• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) hits 110K pre-orders in the West versus 20K sold in Japan

It's actually more that it fits in with the existing trends.

This is similar to the PS4 results for Disgaea 5 overseas, and Disgaea 1 did similar numbers on PC as well.

It's just that Japan isn't as interesting in their own consoles games anymore in many cases.

Of course, another platform coming in with these kinds of sales is an even bigger boon to them.

Well regardless I am happy to see these games get even just a little traction in the west.

AniHawk

Imagine how much better the sales would have been if it was one of Western Launch Titles, they had an English Version ready two months ago.

while it seems good on paper, i'm not sure if that would have been the right move.

at this stage, d5c is the first $59.99 game on the switch since launch that is basically only a single player game. that would have put it directly against zelda. the post-launch period gave it time to stand out in a time where there were a lot more budget-priced titles and multiplayer games.

I'm going to give in now and just pre-order. I've never played a Disgaea but I've only heard really good things. Should I pick up 1 and/or 2 on PC while they're on sale?

Oh, I had no idea. I should've googled.

I'm hoping they do something with Makai Kingdom. Obviously it'll never happen but that one was my favorite due to the vehicles and house mechanics thing they had going on.

If you're interested then Disgaea 1 and 2 are both on sale on the Humble Store.

Disgaea 2 - 25% off

Disgaea 1 - 50% off

AniHawk

Great to see Japanese third-parties having success on the Switch. Bodes well for future support.

a result like this is one of those things that forces a hard shift in a direction for a company... especially when another source of revenue (sony handhelds) has been a dying platform for years.

I ordered the limited edition from nisa. This must succeed for Japanese third party support to flourish. Plus it is a great game and a great series.

while it seems good on paper, i'm not sure if that would have been the right move.

at this stage, d5c is the first $59.99 game on the switch since launch that is basically only a single player game. that would have put it directly against zelda. the post-launch period gave it time to stand out in a time where there were a lot more budget-priced titles and multiplayer games.

I actually think they've timed this perfectly, most launch buyers have now completed zelda (at least completed the main story) so will be wanting another meaty single player game

kromeo

I suspect a lot of developers are probably thinking they missed a trick with the Switch launch, I don't mean this as any kind of wind up but it looks like Switch owners will buy up any game in large numbers at the moment

Hero

a result like this is one of those things that forces a hard shift in a direction for a company... especially when another source of revenue (sony handhelds) has been a dying platform for years.

It'd be pretty foolish for almost all the Japanese publishers/developers to ignore Switch at this point. I expect a lot more support announcement from E3 to TGS this year.

Yeah, at least I can see most JPN devs going for both Switch and PS4 where they previously would've gone Vita/PS4 only.
Especially as the last handheld in the market with Vita basically being dead and 3DS slowing down

ys45

Japanese developers can no longer use the "the game will not sell in Na/Europe" argument for localization.

And that's great because we will no longer miss out some great titles from Japan :)

CANLI

Hi from Belgium.
I am interested to order Disgaea. Can we play on an English/French version with Japanese Dub?
Hated that Sega didn't do this for Puyo Puyo. English voices are shitty there..

The fact that we can choose the dub in a game is very important for me.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
Japanese developers can no longer use the "the game will not sell in Na/Europe" argument for localization.

And that's great because we will no longer miss out some great titles from Japan :)
Disgaea's main market was always West. I don't see what changed now.

Whizkid7

Count me as one of those preorders - well, technically two since my girlfriend bought me one after I'd already bought one and I just decided to hang onto it. I was sold on it since it was first announced. Here's hoping this makes them consider more Switch titles in the future.

Nairume

Banned
They got tired of Disgaea and didn't want to pay full price for a years old port?
It's probably more the former than the later, too.

It only got a little more than 20k in its first week (which, given the then userbase of the PS4, is actually proportional to how the Switch version sold). For context, Disgaea 4 sold about 80k in its first week.

Hi from Belgium.
I am interested to order Disgaea. Can we play on an English/French version with Japanese Dub?

The Japanese version has English/Japanese voice option. I assume English version would be the same.

Nice! Got my LE preordered and will be ready for another meaty single player game.

How much did this sale on PS4?

Edit: just looked and it looks like it was 112k. Makes this an even better figure for Switch.

Kouriozan

Hi from Belgium.

Yes you can.
Played in French with Japanese dub on PS4.

There's always genres that do terrible elsewhere. For example, card combat games like Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission sell like hot cakes in Japan, but I don't think those would sell considerably in the west. I have no hard numbers tho.

CANLI

The Japanese version has English/Japanese voice option. I assume English version would be the same.

Thanks that's great news. Will buy it after I'll finish Zelda.

Will there be more additional DLC? I know that it includes the dlc's from ps4 version but after?

Oregano

Me right now:
M4AYrVg_d.jpg

But seriously those numbers are amazing!

I didn't buy this on PS4 but this is an actual instance where "this is perfect for the Switch" can actually apply. The top angled view is better suited for handhelds. I'll get it as my third Switch game.

ys45

Disgaea's main market was always West. I don't see what changed now.

Oh really, I did not know about that .

To be fair I only played the first one and got burned out of the genre after so I haven't followed the game too closely.

It seems the 5 would be a good time to get back into it .

Impressive numbers.

I've been on the fence about this series for sooo long now, maybe it's time to finally jump in.

Is 5 a good game to start with? Or will I miss important story elements from the previous games.

Sounds about right, I am not a Disgaea fan but glad to see RPG's get new life on the Switch. It was tough trying to push people into a Vita but the Switch hype is real.

With the portability factor I think the Switch has a chance to sell Third Party games much better than a lot of people are giving it credit for. Especially for some genres like JRPG's.

Will be interesting to see what NIS's strategy is moving forward with Vita slowing and Switch taking off.

Impressive numbers.

I've been on the fence about this series for sooo long now, maybe it's time to finally jump in.

Is 5 a good game to start with? Or will I miss important story elements from the previous games.

IIRC, it's said that 5 is one of the best in the series and not really connected with previous games.

Thoraxes

I hope the message they take from this is to keep making games the way they do, and don't intentionally try to cater to west; I like their games the way they make them.

France is amazing, but most here seem to forget that 78k of those 114k pre-orders are still from the Americas...

That doesn't make this less exciting news tho. France dethrowning the UK as No. 1 EU country for D5C means that most likely that this will be the first Disgaea game for a lot of people (which makes sense since Disgaea only had 1 game on a Nintendo system before).

If I had a Switch, I'd definitely support the UK version of the game even though I already have the PS4 collectors edition thing.

Top Bottom