate example of killing the golden goose. They had many many many chances to make Tales the "next big JRPG series" in the United States after Symphonia and they screwed it up so much it is an textbook example of failed potential.

I think now, any Tales game will sell really well on the Switch, and especially if it gets day and date simultaneous new games. Of course, the series would also be a sales monster on Nintendo hardware selling 1,000,000+ units if they didn't shit the bed and screw up by not releasing Abyss on the Gamecube (for Japan and NA), Graces (in the USA), and cultivate name recognition by ignoring the 3DS after a late, half-assed Abyss port sold insanely well in the United States.

Brand is built over time, and using the goodwill from Tales of Symphonia for the Nintendo market would have cemented it as THE JRPG franchise to play on Nintendo consoles. My mind is blown at how stupid they were back then.

Gameplay is very deep and the game is not going to explain every small detail to you, I suggest you go blind and research while playing. A lot of things won't make any sense until you play the game.

I wonder how long the battery will last with this game, I hope is more than 3 hours.
This is great advice.

Also re battery life, I'll measure next time. I keep switching between this and Mario kart and isaac quickly in a single sesssion.

Nanashrew

Banned
Tell me about it, Namco Bandai made some STUPID decisions regarding tales in the United States. Heck, they screwed up a bunch even in the "after phantasia" days, by not releasing a bunch of games after Tales of Destiny.

Nintendo though, that was the ultimate example of killing the golden goose. They had many many many chances to make Tales the "next big JRPG series" in the United States after Symphonia and they screwed it up so much it is an textbook example of failed potential.

I think now, any Tales game will sell really well on the Switch and especially if it gets day and date simultaneous new games. Of course, the series would also be a sales monster on Nintendo hardware selling 1,000,000+ units if they didn't shit the bed and screw up by not releasing Abyss on the Gamecube (for Japan and NA), Graces (in the USA), and cultivate name recognition by ignoring the 3DS after a late, half-assed Abyss port sold insanely well in the United States.

Brand is built over time, and using the goodwill from Tales of Symphonia for the Nintendo market would have cemented it as THE JRPG franchise to play on Nintendo consoles. My mind is blown at how stupid they were back then.

I don't think there was much Nintendo could do except to localize and market their games (would have been nice for Graces and Hearts). I don't think they're going to pay for exclusivity. I'd put far more blame onto Namco for refusing to look at the WW trends for where their games were selling. They refused to look at the west for years and chose PlayStation for the Tales series because it sold well on that platform in Japan.

Passose

Banned

Nintendo though, that was the ultimate example of killing the golden goose. They had many many many chances to make Tales the "next big JRPG series" in the United States after Symphonia and they screwed it up so much it is an textbook example of failed potential.

I think now, any Tales game will sell really well on the Switch and especially if it gets day and date simultaneous new games. Of course, the series would also be a sales monster on Nintendo hardware selling 1,000,000+ units if they didn't shit the bed and screw up by not releasing Abyss on the Gamecube (for Japan and NA), Graces (in the USA), and cultivate name recognition by ignoring the 3DS after a late, half-assed Abyss port sold insanely well in the United States.

I blame Baba for that

Hcoregamer00

I don't think there was much Nintendo could do except to localize and market their games (would have been nice for Graces and Hearts). I don't think they're going to pay for exclusivity. I'd put far more blame onto Namco for refusing to look at the WW trends for where their games were selling. They refused to look at the west for years and chose PlayStation for the Tales series because it sold well on that platform in Japan.

Oh no, you are misinterpreting what I am saying.

I meant Tales brand management on Nintendo consoles is a example of killing the golden goose. I never meant to imply that Nintendo manages the brand or could have saved it, but that the brand had so much wasted potential on Nintendo consoles due to Namco's incompetence.

Yeah, I don't think it is fair to ask Nintendo to localize and market every game from Japan abroad, especially games that the actual IP holder/publisher will do on their own accord for other platforms.

Again, I clarified what I meant.

KtSlime

Yeah, I don't think it is fair to ask Nintendo to localize and market every game from Japan abroad, especially games that the actual IP holder/publisher will do on their own accord for other platforms.

Nanashrew

Banned

I meant Tales brand management on Nintendo consoles is a example of killing the golden goose. I never meant to imply that Nintendo manages the brand or could have saved it, but that the brand had so much wasted potential on Nintendo consoles due to Namco's incompetence.

Ohh! Sorry about that. I understand what you mean now and I agree.

Hcoregamer00

I blame Baba for that

Was baba responsible for using the Tales of Symphonia engine for Tales of the Abyss and then NOT releasing Tales of the Abyss in the Gabecube? I think that dumbass decision was before Hideo Baba's time.

Ohh! Sorry about that. I understand what you mean now and I agree.

