• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Divinity: Original Sin |OT| Sandbox RPG. Co-Op friendly. Bread.

Zakalwe

Banned
My characters aren't updating to show the faces I've selected, only my portraits update but my actual characters stay default.

Any idea how to fix this?

nvm: I thought the portrait you chose was the editor. Too excited to get in game, overlooking obvious things like this does not bode well for the actual gamaplay...

Gaz_RB

Awesome, thanks guys. Can't wait to play this with my dad, a coop turn based old school is like his dream come true. (And mine!)

That's crazy. Are NPCs totally unaware of anything while you're talking to them?

They do still have their line of sight, for example, so positioning them a certain way makes it all possible.

A nice "distraction" feel to it, really. Some true next-level pick-pocketing... very satisfying.

Corpekata

Banned
While I like the "distract and sneak" strategy I hope there's some checks and balances in play in the final build, as it's a bit OP.

UrAvgGuy

I think it depends on your sneakign skill and pickpocket skill. Pickpocket skill was 3, Sneaking was 2.

They do still have their line of sight, for example, so positioning them a certain way makes it all possible.

A nice "distraction" feel to it, really. Some true next-level pick-pocketing... very satisfying.

Ahh ok I forgot about the line of sight. The distraction technique sounds like a game changer.

zeox

No idea if these things are known or not, but I'll ask anyway. Is there going to be a rest system/ability in the game, or are you going to be reliant on having a character with heal/potions?
What about a housing system, or a place for you to keep your crafting stuff in one place instead of all over your inventory?

Zukuu

Banned
No idea if these things are known or not, but I'll ask anyway. Is there going to be a rest system/ability in the game, or are you going to be reliant on having a character with heal/potions?
What about a housing system, or a place for you to keep your crafting stuff in one place instead of all over your inventory?
You don't just have an own house, you have your own homestead.

Christ, that composition you're treated to while the game unpacks right now, so good, I need to find what the name is. I'm still holding off to play the full release but I've had it for a good while now, and it's been fun to have a small look in from time to time and see how things have progressed.

Noaloha

You can lie down to rest-heal HP. Click on a bed and you'll take the weight off your feet. Crafting food is also more than viable. I think food might be better than potions even. And yes there's a 'home' area but you can learn about that in-game, it's a plot-point.

You can sleep on a bed to regain health. It's not exactly a housing system but you do have a homestead that you can teleport to. You unlock more rooms as you find certain stones and you can send your items to one of these rooms so you don't have to carry everything around.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Well I mean along the lines of "face NPC into a corner and rob his house blind" sort of stuff being a little too easy.

Yea I guess it really depends on what kind of valuables are lying around in people's houses.

Hell I spent hours in Ultima 7 using my followers to rob people blind (gotta keep them virtues up on the Avatar himself) so it seems fitting here. :p

BrettWeir

I just bought a merchant empty for no cost by having my one character talk to him and buy all his stuff and then my second character at basically the same time pickpocketed all my money back.

GOTY?

This........................is awesome!!!!!!

Klyka

Banned
spoiler question regarding the homestead:
Did anyone else here immediately think "Holy shit this is straight out of Chrono Trigger" when you first beamed to the platform with the Imp on it???

Btw you eventually get two items that allow you to teleport to one of them if you use the other. So you can teleport to your chracters if they are holding them or drop one on the ground and then teleport to it. It's quite fun!

VandalD

spoiler question regarding the homestead:
Did anyone else here immediately think "Holy shit this is straight out of Chrono Trigger" when you first beamed to the platform with the Imp on it???

Btw you eventually get two items that allow you to teleport to one of them if you use the other. So you can teleport to your chracters if they are holding them or drop one on the ground and then teleport to it. It's quite fun!
I think they can
also be used in battle, too. Could open up some interesting possibilities..

Friendly reminder for the OP.

You might want to change the image at the top OP. You have the original artwork displayed. When it was first revealed there was a bit of outrage from the community as to how exposed the female lead was so they redid it.

As an aside I think it is pretty awesome and refreshing in this day an age that the main artwork for the game has the two main characters holding hands. Signs of affection are a pretty rare focal point for video game boxart. Here is the new image:

photo-main.jpg

Zakalwe

Banned
What's the catch then, there has to be something wrong with this game...

It can't possibly be this good, almost every game I've played in the last few years has disappointed me.

This might be one of the few that remind me why gaming is one of my favourite pastimes.

My cynicism is trying to ruin it for me, it's a good thing that every new area makes me love this game a little bit more.

What's the catch then, there has to be something wrong with this game...

It can't possibly be this good, almost every game I've played in the last few years has disappointed me.

This might be one of the few that remind me why gaming is one of my favourite pastimes.

