• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DLC of the Kingdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvel14

Banned
Calling all those past and present who called Tears of the Kingdom BOTW DLC

Post to:

1. confess if you wrote that on another thread and have now changed your mind (and why)

Or

2. Still think it Is And why

Then come back here

a. Once reviews come in if that changes your mind (why did they)

Or

b. after the game is released to either double down or renounce your blasphemy (with explanation of course)

and add to your response with an edit.

Let this be forevermore the virtual wall of the "GAF TOTK is BOTW DLCers".

For everyone else ... discuss when the review embargo will end or any pre release issue still outstanding (eg will there be time travel and full puzzle dungeons)

Amen

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

I don't think I've ever called it DLC in the larger form it ended up being, but it did quite literally start as a DLC3 before they decided they had too many ideas and went for a full game. Iirc someone official said this.

Bit of a shame they got this engine running on the Wii U for only one game, would have been a nice surprise parting gift, but even BoTW already sold a miniscule amount on Wii U compared to Switch.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Folks throw around this "DLC" nonsense far too often. In meme form, it translates to....

175.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Folks throw around this "DLC" nonsense far too often. It meme form, it translates to....

175.jpg

Sometimes, it is accurate. Like Forza Horizon 5 was basically a big expansion to Forza Horizon 4. Or how GoW Ragnarok was a bloated mess of an expansion to 2018. Or how RE3R was just a small expansion to RE2R... sold for full price.

Then you have games like Elden Ring, RE4R, and StarField who can't be argued to be DLC/Expansions to previous games in their respective franchises/series.

It is blatantly clear that Zelda is in the latter group.

Skifi28

Sometimes, it is accurate. Like Forza Horizon 5 was basically a big expansion to Forza Horizon 4. Or how GoW Ragnarok was a bloated mess of an expansion to 2018. Or how RE3R was just a small expansion to RE2R... sold for full price.

Then you have games like Elden Ring, RE4R, and StarField who can't be argued to be DLC/Expansions to previous games in their respective franchises/series.

Elden Ring is an expansion to Dark Souls 3. I would even dare say it's the Dark Souls of expansions.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Some of my favorite games are expansions or glorified expansions. Less effort on building technology, more effort on depth of systems and storytelling.

It’s unfortunate that they’re stuck on ancient, awful hardware, but the latest videos do show a lot of cool new stuff. Good enough for me.

Marvel14

Banned
No TOTK DLC-er has emerged so I will just start outing them.

Unfortunately many of them appear to have been banned. 😜 Coincidence? I think not...

Let's begin. I'll do one of these per day as a countdown to TOTK release date. 18 to go...

F Flabagast angelgs90 angelgs90 J JT_smjmt11
You're up...
LMAO what the fuck have they been doing the last 6 years ? This looks like an expansion pack. This is GoW Ragnarok all over again.

How depressing.

From the looks of it they didn't fix any problems people had with the first game so far.

Only added more features and padding.

The new abilities are fine and that but this doesn't seem like sequel level stuff. Smells like dlc. I'm going to assume there's a lot more yet to show. I thought the first 30 seconds was legit BOTW.

I don't play Fortnite kid, at least its updated in UE5, while your beloved Zelda BOTW clone looks like an expansion pack lol go spend $70 on waving a rock stick, be my guest

Nice DLC! Glad it only took 6 years to develop and will cost just $70!

Ehh Ill have fun with it but seems pretty breath of the wildy

Last edited:

Variahunter

Got it pre ordered for cheap, actually the approximate price of an expansion, 37€, so I'm cool with it.

But I really think it looks like an expansion. Reusing the world is its biggest flaw imo, in 6 years they developped BotW from scratch and now 6 years later we got the same fucking map ? With the same assets (+ new ones sure), same engine and all.

Like, it screams DLC or expansion for real.

And they didn't address any of BotW flaws :

- Weapon durability is still in and still crap, with no good system (like Elden Ring) to give a feeling of progression
- You most certainly obtain all the powers from the tutorial area, which again will hampers the feeling of progression
- Still not sure if traditionnal dungeons with puzzles designed around items are in, imo they would have showed them in the final trailer if those were present. One of the most awaited feature that was really missing in BotW
- Still no items
- Still no diverse moveset for weapons, every one-handed sword play the same, every spear play the same => really lame
- Still no submarine exploration (wtf...)
- Reused map => the most lamest thing they ever did for a main episode of Zelda. Majora's Mask was just reusing assets, and everybody was ok with it as long as it was an entirely new world, entirely new mechanics with masks and people agenda over 3 days. Items being mostly the same was a bit disappointing yes, but the masks greatly modified your move set and possibilities so it more than compensates.

Good points though :

- More interiors
- More diverse ennemies

To be honest, it feels to me like a Super Mario Galaxy 2, but with all the levels from Super Mario Galaxy 1 reused and slightly modified as a base, with a few new ones.

They said it started as a DLC for BotW, and it sure shows.

Soodanim

No TOTK DLC-er has emerged so I will just start outing them.

Unfortunately many of them appear to have been banned. 😜 Coincidence? I think not...

Let's begin. I'll do one of these per day as a countdown to TOTK release date. 18 to go...

F Flabagast angelgs90 angelgs90 J JT_smjmt11
You're up...
Unfortunately, at least half of those posts aren't nearly as empty as you led me to believe.

