• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dishonored 2 releasing on November 11, is Game Informer's June cover

Lol how is Corvo cool? He's not even a character, he's a floating camera with arms.

Because he looks like this:
dishonored.jpg

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
The first was a solid 7/10 for me. Terrific stealth gameplay, underwhelming everything else. I'd like to see the sequel deliver a more interesting, less rote plot this time around, with some more varied environments to boot.

Really? I thought it gave us the most interesting original world we'd had in a long time for a game of its nature.

Salz01

I loved the dark oppressive atmosphere of the first. I hope they don't change it. Seeing the art of the green islands isn't helping.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think Corvo is just really boring(especially compared to Daud from the DLC), but he's there if people really want him. Emily sounds like she's the really "cool", agile character from the early previews and interviews that they really built the game around.

"You can play Corvo again...but I think the draw for a lot of people is gonna be Emily Kaldwin" - Harvey Smith

Well that's why he should not be in it. Just seems like added bloat just so they could say they had two characters in there instead of the one the game actually considers.

I don't see what we lose by having both? I don't remember Corvo being very old in the first game anyway.

We lose concentration on the star of the show, i just don't see the point of adding him

Zolo

I see these games foremost as a 'gameplay first' experience, so having two characters to play with helps add more replayability, and more tools to use with different characters.

DigSCCP

Do I have to play the DLCs of the first one?
I have the PS4 edition, played only the campaign but never gave a chance to the DLCs.
Are they good?

Jb

We lose concentration on the star of the show, i just don't see the point of adding him

Perhaps, but I imagine she'll still be the main focus of the game and Corvo might be more of a side narrative or a what if scenario.

Holy shit at Sam Rockwell being in this. I have my doubt about what his performance will actually bring considering how misused a lot of the voice talent in the first game was, but it's still awesome to see him do video game work.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I have the PS4 edition, played only the campaign but never gave a chance to the DLCs.
Are they good?
They're very good. The Knife of Dunwall and The Brigmore Witches are fantastic, perfect examples of how expansion DLC can be amazing.

Are they good?

Pretty good, Knife and Witches are 6 or so extra chapters where you play as Daud from the main game, complete with Ninja summoning skill. It's a mixture of new maps and some recycled ones, but they play very differently. There's challenge maps in Trials too but I wasn't into those.

Kalentan

I make take back what I said about Corvo being lame if he's voiced by Garret

That's fucking hilarious. The actual "sequel" to the Thief games, no longer had Stephen Russell... but now the spiritual successor to Thief, has Stephen Russell as a main character. That's awesome. Now I want to play Corvo even more.

I need to go replay Thief: Deadly Shadows. Since I love that game despite not everyone looking at it too fondly.

Also based on the first post... Is this the first time they're officially come out and said that Emily is Corvo's daughter? It was as subtle as a jackhammer in the first game, but it was never outright stated with 100% conformation.

He is voiced by Garret. That is all the reason you need to add him.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I was thinking this was a joke at first, but I guess not. It's kind of shocking how little information we have on this game. Barely any footage too(as far as I know). I mean, I'm sure that'll change during E3 but still, it's nice to know so little about something. Might pick this up under a media black out.

GavinUK86

Well that's why he should not be in it. Just seems like added bloat just so they could say they had two characters in there instead of the one the game actually considers.

I completely disagree. I see Corvo as the main attraction personally. It's a sequel for him. The game is set in his hometown too so it makes even more sense. Emily and Corvo have completely different move sets so in no way is he "bloat".

Nice! I really enjoyed Dishonored and how sandboxy the gameplay was. Tons of unique ways to approach situations and me and all of my friends played the game very differently.

Voyevoda

They are. Dishonored and Bioshock 2 have the unique distinctions of DLC superior to main content.

I've never played W3's DLC so I can't judge on that front.

Well, Hearts of Stone is not better than the main game. But some things in it are.

The antagonist is better than the main game's (HoS' antagonist might be one of the best in all of gaming, imho - very bland design, but perfect writing, he's absolutely terrifying, and there's much more to him that meets the eye).

The writing is more condensed and better, overall.

And that
wedding quest
is GOAT.

Even though I'm not a fan of gravelly voiced monologuing characters, Daud was a much better character than Corvo simply because he had personality.
Corvo being voiced is definitely an improvement.

Mr. Tibbs

Pretty bold release date, but I got the sense they're trying to go very big with this game, so it fits that objective.

It's going to be a very tight PR push. The closer you get to XMas, the more titles can get lost in a flood of titles or sales. They haven't even released a single in-engine screenshot yet. No one knows what Dishonored on id tech looks like yet.

CHC

Stephen Russell is voicing Corvo?

Holy shiiiiiiieeeet.... Spritual successor to Thief in more ways than one here. The whole voice cast looks great, actually.

MOTHERFUCKING GARRET is voicing Corvo HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

Oh Sam Rockwell is cool too I guess

Holy crap can you imagine if they brought back Benny the Guard in this game? Oh my god I would be one of literally dozens of people who would be ecstatic about that. Dozens!

Hale-XF11

Can't wait!!

My only hope is that the main characters don't feel too overpowered. I don't want this to be a cakewalk right from the start. I guess I'm concerned because of all this talk about new and improved powers, but for now I'm putting my faith and trust in the devs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It's going to be a very tight PR push. The closer you get to XMas, the more titles can get lost in a flood of titles or sales. They haven't even released a single in-engine screenshot yet. No one knows what Dishonored on id tech looks like yet.

That's not very unusual at this point honestly. A lot of companies are debuting games at E3 for release this Fall.

Getting a multiplayer vibe from these screen shots.

While I certainly wouldn't mind, unless something has changed since last E3, it's singleplayer only.

I guess Battlecry got canned so that studio is presumably doing something beyond being the third studio working on Doom's MP.

Iscariot

They have different powers and one would assume slightly altered narrative/dialogue. Considering sandbox gameplay is sort a core pillar it adds a ton to the game.

I remember not being very impressed when the first Dishonored was on their cover. Something about the style of it really put me off. Nearly a year after it released, I got it for my birthday after seeing it cheap and figuring why not give it a shot. I ended up loving it. getting the Achievement for not killing a single person was so, so satisfying. Really excited for this after how surprisingly awesome the first one was.

That's a pretty damn good cast.

Loved Dishonored, I had multiple playthroughs. The level design and art direction with really great voice acting and moody/atmospheric music really sold city as being sick. It was fantastic. Steam has me at 76 hours played. I imagine I'll do at least one more playthrough before the sequel is out. It's easily one of my favorite games of last gen.

I love that we'll be exploring a completely aesthetically different city this go-round. I adored the setting of the first game as much as anybody but it'd be a huge shame after all the other locations in the empire were hinted at to not actually explore any of them.

Personally speaking yeah, as much as I like the introduction of Emily as a new character, It is Corvo who is the star of the series for me, despite Emily being the actual focus of Dishonored 2. It is just that Dishonored left a few marks on me, and Corvo was a big one of them, I was so happy to hear he is back.
I like the option for two stories. Reminds me of what Tenchu did.
Exactly this, Tenchu 2 offered a very compelling 2 characters scenario, heck even Resident Evil was pretty neat as well, my main concern with Dishonored 2 is how both won't have separate campaigns, I was hoping for 2 different stories that makes a big whole story, or for both of them to playable through out the campaign where each mission shifts from one to another or something.

Top Bottom