• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) hits 110K pre-orders in the West versus 20K sold in Japan

womp

Going to be my first Disgaea game

I was considering it as well....I've known of the series but dunno if it is for me or not. I do like a SRPG occasionally but I'm really picky about them. I don't want to be overwhelmed with stats and numbers and I think that is what scares me off with this series.

We've had weeks and weeks of discussion about how Disgaea bombing on the switch means the switch won't get smaller niche Japanese games.

Why on Earth Disgaea was deemed as the primary factor I'll never know.

because it would probably bomb... It fitted the narrative.

random25

Nah this is the best time for Disgaea imo. People are finished our finishing up with Zelda and looking for a meaty single player game for switch now. Would have been drowned by Zelda at launch for most imo.

Didn't affect other launch games though, but that's a good point about a meaty single player being a conflict with Zelda.

We've had weeks and weeks of discussion about how Disgaea bombing on the switch means the switch won't get smaller niche Japanese games.

Why on Earth Disgaea was deemed as the primary factor I'll never know.

Yeah it doesn't really indicate anything. It's a Disgaea game, in Japan. With you on that one.

Zedark

Great numbers, will look into the game a bit more before deciding whether or not to purchase. Plenty of reviews and a demo available already, at least ;)

Thats kinda nuts. Switch the console that saves niche Japanese games in the west? Ill probably get it. Never played a Disgaea before

orioto

Good Art™
France has been the real japan for 30 years now i mean! Hell we're the only country that liked FF Spirit Within!

That's super good for Switch and this kind of game on it! I may buy it but there is too much to do in Disgaea..

Japanese developers need to start putting a lot more rpgs on the Switch because imho its the best best way to play those games.

EDarkness

Thats kinda nuts. Switch the console that saves niche Japanese games in the west? Ill probably get it. Never played a Disgaea before

If you like strategy RPGs with a lot of numbers, then you'll like this. The story is over the top, but with all the systems in place, there's a lot to do.

Forkball

I want this game... but I don't know if I sixty American dollars want it. I hope it does well though so NI continues to support the Switch.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

It's actually more that it fits in with the existing trends.

This is similar to the PS4 results for Disgaea 5 overseas, and Disgaea 1 did similar numbers on PC as well.

It's just that Japan isn't as interesting in their own consoles games anymore in many cases.

Of course, another platform coming in with these kinds of sales is an even bigger boon to them.

mieumieu

This one is good and Switch users waited for a proper RPG/Strategy RPG for a while.
I am Setsuna is not bad but just not as meaty...

NandoGip

It's actually more that it fits in with the existing trends.

This is similar to the PS4 results for Disgaea 5 overseas, and Disgaea 1 did similar numbers on PC as well.

It's just that Japan isn't as interesting in their own consoles games anymore in many cases.

Of course, another platform coming in with these kinds of sales is an even bigger boon to them.

Disgaea 1 on PC did well? I wonder why they haven't released the third/fourth games on PC yet.

Quonny

Deserved. It's the first Disgaea since the first two that really felt like they hit a nice balance of everything.

Good numbers. Great to hear. Kinda miffed about people saying Disgaea 5 was supposed to be the test of niche Japanese RPG games doing well on the Switch.

Disgaea is strange and odd it should not have to be the game that tests those waters.

Atlus bring us Persona ports now. I will take P4 Golden in good faith while waiting for other Atlus titles.

Servbot24

Banned
Imagine how much better the sales would have been if it was one of Western Launch Titles, they had an English Version ready two months ago.

I don't know if anyone would have paid attention to it if it came out at the same time as Zelda. Releasing a few weeks later when people are hungry for something else seems smart to me.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Good numbers. Great to hear. Kinda miffed about people saying Disgaea 5 was supposed to be the test of niche Japanese RPG games doing well on the Switch.

Disgaea is strange and odd it should not have to be the game that tests those waters.

Atlus bring us Persona ports now. I will take P4 Golden in good faith while waiting for other Atlus titles.

More like P3 lol. :)

Astral Dog

Disgaea Switch doing worse on Nintendo worst EU market and doing best on Nintendos better EU market is not a surprise.at least it means they are gaving an impaxt on that audience.

NandoGip

Disgaea 2 released like 4 months ago. Give them time.

Oh, I had no idea. I should've googled.

I'm hoping they do something with Makai Kingdom. Obviously it'll never happen but that one was my favorite due to the vehicles and house mechanics thing they had going on.

Peltz

I hope third parties are taking note. Switch owners want to buy all sorts of software for the device, not just Nintendo games.

fernoca

Well, one of those in the US is mine and the LE to boot., First Disgaea 5 I get/preorder day one. XD

Trying to diversify the games I have on Switch.

Top Bottom