My cynicism is trying to ruin it for me, it's a good thing that every new area makes me love this game a little bit more.

Well there's always the possibility that the unrevealed portion of the game is a rushed, ill-conceived, buggy jumble. Y'never know.

I wonder how divergent everyone's experiences will be. Things like not having a thief character could change the game immensely.

Hopefully DOS has been well-balanced and designed from the ground up for such different approaches. Judging from the tutorial dungeon, this has been the case.

Zakalwe

Banned
Well there's always the possibility that the unrevealed portion of the game is a rushed, ill-conceived, buggy jumble. Y'never know.

Oh, of course, the quality of what we have access to just surprised me a little. Went in pretty much blind and this is really refreshing.

GPS gaming has dulled my brain, little things like lifting up urns to hunt for keys and placing barrels over poison traps to block the fog are stumping me more then they should. It's absolutely brilliant.

I Kickstarted this game way back... whenever... because I was sold on their pitch video. Last night I finally booted up the Alpha/Beta and played through the tutorial dungeon into the first town. Holy crap, this game is amazing. Combat is awesome. Character customization and skills are incredibly deep. Not to mention the dialog system is top notch with having two main characters that you can role play different conversations with.

I ended up murdering the two drinks guards after the tutorial dungeon because I was RPing my cleric as a chaotic neutral
/good character. Meanwhile I had my fighter disagree and ended up going through the Rock/Paper/Scissors mini game to decide how they'd handle the situation.

My only quibble is that UI and text is pretty small on my 11" gaming laptop. But that's my fault, not the game's.

Other than that I'm stoked for the full release!

Klyka

Banned
I do have to say that it can be incredibly hard to click on the enemy to attack if your chracters are very close to them. Wish that was easier,I accidentally lost 4 action points because of a misclick. Also a "double click to accept" would be nice instead of a "one click does action" in combat.

Terra_Ex

I do have to say that it can be incredibly hard to click on the enemy to attack if your chracters are very close to them. Wish that was easier,I accidentally lost 4 action points because of a misclick. Also a "double click to accept" would be nice instead of a "one click does action" in combat.
In situations like that, use the tactical camera for a quick top-view of the action.

Google

OK guys, I've got this installed on my MacBook Pro Retina 15'' and I'm ready to give my all.

Is anyone else running on the Pro with the 750M GFX card? Can I get some suggestions of graphics settings? I feel like the game is lagging a little bit?

Anyway - I've got to run to a meeting, but I'll pour some time into this once I'm back - I'm excited as hell. This whole thing looks and sounds like the game I've wanted to play since Baldurs Gate 2 during the summer of 2001(?)

Eusis

I feel like buying this a week before release wasn't worth the 20% savings.

It's sitting there, in my Steam account... installed even. Waiting for me to play.

I can't do it though! Not with the inevitable character wipe coming. So I have to wait.

Damn you Steam sales.
We have games like Wasteland 2 and Dead Rising 3 that won't even be available for months. This isn't so bad in comparison.

Isn't the chain-link the same as a "follow me" button? Doesn't seem that revolutionary to me.

I thought Durante was going to be making this OT, huh.

Casimir and Durante should solve this perceived disagreement through a friendly game of rock, paper, scissors.

Zukuu

Banned
Hey, this game looks cool. Anyone knows if they intend to port it to consoles?

get out.
nothing I know of. maybe if it becomes a million seller? I don't think such a game would translate well to consoles anyway; would be too fiddly.

Hari Seldon

I played this back when they first released the kickstarter Alpha thing. The game even back then looked great, so I haven't played it since, waiting for the real release.

So for kickstarter backers, can we use the current Steam build save games or should I just wait for the 30th before starting? Hopefully they release the final steam keys before then.

Terra_Ex

Even in jest, it's still like a knife in my heart.

I played this back when they first released the kickstarter Alpha thing. The game even back then looked great, so I haven't played it since, waiting for the real release.

So for kickstarter backers, can we use the current Steam build save games or should I just wait for the 30th before starting? Hopefully they release the final steam keys before then.
All current saves will be wiped when the final version is released. Only play now if you want a quick taste before the game hits.

Zukuu

Banned

the info about save wipes should really be prominent in the OP. I feel this is being asked every page anew. Saves will be incompatible. So better wait for the 30th.

Adnor

Banned

All save files will be incompatible with the final release.
Someone in the Larian Forums said that the Steam Beta version you get with the kickstarter will stop working after the game is released so backers can decide they want the Steam or GOG version, but I don't know if that's true.

Respect

I know you're joking, but my crappy pc can run this just fine, guessing most of GAF could probably play this on the comp they are browsing the forum with.

Get it dudes, need to encourage development of these kinds of games...and don't forget PoE down the line soon :p

Top Bottom