• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dissidia Final Fantasy ARCADE ANNOUNCED! [Update: Trailer + Info]

TreIII

The more FF games release, the less chance there is for supporting characters to appear in the game. They obviously want to appease the entire catalog of mainline games and there are only so many characters you can dedicate time to.

Well, look on the bright side.

Assuming this game does well enough to warrant expansions/sequels (and let's face it, it'll happen)? There's always the likelihood of more supporting characters rounding out the cast for future games in this series. Not unlike how things worked for the Gundam Vs. line.

After all, even SE can only make new FF games but so fast. But if this becomes a franchise, they'll need to take other measures in order to keep things exciting and keep people playing.

I don't get why Nael's new "form" is a woman's. Some people say that it may have been based on Bradamante (the unseen character who is also the namesake of Nael's gunhalberd). It's still just an unconfirmed speculation, though.

Yeah, that's what I've read too. I suppose now it will never be answered who was that woman, or maybe it will be mentioned in a Story Ultimania or something.

J-Tier

However unlikely it would be awesome if Square decided to add Quina to Dissidia, right guys? ... guys?

I'm a fan of visual variety, so I'd be okay with that. Might as well toss in Cait Sith too.

My dream character would be Ramza, where his attacks have movement tiles appear beneath him.

However unlikely it would be awesome if Square decided to add Quina to Dissidia, right guys? ... guys?

Kimari, Quistis, and Quina could be a good candidate for the blue mage. However, I have no idea how blue mage can be an interesting style on its own without copying the other mage characters in the game.

Squire

Banned
Figures..

I think on the X list, she is on the bottom part along with Kimahri. Unless they decide to put every main cast in the roster (lol as if), her chances are very slim, unfortunately.

But they could always try and use her mastery over dolls for something

Lulu is definitely at least a little more popular than that. If anything the order is something like: Tidus, Yuna, Auron, Rikku.

I guess I'm just saying im confident she's also more popular than Wakka.

wmlk

Alternatively, they could make space for a larger roster this time around since the focus seems to be on 3v3 battles. You would assume that variety would be more important for this direction.

I wonder if it will be PSN only or a boxed release.

Dissidia PS4 for tradition!

Dissidia_012_PSP.jpg

-Ryn

Banned
Can't wait to see all the redone Ex Bursts!

Really hope Noctis is in. I want to see a battle between him and Cloud lol

Golnei

Alternatively, they could make space for a larger roster this time around since the focus seems to be on 3v3 battles. You would assume that variety would be more important for this direction.

That'd be the ideal, but with the amount of work it'd take to recreate a character's model, textures, VFX and animations at this level of detail, I'm doubtful even all of 012's roster will return. Though that depends on how much of a budget this has, and possibly how much they intend to designate as DLC for the console release.

Dissidia PS4 for tradition!

Dissidia_012_PSP.jpg

Impossible, there's not nearly enough black and gold.

Amir0x

Banned
Honestly I always thought Dissidia was really poor from a gameplay perspective. Nice fanservice, but I always preferred Theatrhythm for that purpose since it has good gameplay too. Like from the fighting game perspective it was unbalanced and wonky as fuck, and the action RPG elements just seemed sort of easily breakable and grindy. None of it felt like a fun cohesive whole.

Since this is a reboot, I hope they get it right this time and focus on gameplay being decent and balanced rather than just fanservicey splooge

Squire

Banned
Honestly I always thought Dissidia was really poor from a gameplay perspective. Nice fanservice, but I always preferred Theatrhythm for that purpose since it has good gameplay too. Like from the fighting game perspective it was unbalanced and wonky as fuck, and the action RPG elements just seemed sort of easily breakable and grindy. None of it felt like a fun cohesive whole.

Since this is a reboot, I hope they get it right this time and focus on gameplay being decent and balanced rather than just fanservicey splooge

This. Dissidia has never actually been a good game from any angle. And there's no excuse for that. Hopefully they get this one right. 3v3 is a good start.

