• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This medium would be so much more advanced if everything were F2P...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Baldur's Gate 3 is a huge commercial and critical success. Yet, it doesn't have a chance at having a respectable completion rate. (Divinity: Original Sin 2 only has a 11.5% completion rate)

Why? Because Larian Studios main operative is to extract $70 dollars from people before they play the game. Once they have you're money, they don't care how much time you spend with it. Beat it, drop it, they don't care. Baldur's Gate 3 is pure FOMO hype at this point. It's the talk of the town that everyone wants to be a part of, but in two weeks, the pink cloud of mist vapor that is currently circling everyone's head will dissipate and the crowd will move on to the next shiny object. Notice, all the people who say "Games should be shorter. Give me a solid 10 - 15 hours SP game. That's all we really want" are silent right now.

The completion rate for Baldur's Gate III is going to be pitiful because most players will grow bored of it before completing it.

Why do you guys put up with this? The incentive structure is not set up to benefit the player.

Can you imagine how much better Baldur's Gate 3 would be if Larian Studios primary objective was to get players to love PLAYING their game, rather than to love BUYING their game?

074c0d4d4c983fbfa034d6af25a430de.jpg

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
People wouldn’t buy the game if they didn’t love playing it. Everyone gets two hours on Steam to find out how good it is.
People buy lottery tickets because they like imagining what 200 million dollars could do to their life. They don't buy lotto tickets to acquire 200 million dollars.

You literally can't play Baldur's Gate 3 before forking over 70 bucks so how can you love it? You can love the idea of it. Marketing FOMO.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What do you mean by this?
I think it's a grift. To be selling a full priced game that will be heaved upon 90% of players backlogs like a cheap trinket.

The media tells us it's a 96 Metascore, GotY quality game, and the vast majority of it's players will get too bored by it to bother finishing it.

Remove you from your money before you get bored. That's the snake oil. There's something deeply toxic about this payment model and marketing blitz.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

I think a 90% failure rate, which Baldur's Gate 3 will likely have in a year or two, should result in a class action lawsuit. It's snake oil.
What? Far from it. People that love BG, LOVE BG. 3 has acquired a ton of new fans as well. I think plenty of people will love it and finish it. There will probably be plenty that don't finish it, but will still love it. If they enjoy their time with it, then it's money well spent. At least buying this game they know that they're getting a ton of content for their buck. If it's what they're into of course.

I'd much rather pay for a full price title full of content then play some F2P game clamoring for my dollar in various ways.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I think it's a grift. To be selling a full priced game that will be heaved upon 90% of players backlogs like a cheap trinket.

The media tells us it's a 96 Metascore, GotY quality game, and the vast majority of it's players will get too bored by it to bother finishing it.

Remove you from your money before you get bored. That's the snake oil.
That’s not what snake oil is.

Snake oil is a fake remedy that does not accomplish what is advertised, knowingly pitched by an individual who relies on deception to make money.

Baldur’s Gate 3 does exactly as advertised. There is no deception involved. It is not sold as a cure for boredom. It’s a fully featured game. It is a product sold in the traditional manner relying on an element of trust between the developer and consumer, a trust that so far, has not been broken.

The F2P business model makes sense for some games, but a single player story-centric CRPG? What would you even monetize?

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
What? Far from it. People that love BG, LOVE BG. 3 has acquired a ton of new fans as well. I think plenty of people will love it and finish it. There will probably be plenty that don't finish it, but will still love it. If they enjoy their time with it, then it's money well spent. At least buying this game they know that they're getting a ton of content for their buck. If it's what they're into of course.

I'd much rather pay for a full price title full of content then play some F2P game clamoring for my dollar in various ways.

If the current PAY BEFORE YOU PLAY model was outlawed, what would you change it to? What payment model incentivizes developers to get player to love PLAYING their games?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Just get it Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes , i know you're dying to play it.

alaskan-coastal-brown-bear-waving-alan-vernon.jpg

He's waiting

I WILL NOT GET IT! I WILL NOT!

Oh believe me, the last 24 hours I was allured by all the praise this game was getting. I had the pink vapor swirling around my head too. Then I saw this Tweet and it completely woke me up.

That's some Animal Crossing, Second Life bull****. Then I realized "Oh wait a second, I played 10 hours of DOS2 before quitting. Those 10 hours weren't even that fun." My backlog will not get bigger, no sir!

