• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Distance = Wipeout + San Francisco Rush + Tron. ...and CliffyB (KICKSTART IT PLS)

SparkTR

But what about the indie section of the Xbox 360? No rating needed, no approval from Microsoft. I guess it would be more expensive to work with consoles too.

Don't quote me on it, but I've got the impression getting into XBLIG often isn't worth the time/money investment due to low traffic.

epmode

Doesnt look like Fzero at all sadly (thats what I really want right now) but looks really cool nontheless. Looking at this project with curiosity.

Yeah, it's not really F-Zero or Wipeout. It's a lot closer to a fusion of San Francisco Rush and Trackmania.

Why are kickstarter games never released on console? :/

PC is an open platform so it doesn't cost a thing to release a new game. It costs a lot for console certification, not to mention the other restrictions that are put in place to keep no-name developers from releasing on XBLA or PSN. And no one even looks at the XBLIG since Microsoft buried it so well.

Also, digital download services are a lot easier to work with on PC versus consoles. For example: Once a game is approved on Steam, Valve supplies infinite free keys to the developer. This means everyone who pitched in to a Kickstarter can easily get a key for no extra cost. This isn't very common for consoles.

And no one even looks at the XBLIG since Microsoft buried it so well.

Wat? Zombies in it is an XBL indie game that had over 300,000 sold units in 2010; probably around half a million now. If a game is good then it'll sell well on XBL Indie marketplace. Especially if the value is good. There are tons and tons of avatar-games and minecraft-themed games on the indie marketplace that sell loads and loads of copies.

epmode

Wat? Zombies in it is an XBL indie game that had over 300,000 sold units in 2010; probably around half a million now. If a game is good then it'll sell well on XBL Indie marketplace. Especially if the value is good. There are tons and tons of avatar-games and minecraft-themed games on the indie marketplace that sell loads and loads of copies.

Shrug. XBLIG gets further and further away from the main XBL pages as time goes by. While there are a few success stories, you can't deny that the visibility is awful.

Anyway, the Distance developers said that they would look into a console release if this gets funded.

Shrug. XBLIG gets further and further away from the main XBL pages as time goes by. While there are a few success stories, you can't deny that the visibility is awful.

Anyway, the Distance developers said that they would look into a console release if this gets funded.

Personally I barely ever buy anything from neither XBLA nor the indie marketplace, but I think if a game has trailers and a dedicated developer who spreads the word of their game, it could sell well. And of course if the value is good. But yeah, Microsoft are trying to hide the indie marketplace. Not quite sure why, I think MS get 30% of all the profits of indie games.

Oh, they did? I might be interested in it if it did get released on console; no matter which one it is.

deejay

Driveable rectangles... wow, that's amazing...
Might have been interested if there were proper vehicles in it.

Gowans

reminds me of a new POD

1206101-pod009.jpg

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, I had totally forgotten about this. Its future looks grim, sadly, but I should do my part and back them with 15 bucks.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Wait, is this that open-world Kickstarter racer I saw a thread about recently? Looks fun, but I'm not sure I see an open world here.

epmode

The real question is why smart phones aren't driving in more games!

Someone just pledged $10,000!

FULL TILT ARCADE MACHINE: We'll build you a one-of-a-kind arcade cabinet for the game! This cabinet will be specially built to handle the unique controls for the game (see image near the bottom of the page)! Your name will also be featured the most prominently in the game and you get everything at the $500 tier.

Shaneus

Just jumped in, only just played Nitronic Rush now and really, really enjoyed it. Probably closest to Rollcage (moreso than Wipeout) IMO, but that's not a bad thing in the slightest.

Skyzard

Banned
Just watched the gameplay video, exactly what I wanted. Will find some change somewhere!

The guy getting an arcade machine of it is super lucky, would be great in a store.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
The funding flatlined for a few days but it's picking up steam. http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1857884659/distance-a-next-generation-arcade-racer/

It has a legitimate chance now.

So they received almost $17,000 today, higher than even their first day pledge of $14,000 but today is the last day of the weekend. Will pledges keep up through the weekdays? They're only 78% funded. This may be the first game I donate to if in the next few days (only 4 left!) if they don't get enough pledges.

I played Nitronic Rush for the first time just now for an hour. It's pretty fun. The freedom of movement is nice. I breezed through the story mode, I want to say it's too easy but I haven't played the hardcore levels or community levels. It reminds me of a dreamcast game I played once at a friends house. I forgot what it was called but what I played was like NRs stunt mode, can't remember if the cars had wings.

The HUD on the car is a cool concept, put all information on the character for a clear view of the map. It's an interesting idea but the execution isn't great. So you're gonna put the HUD on basically a flat surface? With that camera angle? It's readable even in a small youtube window but it could be done better. If they were planning this type of HUD from the beginning they should have designed the car with a readable window angle in mind. Convert the brake light bar into the boost meter, freeing up space on the glass. Remove the future-design in the top left corner, put the speedometer there. This makes room for the lap time to stretch across the entire window on the bottom. This will help but the very nature of the game is also working against it. If you're constantly flipping and flying all over it will be difficult to pinpoint info during a frantic race. A traditional road-only racer would be the best game for this HUD concept.

I had a similar idea for a car modification a few years ago. Basically the brake lights and the area between them would be turned into a computer screen. You'd have the computer in the center console and you could display messages to the driver behind you. A smiley face, angry face, U-turn, fuck you etc. It would be cool if they added this to their game. You could preset messages to the d-pad or if they went the extra mile they could make an LED animation program so you could create your own animations/animated messages. If you're racing online and you pass the racer in first place you can program the car to display a :p emoticon.

Jonnyram

I honestly thought this was home and dry so I hadn't backed it yet.
Put in my support now. Hope it will help them go the distance!

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This is the very first game I've ever backed. I'm really hoping they have a stunt mod, like in Rush 2. Game looks great, and I hope they make it.

Looks very average, sorry :/
If you think this looks average, I don't think I even want to know what it takes for a racing game to look interesting to you...

This is the very first game I've ever backed. I'm really hoping they have a stunt mod, like in Rush 2. Game looks great, and I hope they make it.
Nitronic Rush has a stunt mode, so it seems likely this one will have one too. (Play Nitronic Rush!)

Top Bottom