• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney's Into The Woods: Be Careful What You Wish For

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a guy that never saw the original, the movie was missing sometching. I couldn't tell if it wanted to be a farce a fable or a drama. The narrator did not make any subtle jokes, the best parts of the movie were the wolf scenes, the chris pine and Emily blunt scenes. Chris Pine was playing Zap Brannigan playing William Shattner.

I need to watch the stag play, I have a feeling it's a more coherent story

Bentendo

Really enjoyed the movie. Saw it twice over the weekend.

The kid nailed "Giants in the Sky". I also got the feels during "No One is Alone". "Agony" was absolutely hilarious. All three of those songs actually got applause from the audience. I've heard this is a distinctly American thing to do... (my brother calls it the Americlap whenever this happens during or after a movie).

Is it terrible I was turned off the second I saw Johnny Depp?

Go do something else man.

I'm sad to say I felt the same. It makes me feel petty that the first thing I thought of was "Johnny Derp". He is like U2. He is not bad, I am just tired of him doing his thing. It's unfair. He is a fantastic actor.
It's just that Pirates and Tim Burton just.. mangled him.

Bentendo

I'm sad to say I felt the same. It makes me feel petty that the first thing I thought of was "Johnny Derp". He is like U2. He is not bad, I am just tired of him doing his thing. It's unfair. He is a fantastic actor.
It's just that Pirates and Tim Burton just.. mangled him.

I believe he probably wanted to be in this due to his connection to Soundheim. This is pure speculation though.

If his inclusion in this makes you feel weary, please know he is in it very briefly. His performance is only somewhat bad ;)

I believe he probably wanted to be in this due to his connection to Soundheim. This is pure speculation though.

If his inclusion in this makes you feel weary, please know he is in it very briefly. His performance is only somewhat bad ;)

No, I feel bad because I love him, and I feel like a shithead for being tired of him.

Me, really? being tired of him!? I'm sitting here in my doritos stained underwear scratching my ass with a 360 controller. I don't got permission to speak. I need to pipe it down a few and stop the entitlement bullshit. It's not Depps fault. It's all my own shit spiraling off the chainwax.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Fucking sucked. That's all I can say, just really fucking bad.

Awful songs, bad casting, horrible editing, and fucking Johnny Depp. If I had known Rob Marshall was behind this turd, I would have reconsidered seeing it.

At least Meryl Streep delivered and "Agony" was a good song. Otherwise, worst movie I've seen this year.

Meryl Streep? Yeah, it's not for me. To paraphrase Community...

To me, religion is like Meryl Streep. I see the appeal, and I would never take it away from anyone. But I would also never stand in line for it.

And her/Johnny Depp interacting... urgh...

RetroMG

What faustian bargain did James Corden make to be allowed into a Hollywood flick?

I actually liked him in it. I thought he was an odd choice when I saw the trailer, but he pulled it off.

Saw it last night and I really enjoyed it, though I was sad when Agony Reprise and No More were cut.

Vinci

Danish
Fucking sucked. That's all I can say, just really fucking bad.

Awful songs, bad casting, horrible editing, and fucking Johnny Depp. If I had known Rob Marshall was behind this turd, I would have reconsidered seeing it.

At least Meryl Streep delivered and "Agony" was a good song. Otherwise, worst movie I've seen this year.

"Awful songs" does not compute. I can't speak to the other criticisms, but that one at least I know to be batshit crazy.

DeathyBoy

Banned
How dare you.

patrick-stewart-response-to-being-called-gay.gif

Picard was right.

"Awful songs" does not compute. I can't speak to the other criticisms, but that one at least I know to be batshit crazy.

The songs are OK, not great. Nothing memorable enough that stands out where people are humming coming out of the theater. "Agony" was funny, but that's about it.

Saw this last night. The show is my second favorite musical (the first going to Sweeney), so I was wary of a film adaptation.

All in all, it wasn't the worst.

The adaptation of the first act was pretty excellent, I thought. A few cuts but the important stuff came through.

The second act was severely truncated and wasn't given any time to breath, which is unfortunate because with all the things that happen, the characters need to be given that time to react to what happens.

A few more specific thoughts, with a few spoilers ahead.
Meryl Streep nailed it.
Agony was the best number in the movie
I think I'm the only one of my friends who liked Depp's performance. It was... different. But it didn't bother me.
Not killing off Rapunzel was a detriment to the quality of the movie. That event needs to happen for the Witch's breakdown to make any real sense.
Because the Mysterious Man doesn't appear in the movie, the Baker meeting his father in the woods comes out of nowhere
All the leads, except Streep, began to suck in the second act, especally the Baker, whose grief I didn't buy at all. It probably was due to the truncated nature of the second act, but it's too bad because that's when the good acting really needs to happen.

