• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) hits 110K pre-orders in the West versus 20K sold in Japan

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Thank you for buying Disgaea 5 Complete for Switch

Here is Disgaea 6 for PS4.

This is how NIS works? They announce the first version for PS then the port. Usually was PSP and Vita. Switch will probably be no different. Dont expect NIS to up and not release for PS first.

Passose

Banned
dont joke like that, that has happened before, multiple times D:

Tales of series being a prime example
They will release Disgaea 6 for switch................ Japan-only, localize only the Ps4 version and then blame the switch for not having "the Disgaea audience"

I want to get this but it's £50 which seems a bit steep, I've got setsuna coming anyway so that should keep me going for a while.

Thinking of buying from the eShop for this one. Seems like it'd be a pretty great game to just always have saved on the system. Is there really any compelling reason to go physical, considering Disgaea games usually go for about a quarter on the secondary market?

gbland

I'm tempted to get this myself, but the new fire emblem is coming out around the same time. Might wait till I need another JRPG scratch. Persona 5 and fire emblem will fill that gap for now.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
a result like this is one of those things that forces a hard shift in a direction for a company... especially when another source of revenue (sony handhelds) has been a dying platform for years.

Well NIS shifted support to Switch BEFORE porting Disgaea 5

They already stated their support strategy and confirmed other games coming to switch

This result will cement their plans

Principate

Saint Titanfall
This is how NIS works? They announce the first version for PS then the port. Usually was PSP and Vita. Switch will probably be no different. Dont expect NIS to up and not release for PS first.

Both of those are dead or almost dead and the Ps4 like the switch seemingly isn't doing too hot for their domestic sales. It'll probably still end up like that but these aren't usual times.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wouldn't mind seeing more strategy or turn based RPGs on the Switch. I do enjoy playing them docked at home, but being able to pause and take it with out works great for these games. Maybe we'll see an XCOM port or FFT or just more RPGs in general (SE could do little wrong in bringing their entire catalog over). Whatever the case, this definitely is a pretty surprising number of pre-orders for a port I didn't think would even hit 100k lifetime sales on.

Never underestimate the number of people that are Nintendo only too. Every time I see a game franchise released on a nintendo system that hadn't historically been there before (not counting disgaea ds in this case) new fans, who bought the game for the nintendo release, act like it's completely new and the best thing since sliced bread. Sometimes it's jarring to see the reactions and new popularity of these titles.

Good to hear. I don't have a Switch yet, but I was thinking about preordering it because of the prime discount, but I'm guessing it'll be cheaper when I do get a switch.

Nairume

Banned
After this, I expect NIS to go full PS4/Switch multilatform with same day release.

The sales speak for themselves
Well, I could see the afforementioned late Switch updated port like they've done for the other games. That said, it sounds like they actually wanted D5 to be a multiplat release between the PS4 and the PSV/3 to begin with, but the later weren't able to run the game as is. So maybe subsequent games will be multiplat after all.

If D6 is PS4 only at first, I expect they do a bunch of cost cutting measures.

Cerium

Thank you for buying Disgaea 5 Complete for Switch

Here is Disgaea 6 for PS4.

NIS CEO back in January before anyone knew the Switch would be a hit:

That's true. As you've said, we are a software company that has grown together with Playstation, and are well aware that a lot of our fans are on Playstation platforms. So it is not as if we will stop developing games for Playstation. Overseas, Playstation 4 sales are incredibly strong and we will continue making games for the Playstation 4 platform.

However, in Japan we can't just ignore the move to portable gaming consoles. Our games are well suited for portable gaming, so when you think about it, it is important for PS4 and Nintendo Switch to balance each other out and do well. With that in mind, from here on multiplatform develpment for PS4 and Nintendo Switch is very much a possibility.

They also promised more support to follow:

With Famitsu, Niikawa said that Disgaea 5 was chosen as NIS' first title on Switch because they felt it would be a big hurdle to bring out something completely new at launch and wanted something that would go smoothly. As well, it was also chosen because of the demand for a portable version, which was not possible on the Vita but is on the Switch.

The biggest news however, was when it was asked if NIS will make more games for Switch, and Niikawa responded with a definitive yes. He said they will not just make a game for launch and call it quits. He then asked that gamers stay tuned for announcements coming soon.

Nippon Ichi was one of the first Japanese third parties to come out hard in support of Switch. They are now reaping the rewards.

They already stated their support strategy and confirmed other games coming to switch

Correct.

EDarkness

It seems to be by far the best version considering it has all the rip off microtransactions and an extra/different costume. Think maybe the quality of the game may have an effect since it doesn't seem to have the strongest word of mouth unless your a big Fate fan.

I hope the game is good, and I'm going in with a bit of faith. I haven't seen much buzz so far, but to be honest, I don't run in the circles that may be interested in the game to begin with. So under the surface there may be quite a few folks who are excited about the game. Honestly, I want more of these kinds of games on the system, so I'm all for it. Who knows how it'll go when the game releases, but I hope it's good and sells well enough for them. Based on what they've said so far, the PS4 version seems to have done well so maybe that bodes well for the NS version.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
They will release Disgaea 6 for switch................ Japan-only, localize only the Ps4 version and then blame the switch for not having "the Disgaea audience"

I see what you did thar

(For those who don't know, this is reference to Tales of Graces for the Wii)

Yup, this is great for everyone.