Sorry about that >___<

I edited and fixed the wording of my original post to remove any confusion, I think it's time to sleep now.

Oxymoron

Eh, "not releasing a Gamecube game in late 2005 (JP)/fall 2006 (NA)" doesn't seem like that boneheaded a decision.

I guess the alternative could be "delay NA release by a month and put in a Wii port" but that's pretty hindsight 20/20 thinking.

Calm Mind

C_j1CWcUMAAiM9m.png

KtSlime

Ah, it looks like we posted about the same time. Yeah, I agree, Namco hasn't done the series any favors.

*Looks at avatar*

Square Enix publishes every Dragon Quest game in my country.
Japan

Jacobson

Will be grabbing this one once I buy a Switch this June, after E3. Japanese version is actually available in local stores here, but is pricier than usual.

On Nintendo hardware, that was the ultimate example of killing the golden goose. They had many many many chances to make Tales the "next big JRPG series" in the United States after Symphonia and they screwed it up so much it is an textbook example of failed potential.

I think now, any Tales game will sell really well on the Switch, and especially if it gets day and date simultaneous new games. Of course, the series would also be a sales monster on Nintendo hardware selling 1,000,000+ units if they didn't shit the bed and screw up by not releasing Abyss on the Gamecube (for Japan and NA), Graces (in the USA), and cultivate name recognition by ignoring the 3DS after a late, half-assed Abyss port sold insanely well in the United States.

Tales of Graces bombed, the port f did much better on PS3 and then Xillia became their best selling entry since the multiplatform Symphonia.

The majority of the Tales fanbase being on Playstation is evident, just like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts etc

Tales of Graces bombed, the port f did much better on PS3 and then Xillia became their best selling entry since the multiplatform Symphonia.

The majority of the Tales fanbase being on Playstation is evident, just like Final Fantasy or Kingdom Hearts etc

Graces on wii shipped with game breaking bugs, that hardly helped its sales

KtSlime

Tales of Graces was buggy as hell, so the fixed port f did much better on PS3 and then Xillia became their best selling entry since the multiplatform Symphonia.

Fixed that for you.

We will never know how well Graces would have done on the Wii if it was released World Wide.

Nanashrew

Banned

Two reasons for that. Graces shipped with game breaking bugs, and Namco poisoned the well for non-PlayStation platforms because you just have to wait for the director's cut version.

I think Xillia reaching Symphonia's numbers only aids to the conversation in how Namco fumbles with the series that it took that long to get another major success like that. Especially in the west.

Oregano

You're talking just about Japan here(which is highly unusual for you). In the west Symphonia 2 and Abyss 3D(and Vesperia for that matter) performed better than the Playstation games up until the recent renewed push.

Two reasons for that. Graces shipped with game breaking bugs, and Namco poisoned the well for non-PlayStation platforms because you just have to wait for the director's cut version.

I think Xillia reaching Symphonia's numbers only aids to the conversation in how Namco fumbles with the series that it took that long to get another major success like that. Especially in the west.

Don't forget the fact that Tales of Graces shipped sandwiched between New Super Mario Bros Wii and Final Fantasy XIII.

Soph

Hi I'm Psycho Mantis and today I'm cherrypicking a terrible tales release to conclude that the Tales audience just isn't on Nintendo consoles.

I'm not dense, it's clearly evident to everybody! Oh and that goes for Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy as well!

Oregano

I forgot to respond to this but I think that's a meaningless point in the grand scheme of things. There's always going to be more competition on PS4 than Switch so if it's enough to tip the scales that much(keeping in mind the massive install base disparity) then Switch is a going to be a more attractive platform for smaller releases.

Whatever fits the narrative will do

Remember when a mobile port on 3DS outsold remakes of mainline games on Vita?

Not that Square is sitting on their thumbs, but this does make me feel that even a low budget FFTA3 could do well, eclipsing these numbers fairly easily imo.
Especially now with lots of Nintendo fans enjoying SRPG through FE.

I hope SE goes rampage on Switch, give us FFVR, FFTA3 and FFCC!

Scrawnton

I got this game preordered on Amazon already! I never played a Disgaea game but I had a blast with tactics games in the last and loved them. I passed on the PS4 version because huge RPGs like this are not good for tv play only IMO. The Switch version is the perfect game to follow up Zelda and Mario Kart.

Zedark

Can I get a temperature take from people who played the following two games?

- Disgaea 5;
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

I played FFT:A on the Gameboy Advance and loved it quite a bit. Disgaea 5 looks similar in gameplay style, so I'm interested in seeing how you guys feel about both. If we assigned to FFT:A a number 10 (not a scale of 1-10 here, mind you), would you rate Disgaea 5 over or under 10? Cheers!

Top Bottom