-Ryn

Banned
- Brand new story and setting for Dissidia, not based on the previous Dissidia storyline. It's a reboot.
- 3 vs 3 battles.
- The trailer doesn't use any CG, it's all in-game assets.
- They'll be holding a press conference on April 10 to reveal all the details about the game.
So wait is it retconing the events of the previous games or just telling another story in the dissidia universe? Or is that even known yet?

April 10 can't come soon enough.

Dissidia is great. It's what we needed in two different ways.

A non-traditional fighting game (very few these days) that works and is fun, that is still able to fit every FF style into the same game, and a crossover FF for the fanservice, and introducing new players.

The equipment could be optional, but it doesn't really ruin the game. And the only real problem is the poor balance the game has (which an arcade game will probably fix).

Also, disagreed with being wonky, the game feels great. And the sheer amount of content is crazy.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Guessing they will release this on PS4 in Japan sometime before FFXV comes out in order to continue to build install base.

While I'm happy since I never owned a PSP so I only got to play a little with a friend (assuming it comes to consoles):

Brand new story and setting for Dissidia, not based on the previous Dissidia storyline. It's a reboot.

Didn't Duodecim already have massive retcons?

Squire

Banned
It amazes me whenever anyone that regularly other fighters thinks Dissidia feels good.

I love the idea, but the actual game is all over the place.

Guessing they will release this on PS4 in Japan sometime before FFXV comes out in order to continue to build install base.

This is either coming early then or FFXV is coming late.

Kimari, Quistis, and Quina could be a good candidate for the blue mage. However, I have no idea how blue mage can be an interesting style on its own without copying the other mage characters in the game.

Quina would copy other characters moves in the game like Kirby, but also maintain some of her unique attacks like Frog Drop and Limit Glove.

It amazes me whenever anyone that regularly other fighters thinks Dissidia feels good.

This is either coming early then or FFXV is coming late.

Huh? This sentence didn't come out right, but going off the follow up sentence are you saying the games feel all over the place? I have similar feelings, but I describe the gameplay as being floaty and loose.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???

SE always releases a Final Fantasy game in either Nov or Dec. This could be it.

-Ryn

Banned

This. Dissidia has never actually been a good game from any angle. And there's no excuse for that. Hopefully they get this one right. 3v3 is a good start.
Okay come on now. The game needed work but it was by no means bad.

The gameplay was really solid albeit in need of tweaking. Combos, blocking, assists, chases, precision abilities, ability chaining, wall running, dashing, dodging and plenty of other elements made this a solid fighting game.The RPG system felt kind of tacked on but it wasn't terrible.

Dissidia is great. It's what we needed in two different ways.

A non-traditional fighting game (very few these days) that works and is fun, that is still able to fit every FF style into the same game, and a crossover FF for the fanservice, and introducing new players.

The equipment could be optional, but it doesn't really ruin the game. And the only real problem is the poor balance the game has (which an arcade game will probably fix).

Also, disagreed with being wonky, the game feels great. And the sheer amount of content is crazy.

CrimsonCrescendo said:
If I recall the only major retcons were to FF1 with the WoL being more of a composite character.

They did a really good job thing everything together. I love that Dissidia confirmed the FF series is a multiverse of sorts.

Duodecim is a prequel.

And Dissidia as whole should never be played for the story =X

I play (regularly) SF4, Skullgirls, and I play (ocasionally) Divekick, Tekken and Blazblue.

Dissidia feels great. Dodging has a good amount of iframes while still putting a decent amount of recovery time, flying and the mobility stuff works really well if you're not playing in a small arena (Phantom Train), and very few attacks feel that they don't quite work properly.

Squire

Banned
Huh? This sentence didn't come out right, but going off the follow up sentence are you saying the games feel all over the place? I have similar feelings, but I describe the gameplay as being floaty and loose.

Yes, the missing word there is "plays". My bad.

You got what I meant though.

