• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dispute over whether DotA2 has passed LoL in the west; LoL 500k concurrent US+EU

hamchan

Everybody who is interested in it is playing already. Release won't change much.

Well, I'd say the majority of players in the end will be the casual-ish crowd who currently aren't interested in the game or even know it exists, and just stumble onto the game through word of mouth or advertisements, similar to how LoL started to get bigger and bigger.

Sentenza

Everybody who is interested in it is playing already. Release won't change much.
I already argued against this in the past, but just to reiterate: I'm calling bullshit on this argument.

The "mainstream audience" will take notice of DOTA 2 when the game will be available on the front page of Steam Store, ready to download and with a flashy banner pointing it.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Believe Valve said that that is in the eventual pipeline.

They will likely recreate the Original Pudge wars, where I bet a bunch of people are going to try variations. I personally want some sort of "Invoker Wars", where Invoker has access to all 10 of his spells at all times.

danmaku

It was discounted countless times, though. If you had any interest in the game, you could've bought it for a couple of €.

Still wasn't 2p.

It will grow, not because of it being free necessarily but because of the massive push it will receive on steam as well as media outlets.

There's also China to come in as well.

danmaku

Still wasn't 2p.

It will grow, not because of it being free necessarily but because of the massive push it will receive on steam as well as media outlets.

There's also China to come in as well.

That's what I'm saying as well. The game being "free" already doesn't matter much. However...

Were there any popular free-to-play alternatives to TF2 back then similar to League of Legends now? I imagine a lot of those potential DOTA 2 adapters are currently playing LoL.

...this is an important factor. I imagine a lot of LoL players won't make the jump, simply because DOTA2 is very similar and they have invested a lot of time in LoL already (and LoL has permanent features that help customer retention). On the other hand, LoL isn't on Steam so for the Steam-only crowd DOTA2 is totally new and LoL isn't an option. And by "Steam-only" I mean not only hardcore fans but also casuals that can't be arsed to search for games outside of Steam.

Agree with that

I think VALVe carry that cache as well, certainly the reason why I even got into Moba games was because VALVe copyrighted Dota.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
TF2 went from £12-15 to free.

You can buy a Dota 2 key for 2p.

Not quite the same.

It's only 2p if you go to the Steam Community market, purchase a key with your Steam Wallet funds, and then activate that key.

I can count the number of people on my friendslist who even know the Steam community market exists on 1 hand.

It's only 2p if you go to the Steam Community market, purchase a key with your Steam Wallet funds, and then activate that key.

I can count the number of people on my friendslist who even know the Steam community market exists on 1 hand.

But you only have 5 friends on your friends list.

Riot has issued a statement. Needless to say, they said the report is BS.
Riot have poured cold water on DFC’s somewhat dubious report, asserting that they see over 500,000 concurrent LoL players in the US and Europe alone (as opposed to Dota 2′s 300,000 odd globally). Riot tell me that DFC “is in the process of pulling their press release promoting this report.” So LoL very much remains king of MOBA castle, whichever angle you look at it from.

TwiztidElf

Eh. I'm a casual SC2 and LoL player. More than happy to try DOTA2 when it releases.
Not going to bother till then. It's a mix of not really having time, can't be bothered/too lazy to do whatever you have to do to get into beta, and I've waited this long so I may aswell wait for the full official retail product with all the champions available on day 1.

Dec

Problem is, if you have a source you mention it. So by only mentioning xfire, it makes one wonder, don't you think? And what's the point of using xfire and the league client?

Xfire offers a lot of the same things the Steam overlay offers, none of which LoL offers in-game. So there is a point, not to mention video recording, screenshots etc.

Throwing out facts disproving an obviously wrong article = being a dick.
I wasn't saying Riot was being dicks. I was saying if Valve had embraced this report in some way and defended it when it turned out to be wrong they could come across as silly looking.

But they're on vacation anyway.

Einbroch

Banned
I wasn't saying Riot was being dicks. I was saying if Valve had embraced this report in some way and defended it when it turned out to be wrong they could come across as silly looking.

But they're on vacation anyway.
Ah, then I misunderstood your post, my apologies.

Kade

DFC’s David Cole provided us with information on how they arrived at their conclusion. “We do have access to all Xfire data and they are a key source,” he said. “However, we also do a lot of data mining of multiple sources to get a better sample. This includes forums etc.

