• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney to buy full control of Hulu

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Not sure how I feel about this. Hulu is one of the few sub services I still use. I guess they can’t make the ads any worse.

Hulu is not really a thing here, so a lot of the shows were already on Disney+ instead and I just figured they always owned Hulu already.
Perhaps it was partial ownership and now full ownership?

Doom85

Good

Now merge Hulu and Disney Plus together which is one of the things they should have done from the beginning

This would be ideal. I have Disney+ but not Hulu, but when it comes to Disney’s anime licenses (Summertime Rendering and Heavenly Delusion, which I hear both slap) they put them on Disney+ for the whole world EXCEPT the U.S. where they put it on Hulu. *Sigh* That new Goosebumps show had the decency to come out on both, I need to give it a watch as Goosebumps (and Animorphs) books were my obsession in my pre-teens.

This would be ideal. I have Disney+ but not Hulu, but when it comes to Disney’s anime licenses (Summertime Rendering and Heavenly Delusion, which I hear both slap) they put them on Disney+ for the whole world EXCEPT the U.S. where they put it on Hulu. *Sigh* That new Goosebumps show had the decency to come out on both, I need to give it a watch as Goosebumps (and Animorphs) books were my obsession in my pre-teens.

The Goosebumps show is actually pretty good. I'm surprised

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I had Disney+ since it launched for $80 a year. This past week they sent me an email saying they were increasing the price to $140. Is this why? Either way I am cancelling.

HoodWinked

Ya Disney got trapped by the deal. There is no real benefit of acquiring it. Merging Hulu and Disney+ isn't going to increase revenues since they will cannibalize their base.

Since the pegged evaluated value was $26 billion and they already own 66% because of Fox. The remaining 33% was owned by Comcast which they got from acquiring NBC universal makes it ~$8 billion.

Comcast has Peacock so unloading HULU at the inflated evaluation is simply a win for them.

Not really news if you have been following the trainwreck that is Disney.

This is part of the Fox acquisition deal where they have to buy out Comcast's share of Hulu at market rate (with minimum value of around 9B). This is why there are rumors of Disney trying to selling the company to Apple because they are in need of cash. It doesn't help their movies, streaming, and parks are bleeding money. Iger essentially cornered himself with this "genius" deal, now having to pay billions to their competitor.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Hulu has areas to improve and now you can be in the middle of nowhere and stream a full movie which was rare not even 15 years ago.

Doom85

While potentially good for wallets, this merge would kill the greatness of Hulu.

Hulu doesn’t seem worth it by itself considering a lot of their shows and movies can be purchased on Amazon Video eventually. Since it would be a select amount of shows and movies I’d be interested in, it would be cheaper to just wait and buy them on Amazon.

Hulu doesn’t seem worth it by itself considering a lot of their shows and movies can be purchased on Amazon Video eventually. Since it would be a select amount of shows and movies I’d be interested in, it would be cheaper to just wait and buy them on Amazon.

Why should I pay extra when I can watch them under a subscription fee? 🤔

LordCBH

Disney: our movies are losing us billions and people are leaving Disney+ because our content sucks ass
Also disney: lol let’s drop 7 billy on fucking Hulu

My worry with a merge is merely the fact that both buildings will also merge, meaning the Disney side could potentially slowly sanitize the Hulu side’s content for PG-13 audiences and we’d also get an app that’s worse than Hulu’s app(which is better than Disney+). Otherwise I’d be all for the merge.

I was one of the people who thought the merge between Crunchyroll and Funimation was a great idea, but then once they merged under Crunchyroll, suddenly certain anime catalogues disappeared and now anime dubs are nearly a month to almost 3 month-long wait, including the fact that they don’t have subtitles for most dubs and the menu system for dubbed episodes feels amateurish. Their app still crashes after the new version was released months ago. It’s been a long time since the merge and barely anything has changed.

Funimation was faster and better in all regards. They had a better subtitle encoding system and their dubs appeared a week later, on time, all the time. It feels like the one who ran themselves like a respectable business(Funimation) was absorbed by the more popular one who’s running a sloppier business. They’re so, so fortunate that anime fans are so snobbish about subs over dubs that the group who actually cares about the dubbing system is a very small minority of people that can be easily looked over.

Last edited:

nush

Disney: our movies are losing us billions and people are leaving Disney+ because our content sucks ass
Also disney: lol let’s drop 7 billy on fucking Hulu
Change the Hulu subs to D+ ones and impress investors with the growth!

Doom85

My worry with a merge is merely the fact that both buildings will also merge, meaning the Disney side could potentially slowly sanitize the Hulu side’s content for PG-13 audiences and we’d also get an app that’s worse than Hulu’s app(which is better than Disney+). Otherwise I’d be all for the merge.

I was one of the people who thought the merge between Crunchyroll and Funimation was a great idea, but then once they merged under Crunchyroll, suddenly certain anime catalogues disappeared and now anime dubs are nearly a month to almost 3 month-long wait, including the fact that they don’t have subtitles for most dubs and the menu system for dubbed episodes feels amateurish. Their app still crashes after the new version was released months ago. It’s been a long time since the merge and barely anything has changed.

Funimation was faster and better in all regards. They had a better subtitle encoding system and their dubs appeared a week later, on time, all the time. It feels like the one who ran themselves like a respectable business(Funimation) was absorbed by the more popular one who’s running a sloppier business. They’re so, so fortunate that anime fans are so snobbish about subs over dubs that the group who actually cares about the dubbing system is a very small minority of people that can be easily looked over.

I do miss FUNimation as I got into anime in 2005 so they were a huge element to me especially as within the next 5 or so years most of their competitors (ADV, Bandai Entertainment, Geneon) went out of business. But I feel Crunchyroll by this point had become more iconic especially to newer fans so it didn’t surprise me they chose that brand name over FUNimation.

Where do you use the Crunchyroll app? I use it on my PS5 and rarely does it crash for me. Granted, I’m usually not watching an episode as soon as it airs, as I don’t know if heavy traffic might affect the app if an episode of a very popular show just dropped.

If I’m watching a show as it airs, I usually auto go to sub, whereas dub is something I consider if I go to a show sometime after it aired. Don’t know why my mentality became that way, but it is what it is. So I didn‘t notice that simul-dubbing was taking longer. Though given they’ve now gotten a way larger selection of shows per new season now with their primary competitor merged with them (plus, more and more anime are being made every year, this fall season had 60+ new titles!), it makes sense. It’s why I try to be patient with the Blu-Rays taking longer to come out (Re:Zero Season 2 BR only released just recently), as long as they release eventually, I can wait.

I wonder who will buy Spotify? Also, if that should happen... what happens to Rogan?
Legit questions, seeing as how Acquisitions keep rolling along.

Last edited:

kunonabi

If Hulu gets merged with Disney+ I'll cancel my sub. I guess I better finish watching rewatching the x-files while I can.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Not sure how I feel about this. Hulu is one of the few sub services I still use. I guess they can’t make the ads any worse.

This doesn't actually change much of anything for consumers. It's just a huge hit to the finances for Disney. They were obligated to finish the payout. Many have speculated for months that they could barely afford it, or maybe literally can't afford it.

Top Bottom