• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Doing an INTO THE WOODS Film; Rob Marshall Directs, Meryl Streep Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenovox1

For those that aren't familiar with the property, Into the Woods is a 1987 Stephen Sondheim musical that won a bunch a Tony Awards. It's kind of the granddaddy of all those adult fairy tales.

As BroadwayWorld.com reported back in October exclusively, Meryl Streep will play the witch in the INTO THE WOODS film.

In a new interview with the Litchfield County Times with arranger David Krane confirms, telling the paper that:

"I am coming into an exciting time," said Mr. Krane in a telephone interview from New York City. "My show, "The Road to Qatar,' is being presented in London next month and then I am doing a revival of an old show, 'Good News' at the Goodspeed Opera House. And then the biggest news-they are doing a movie of the musical 'Into the Woods.' Disney is going to make the movie and I will do the arrangements. Meryl Streep will be the witch and it will be the first time I have worked with her since 1977 when we did 'Happy End.'"

Mr. Krane remembers happily his association with the young Ms. Streep and looks forward to the new collaboration. Similarly, he is enthusiastic about working again with director and choreographer Rob Marshall, with whom he worked on the Oscar-winning film, "Chicago" and "Nine."

It was announced back in June that Rob Marshall has made Stephen Sondheim's INTO THE WOODS his next project at Warner Bros/Disney - and a starry reading kicked the project off.

James Lapine, the musical's book writer, is adapting thr script. Sondheim is writing new songs for the show
so he can win another Oscar

Here's the cast of the reading that took place in October. It's mostly NY theatre actors who'll get replaced by more Hollywood stars, so don't get too attached.

BroadwayWorld confirmed that the cast of a screenplay reading, which took place in October, included (in alphabetical order): Nina Arianda as The Baker's Wife; Christine Baranski as the Stepmother; Tammy Blanchard as Florinda; Victoria Clark as Cinderella's Mother/Giant; James Corden as the Baker; David Garrison as the Narrator; Ivan Hernandez as the Wolf; Megan Hilty as Lucinda; Cheyenne Jackson as Rapunzel's Prince; Allison Janney as Jack's Mother; Anna Kendrick as Cinderella; Michael McGrath as the Steward/Baker's Father; Donna Murphy as the Witch; Laura Osnes as Rapunzel; Taylor Trensch as Jack; Casey Whyland as Little Red Riding Hood; and Patrick Wilson as Cinderella's Prince.

Source: BroadwayWorld.com

A taped version of the original stage show with Bernadette Peters as the Witch is available to stream on Netflix.

Pau

YES now I might be finally able to see my favorite show on stage if there's a revival!

Although I wonder if Disney will keep it was dark as the original play or make changes.

Oersted

Hyped.

YES now I might be finally able to see my favorite show on stage if there's a revival!

Although I wonder if Disney will keep it was dark as the original play or make changes.

Did they ever keep the darkness?

Pau

Awesome.

You have to keep the insanely dark second half!
I know there's a version for elementary school kids that ends at the first half. Kind of... missing the point really.

I also wonder if with Disney's recent love for title changes this will be retitled "Fairytales" or some other such nonsense.

lenovox1

Emily Blunt and Billy Magnussen
YWQdXIj.jpg

Chris Pine
R7jODg9.jpg

These pants are everything. I want to own a pair.
ZTITybg.jpg

James Corden
wjpnWaX.jpg

Anna Kendrick
xnvH3cS.jpg

Christine Baranski
GJMzrp0.jpg

Tracey Ullman
0OWTZZB.jpg

(Queerty and Just Jared)

Status
Not open for further replies.