• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia Duodecim Final Fantasy Site Opens

Aru said:
Vayne and his young brother would be good choices, I think.

'Cept for the fact that him and Larsa only become enemies for literally the last battle.

The combinations of XII heroes and villains are:

Ashe/Vayne

Balthier/Dr.Cid

Basch/Gabranth

So it'd be one of those three.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fimbulvetr said:
'Cept for the fact that him and Larsa only become enemies for literally the last battle.

Ashe/Vayne

Balthier/Dr.Cid

Basch/Gabranth

Well, Gabranth will definitely be in the game. There's no point in taking him OUT, since he's already in it.

d04.jpg

Just noticed the "ATK" below Lightning's portrait, which is the abbreviation of the "Attacker" role in FFXIII (called "Commando" in the English translation, "COM"). So it would seem Paradigm shifting is involved with Lightning in some sort of fashion...

Fimbulvetr said:
What a mean thing to say!

I don't think I expressed this much in the thread I made but I thought the plot was fine. Conflict cycles & using FF1 as the overall plot made things easy to follow. I'm pleased at the nods to the Warrior of Light

Urban Scholar said:
I don't think I expressed this much in the thread I made but I thought the plot was fine. Conflict cycles & using FF1 as the overall plot made things easy to follow. I'm pleased at the nods to the Warrior of Light

I'm just glad it could be expressed with such eloquent dialog.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Fimbulvetr said:

Ashe/Vayne

Balthier/Dr.Cid

Basch/Gabranth

That one or bust.
But watch it not be that :(

Kagari said:
That one or bust.

Another father son conflict would add nicely plot wise, as I played, Tidus's story felt solo in this regard compared to others. Also having Dr. Cid there would make him the next nut job villain and Exdeath & Kefka need company in that camp.

duckroll

Bebpo said:
Doesn't seem that quick to me. Dissidia was a while ago.

They probably only started working on the game seriously after Universal Tuning shipped though. That's about a year ago. 1-1.5 years for a sequel is pretty quick.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
While the initial announcement excited me, I'm not going to be fooled again.

Dissidia was one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. The premise is the stuff fan dreams are made of and yet almost every aspect of the game had me feeling like wasted potential.

So I suppose I should preface this with the (obvious) fact I am a KH whore, but I couldn't disagree more with you. The music was fun the story, with all its melodrama and ridiculousness and all was fantastic and it is without a doubt one of the better games on the PSP (behind BBS of course >.>).

I would be lying if I said I wouldn't LOVE (and demand :<) Dissidia 2 but even so, if this turns out to be nothing more than "Super" Dissidia I'd still be happy.

TheChillyAcademic said:
The music was fun the story, with all its melodrama and ridiculousness and all was fantastic and it is without a doubt one of the better games on the PSP (behind BBS of course >.>).

I would be lying if I said I wouldn't LOVE (and demand :<) Dissidia 2 but even so, if this turns out to be nothing more than "Super" Dissidia I'd still be happy.

Not sure you don't post as much(?) but Chilly you're alright.

TheChillyAcademic said:
So I suppose I should preface this with the (obvious) fact I am a KH whore, but I couldn't disagree more with you. The music was fun the story, with all its melodrama and ridiculousness and all was fantastic and it is without a doubt one of the better games on the PSP (behind BBS of course >.>).
The music wasn't bad, just lackluster. I think Squares own Chocobo Dungeon even had better remixes than Dissidia, let alone the many stellar fan remixes I've heard. What would make for a more epic fight with Kefka, this remix or this remix? Then the track selection leaves a lot to be desired and the remixes stopped from FF8 and up.

If you liked the story then we just have to disagree. I played Crisis Core right before Dissidia and was kinda expecting the same level of storytelling, cut-scenes, and interaction. Dissidias scenes felt like emotionless monologues in comparison. I kept thinking "all the FF lore, all the memories and backstories, and this is what you do with it???"

