• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Clydefrog

I'm now over 50 hours into this game on Steam. I backed it day one because I absolutely love the crazy Belgians at Larian, Divine Divinity, Divinity: II, and Kirill's music (RIP :( ). I'm LTTP because of various reasons ranging from life, game backlog and damned imp tricks! I, gladly, beat Wasteland 2 right before starting a real run in D:OS. Pillars is next, assuming I don't immediately try a replay of D:OS.

I'm obviously enjoying the game but I have a few pet peeves.

1) Leftover "friendly fire" after a battle ends that causes my companions to leave me forever. I will win a 15 minute battle, which culminates in enemy(ies) dying in a pool of exploded poison. My companion gets a tinge of poison on her from a party member's attack 5 rounds ago and says "you're going to hit me? fuck you, i'm going home" in a more polite manner. I yell, "I DIDN'T TOUCH YOU!! DON'T HATE ME OMG FINE"

I rage, kill the other companion, and leave the computer for a bit.

2) Crafting/Blacksmithing/Tenebrium/etc. I like the "oh shit" moment of "why did I invest in regular weapons vs tenebrium" but the whole system of enhancing weapons/armor/etc feels off. And poorly executed. That asshole Brandon in Silverglen? I didn't even want to solve his quest, but I had to because I wanted the Tenebrium point. Argh, you win again Larian!

3) ... I can't think of anything else. Oh! In battle, when I try to click on an enemy and he/she breathes, moving the animation. I spend 5 action points walking up to the enemy when I was trying to cast a spell/use an arrow. The enemy turns into a smug pug and brings me to 65 HP. I have since learned to hold CTRL and use the enemy icons on the top of the screen, but that doesn't work for AoE spells.... which doesn't even relate to this issue. sorry.

4) The journal system is great. Feels like Divine Divinity all over again.

5) This list has now transgressed into points of praise. The game map is huge and full of surprise. I was hoping to revisit a familiar town/city from Divine Divinity, but I know... at least I haven't run into Verdistis sewers yet (god, I hated that part)

I'm now over 50 hours into this game on Steam. I backed it day one because I absolutely love the crazy Belgians at Larian, Divine Divinity, Divinity: II, and Kirill's music (RIP :( ). I'm LTTP because of various reasons ranging from life, game backlog and damned imp tricks! I, gladly, beat Wasteland 2 right before starting a real run in D:OS. Pillars is next, assuming I don't immediately try a replay of D:OS.

1) Leftover "friendly fire" after a battle ends that causes my companions to leave me forever. I will win a 15 minute battle, which culminates in enemy(ies) dying in a pool of exploded poison. My companion gets a tinge of poison on her from a party member's attack 5 rounds ago and says "you're going to hit me? fuck you, i'm going home" in a more polite manner. I yell, "I DIDN'T TOUCH YOU!! DON'T HATE ME OMG FINE"

2) Crafting/Blacksmithing/Tenebrium/etc. I like the "oh shit" moment of "why did I invest in regular weapons vs tenebrium" but the whole system of enhancing weapons/armor/etc feels off. And poorly executed. That asshole Brandon in Silverglen? I didn't even want to solve his quest, but I had to because I wanted the Tenebrium point. Argh, you win again Larian!

3) ... I can't think of anything else. Oh! In battle, when I try to click on an enemy and he/she breathes, moving the animation. I spend 5 action points walking up to the enemy when I was trying to cast a spell/use an arrow. The enemy turns into a smug pug and brings me to 65 HP. I have since learned to hold CTRL and use the enemy icons on the top of the screen, but that doesn't work for AoE spells.... which doesn't even relate to this issue. sorry.

5) This list has now transgressed into points of praise. The game map is huge and full of surprise. I was hoping to revisit a familiar town/city from Divine Divinity, but I know... at least I haven't run into Verdistis sewers yet (god, I hated that part)

It would probably be better for you to wait for the enhanced edition.

Wildesy

This drove me absolutely nuts.

Stevey

So did anyone make any custom campaigns with the editor?It looked pretty sweet, but I suck at stuff like that, so never tried it.

Clydefrog

BEAT THE GAME :D

I wish the farmlands music from DD had more playtime

KDgmLFv.jpg

edit: my favorite song from the game (48m9s if the link doesn't work): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18i_g9knULM#

it shows up mostly in End of Time.

The credits say it is from Divinity II: Ego Draconis but I don't remember it in that game. I love it nonetheless.

So after hearing all the praise about this game, i was going to give it a shot but...

Do you guys think my lowly 5 year old rig can run this decently?