Ohwiseone

I just don't understand the complaint about "Awful Songs"

"On the Steps of the Palace" "Giants in the sky" "Agony" "No One is Alone" and that Amazing 15 minute prologue. (which I thought was going to be cut down)

I don't mind if you hate the moive..but saying that it has awful songs is a bit much in my opinion

injurai

Banned
I feel like this is the type of movie Kendrick was born for. Would love to see her in a film adaption of Wicked.

slit

Saw the movie today. I really liked it.

The darker tone along with basically shoving the middle finger to the happily ever after theme was pretty great. I didn't think the songs were particularly outstanding but okay for what they were.

zeemumu

I really liked it, but I didn't know that it was based on a play when I went in. I'll admit that the story gets a little disjointed after
the "earthquake"
though.

The
dead cow conversation
Did make me laugh with the way that she treats it like no big deal.

Meowster

Emily Blunt was a highlight in this movie. I completely bought her nuanced and natural performance and she had a delightful voice. Meryl was a show-stopper and I am glad she got to own her moments without going too over-the-top (like August: Osage County).

The princes and Jack/the kid from Les Mes were very good too. Was sad that they cut "No More," as it was my second favorite song from the original, and my favorite verses from No One is Alone.

malfcn

Wife and I saw it. Somehow we didn't know it was a musical.
And the song with Depp was awful..came off like a pedo.

Quick

Banned
I got to see the movie recently, and it was amusing for the most part. I had no idea it was a musical until I looked it up soon after.

My main issue with the movie was how it seemed to drag on. The second half of the movie felt like another thing tacked on. Again, I had no knowledge this was a musical, so I don't know if the movie's structure follows closely to the material.

It was weird how the Baker tells Jack his mother died, like a side note. Same thing when Jack told the Baker he found his wife at the bottom of a cliff.

Issue aside, it was definitely entertaining. I laughed pretty hard at a lot of the jokes they threw in. The story was straightforward and pretty clear, despite all the elements introduced throughout.

Random notes:

• Chris Pine singing...WOW. Is that seriously him?
  • Johnny Depp as the Wolf was inoffensive. He had a minor role overall, and his ridiculousness matches up with the tone of the movie.
  • I'm not too familiar with James Corden's work outside of his two Doctor Who episodes, but I know he gets some hate around here. I thought he did well in the movie.
  • Emily Blunt was just great. I like Emily Blunt in general, though.
  • Agony is such a catchy song. Seriously, Chris Pine?!
  • The woods looked like it was made for a play. I heard someone in the theatre say it looked cheap as hell, but I thought it matches up with the tone of the movie perfectly. Even more now that I know it was a musical.

Xion385

I thought was good. A few things bugged and it was all Rapunzel. I want a legitimate reason why we needed Rapunzel is this movie.

First, off her hair was null and void. I didn't realize that they were being literal with hair as yellow as corn. Second, it bugged me that she didn't have a reunion with her brother. These two reasons just bugged me the most. If the latter happened, then the hair thing wouldn't have bothered me, but neither happened. There's no reason why she needed to be in the movie.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
As someone who grew up watching the Broadway production with fuck Bernadette Peters as the witch I enjoyed the movie (as did my 4 year old little girl) and i understood why they shaved/cut songs and interactions where they did to fit it into a movie. My only gripes...

1. Johnny Fucking Depp cannot fucking sing. Do yourselves a favor if you've never seen the original broadway production and this was your intro to the musical - Watch this shit. - it makes the wolf in the movie look absolutely abysmal in every respect.

2. Not having the storyteller come into the play and kind of break the 4th wall was a missed opportunity for a movie imo

3. Meryl Streep. Seriously... I understand it's hard to work against nostalgia but her interpretation of almost EVERY song except her very last one was completely meh. Again.. contrast her opening song with this. Just doesn't hold a fucking candle..

Otherwise not bad at all. And Chris Pine actually did a pretty damn fine job. I will say i think they missed the tone of the humor a lil ... but it got some laughs outta me still for sure.

Shiv47

I thought was good. A few things bugged and it was all Rapunzel. I want a legitimate reason why we needed Rapunzel is this movie.

First, off her hair was null and void. I didn't realize that they were being literal with hair as yellow as corn. Second, it bugged me that she didn't have a reunion with her brother. These two reasons just bugged me the most. If the latter happened, then the hair thing wouldn't have bothered me, but neither happened. There's no reason why she needed to be in the movie.

