• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) hits 110K pre-orders in the West versus 20K sold in Japan

Falcom didn't produce that, Mastiff did. By the same token though maybe we get lucky and NISA, Xseed, Aksys and Dotemu start paying to port their games to Switch too.

Falcom didn't even bother publishing it in Japan. Hopefully Mastiff will get Opus Studio (who did the Steam and 3DS ports) to do a Switch version based on the Steam version in 1080p and 60fps, alongside a retail release.

I do hope NIS announce more Switch games soon. It's bizarre that they've announced like a dozen games since January and none have been announced for Switch yet.

Already bought the Japanese version otherwise I would've pre-ordered as well. Wonder how many more of the 20k sold in Japan were exports to the West.

Also I'd love for the Ys games to get Switch ports. I'd rebuy Origin/Felgana/1+2 if they made it over for the portability factor alone (plus I still haven't finished my Nightmare runs).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
it's probably gonna do an easy 400k-500k by the end of the year in the us. i think people are underestimating it. it's been in the top 100 on amazon for the last couple of months.

Depends on if Capcom's channel stuffing capabilties have truly died. I mean they managed to ship 1 million of SFIV 3D.

ldar247

Banned
Vita developers jumping on board Switch would great, though I'd rather have bigger console japanese games like Nier or Ace Combat on it. Still whatever happens it'll be a huge improvement over what we got on 3DS. That system's third party library was just a garbage dump outside of MH and SMT, one of which is already announced .

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Depends on if Capcom's channel stuffing capabilties have truly died. I mean they managed to ship 1 million of SFIV 3D.

While I think SF II will do well on the Switch I still think Capcom cost themselves a decent chunk of sales not being there day one.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Agreed. Bomberman snapped up a lot of those impulse multiplayer purchases.

SF IV 3D was the launch game to get. I bought Shadow Wars to go along with it as a single player game the next day because it was on sale. The theory is sound.

Now obviously with Zelda in the way it wasn't going to repeat that, but people wanted something to play with people.

Passose

Banned
Vita developers jumping on board Switch would great, though I'd rather have bigger console japanese games like Nier or Ace Combat on it. Still whatever happens it'll be a huge improvement over what we got on 3DS. That system's third party library was just a garbage dump outside of MH and SMT, one of which is already announced .
you mean Bravely series, DQ series,Yokai Watch series, Layton series and a lot more are just a garbage dump?

Waji

What would I give for a PS1-PS2 Jrpg era to come back, but on the Switch (exclusive or not, I don't care).

Whatever, that's nice result, can't wait for E3.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
As someone who hangs in those circles it does ring a bit true.

It's not like they haven't tried in the past, albeit with some very shoddy efforts like Disgaea DS, the awful Rhapsody remake, a Wii port of Phantom Brave and a bunch of really niche efforts on DS/3DS. They never put their full effort in until D5, which happened to align with a hot new system launch and at a power level in line with the rest of their output.
Yea its def true

I think the thing about the Switch, is that in addition to people who will only own a Nintendo system/portable (or portables in general), there will be people who will buy a game that they otherwise wouldn't have because of the versatility of how it lets you play when and where you want. 60 hr jrpgs might not be an insurmountable hurdle anymore. So it opens up new markets for 3rd parties in 2 ways. Then there will be some who would have still bought it on other consoles, but prefer it on Switch for the versatility. So yeah It doesn't surprise me to see Switch 3rd parties have great success. I expect that to continue.

gnomed

Nippon Ichi was one of the first Japanese third parties to come out hard in support of Switch. They are now reaping the rewards.

It's nice to hear this is one of the situations with a good outcome when a publisher chooses to support a certain niche and consumers are spending. Well deserved.

Zedark

I think the thing about the Switch, is that in addition to people who will only own a Nintendo portable, there will be people who will buy a game that they otherwise wouldn't have because of the versatility of how it lets you play when and where you want. 60 hr jrpgs might not be an insurmountable hurdle anymore. So it opens up new markets for 3rd parties in 2 ways. Then there will be some who would have still bought it on other consoles, but prefer it on Switch for the versatility.
This is the reason I want to get Disgaea 5 on Switch whereas on PS4 the 100s of hours seemed a bit daunting. Portable it is much less daunting, since I can chip away at it during bus rides and other moments in-between "proper" Play sessions.

ldar247

Banned
ok.jpg. Trying too hard now.

Pretty pathetic digging up my post history like that boyo. Like I told the other guy, some people just have different/higher standards than others. No point in getting mad at people not liking things you like.

Passose

Banned
Pretty pathetic digging up my post history like that boyo. Like I told the other guy, some people just have different/higher standards than others. No point in getting mad at people not liking things you like.
I don't know if this guy is just a typical fanboy or a troll :p

Also I'd love for the Ys games to get Switch ports. I'd rebuy Origin/Felgana/1+2 if they made it over for the portability factor alone (plus I still haven't finished my Nightmare runs).

What if I told you there was a portable console out there that could play all the games you listed as of the end of this month!?

(And since you're in a Disgaea thread I assume you like Disgaea game, so it's got 4 of those games too!)

I do hope NIS announce more Switch games soon. It's bizarre that they've announced like a dozen games since January and none have been announced for Switch yet.

Presumably all of these were in development long before Disgaea 5 exploded. It does really reek of D5 just being a 'dip a toe in the water' kind of game.

I do fully expect that Minecraft clone to come to Switch though.

Cerium

Welp this used to be a nice thread.

