• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DJ Hero? Any Hype?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
TheGreatDave said:
I think the price is the issue. Same for Beatles, actually.
Yeah but the burnt out hippies can use those Guitar Hero controllers that their brat kids already have.

Meier

The dmeo I saw on G4's coverage made this thing look difficult, convoluted and repetitive. Maybe it'll play better than the demo looked, but color me unexcited. To say the least.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Are there any other interesting vids from E3 on this? Most of what I'm seeing are rehashes of the same handful of things.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
XiaNaphryz said:
Are there any other interesting vids from E3 on this? Most of what I'm seeing are rehashes of the same handful of things.
Well I think the only way to see it was a private demo and they gave every outlet the same demo.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
bounchfx said:
tried it out, wayyy funner than I thought it would be. if anyone has questions, feel free.
What was the most frustrating thing about the controls, if any? Most difficult thing about the controls?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Meier said:
The dmeo I saw on G4's coverage made this thing look difficult, convoluted and repetitive. Maybe it'll play better than the demo looked, but color me unexcited. To say the least.

I used to DJ and still having a hard time understanding how this is not going to be totally difficult for most people, including me, lol. Real DJ-ing seems alot easier than this game. I will reserve judgement until it comes out. Seems everyone who had the same concerns came away loving at at E3.

bounchfx

sykoex said:
What was the most frustrating thing about the controls, if any? Most difficult thing about the controls?

while scratching sometimes I would lose my place with my fingers.
besides, that it's completely doable. just takes some eye training like any rhythm game at first.

that, and making sure the switcher was in the right spot, though that also comes with time.

parasight

neorej said:
Erm, the goal of Scratch is to recreate that urban, 80s feel of HipHop. You know, where DJing and rap was born. All they had during those parties was a turntable or two and a sampler. The controller is not looking slick, granted, but to me, the Scratch-controller looks more like a real DJ-kit than the DJ Hero-counterpart. I mean, how many vinyls do you own with buttons on them to control which track is being played?

I was referring to the gameplay mainly. It's like you're just pressing buttons along to the music, with a "scratch window" every few seconds. The gameplay in relation to the peripheral hardly replicates DJ'ing, IMO.

I played the US release of Beatmania quite a bit. Coming from that perspective, this looks pretty interesting to me. The first thing I notice is that the DJ Hero controller's turntable turns a lot easier than on the IIDX controller. I like that the gameplay isn't an exact clone of GH or IIDX or whatever.

The question of how much this relates to actual DJing... shouldn't even be a question at all. It's an arcade game. It's not a simulation. I didn't ask the question when I played IIDX, and I'm not going to ask it now.

Dragnet

I'm getting the same vibe from watching this that I did way back when I first saw Guitar Hero.

That's a very, very good thing :D

verne-thumb-640xauto-6013.jpg

Just thought I'd share.

Mik2121

As many others now, I had 0 hype until I saw the full song video. Now I think I'll buy it (I have only bought one Guitar Hero but didn't enjoy the song selection so I stopped playing).

Now let's see if the songs are good. I don't mind all the pop stuff because I think it fits nicely, I just hope they don't try to put many stupid songs that no way could fit on this, or are plain horrible :/

kylej

Banned
Which Shadow are we getting? The Shadow who made In/Flux or the dude who took hyphy seriously?

Looks fun I'm looking forward to it.

Devs need to get Osymyso to make the end boss track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpaMcWbug-8

edit

bdizzle said:
yuck at the artist selection. no rakim, krs, bdk? 80s hip-hop was when dj-ing/scratching was at its highest. im still interested but idk......

Bomb Squad material would be amazing. Since they got Beck in this game they should have him talk to his Odelay buddies the Dust Brothers. Get some Paul's Boutique in this.

Nakazato

This game is now on my radar. I need to listen to some more of the song 1st before i decide to drop 120 dollars on this game.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Nakazato said:
This game is now on my radar. I need to listen to some more of the song 1st before i decide to drop 120 dollars on this game.
Is it really gonna be that expensive? I can't imagine this game having a pricepoint that much higher than the Guitar Hero games, right?

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
whytemyke said:
Is it really gonna be that expensive? I can't imagine this game having a pricepoint that much higher than the Guitar Hero games, right?
The technology looks more advanced than the Guitar Hero guitars.

kylej

Banned
gybo said:
YUP.
fair play to a company as HUGELY HUGE as Activision for letting a bunch of London kids, who are genuine "genre experts" (bleurgh... what a horrible expression...) make all the tunes, end of.
of course theyre gonna want to attach household DJ names, thats the marketing, but in its truest musical sense, all the bangers on this game are done by the kids that know what theyre talking about.

This game is going to blow minds. Watch out kids.

jax (old)

Banned
Can't say I care for RB or GH but when I saw the video for this I actually want to play it. Is it activision? I'm boycotting them though. /shrugs.

Go TIM SCHAEFFER + BRUTAL LEGENDS.

Jax said:
Can't say I care for RB or GH but when I saw the video for this I actually want to play it. Is it activision? I'm boycotting them though. /shrugs.

Go TIM SCHAEFFER BRUTAL LEGENDS.
Yeah. GRR, worthless protest!

I'll never unsee the face in the hardware now.

I'm surprised Activision hasn't shown off the Special Edition. They just did MW2:pE and GH5 Guitar Bundle, kind of wish they'd show the goods in this. I'm sitting on a 50% off Amazon coupon for it.

DrAndonuts said:
I'm surprised Activision hasn't shown off the Special Edition. They just did MW2:pE and GH5 Guitar Bundle, kind of wish they'd show the goods in this. I'm sitting on a 50% off Amazon coupon for it.

The special edition isn't that different. Apparently it just looks a little prettier, comes with a stand to put the hardware on (DJ'ing while standing is apparently cooler than putting it on your knee) and has some Jay Z/Eminem CD.

caligula13

Gold Member
I think i'll do the same thing i did with Guitar Hero. Wait till the fourth game comes out to buy it. Then i will have fun with it while everybody else is gonna be pissed with too many DJ Hero games.

kylej

Banned
there's also some new longer clips of previously released songs at the site

http://djhero.com/music/setlist/

Bowie/KRS mix is insane as is Rock the Bells. Can't believe this thread is so slow, I mean I like The Beatles but shit people this is way more exciting.

Oh yeah and Jurassic 5 in a mix.... Shadow contributing to the game..... Cut Chemist has to be involved in this somehow. I say he gets unveiled within a month.

Top Bottom