NIS lives, Nintendo gets a stream of games.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Both of those are dead or almost dead and the Ps4 like the switch seemingly isn't doing too hot for their domestic sales. It'll probably still end up like that but these aren't usual times.

Well, yeah. NIS always had that s condary playform. Switch will slide into that spot. Until they start announcing day and date titles anyway.

They need to up their game on PC too. Audience to be found there but starting at Disgaea 1 was silly.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

However, in Japan we can't just ignore the move to portable gaming consoles. Our games are well suited for portable gaming, so when you think about it, it is important for PS4 and Nintendo Switch to balance each other out and do well. With that in mind, from here on multiplatform develpment for PS4 and Nintendo Switch is very much a possibility.

Nippon Ichi was one of the first Japanese third parties to come out hard in support of Switch. They are now reaping the rewards.

But nobody bought it :(

Cerium

Well, yeah. NIS always had that s condary playform. Switch will slide into that spot. Until they start announcing day and date titles anyway.

They need to up their game on PC too. Audience to be found there but starting at Disgaea 1 was silly.
I fully expect Disgaea 6 to be day and date on PS4 and Switch.

Now if only Falcom could follow suit...

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Never underestimate the number of people that are Nintendo only too. Every time I see a game franchise released on a nintendo system that hadn't historically been there before (not counting disgaea ds in this case) new fans, who bought the game for the nintendo release, act like it's completely new and the best thing since sliced bread. Sometimes it's jarring to see the reactions and new popularity of these titles.

This is definitely true, which really just means there are unfilled niches on the platform. Shooters and sports games are the big ones... we'll be waiting.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

As someone who hangs in those circles it does ring a bit true.

It's not like they haven't tried in the past, albeit with some very shoddy efforts like Disgaea DS, the awful Rhapsody remake, a Wii port of Phantom Brave and a bunch of really niche efforts on DS/3DS. They never put their full effort in until D5, which happened to align with a hot new system launch and at a power level in line with the rest of their output.

Shinkawa has talked in interviews about how expanding your games on many platforms is important for reaching a broader audience(it's why they tried Steam) so I don't think you have to worry about abandoning PS4 for Switch or ignoring Switch or anything like that.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I think handheld wise this shouldn't be that odd. Nintendo handhelds traditionally sell 70 million plus the chance some of them will not own a different platform is fairly high.

Falcom? Not gonna happen. They'll be Playstation only until they're dead. Heh, heh.

Gurumin-3D-Ann.jpg

Ehhh they really need to fix their perception of france, spain and italy anime games.
No people at INIS, France didnt had a boom of anime on the last decade, france (and spain and italy) have always had a big culture of japan, manga and anime since the 80's (and was consuming anime even before that).
The problem is you dont translate your fucking anime games into PAL5, thats why they sell less in countries were it could have sold a lot more if translated. Its not that the uk was the strong market for anime games before and not anymore (anime culture in the UK was never that big), is that before, it was bigger market for games in general and now it isnt anymore.
Instead of trying to fix the UK market to sell more there, something that is probably impossible, what you really need to do is try to treat better France, Spain and Italy so the 3 of them can pick up the slack from the UK market.

The same thing for Atlus btw.

Bandai namco's anime games, that are in most cases less popular, do sell better in this three countries than others. If you wonder why let me tell you a secret...
They translate them.

A year from now I think we all will be surprised by how much Japanese third party support Switch will have.

Take the Japanese third party support of vita and combine it with the Nintendo first party support of 3ds and you get the switch. This thing is going to be an absolute monster.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
A year from now I think we all will be surprised by how much Japanese third party support Switch will have.

Take the Japanese third party support of vita and combine it with the Nintendo first party support of 3ds and you get the switch. This thing is going to be an absolute monster.

You're forgetting that the 3DS also has excellent 3rd party Japanese support so it should in reality be even better. 3DS got all of the big budget portable titles last gen, 3rd party included.

I have my pre-order on Amazon.ca. I'd get digital for that comfort factor, but at the end of the whole transaction it'd cost me $90 vs the physical copy that I will be getting with the Prime discount, which is $72. It's a huge price difference.

Correct.

I remember all this...but didn't NIS then proceed to announce about 4 games after then, none of which weren't for Switch? Which I thought was disappointing, since the comments made it sound like almost everything going forward would be on Switch (even stuff like Yomawari, which would be a good fit and quick to port).

Will be interesting to see what happens post-Disgaea 5's worldwide release, I suspect part of the problem is the late arrival of dev kits for most publishers.

EDarkness

Oh, they've dabbled in Nintendo stuff. I think I even have a copy of Ys III on the SNES, but generally they're Playstation and that's where they put all of their effort. I guess there's nothing wrong with that, but I think it would benefit them to branch out a bit with some of their big franchises. If they're content with how they're games are selling, then more power to 'em. They're probably one of the more die-hard Playstation companies out there, though. I guess it doesn't matter to me that much since I still buy their games.

Top Bottom