I5-750

8 Gb Ram

ATI 5850 (1Gb)

25mins demo of the game on PS4 from Gamescom that shows a large amount of the new features as well as an example boss fight to show the kind of stuff you can expect to be changed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccTH0mhJ8e0

Interesting part for me, aside from obviously all the new stuff(skills, boss fights, quests) is that they're adding a harder difficulty(and easier too for people who thought it was too hard before, it mostly removes CC from the enemies so you don't get perma CCed and owned if you step in a bad place).

Noaloha

You think the extra hard difficulty will be approachable from a normal 'rounded' build (played well, or at least stubbornly), or is it going to be that brand of triple-x difficulty which exists only to counter everything except specific builds devised by min/maxers?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
With the update to the Enhanced Edition looming, should I make a new OT or just update this one?

I think a new thread for the console players is probably a good idea. Then they don't run the risk of spoiling things for themselves.

Noaloha

Curious to see how the PC's EE handles the mod engine as I haven't seen it mentioned much. I wonder to what extent I'd be able to just lift my vanilla D:OS thing and drop it into the new one.

bounchfx

Oh no! I'm sorry.

I posted that image weeks and weeks ago; it was the 'new project announcement that turned out to be D:OS 2.

ahh shit. I just saw the date. HOWEVER, he does talk about getting the enhanced edition out in his latest tweets. Hype still rising.

So if I buy this game on steam I can upgrade to the Enhanced edition for free

I know there is only a week left but I fell in love with this game already

lt519

Grabbed this today on Black Friday sale for $40 for PS4. There is a lot going on with the builds, a bit overwhelming to be honest, and it seems you can really screw yourself by trying to have every character be a jack of all trades. I'm going to try and go Tank, Support Mage, Offensive Mage, and Rogue. I think I already screwed up a couple point allocations and I'm not sure how you are supposed to put anything past level 1. It doesn't seem to give me the option this early on.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I got this today. VERY excited about it.
I've basically been replaying the old gold box games over and over for 20+ years, and I finally said "fuck it" and decided it was time to try one of the new kids.

They never added save profiles right?
I'd like to play one game with my wife and a completely different one alone without ANY risk one of the games fucking up the other.

Grabbed this today on Black Friday sale for $40 for PS4. There is a lot going on with the builds, a bit overwhelming to be honest, and it seems you can really screw yourself by trying to have every character be a jack of all trades. I'm going to try and go Tank, Support Mage, Offensive Mage, and Rogue. I think I already screwed up a couple point allocations and I'm not sure how you are supposed to put anything past level 1. It doesn't seem to give me the option this early on.

I think I read (I was studying lol) nsomething about how you have to save up your ability points because they cost more the higher the level.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
I got this today. VERY excited about it.
I've basically been replaying the old gold box games over and over for 20+ years, and I finally said "fuck it" and decided it was time to try one of the new kids.

They never added save profiles right?
I'd like to play one game with my wife and a completely different one alone without ANY risk one of the games fucking up the other.

I think I read (I was studying lol) nsomething about how you have to save up your ability points because they cost more the higher the level.

We have a new thread for the EE! ^_^

Yes, leveling up to level 2 will require 2 points, level 3 = 3 points, etc.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
So the EE was on sale today on PSN. Unfamiliar with the game, and it looked generic at first glance... but my attitude completely changed when I realized it was turn-based combat. So far game is awesome. Though I have a couple gripes... you can't really zoom in to see your characters and equipment in the menus. And in gameplay, while I understand the game is designed as isometric, they let you zoom the camera in pretty close, but the final angle is shit. If they rotated that angle up a bit, you could easily play that way. Everything looks fine close-up, but the angle is such shit that zooming has little utility. This kinda unintuitive thing happens where you have to pull the camera back to get a look at something when my instinct / muscle memory is saying the opposite.

During character creation, why doesn't the game auto-generate a portrait? It's not like this is some extremely deep CC. The choice is actually quite limited, yet my portrait only vaguely resemble my created characters. Just a really weird way to handle that.

How is the PS4 port? Is it feature-complete, runs at nice resolution and with steady framerate?

I already have it on Steam, only want to double dip if it is a solid port.

ParityBit

I really want to pick up this game but I am unsure which platform.

Is there a big difference between the 3? (PC/XBO/PS4)? I am leaning towards a console but that is not set in stone. Just easier to play on my TV with the wife and kid rather than stuck in my office sometimes.

Is your account usable on 2 versions (same character)? I could double dip also.

Noaloha

How is the PS4 port? Is it feature-complete, runs at nice resolution and with steady framerate?

I already have it on Steam, only want to double dip if it is a solid port.
The port is pretty much flawless I believe. The only difference I'm aware of to the PC version is that the consoles only provide support for the gamepad UI and systems, whereas on PC you can toggle between them (prior to loading into the game).
I really want to pick up this game but I am unsure which platform.