Funny you mention you are a KH fan because if you ask me KH is like the very definition of how you do fanservice. Every disney world you travel to feels just like the movie. I'm not even that big of a disney fan but kingdom hearts had my inner nostalgia in a constant joy spasm. Heck if you just took the KH formula and did it with FF instead of Disney it would be awesome. Imagine starting as WoL, finding that Chaos is threating all worlds as you know it, so you have to travel to each FF world and recruit the heroes to stop him.

duckroll

RuneFactoryFanboy obviously hates Dissidia and doesn't care for the sequel. We get it. No one cares what you think though. :p

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I care, but only for the sake of humor.

Vamphuntr

Kagari said:
That one or bust.

Yeah it would be great. Basch/Gabranth would also be nice, they only need to add Basch since Gabranth was already in Dissidia. I hope they add a bunch of new magic users too. I loved to play as Terra. Since Kain is in, how about Rydia?

thetrin

Vamphuntr said:
Yeah it would be great. Basch/Gabranth would also be nice, they only need to add Basch since Gabranth was already in Dissidia. I hope they add a bunch of new magic users too. I loved to play as Terra. Since Kain is in, how about Rydia?

I hope they add Locke. He was always one of my favorites in FFVI. It would be great if they made him close range and really agile, similar to Zidane.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
If you liked the story then we just have to disagree. I played Crisis Core right before Dissidia and was kinda expecting the same level of storytelling, cut-scenes, and interaction. Dissidias scenes felt like emotionless monologues in comparison. I kept thinking "all the FF lore, all the memories and backstories, and this is what you do with it???" .

I think its par for the course for games like this (BBS, CC) tbh. That includes silly and generic monologues about good vs. evil and villains who are both effeminate and generally moronic in all ways. Be it attempting to tie in the themes of a game's plot with Loveless or the eternal righteous struggle of LIGHT VS DARK, it's all ridiculous and all silly.

Again, that being said, I love it. Sure, could they have done more to tie in the plots of the individual games into the overall narrative in a way that would have been both nostalgic and turn Dissidia into the ultimate piece of fan service? Yeah, they could have.

But that wasn't gonna happen, we all knew it. It was gonna be what it was, silly, ridiculous and Square Enix-y.

And that's just fine.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
If you liked the story then we just have to disagree. I played Crisis Core right before Dissidia and was kinda expecting the same level of storytelling, cut-scenes, and interaction.

So that's nutty crap versus liquid crap?

Vamphuntr

thetrin said:
I hope they add Locke. He was always one of my favorites in FFVI. It would be great if they made him close range and really agile, similar to Zidane.

Locke would be an interesting choice. I would like them to use Relm also but only if they are able to find a new mechanism to make her interesting. Since her sketch/draw command would basically let you use a skill from your opponent, I would guess they would try to make her a magic user with commands from the other characters from the roster like Bartz was in the original Dissidia. It would be cool if some of her moves were actually her drawing some classic FF enemies. Like drawing a chocobo would do a choco kick physical type attack or drawing a cactuar would do the classic 1,000 needles. They could give her basic combo moves like the elemental magic in Dissidia and the chain abilities would be the drawings instead of Flare and Ultima and such.

I think people forget that this game is essentially a fighting game. It's not meant to have a KH-esque story. The story in the original Dissidia was a huge leap ahead of most fighting games in terms of storytelling and 'plot'.

It succeeded in what it set out to be; a crossover fighting game that sparked nostalgia for fanservice. Kefka with his insanity, Golbez with his brooding cryptic dialogue, Emporer Mateus and his grandiose delusions, Exdeath and his 'void, void, void, also void' shit, Terra's self-doubt and demure attitude. Even under developed characters had what little information given about them fleshed out, Firion's hot-blooded love for freedom, Garland's obsession with destiny and the circle of time.

I really don't know what more people could have asked for. Some people complaied about the Amano influence, but it was actually a fair trade off. All of the characters that were defined in higher detail (FF7+) looked exactly spot on. Low-res era characters were recreated wonderfully, and exactly how I would imagine them to look had FF1-6 been made 10 years later..