Last edited:

Fbh

A F2P version would be designed around grinding through repetitive content over and over for color coded loot or gacha waifus, like all F2P RPG's. Sounds like a terrible game.

As for the length, I haven't played BG3 so I can't speak about that game specifically but the reason I want most games to be shorter isn't because there's something intrinsically wrong with long games, but because 95% of long games don't have the quality and variety to justify their length. If I'm 60 hours into some RPG and they send me back to an earlier area to do what's basically a mandatory fetch quest while fighting a powered up color variant of the same enemies I fought 40 hours ago then yeah, my reaction will be "this should be shorter".
Meanwhile 60 hours into a game like Elden Ring I'm going to a new location I haven't seen before where I fight cool new enemies I haven't encountered before culminating in a cool new boss fight I haven't done before, so I don't mind the length.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Such a shit take good heavens.

Are you the same way with other entertainment? Cinema, concerts etc like?

I find it unbelievable how cheap most gamers are. They would rather play mind garbage for free than commit to something.

To suggest that BG3 should’ve been built around addictive loops that make you grind for bs and is always trying to trick you into overspending is some shit.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Such a shit take good heavens.

Are you the same way with other entertainment? Cinema, concerts etc like?

I find it unbelievable how cheap most gamers are. They would rather play mind garbage for free than commit to something.

Most media that I fail to finish is what I consider to be bad media, yes. If I walk out of a concert, it's because the band was trash.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Most media that I fail to finish is what I consider to be bad media, yes. If I walk out of a concert, it's because the band was trash.

But you paid the ticket. And in turn what you are entitled to is an attempt to entertain you, not that you are entitled to be entertained.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So by your logic based on this thread, all bands should make music that you like, else it’s snake oil.

What a narcissistic, self-centered take on the world.

No. Bands should play concerts that don't force 90% of ticket buyers to walk out of.

Last edited:

Fabieter

I WILL NOT GET IT! I WILL NOT!

Oh believe me, the last 24 hours I was allured by all the praise this game was getting. I had the pink vapor swirling around my head too. Then I saw this Tweet and it completely woke me up.

That's some Animal Crossing, Second Life bull****. Then I realized "Oh wait a second, I played 10 hours of DOS2 before quitting. Those 10 hours weren't even that fun." My backlog will not get bigger, no sir!

So you dont like DOS 2 either? Why do you hate Larian Studios so much?

Meicyn

Gold Member
No. Bands should play concerts that don't force 90% of ticket buyers to walk out.
We both know you’re just making shit up now because 90% of ticket buyers don’t walk out in the first place since they know exactly what they’re getting when buying the tickets. No one goes to a Taylor Swift concert and suddenly has buyer’s remorse expecting heavy metal music and all the associated theatrics.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Op's thinking is " If I can't afford it, nobody should!"

Sushi Combo, I'm fighting for you. You're not going to finish Baldur's Gate 3 (statistically speaking). Don't you want to enjoy games so much that you actually want to finish them?

Is this what Jesus felt like when he was carrying the cross through Jerusalem? You guys are throwing food at me, but I fight to make your games better.

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Can you imagine how much better Baldur's Gate 3 would be if Larian Studios primary objective was to get players to love PLAYING their game, rather than to love BUYING their game?
This is technically true - but F2P games (And all GaaS really) optimize for repeat engagement - ie. they're designed to be addictive, not completable or fun.

That said that does translate to general polish of the user experience being worse with paid for games, even though it perhaps sounds counter-intuitive.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I really do not understand the OP's thought process. It makes zero sense. Must be a zoomer thing.

It's really simple.

Would you rather pay for your check at the end of your meal, when you're certain you're satisfied?

or

Would you rather pay for your check before you take your first bite of food, no refunds?

Obviously, the former leads to a better dining experience but you people are so ingrained in your ways that you can't see the light.

Meicyn

Gold Member
It's really simple.

Would you rather pay for your check at the end of your meal, when you're certain you're satisfied?

or

Would you rather pay for your check before you take your first bite of food, no refunds?

Obviously, the former leads to a better dining experience but you people are so ingrained in your ways that you can't see the light.
Weird example to make, when you still have to pay at the end of the meal whether you liked the meal or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom