• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispute over whether DotA2 has passed LoL in the west; LoL 500k concurrent US+EU

JoeInky

500.000 LoL players in US and Europe? What happened to the 5.000.000 concurrent? 4.5 million players in Asia?

As has been said before, one of the dota chinese clients has around 5billion games played a year, dota2 which is available in non-asian countries has I think something like 500m games played so far?

It's not really that much of a surprise that there would be 4.5m players in Asia, that's where dota-likes are big.

500.000 LoL players in US and Europe? What happened to the 5.000.000 concurrent? 4.5 million players in Asia?
Yeah we got some data out of this anyway. 500,000 is better than a mystery. I'm really excited to see what happens over the next year.

9/10ths of the player base in Asia wasn't what I expected.

la_briola

sPcPm.gif

Fivefold

Banned

This is a much more reasonable number and just shows that the whole "but LoL is 50x more popular than all other online games" is pure marketing bullshit.

F#A#Oo

Banned
This piece of news...it redeems me for sticking with Dota. In fact it redeems me for investing hundreds of hours I've put in it.

I've bought a new mouse, I've forsaken sex, sleep and valuable sitting on the shitter time just so I can squeeze that extra 1 or 2 game's in.

ALL WORTH IT!

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Yeah we got some data out of this anyway. 500,000 is better than a mystery. I'm really excited to see what happens over the next year.

Then Dota 2 is much closer than I expected. We won't see Steam numbers in Asia since Perfect World will not have a Steam client for Dota 2, but I expect Dota 2 to reach 500.000 easily in the west.

This is a much more reasonable number and just shows that the whole "but LoL is 50x more popular than all other online games" is pure marketing bullshit.

Wrong

Update 2: Riot Games has challenged DFC Intelligence's report and approached GamesIndustry International with its own statistics on the matter. According to a Riot Games spokesperson, League of Legends sees "over 500,000 peak concurrent players every day on just the EU West shard," which doesn't even touch on players in the United States. This is contrasted with the 325,879 players that Valve's Steamgraph shows as the all-time high for Dota 2 Beta.

Wrong

Update 2: Riot Games has challenged DFC Intelligence's report and approached GamesIndustry International with its own statistics on the matter. According to a Riot Games spokesperson, League of Legends sees "over 500,000 peak concurrent players every day on just the EU West shard," which doesn't even touch on players in the United States. This is contrasted with the 325,879 players that Valve's Steamgraph shows as the all-time high for Dota 2 Beta.

Sorry they change their statements? I was going off what they said earlier...

Weird they contradicted their first statement on the same day they released it.
It's two different outlets. They could be reaching out individually to places and someone delivered the wrong wording or the place interpreted it wrong or it could be a giant game of telephone.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
Weird that this David Cole is very sure about his statistics. It just seems not possible....

Wrong

Even if we believe Riot and their stats, I doubt that more than 1 million players are in US when EU west has 500.000. 3.5 million in Asia seems on par with other games.

Weird that this David Cole is very sure about his statistics. It just seems not possible....

Even if we believe Riot and their stats, I doubt that more than 1 million players are in US when EU west has 500.000. 3.5 million in Asia seems on par with other games.
There is a request sample link on his page. Someone should try it, as buying the report at 6000 bucks probably isn't going to happen.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
If LoL peaks averages around 500k in the west a day, where Dota's Caps at about 250k, I will still stand behind my original interpretation that Dota 2 is more popular with the "Hard Core" PC Gamers.

To be honest, if it is really "only" 500k in NA+Europe, I can see Dota passing that up before years end.

I'm pretty sure they stated the EU West has more players then NA alone.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
There is a request sample link on his page. Someone should try it, as buying the report at 6000 bucks probably isn't going to happen.

I requested the sample report, but there's nothing interesting in it. The only thing that stood out to me, is that they again metioned the 22 million Xfire users as part or their basis.

They chart itself is pretty extensive but nothing about the methods they use....

Boken

Banned
the EUW server shits itself due to overcapacity every 2 days so i think 500k on at that point in time on EUW sounds about right

Top Bottom