• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete (Switch) hits 110K pre-orders in the West versus 20K sold in Japan

Eliseo

Japanese developers can no longer use the "the game will not sell in Nintendo consoles" argument for putting their games there.

And that's great because we will no longer miss out some great titles from Japan :)

I'm looking at you Bamco
portable dark souls plox

Rezae

Don't have a Switch right now (probably later in the summer), but if I did this would definitely be a must-buy for me. Seems perfect for a handheld and it's good overall timing with most people finishing off Zelda.

Shizuka

The US, of course, still remains the biggest market for Disgaea outside of Japan, with Yamashita saying it has "a larger JRPG fan base than any other country" besides its native homeland. He also says Disgaea is "one of the well-recognised JRPGs among such US communities."

Actually, US should be bigger than Japan for Disgaea at this point.

Eolz

Me right now:
M4AYrVg_d.jpg

But seriously those numbers are amazing!

Would deserve to be in the OP ;)

Safros

Would be interesting if D6 was announced for a simultaneous release on PS4 and Switch because of how well it's doing.

I'd buy this game again for its western release but I didn't really like it in comparison to the other Disgaea games, though I am glad the series is doing well here.

Good. I got Disgaea in the Vita and found it to be a ridiculously complicated game. Hard to play. Gave up.

Still getting it for switch. Just nice to give it another shot.

EDarkness

it sold better in the west in general, but on switch it sold about the same/slightly better on switch than ps4.

The interesting thing is that they're only talking about pre-orders, so in theory it can end up doing much much better once it's actually released.

Gaspard

it sold better in the west in general, but on switch it sold about the same/slightly better on switch than ps4.

We also gotta note that the Switch version is outselling the PS4 version overseas on pre-orders alone, while the PS4 figure was after a few months of sales.

Edit: beaten

Mr Swine

Banned
That's really good, and at $60 too? They must be pretty happy that sales are almost on par with the PS4 version. Hopefully this will outsell it by a small amount

Pengu

Neo Member
I preordered the collector's edition on switch, but had the game on ps4 day one and didn't get that far. Looking forward to having a portable version so I can actually put the time into playing it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The continued increase in digital sales means there is almost no excuse not to localise even relatively niche games. If your projected volume is low you can go digital only

EDarkness

The continued increase in digital sales means there is almost no excuse not to localise even relatively niche games. If your projected volume is low you can go digital only

I makes me curious how FATE/EXTELLA is gonna do on the NS. I have it pre-ordered right now, but I wonder if more of that audience is going to jump on board the NS in the West to give that game a bit of a push.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
It doesn't shock me anymore considering that in the USA and the EU, the Disgaea, Neptunia, Senran Kagura, and Atelier games eclipse the JPN sales.

As far as I know, Dragon Quest, Tales, and the Kiseki franchise are still Japan-heavy.

Nairume

Banned
I think D5 debuted on PS4 in Japan with 20,000 - 27,000 copies sold.
Media create and Famitsu both had it at just short of 23k in its first week, with there being about 1.35 million PS4s sold in Japan at that time.

As added context, it was the week that Bloodborne and One Piece Musou 3 released, but it's still a massive drop from Disgaea 4's first week of about 80k.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I makes me curious how FATE/EXTELLA is gonna do on the NS. I have it pre-ordered right now, but I wonder if more of that audience is going to jump on board the NS in the West to give that game a bit of a push.

It seems to be by far the best version considering it has all the rip off microtransactions and an extra/different costume. Think maybe the quality of the game may have an effect since it doesn't seem to have the strongest word of mouth unless your a big Fate fan.

Eliseo

It seems to be by far the best version considering it has all the rip off microtransactions and an extra/different costume. Think maybe the quality of the game may have an effect since it doesn't seem to have the strongest word of mouth unless your a big Fate fan.

But it will sell well, Switch owners are starving for games!!

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
But it will sell well, Switch owners are starving for games!!

I wouldn't even say that, I would say that the sales of all the games so far shows that the people who are buying the switch are buying lots of non-Nintendo games and it also shows that third party can and will be successful if they just show up.

JUST SHOW UP DAMMIT AND THEY WILL BUY YOUR GAMES.

dont joke like that, that has happened before, multiple times D:

Tales of series being a prime example

So true, from GameCube to 3DS Namco went full stupid with tales.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I wouldn't even say that, I would say that the sales of all the games so far shows that the people who are buying the switch are buying lots of non-Nintendo games and it also shows that third party can and will be successful if they just show up.

JUST SHOW UP DAMMIT AND THEY WILL BUY YOUR GAMES.
But also don't have crappy ports in relation to other released versions

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
dont joke like that, that has happened before, multiple times D:

Tales of series being a prime example

Despite the ease of porting between the two and the overall processing power need, I still expect a 70% chance this is going to happen.

Minsc

Gold Member
I hope other publishers are paying attention.

I wouldn't mind seeing more strategy or turn based RPGs on the Switch. I do enjoy playing them docked at home, but being able to pause and take it with out works great for these games. Maybe we'll see an XCOM port or FFT or just more RPGs in general (SE could do little wrong in bringing their entire catalog over). Whatever the case, this definitely is a pretty surprising number of pre-orders for a port I didn't think would even hit 100k lifetime sales on.

Top Bottom