Is there a big difference between the 3? (PC/XBO/PS4)? I am leaning towards a console but that is not set in stone. Just easier to play on my TV with the wife and kid rather than stuck in my office sometimes.

Is your account usable on 2 versions (same character)? I could double dip also.
Don't fret over the platform, unless you have some reason to prefer a PC set-up. The game plays perfectly well on gamepad (arguably better than the M&K implementation in some respects). There's no cross-save between console and PC if that's what your asking.

You mention 'account' though, so just a quick clarification (just to make sure you're on the right page) ---- you don't log in to D:OS with, like, a character tied to an account or anything; you don't level up an avatar and take them online or from your game into someone else's game or any of that stuff. The structure is very simple - you load a save game and you play it; everything is local to and walled within that save game. I mention this mainly because there're common misconceptions that this game plays like a Diablo, or via some persistant drop-in, drop-out online architecture. That's not the case.

Noaloha

Thanks a ton! That did answer my questions. So if I get in on the console I can pause at will right? I have to do that with the little one running around and wife aggro and such.

I forget exactly how the game handles pausing during co-op, but the game itself is very walk-away friendly as the world is static by and large; there aren't really instances of far-roaming enemies. Typically all the baddies are hand-placed within a small patch and they either stand there waiting for you or they wander around a bit within their own little circle. Plus should you ever get agroed when you're afk, all that'll happen is you trigger turn-based combat (so, essentially, the game goes into stand-by outside of a round of any higher-initiative-than-you enemies) and you can attempt a flee once you return if you're not into taking on the encounter.

Kaz42

Where do I find some more spells that summon things like the spider? Also do most of them fall under the geomancer skill? I think I screwed up putting points into witchcraft when I should have put them in geomancer :(

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Witchcraft gets two summons later on but Geomancer gets more overall.

Kaz42

Hmm, interesting then. From what I see in the novice level skills it seems as though that a witchcraft build is more of a supportive role and a geomancer is more offensive oriented. Can you make a character who utilizes both and still be effective? Or should I focus on one?

Labadal

Hmm, interesting then. From what I see in the novice level skills it seems as though that a witchcraft build is more of a supportive role and a geomancer is more offensive oriented. Can you make a character who utilizes both and still be effective? Or should I focus on one?
I used a witchcrafting geomancer.

vocab

You usually want two schools. One school is really lackluster, and has the potential of being really weak in some areas of the game.

Kaz42

Alrighty, thanks for the help. I guess I'll just alternate upgrades between witchcraft and geomancer. I'm really liking this game so far. I'm still in the beginning areas but it's been really interesting. I'm also enjoying the humor in this game like the scene with the chicken and the chef.

Donos

This PS4 port is really great (take note Wasteland 2 devs). Just finished a fight near Cyseal in a Lava/Fire area with a Totem which kept resurrecting 3 enemies. Tough fight but i loved it.Also got some nice loot. Great game and really interesting how enviroment can completely tip the tide in fights.

This PS4 port is really great (take note Wasteland 2 devs). Just finished a fight near Cyseal in a Lava/Fire area with a Totem which kept resurrecting 3 enemies. Tough fight but i loved it.Also got some nice loot. Great game and really interesting how enviroment can completely tip the tide in fights.

On PS4 Divinity has only crashed for me in one spot in all the hours I've played. Wasteland 2 crashed about every hour of play after a certain point. Divinity is definitely well done.

Donos

On PS4 Divinity has only crashed for me in one spot in all the hours I've played. Wasteland 2 crashed about every hour of play after a certain point. Divinity is definitely well done.

Stopped and sold Wasteland 2 when i did exit Prison into a canyon. Because of the camera reacting to the canyon the game got very choppy and zoomed out/in while turning the cam. (not the sole reason i sold it).

Labadal

Damn, didn't know about that.

I managed to win that battle though it left me with only one character for a while. I'm getting use to the game now, it seems to be quite entertaining.
When the game (the original) Original Sin released it was GOTY of that year.

I'm playing the enhanced edition and I feel like tactician mode is fair as long as you know what you're doing.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm stuck right now. i'm only a few hours into the game and still get used to it.

the journal tells me to inspect the corpse of the guy who died so i went to the mortician and he says the body has been buried. i went to the graveyard and started digging up and found a cave. the exit to the far left just takes me to a small area with a chest. there is another exit with stairs that takes me into a room with fire balls and a locked door. i got through there OK and ended up in an abandoned house. nothing of interest there as far as i could tell but i had to remove a painting to find a secret switch to let me out the building. the house is close to the mortuary.

i just have no idea what to do next. did i dig up the wrong mound in the graveyard? or am i just missing something from that house? i tried going back to talk to the mortician but he isn't saying anything.

Top Bottom