The combat system was new and interesting. Nomura set out to make a game that played 'like the fight scenes in Advent Children' and succeeded. Had they made the game more conventional people would have complained that 'This is just Street Fighter/Tekken/Soul Calibur/Smash Bros. with Final Fantasy characters!! SNORE!!'.

Call me a Dissidia fanboy if you want, but I loved the original and plugged in 160+ hours into my file.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Are you kidding? The Amano "graphics" were the best part!!
Seriously, who complained about that? As for the storyline, there was just a lot of unnecessary scenes that the game could have done without. With Super Dissidia I'd rather they just follow what most fighting games do. Short cutscene in the characters introduction and final cutscene after defeating the last opponent. Use the extra space for more characters and stages.

MechaX

SuperAngelo64 said:
I think people forget that this game is essentially a fighting game. It's not meant to have a KH-esque story. The story in the original Dissidia was a huge leap ahead of most fighting games in terms of storytelling and 'plot'.

Eh... I dunno about that. Sure, Dissidia did have more cutscenes than most fighting games, but 99% of them were just characters standing around saying "I won't give up!" or "I'll beat you [series villain]." The actual story-telling was akin to the likes of the newer Street Fighter, and is certainly behind the likes of Mortal Kombat in terms of (stupid) backstory and is a light-year behind the likes of the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue games in terms of... everything story-related.

MechaX said:
Eh... I dunno about that. Sure, Dissidia did have more cutscenes than most fighting games, but 99% of them were just characters standing around saying "I won't give up!" or "I'll beat you [series villain]." The actual story-telling was akin to the likes of the newer Street Fighter, and is certainly behind the likes of Mortal Kombat in terms of (stupid) backstory and is a light-year behind the likes of the Guilty Gear and BlazBlue games in terms of... everything story-related.

I wasn't in it for the story, I was there for the grind.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
SuperAngelo64 said:

Freaking The Subspace Emissary Mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a more engaging plot.

thetrin

Regulus Tera said:
Freaking The Subspace Emissary Mode in Super Smash Bros. Brawl had a more engaging plot.

You play fighting games for the plot?

thetrin

Regulus Tera said:
Kind of missing the point there.

What's the point? That most people in this thread miss the point of playing the single player portion of a fighting game?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
thetrin said:
What's the point? That most people in this thread miss the point of playing the single player portion of a fighting game?

SuperAngelo claims that Dissidia's story mode was leaps improved over that of standard fighting games. My retort was an attempt to assert that while this is such the case, the writing was still awful by comparing it to the horrendous plot of The Subspace Emissary. In fact, I'd argue that having such an intrusive and uninteresting plot detracts from the experience of watching Final Fantasy shit blowing up.

thetrin

Regulus Tera said:
SuperAngelo claims that Dissidia's story mode was leaps improved over that of standard fighting games. My retort was an attempt to assert that while this is such the case, the writing was still awful by comparing it to the horrendous plot of The Subspace Emissary. In fact, I'd argue that having such an intrusive and uninteresting plot detracts from the experience of watching Final Fantasy shit blowing up.

The plot was hardly intrusive. Intrusive would have been going into dialogue in the middle of a battle.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
thetrin said:
The plot was hardly intrusive. Intrusive would have been going into dialogue in the middle of a battle.

When I keep thinking "augh after I win this I have to dawdle in that bullshit again" I call that intrusive.

Admittedly, I could have skipped the cutscenes. But then how would I have the right to bitch about them?

thetrin

Regulus Tera said:
When I keep thinking "augh after I win this I have to dawdle in that bullshit again" I call that intrusive.

Admittedly, I could have skipped the cutscenes. But then how would I have the right to bitch about them?

You BARELY have the right to bitch about them already.

Pietepiet

Green Mamba said:
d04.jpg

Just noticed the "ATK" below Lightning's portrait, which is the abbreviation of the "Attacker" role in FFXIII (called "Commando" in the English translation, "COM"). So it would seem Paradigm shifting is involved with Lightning in some sort of fashion...

Considering she's doing her EX Burst in that screenshot, and in the original Dissidia the UI changed to the corresponding game's UI when doing EX Burst, I think it's just a little touch for her burst :p

Top Bottom