• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Distance - an open-world futuristic arcade racer from creators of Nitronic Rush

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Gameplay

They can't monetize Nitronic Rush because it's owned by Digipen, so...

Distance is a PC/Mac survival racing game that combines the intense action of arcade racing with the exploration of an atmospheric world. You control a unique car that allows you to boost, jump, rotate, and even fly through a chaotic and twisted city. The world has a mysterious history, and as you explore you'll be able to uncover pieces of its past.

e78807abebabf813e6f5ceecb6108723_large.png

3c169fff36747721581b66d1b5ff6edf_large.png

On top of the many features and modes in the original game, such as the parkour-inspired Hardcore mode, nail-biting Challenge mode, and heart-pounding Stunt mode, we're now including many fan-requested features that weren't possible before:

Multiplayer: LAN and Online play in several modes, such as Classic Race mode as well as Tag, Capture The Flag, Stunt mode, and many others. We're targeting to support as many players as is fun for each game mode!

Level editor and modding tools: We're developing a powerful, user-friendly level editor where you can create levels from inside the game and share them with players around the world. We'll also be releasing other tools used to create content in the game in an effort to best support modders.

Exploration: Since the car can jump, rotate, and fly, you're able to explore the city to find hidden paths, as well as find secrets that reveal the city's past. Fans loved this aspect of Nitronic Rush and really want to develop a deeper city with a backstory of its own.

Updated visuals and atmosphere: The game is now being developed in Unity (as compared to creating Nitronic Rush entirely from scratch). This allows us to mature a lot of visual elements, and really go for a detailed look that supports the atmospheric world we’re building.

New dynamic soundtrack: Jordan (aka TORCHT) is back composing a new electro/ambient dynamic soundtrack. Expanding upon his experience from composing the dynamic music in Nitronic Rush (as well as in Solace and Solstice), he's really excited to create a new sophisticated soundscape.

Controller support: Similar to Nitronic Rush we'll be supporting Xbox 360™ controllers and the keyboard, but we'll also be doing our best to support as many controllers as possible, such as steering wheels and various gamepads, alongside re-mappable key configurations.

PC and Mac: Distance will be released for Windows & Mac (with possible Linux support once Unity4 is released).

Kickstarter
Trailer
Download and enjoy Nitronic Rush

update 1:

the first update and new screens

Cade

After playing through Nitronic Rush a ton, I'm happy to see this. Hope they get their funding, looks like it could be great.

subversus

True. I'm used to using unity for free but they'd have to pay obviously plus the new soundtrack probably costs a lot.
Salaries will cost much more than software. Let's say that they will receive 1500$ per month which may be a survival type of salary for NA/CA (I don't know if it is really, so if somebody confirm it I'd appreciate it). The team will consist of 10 people for example (they made Rush with 8 in the core team). 10 months from now if it gets funded equals 150 000$ WITHOUT software licenses.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, when I get home I'm totally backing this! I don't really like them giving an exclusive car to people who pay $50 or more, but I'll take it like a pre-order bonus.

New dynamic soundtrack: Jordan (aka TORCHT) is back composing a new electro/ambient dynamic soundtrack. Expanding upon his experience from composing the dynamic music in Nitronic Rush (as well as in Solace and Solstice), he's really excited to create a new sophisticated soundscape.
This made my day. I love Nitronic Rush's soundtrack.

I've never backed a Kickstarter project before, do they charge you as soon as you back it? And what happens if the game doesn't get made, you lose your money?

subversus

I've never backed a Kickstarter project before, do they charge you as soon as you back it? And what happens if the game doesn't get made, you lose your money?

you are charged only when it ends and if kickstarter is successful. You lose your money if they fail, but they can refund your purchase if they choose to or people can just sue them, Kickstarter TOS make it possible.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
you are charged only when it ends and if kickstarter is successful. You lose your money if they fail, but they can refund your purchase if they choose to or people can just sue them, Kickstarter TOS make it possible.
Thanks, I hope they can make it. Nitronic Rush is amazing, and having its mechanics applied to a much bigger and ambitious game will be pure awesome.

That shirt looks sexy, but it's too expensive for me. Think I'm going with the bottom tier, I don't have a lot of money to spare.

How long before they get a C&D letter from Disney saying it is too similar looking to Tron? Although it also reminds me of the forerunner structures in Halo. I'm still backing this.

RAWi

Add Daft Punk dudes to this, and epic it will be.

jett

D-Member
I just played Nitronic Rush for the first time, I always kept forgetting to download it. I thought it was awesome...then the hardcore levels opened up and now it's FUCKING AWESOME. This game must happen. Kickstarter was made for these kind of projects. I hope they streamline and tighten up the rolling physics a bit in Distance, I'd say you have a bit too much freedom in NR. At least I can't pull off the wall/roof jumping consistently.

subversus

This is not going strong. I guess demo or more gameplay in the video could help.

The developers are not present in the comments section, not wise at all.

This is not going strong. I guess demo or more gameplay in the video could help.

Am I missing something? How is making almost 1/5th of your huge goal within 24 hours "not going strong?" It still has 30 days and a lot of kickstarters do well in the end.

479 backers on day 1 is definitely going strong.

It's just not some ludicrous multi-million dollar project.

Love, love love the idea of having the racing stats displayed on the rear of the vehicle. It wouldn't make sense for a sim racer, or anything more traditional, but here? Perfect :)

Nitronic Rush was one of 2011's best games. I've backed this one! And more people need to -- this is the kind of project that should succeed.

hauton

curious to hear people's thoughts on Nitronic Rush

never tried it, I just looked at it and it seems quite fun

alazz

Video is taking its sweet time for me, but this should be an amazing game. Competitive, open-world Nitronic Rush? Sweet jesus, could it be F-Zero meets Burnout?

Nitronic Rush and its ost are great and free. Anyone who hasn't gotten them should check them out.

An open world futuristic racing game sounds pretty sweet, but I'm tapped out on Kickstarter funding for the moment. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe donate some when it gets closer to the deadline, it's very intriguing.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap! How come no one is talking about this? NR is a sick game!

subversus

Bumping this again. They are only at 36% now with only two weeks to go.

Added gameplay video to OP.

epmode

Holy crap! How come no one is talking about this?

Maybe the thread title needs to play up the San Francisco Rush thing? It's very similar! Except more awesome, because future.

FUND IT, GAF.
A NEW F-ZERO IS GUARANTEED IF THIS SUCCEEDS

Top Bottom