If people commented on a trailer that made them think the same world with some changes is more expansion than brand new, what's the major deal with that worthy of a thread? Is it that important that they repent for their sins? That makes you look like the nutter here, not the posts you quoted.

Marvel14

Banned
Unfortunately, at least half of those posts aren't nearly as empty as you led me to believe.

If people commented on a trailer that made them think the same world with some changes is more expansion than brand new, what's the major deal with that worthy of a thread? Is it that important that they repent for their sins? That makes you look like the nutter here, not the posts you quoted.
6 years of development for Nintendo's premier AAA hardcore IP deserved more respect and at least the benefit of the doubt.

Thought it would be nice to hold people accountable for their posts for once. We badly need it in this crazy polarised, often fact free, feelings are truth world. Feel free to duck out at any time...

Last edited:

Soodanim

6 years of development for Nintendo's premier AAA hardcore IP deserved more respect and at least the benefit of the doubt.

Thought it would be nice to hold people accountable for their posts for once. We badly need it in this crazy polarised, often fact free, feelings are truth world. Feel free to duck out at any time...
You're also free to duck out and ignore posts you don't like, an open thread is open for discussion. A thread doesn't give you free reign to post without responses that don't agree with you.

I find console fanboying to be childish, don't get me wrong, But hyperbole isn't a crime, and Nintendo doesn't need someone to CliffyB for them - especially when the evidence doesn't hold up. Show me some real receipts and not points that amount to "Same map, new powers", because that's largely true.

I agree with your penultimate sentence, but your motivation is you feeling like Nintendo deserve respect. They don't deserve any more or less respect for time invested, and benefit of the doubt is for when there isn't footage to go on. I would personally reserve judgement, but Nintendo did what they did and showed what they showed and people will have reactions.

I didn't use those words but I was worried about it and still am a little. The graphics are the exact same as Botw and they're reusing assets to an extreme degree which makes it feel like an expansion. Obviously it's a sequel I just wouldve liked to see more things that really make it stand out from BotW.

The recent trailer made me feel better than I had been after the Ayouma demonstration.

It's still my #1 most anticipated game for the rest of the year.

Some things I'm still concerned about: will the alterations to the map be significant?
Are there real dungeons or not?
Is Links combat moveset the same? Combat really could've used improvements but we havnt been shown any.
Are there enough new enemy types?

The things I'm concerned about now are actually the same as before the trailer.

Things I'm happy about: story/Ganondorf
changes to map/sky islands are possibly larger than I initially thought
Fuse ability is a perfect solution to the "durability problem"- should satisfy both camps of people (personally I didn't mind durability in botw)

Marvel14

Banned
You're also free to duck out and ignore posts you don't like, an open thread is open for discussion. A thread doesn't give you free reign to post without responses that don't agree with you.

I find console fanboying to be childish, don't get me wrong, But hyperbole isn't a crime, and Nintendo doesn't need someone to CliffyB for them - especially when the evidence doesn't hold up. Show me some real receipts and not points that amount to "Same map, new powers", because that's largely true.

I agree with your penultimate sentence, but your motivation is you feeling like Nintendo deserve respect. They don't deserve any more or less respect for time invested, and benefit of the doubt is for when there isn't footage to go on. I would personally reserve judgement, but Nintendo did what they did and showed what they showed and people will have reactions.
x men comfort GIF

Hold them accountable for what? They've got every right to their opinion as long as it's backed up with some solid reasoning. Prior to recent trailer Nintendo was doing a poor job showing off this game. You can't blame people for going by the information given BY NINTENDO.

Also- we still don't know if those 6 years will have been used in the way we all hope. Trailers are meant to make something look as good as possible. We'll all find out on May 12th.

Stupid thread

Puscifer

RE: 3 Remake is ridiculous, the fact that if you were skilled enough you could accidentally speed run the game in 2 hours is insanity

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
You want a reasoned response fine.

This thread is meant for a few cohorts:

1. Those who feared the worst but whose opinion is changing... I am genuinely interested in that journey.

2. Those who are legitimately criticising Nintendo for reusing assets like Variahunter Variahunter and arguing that this diminishes the game as it makes for potentially good debate.

3. And those with hot takes who just piss on something for the shits and giggles.

That's why my first selection is a mix and not just purely the hot take enthusiasts.

But when I talk about respect and benefit of the doubt I am definitely talking about that last cohort. Or anyone in the other two cohorts that reduced their argument to that lazy hot take soundbite.

I've done programming and it is laborious and a real labour of love. Creating something gives you a genuine, emotional attachment. To work years on it and have people shit on it with a hot take just to get a reaction is shitty...there's no two ways about it....

PS Gordon Ramsay recognises and praises effort and quality even if something is not to his taste so your gif is perfect.

Yum Yum Chefs Kiss GIF by Nick Jonas

Last edited:

Marvel14

Banned
Development is complete and it's very much BOTW again with new stuff

Looks like BotW with an additional 100hrs bloat.

Also, on the note of being basically the same as BOTW: Wow, I expected they would put more effort into making it feel more different, by what they shown it just looks like a very elaborate fan mod that added more abilities and "levels" on top of the existing map.

shit is a reskin…another wasted op.
17 days to go.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Dude, chill… enjoy the game when it comes out and come here to talk about what you like about it. That’s the best thing you can do.
Finger pointing and wall-of-shaming people won’t change their mind. And calling out banned users about this is really petty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom