• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 – Corvo Attano Spotlight

GavinUK86

https://bethesda.net/en/article/23QQBBamf2Q4uIIEeEQqIy/dishonored-2-corvo-attano-spotlight

The Rat Plague is a distant memory. Empress Emily Kaldwin rules over the Empire of the Isles. And, 15 years after the events in the first game, Corvo Attano is still protecting his daughter from all kinds of threats. Now, in Dishonored 2, the Royal Protector and Spymaster will face what might be his toughest challenge yet. When an otherworldly usurper steals the throne, you must take on the role of Corvo Attano once more, and take back what’s yours.

Those who played Dishonored will likely feel right at home if they choose Corvo for their first playthrough in Dishonored 2. And yet Corvo has evolved quite a bit from the first game. He’s older, more experienced, wiser. “Corvo is like a man reflecting on the winter of his life,” says Creative Director Harvey Smith. “He’s both the badass supernatural assassin we wanted him to be, and he’s very thoughtful.”

But Corvo’s mindset isn’t the only thing that’s different. “Corvo comes back with all his classic powers, made more active and more beautiful through our new engine technology, and each is also improved from a game design perspective,” says Lead Designer Dinga Bakaba.

And here's the Emily Kaldwin spotlight if you missed it.

"Right now if you ask me to choose between the two, I'd be hard pressed because I love them both. It's like choosing between your children" - Dinga Bakaba, Lead Designer

SpaceWolf

Banned
"Right now if you ask me to choose between the two, I'd be hard pressed because I love them both. It's like choosing between your children" - Dinga Bakaba, Lead Designer

I'll be playing Corvo first, personally. As awesome as Emily looks, I like the idea of preserving some sense of personal continuity from the first game by continuing on as the same character.

MartyStu

I'll be playing Corvo first, personally. As awesome as Emily looks, I like the idea of preserving some sense of personal continuity from the first game by continuing on as the same character.

The fact that Corvo actually has a personality now kills that sense. To me at least.

Yeah seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if he felt that way but that part felt like an actor in an infomercial

It's really a shame because Emily seems like a more appealing character to play as but Corvo's powers look so much more fun. The possession stuff looks awesome, I just want to make dudes walk off of high places

bunkitz

I hope there are still a lot of upgrades they haven't revealed yet, just for the surprise and discovery factor. Either ways, I'm still definitely playing as Emily first. That was never a question, even before I learned about her powers, haha. It just seems much more exciting and interesting.

Hmm, I only just thought about it, but yeah, I'm looking forward to actually witnessing Corvo have a personality and express his thoughts, etc. I'm really glad they decided to give him a voice this time around.

Anno

Definitely playing Emily first since this story seems to be made for her to be the canonical protagonist. Super hyped to play some more Corvo afterwards though.

Emily looks way too violent for my liking. Will play her late, but prefer how much more stealthy Corvo looks.

Aren't all skills nonlethal now if you want them to be? Everything I can remember of Emily is.

Aren't all skills nonlethal now if you want them to be? Everything I can remember of Emily is.

Yes, a lot of Emily's powers can be used for non-lethal. Grapple an enemy with Far Reach and then choke him out. Non-lethal eliminations with Domino and Shadow Walk. Mesmerize can be used to put 4 enemies into a temporary stupor, allowing you to slip by.

Hell, her Doppleganger ability can be used as a distraction tool if you're not upgrading it to fight by your side.

Mifec

Yes, a lot of Emily's powers can be used for non-lethal. Grapple an enemy with Far Reach and then choke him out. Non-lethal eliminations with Domino and Shadow Walk. Mesmerize can be used to put 4 enemies into a temporary stupor, allowing you to slip by.

Hell, her Doppleganger ability can be used as a distraction tool if you're not upgrading it to fight by your side.

Mesmerize can also make them forget the stuff prior to getting mesemerized.

Skilletor

What do you mean? As in her abilities?

Definitely playing Emily first since this story seems to be made for her to be the canonical protagonist. Super hyped to play some more Corvo afterwards though.

I dunno! Just going off of what I've seen, and it was all death and destruction, lol.

Haven't paid much attention to the game, though, since I hadn't finished Dishonored 1 until a couple weeks ago.

Anno

I dunno! Just going off of what I've seen, and it was all death and destruction, lol.

Haven't paid much attention to the game, though, since I hadn't finished Dishonored 1 until a couple weeks ago.

I think it's just that violence demos better. AFAIK all of her abilities (that have been shown - have they all been shown?) have a nonlethal use. Corvo might be the same way? Not sure what the rats would be though. Just a mass of rats swarm over a foe and gently nuzzle them to sleep.

Mifec

That's just their marketing, you can use all her stuff non lethal and she even has a whole formchange that makes her more stealthy.

Skilletor

I think it's just that violence demos better. AFAIK all of her abilities (that have been shown - have they all been shown?) have a nonlethal use. Corvo might be the same way? Not sure what the rats would be though. Just a mass of rats swarm over a foe and gently nuzzle them to sleep.

That's just their marketing, you can use all her stuff non lethal and she even has a whole formchange that makes her more stealthy.

Consider me better informed. Maybe I'll try her out first. :)

MartyStu

I have the funniest feeling that both of their stories will be canonical.

From the way marketing and the story focuses on Emily, It wouldn't be surprising if she's the canonical protagonist

After all, the overall story and assassination targets stays the same regardless of who you play

o_o

Which part of corpses?

A full corpse. From what I remember, though, you can possess decapitated heads as well.

From the way marketing and the story focuses on Emily, It wouldn't be surprising if she's the canonical protagonist

After all, the overall story and assassination targets stays the same regardless of who you play

A full corpse. From what I remember, though, you can possess decapitated heads as well.

Neat. So this is in the original? Never knew.

I wonder if they ever considered making an online portion to the game where they could add new targets to kill in levels. Hitman style. Add assassination challenges and leaderboards. And their own sort of Contracts mode where players could choose the target to kill in a level then share it with their friends. Holy crap that would be amazing.

Anno

I dunno. If their selling phrase for the game is Take Back What's Yours then Emily just seems more suited to it since she would be taking back her throne. Worst case I guess i just want to make sure she's the one doing it rather than Corvo saving her again.

Hale-XF11

So yeah, I'm totally gonna be throwing people's heads into rooms ahead of me, then possessing the heads and sneaking around that way. I wonder if you can possess the heads while they're still rolling around on the ground. Might be a new sneaky way to traverse various hills and inclines.

Vic_Viper

What is the differences between the 2 campaigns other than the play style? Are they going through the exact same levels without any exclusive areas? I assume they're is at least some changes in dialogue right? Wish they would release some sort of video or trailer that shows off the differences so I can make a decision on who to play first, otherwise I'm going Emily.

What is the differences between the 2 campaigns other than the play style? Are they going through the exact same levels without any exclusive areas? I assume they're is at least some changes in dialogue right? Wish they would release some sort of video or trailer that shows off the differences so I can make a decision on who to play first, otherwise I'm going Emily.

They have the same missions and same targets to eliminate

Their dialogues are different from each other and depending on their chaos level, their personality and dialogue changes as well

black070

Ah frick.. I forgot there's a choice between playing as Corvo or Emily (I've been on a media blackout) - decisions decisions..

I'll probably play as Corvo.

Top Bottom