Xfire and forums. These guys are ridiculous.

KKRT00

Well, I'd say the majority of players in the end will be the casual-ish crowd who currently aren't interested in the game or even know it exists, and just stumble onto the game through word of mouth or advertisements, similar to how LoL started to get bigger and bigger.

So You are saying that people who play LoL, dont know that DOTA 2 exist?

I had four acquaintances who all play lol and played a lot of original dota who were only playing lol to "waste time until dota 2 came out". They had no clue until one of them asked me about it 2 or 3 months ago.

/personal anecdote

TGMIII

From personal experience I think a lot of LoL players don't care until Dota2 offically releases. A large amount of the people I know that play LoL say that they don't want to get into Dota2 until all of the heroes have been added.

They just have no self confidence in their product. That why they use propaganda and sabotage the competition.

As scummy as Riot have been in some regards, and some individual employees, you can't say that it hasn't been successful. Whoever is behind their marketing done an amazing job, not that I condone any of it but from a business perspective it's impressive. I remember playing in the first beta for LoL and wondering to myself why anyone would play it over HoN or DotA but here we are with riot having huge concurrent and monthly player numbers. I think part of that is down to the shit slinging between communities too. There's people out there who apparently hate the game but you would swear that they spend more time talking about it than playing whatever it is they like.

JoeInky

I find it odd that DOTA 2 runs so poorly on my machine. Is it unoptimized?

They haven't started optimising it for low-end machines yet, which is going to be the key to trying to get the chinese dota community to switch to 2, so I'm assuming they're going to start doing that sometime around the chinese release.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Surpass WoW users you say?

EA now preparing a doomed attempt at a Star Wars MOBA.

Surpassing WoW users is rather worthless as a top end size metric as it's not even the largest mmo number wise. WoWs schtick is that all those users are paying customers either by suscription e.g monthly etc or by the hour. In comparison to f2p games when only a very small amount of users actually pay anything. So the most probable scenario is that WoW will continue to dwarf it's revenue stream.

That's why subscription mmo's were seen as the golden goose.

Boken

Banned
you all got bitch slapped

riot with the pimp hand

now kiss the ring boys and girls

ps hon is basically a shitty dota with lol style speed

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
ps hon is basically a shitty dota with lol style speed

In the interest of fair discussion, I feel that HoN is a nice intermediary between Dota and LoL in terms of complexity and depth. Unless you're solely expressing your distaste for the art style, in which case I share your sentiment. HoN is very... unnecessarily bleak.

Liha

Banned
For me, dota represents a level of complexity in mechanics that makes for an incredibly dynamic multiplayer experience, the likes of which are practically non-existant in todays competitive gaming scene.

I congratulate, everything has been said.

fresquito

Eh. I'm a casual SC2 and LoL player. More than happy to try DOTA2 when it releases.
Not going to bother till then. It's a mix of not really having time, can't be bothered/too lazy to do whatever you have to do to get into beta, and I've waited this long so I may aswell wait for the full official retail product with all the champions available on day 1.
I can give you a key if you want one. Most heroes are already there (I think there're 5 missing?): PM if you wan the key.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
500.000 LoL players in US and Europe? What happened to the 5.000.000 concurrent? 4.5 million players in Asia?

la_briola

[...] As scummy as Riot have been in some regards, and some individual employees, you can't say that it hasn't been successful. Whoever is behind their marketing done an amazing job, not that I condone any of it but from a business perspective it's impressive. I remember playing in the first beta for LoL and wondering to myself why anyone would play it over HoN or DotA but here we are with riot having huge concurrent and monthly player numbers. I think part of that is down to the shit slinging between communities too. There's people out there who apparently hate the game but you would swear that they spend more time talking about it than playing whatever it is they like.

I won't deny that.

scy

As some who plays LoL, I've also played some DotA2 if only because I was curious about how much harder it is mechanically. And it's not _that_ much harder (really, not at all, just different).

I still follow the tournaments but I really wish you guys had better casters ;__;

I think part of that is down to the shit slinging between communities too.

I don't understand this, to be honest. I don't really have a problem with DotA2 but the vitriol between the communities is ridiculous :/

Top Bottom