Well, since you asked for an explanation: They used Rapunzel because she is the fairy tale character that was suited to the dramatic purpose they needed in the story of the Witch. What I mean by that is the Witch desperately wants to protect her child from the world (the song "Stay With Me" illustrates this in the show/film). Since Rapunzel is, in fairy tale lore, trapped in a tower she can't escape from, that makes her a perfect fit, both in story and metaphor, for the Witch's desire to protect her - putting her somewhere she can't otherwise escape.

In the stage production, Rapunzel
is killed by the Giant's wife in the second act
, and also, both princes get bored with having what they presumed were their dream women and sing a reprise of "Agony," after they've found new women: Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. This was all cut from the film, obviously.

The story of Rapunzel and the Witch is part of the overriding theme of the show, which is the coupling of personal and parental responsibility/failure and the fact that terrible things happen to people who don't deserve it (the woods are stated as a metaphor for this) and how we move on from all of that and try to fix it. Rapunzel running off with her prince, as seen in the film, really undercuts that part of the Witch's story, instead of the stage version's events.

Rapunzel is the Baker's brother simply as a plot contrivance to tie the stories of the Witch and the Baker together. It doesn't need to go any further than that and would overcomplicate an already packed show if it did.

And for those wondering why the Wolf in the stage production has a dick, the story of Little Red Riding Hood can be viewed as a metaphor for sexual awakening/maturity, hence the dick/pedo elements, and Depp doing the Wolf like a pimp.

Having seen the movie, and being a big fan of the original show, I think they made a big mistake in cutting both the second act opener and "No More," which was the Baker's big second act song. If you're already going to the use the Baker's father as a ghost/vision/whatever, then why not do the song? It's so thematically important to the show, it was a shame to lose it.

Blizzard

Banned
I've never seen the Broadway version, but I saw the new movie a couple of days ago and liked it overall. It was quite funny in parts, though almost all the characters were rather obnoxious in terms of how they behaved. I imagine that may be part of the point though, that everyone was flawed.

I felt like the story as a whole involves elements of growing up, lost innocence, going out into the complicated real world, etc. I talked to one of my friends about it who DOES know Broadway stuff, and amusingly enough they also mentioned the wolf genitalia from the stage version.

I felt like overall, Rapunzel and her prince ended up the best off. He lost his sight but got it back, she lost her hair but still looked good without it all, she ended up riding off with him, and she never saw the witch again which was what she wished for.

My favorite song from the movie was AGONYYYYYY. Hilarious.

jackal27

Banned
Agony was great, but other than that I really didn't enjoy this. What was the tone? What was the point? My brain was all over the place. Ways to post-modern.

Also, who'd have thought Chris Pine would do a better William Shatner impersonation in THIS movie than Star Trek!?

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Does that wolf have a penis?

Oh you KNOW he does. Also - That wolf is also cinderella's prince.

And i always interpreted it not so much as a kind of pedo or whatever song but more along the lines of a general "sexual predator" ... type of thing. Pretty heavy handed tho. The grandma in the play was waaaaaay better tho..

"Go and fetch some stones.. then we'll fill his belly with them and watch him try to run away! HAHA!"

Belfast

Well, since you asked for an explanation: They used Rapunzel because she is the fairy tale character that was suited to the dramatic purpose they needed in the story of the Witch. What I mean by that is the Witch desperately wants to protect her child from the world (the song "Stay With Me" illustrates this in the show/film). Since Rapunzel is, in fairy tale lore, trapped in a tower she can't escape from, that makes her a perfect fit, both in story and metaphor, for the Witch's desire to protect her - putting her somewhere she can't otherwise escape.

In the stage production, Rapunzel
is killed by the Giant's wife in the second act
, and also, both princes get bored with having what they presumed were their dream women and sing a reprise of "Agony," after they've found new women: Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. This was all cut from the film, obviously.

The story of Rapunzel and the Witch is part of the overriding theme of the show, which is the coupling of personal and parental responsibility/failure and the fact that terrible things happen to people who don't deserve it (the woods are stated as a metaphor for this) and how we move on from all of that and try to fix it. Rapunzel running off with her prince, as seen in the film, really undercuts that part of the Witch's story, instead of the stage version's events.

Rapunzel is the Baker's brother simply as a plot contrivance to tie the stories of the Witch and the Baker together. It doesn't need to go any further than that and would overcomplicate an already packed show if it did.

And for those wondering why the Wolf in the stage production has a dick, the story of Little Red Riding Hood can be viewed as a metaphor for sexual awakening/maturity, hence the dick/pedo elements, and Depp doing the Wolf like a pimp.

Having seen the movie, and being a big fan of the original show, I think they made a big mistake in cutting both the second act opener and "No More," which was the Baker's big second act song. If you're already going to the use the Baker's father as a ghost/vision/whatever, then why not do the song? It's so thematically important to the show, it was a shame to lose it.