The gameplay was really solid albeit in need of tweaking. Combos, blocking, assists, chases, precision abilities, ability chaining, wall running, dashing, dodging and plenty of other elements made this a solid fighting game.The RPG system felt kind of tacked on but it wasn't terrible.

The games are really mediocre.

Seik

Banned
The story in the original Dissidia games was trash because Toriyama.

The stories were trash indeed but I never took it too seriously since they were fighting games, more specifically, FF fighting games. :p

Basically, it's hard to try and make up something that would make sense for these kind of... events that happens.

never played a Dissida Game, so i may be completely wrong, but this totally looks like a Naruto Storm Game...
Maybe this is the Final Fantasy Game CyberConnect was talking about?

With this and FFXV they can do some Co-marketing.

Everyone who pre-orders FFXV will get Notcis as a character in Dissidia. And everyone who buys Dissida will get a special skin for XV

-Ryn

Banned
And Dissidia as whole should never be played for the story =X
Ehhh... I would agree with the original game but Duodecim had a lot of story that was tied together really well. It wasn't the best story ever but I thought it was pretty cool.

I play (regularly) SF4, Skullgirls, and I play (ocasionally) Divekick, Tekken and Blazblue.

Dissidia feels great. Dodging has a good amount of iframes while still putting a decent amount of recovery time, flying and the mobility stuff works really well if you're not playing in a small arena (Phantom Train), and very few attacks feel that they don't quite work properly.
Nice points dude

The games are really mediocre.
How would you improve them? What is it that makes them mediocre.

The story in the original Dissidia games was trash because Toriyama.
What parts did you dislike?
Really curious because I enjoyed Duodecim for the most part.

Although the story is the last thing you should care about in a fighting game, it made characters like Golbez or Matues more stand out more than they did in their respective games.

Squire

Banned
Just because he's Toriyama, doesn't mean he deserves the lion's share of the blame. haha

Is there any type of work where the supervisor does not recieve the lions share of the blame when things go wrong?

His job description would literally be to make sure Higgs go right, haha.

So is this a ByKing game or not? We don't know yet?

I don't think we'll have much information until April 10th actually (do gaming magazines in Japan tend to talk about arcade games frequently?).

It's going to be a long wait with very little footage to rewatch >.>

Oh man! I have been missing dissidia so much lately.

This just looks so amazing! 3v3 <3

Glad to see Onion Knight is back! Heres hoping all the characters come back, that FF 14 rep looks great also. And since its a reboot, I would like some characters have a chance.....yeah Aerith has no chance does she? ='(

Where was it confirmed that this game is coming to consoles?

Is there any type of work where the supervisor does not recieve the lions share of the blame when things go wrong?

I'm sure there are plenty and maybe he deserves blame for not putting Watanabe on a chain, but the point is that the story was not written by him and even for the more Lightning focused sequel he was just given "Special Thanks" if the wikis are to be believed.

Amir0x

Banned

I mean I certainly respect that it's fine to come to a different view on it than me, but as a guy who is really particular about fighting games, it was like as bottom as bottom tier goes. It's just ridiculously unbalanced, even slight character tweaking can throw the entire thing out of balance worse than it already is by default, the actual fighting functionality is varied but not very precise at all.

It's basically to me seems like a fighting game that happened to also have action RPG elements, but it did neither its fighting elements or its action RPG elements any particular favors. Just like a really mediocre expression of all its elements.

As a guy who likes to count frames in his fighting games, the level of looseness and wonkiness with its combat system really put me off and didn't feel like a good application of ones skills versus any number of zillion other clearly superior fighting games. Which is not to say it doesn't fill a niche, but since I don't really have a dying desire for Final Fantasy fanservice and I do on the other hand consider the fighting game genre one of my favorites, I am extra critical of its gameplay failings.

But it's not that I don't think the potential for a FF fighting game isn't there. That's why I remain cautiously interested in this reboot, since it's a chance for starting on actual competitive grounds. I'm hoping we get a fighting game actually worthy of the competitive circuit.

Top Bottom