Eolz

I'm sorry that your post history is just going into threads to just try to get a reaction out of other people. Only reason why I did that.
Let's get back on topic instead of saying that the 3DS is garbage for no reason in a Switch thread.

Ponn

Banned
I think the thing about the Switch, is that in addition to people who will only own a Nintendo system/portable (or portables in general), there will be people who will buy a game that they otherwise wouldn't have because of the versatility of how it lets you play when and where you want. 60 hr jrpgs might not be an insurmountable hurdle anymore. So it opens up new markets for 3rd parties in 2 ways. Then there will be some who would have still bought it on other consoles, but prefer it on Switch for the versatility. So yeah It doesn't surprise me to see Switch 3rd parties have great success. I expect that to continue.

Bingo. People underestimate how many gamers are now grown with kids that just can't sit in front of a TV playing videogames all day. The TV's may be already taken by other household members and kids, people binging Netflix, etc. Switch and portable gaming opens up the ability to play games like Disgaea that can be long grinds. I bought Disgaea 5 with all the dlc on sale for PS4 a long time ago and never touched it. I have the switch version preordered because i'm 10 times more likely to play games on a portable, its just so much easier. I can grind while on the toilet, life can't get any more perfect.

Jokepost right.

3DS had an amazing third party library.

What if I told you there was a portable console out there that could play all the games you listed as of the end of this month!?

(And since you're in a Disgaea thread I assume you like Disgaea game, so it's got 4 of those games too!)

I already have a PSTV, and don't feel like buying another console to play Vita games on the go. There are a decent number of good games for the platform though.

Anyone have any insight as to why the game is struggling in Japan? The game feels very Japanese, and it's so far removed from appealing to mainstream Western sensibilities. From what I gather Switch has been doing well over there and this port means handheld gaming so it's not like the "Japan doesn't like home consoles" thing applies.

I remember when this first came out there were rumblings that there won't be a Disgaea 6. Hopefully the international numbers help change that.

Eolz

Anyone have any insight as to why the game is struggling in Japan? The game feels very Japanese, and it's so far removed from appealing to mainstream Western sensibilities. From what I gather Switch has been doing well over there and this port means handheld gaming so it's not like the "Japan doesn't like home consoles" thing applies.

I remember when this first came out there were rumblings that there won't be a Disgaea 6. Hopefully the international numbers help change that.

The original game didn't do well in Japan, the vita fanbase hasn't transitioned yet to Switch, and the port is really late there as well. As NIS is saying, they were kinda expecting it.
Disgaea is more popular in the west than in Japan.

Might have something to do with the long nature of the series and how it's designed to spend at least 100 hours on each entry and the working class just doesn't have the time for it.

Then again Persona is popular!

I fully expect Disgaea 6 to be day and date on PS4 and Switch.

Now if only Falcom could follow suit...

Considering most of there audience are on portable and they basically left Vita for PS4 I don't think its gonna end well for them in the long-term.

Sometimes you have to set aside your bias to run a business.

Draxal

I wouldn't mind seeing more strategy or turn based RPGs on the Switch. I do enjoy playing them docked at home, but being able to pause and take it with out works great for these games. Maybe we'll see an XCOM port or FFT or just more RPGs in general (SE could do little wrong in bringing their entire catalog over). Whatever the case, this definitely is a pretty surprising number of pre-orders for a port I didn't think would even hit 100k lifetime sales on.

To be honest, I always thought the western Nintendo fanbase was much bigger into jrpgs then the Japanese Nintendo fanbase.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
1. If your name is DQ.
2. If you are the most niche of niche games, some of which don't even come out in the US.

If neither 1 or 2 is the case then the game is going to sell better in the west.

Seeing how the DS and 3DS were flooded with high quality jrpgs that comment doesn't really make sense

I think Nintendo Fanbase refers to fans of the company as a game maker. I don't really care for Nintendo games(and thus never had a Wii or WiiU because I didn't think it offered enough outside of Nintendo games) but I still had both a DS and 3DS because they had quite a few games in the library I liked.

Draxal

Seeing how the DS and 3DS were flooded with high quality jrpgs that comment doesn't really make sense

Err, I don't know what you were trying to say and how it relates to what I said? As for some relatively recent JRPS that sold well in Japan initally, both Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening sold more in the west.

DQXI? Octopath traveler?

Fularu

Banned
Err, I don't know what you were trying to say and how it relates to what I said? As for some relatively recent JRPS that sold well in Japan initally, both Bravely Default and Fire Emblem Awakening sold more in the west.
The vast majority of the DS and 3DS jrpg library never made it outside of Japan.

Again your comment makes little sense. Outside of the N64 and the Wii every Nintendo system has had a flood of high quality jRPGs

Nategc20

Banned
Any game thats mildly decent will sale on the switch. Any decent game. Its technically the next mainline handheld from Nintendo that just so happens to also play like a console on the tv. It sells itself. A fucking katamari damacy remake would sale on this,and im betting that new street fighting 2 game will be huge.

The game sold what it shipped. You can't really fault it for that. From what we have heard in the Media Create threads the game is fairly hard to find over there. If NIS had a second shipment it might sell a little better. Also the original Disgaea 5 on PS4 barely did better.

Fularu

Banned
Any game thats mildly decent will sale on the switch. Any decent game. Its technically the next mainline handheld from Nintendo that just so happens to also play like a console on the tv. It sells itself. A fucking katamari damacy remake would sale.
Which is why Just Dance is flying off shelves...

Or Skylanders

Top Bottom