In addition to this, for anyone curious as to what happens to Rapunzel in the stage version:
After finding out that she's going to skip town with one of the Princes, the Witch sends Rapunzel off into the desert, where she gives birth to twins, goes crazy, and wanders aimlessly for MONTHS until the Prince finds her. This also implies that the Prince has been blind for the same amount of time, instead of the five minutes they make it feel like in the film.

In fact, the act break is the thing the film is missing the most, because a fair amount of time passes between the royal wedding and the time the female giant attacks, instead of it happening immediately. The characters have no time to settle into the doldrums of their lives, which is what really lays the foundation for the emotional parts of the second act. This is why the second act in the movie lacks punch compared to the stage version.

Anyhow, the Prince has grown tired of Rapunzel's mood swings (probably a form of PTSD) and, like his brother, sets off to seek another maiden. Once the giant initially confronts everyone in the middle of the woods, Rapunzel enters the scene screaming and babbling. She sees the Witch, which sets her off even more, and she runs in the other direction... right under the she-giant's foot.

Rapunzel's character isn't as integral to the plot as many of the others, but the stage version of her story gets a lot of drama (and humor) from her descent into madness, giving her the dimension that she completely lacks in the film. Sorry to say to the poster above, her story does not typically end up well. ;)

Azriell

My 7 year old daughter was asking to see this the other day. I hadn't even heard of it before then, and wasn't really sure what it was until now. Now that I know it has Anna Kendrick in it we might just have to go see it.

okno

As a huge fan of the original musical and someone who is dating a massive musical theater buff and massive fan of the original musical, I (and he) loved the hell out of it. Was it perfect? No. Did it cut out all of the unnecessary songs to make better suited for a movie theater experience? Yes. Was Johnny Depp totally unnecessary? Absolutely. Did everyone do a great job with the jobs? They sure did, although Meryl could've been much stronger.

For being a Disney-fied version of the musical, I thought they still kept it very adult and engaging. The musical itself is too long with too many songs, so I found the film to be a bit refreshing, although the second act, just as with the original piece, meandered too much and faltered some.

To act like the broadway version of 'Into the Woods' isn't a flawed piece of work is just stupid. It's a brilliant music with a lot of problems, but the highs more than make up for the lows. The film, we felt, cut out a lot of the problems, but introduced some of its own.

Blizzard

Banned
In addition to this, for anyone curious as to what happens to Rapunzel in the stage version:
After finding out that she's going to skip town with one of the Princes, the Witch sends Rapunzel off into the desert, where she gives birth to twins, goes crazy, and wanders aimlessly for MONTHS until the Prince finds her. This also implies that the Prince has been blind for the same amount of time, instead of the five minutes they make it feel like in the film.

In fact, the act break is the thing the film is missing the most, because a fair amount of time passes between the royal wedding and the time the female giant attacks, instead of it happening immediately. The characters have no time to settle into the doldrums of their lives, which is what really lays the foundation for the emotional parts of the second act. This is why the second act in the movie lacks punch compared to the stage version.

Anyhow, the Prince has grown tired of Rapunzel's mood swings (probably a form of PTSD) and, like his brother, sets off to seek another maiden. Once the giant initially confronts everyone in the middle of the woods, Rapunzel enters the scene screaming and babbling. She sees the Witch, which sets her off even more, and she runs in the other direction... right under the she-giant's foot.

Rapunzel's character isn't as integral to the plot as many of the others, but the stage version of her story gets a lot of drama (and humor) from her descent into madness, giving her the dimension that she completely lacks in the film. Sorry to say to the poster above, her story does not typically end up well. ;)

Wow, thanks for the information on how the stage version works. I'm rather glad I saw the movie instead, since that all sounds horribly depressing. :p

Just saw it with my dad today as he's a big Woods fan. Overall, I felt it was a solid, if flawed, adaptation even if Disney took a few liberties in making the film more family friendly.

The second (third?) act wasn't quite as dark as I would have liked, but given Disney and the fact that they were marketing it for families it worked.

Prior to this, my only exposure to ITW was a local performance at the community theater in Cali and this was much, much better if just for the sheer spectacle of it.

Shit sucked for the most part.

Jack was horribly miscast. He shouldn't be a kid whose voice hasn't changed yet.

Cutting Agony Reprise robbed the second act of some of its best humor. The whole point of the princes is that there are only two princes who combine to be the prince in every fairy tale.

Meryl Streep was miscast. She doesn't hold a candle to Bernadette Peters.

The movie needed Ever After to close out the first act.

Censoring the Rapunzel story ripped a lot of dramatic weight right out of the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom