• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DmC Devil May Cry shown live to the press, 30fps confirmed

Chamber

love on your sleeve
sn00zer said:
DmC is a single player game not a competitive one. 60fps may be a requirement for fighting games or competitive shooters, but its is not a requirement for single player games. In SP there is no frame counting to get the edge on your opponent (well maybe for a select few "elite" players). It doesn't matter. Its nice, but it doesn't matter.
That post wasn't serious was it?

Grinchy

Banned
_dementia said:
Bad example. Didn't that drop below 60 at times on console?
I didn't say it stayed at 60, but I'd rather a game stay around 60 than barely manage 30.

Do you really feel that DMC4 shouldn't be regarded for its good framerate?

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I feel so bad that Ninja Theory is from the same country I live in :( They're destroying a great franchise.

"The people who are sceptical secretly want to like it," Antoniades added

I secretly want to bone all of SNSD, but I'm very skeptical of that happening. Guess that's not really a secret anymore now that I said it.

I don't think people wanting to like a highly-praised and loved franchise is secretly kept to themselves. Thanks for the obvious standard PR statement.

Antoniades said his game will be "locked" at 30FPS, and that the reduction allows his team to add "stuff like the world changing" - the way levels can transform dramatically during gameplay.

Don't eat me alive.... but he make sense .

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
_dementia said:
Bad example. Didn't that drop below 60 at times on console?
Bad example?! Seriously? Have you played it? It holds 60 fps 99% of the time. There are a select few areas where the framerate can dip a touch when the screen becomes overly busy, but by and large, the game is 60 fps. Even crazier, it ran smoother on PS3 (the jungle slowed down a bit more on 360).

Grinchy said:
I didn't say it stayed at 60, but I'd rather a game stay around 60 than barely manage 30.

Do you really feel that DMC4 shouldn't be regarded for its good framerate?
DMC4 has a great framerate, but if the framerate was more solid in previous entries of the franchise, why not commend those instead?

Kayo-kun

BeautifulMemory said:
That's not what people are saying. 60fps is the prerequisite and foundation of DMC franchise.

I agree, but the depth of combat and the style is also fundamental aspects of the DMC series (except 2). None of these can be seen in DmC, that was my point. 60fps won't do anything to it when Ninja Theory don't have the DMC style down and the combat in their games has always been pathetic.

Korigama

The Praiseworthy said:

Pretty sure I don't remember the 360 version of Bayonetta having any problems with maintaining 60 FPS in spite of shifting environments during gameplay.

The Praiseworthy said:
It does, it just doesn't help that 1) he spewed too much bs already; 2) DMC has been a 60fos franchise; 3) he showed nothing yet to backup his claim

It is obvious they are taking the game to a different direction. More adventure and cinematic

"The people who are sceptical secretly want to like it," Antoniades added, "and our job is to prove it's Devil May Cry in essence."

th_2j0js5w.gif

Korigama said:
Pretty sure I don't remember the 360 version of Bayonetta having any problems with maintaining 60 FPS in spite of shifting environments.
I just finished Bayonetta last week on 360 and it had WAY more framerate dips than DMC4.

Kayo-kun said:
I agree, but the depth of combat and the style is also fundamental aspects of the DMC series (except 2). None of these can be seen in DmC, that was my point. 60fps won't do anything to it when Ninja Theory don't have the DMC style down and the combat in their games has always been pathetic.
Lol I got you. Well, at least in my case, having 60fps would show that NT has respect for the franchise

Chamber

love on your sleeve
BeautifulMemory said:
It is obvious they are taking the game to a different direction. More adventure and cinematic
Which in theory is actually great. But then, it's a Ninja Theory game so we're back to negativity.

Secretly want to like it huh? I've tried to be a defender of NT in the past (not this game of course) but I think he should secretly look for a new job.

sleepykyo

_dementia said:
DMC4 has a great framerate, but if the framerate was more solid in previous entries of the franchise, why not commend those instead?

Because last generation, games didn't have to be sort of HD/720p?

Seik

Banned
God I hate how this whole thing is getting worst and worst!

I mean, wow, what'll happen next?

''It'll feel like 60''

CRISIS AVOIDED!

"'The people who are sceptical secretly want to like it," Antoniades added'

Well, yes, obviously, of course they do. It's just you ghouls are making it hard to do so.

Korigama said:
Pretty sure I don't remember the 360 version of Bayonetta having any problems with maintaining 60 FPS in spite of shifting environments during gameplay.

Never toughed that the levels in DmC might have a way bigger shifter environments than Bayonetta?

Chamber said:
Which in theory is actually great. But then, it's a Ninja Theory game so we're back to negativity.
Damn you I'm trying to be positive here! All that would make the choice of NT as developer makes sense

I will say, if you guys are genuine in your reactions, I'm happy to see that many more now are showing frustration and disgust. Whereas before such reactions were so easily dismissed solely based on dante's re-re-re design

30 fps?

I mean it's not like 99.99% of games released today are at 30 fps...oh wait, they are.

Most people who played the Devil May Cry games didn't even realize it -was- 60 fps for fucks sake.

EDIT: Seriously though - I feel that what Ninja Theory needs to do is show us what they are achieving via environment interaction and scope by making it 30 fps. Obviously, like most games - making it at 30 allows you to do some interesting stuff visually, they need to show that.

Not show contained 'combat clips'

Chamber said:
It'd be great if it wouldn't be coming along with downgrades to the combat, a.k.a. the core of the series' appeal.

The Praiseworthy said:
Never toughed that the levels in DmC might have a way bigger shifter environments than Bayonetta?
That depends; has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

lowhighkang_LHK said:
30 fps?

I mean it's not like 99.99% of games released today are at 30 fps...oh wait, they are.

Most people who played the Devil May Cry games didn't even realize it -was- 60 fps for fucks sake.
Most games are not DMC and few are in DMCs league

As for your latter point...well now more people will know, especially since NT just specifically address the issue

Edit : lol I just saw your edit. And I agree. Which again makes me think we are getting an action/adventure game borrowing DMC's lore than a true DMC game. Again, then it makes sense why NT was chosen

alr1ghtstart said:
Ninja Theory 30fps =/= 30fps

It was more of the problem of input lag. Hopefully, they fixed this. And I think they have - with what him saying that with Capcom's help we have the game that feels like 60 fps - meaning the input lag is as minimal as possible.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
badcrumble said:
It'd be great if it wouldn't be coming along with downgrades to the combat, a.k.a. the core of the series' appeal.
Well yeah, that's the problem.

I've been longing for a DMC game that's more adventure focused like DMC1 was but I don't think Ninja Theory is the developer who can make that experience happen.

Korigama

The Praiseworthy said:

Their biting off of Inception doesn't look like anything more advanced than what was seen in Bayonetta.

andymcc

Banned
lowhighkang_LHK said:
30 fps?

EDIT: Seriously though - I feel that what Ninja Theory needs to do is show us what they are achieving via environment interaction and scope by making it 30 fps. Obviously, like most games - making it at 30 allows you to do some interesting stuff visually, they need to show that.

correct me if i'm wrong, as it has been a long time ago, but didn't you submit a 10/10 score review for DMC2 upon it's release to gamefaqs several years ago? or am i thinking of someone else?

Korigama said:
Their biting off of Inception doesn't look like anything more advanced than what was seen in Bayonetta.

Ehhh, Bayonetta was also pretty much a combat room simulator. Let's be honest here.

Look at Uncharted 2, and look at Bayonetta. One game the environment serves a purpose, and in the other, it doesn't.

I imagine what Ninja Theory hopes - is by making DmC a 30 fps game, much like Uncharted series is, they could implement better environment interaction, with larger environments, faster if no loading etc. etc.

Korigama said:

uh the Vigrid stages dip and tear like crazy. there are lots of little dips during combat too.

it's not like the only thing causing the framerate to be lower is the changing stage...there are a million other factors-- textures, geometry, number of enemies, lighting effects, other stuff.

Maybe those are all higher quality than Bayonetta.

Korigama

lowhighkang_LHK said:
Ehhh, Bayonetta was also pretty much a combat room simulator. Let's be honest here.

Look at Uncharted 2, and look at Bayonetta. One game the environment serves a purpose, and in the other, it doesn't.

I imagine what Ninja Theory hopes - is by making DmC a 30 fps game, much like Uncharted series is, they could implement better environment interaction, with larger environments, faster if no loading etc. etc.

Wasn't Enslaved their attempt at mimicking Uncharted?

Chamber said:
Well yeah, that's the problem.

I've been longing for a DMC game that's more adventure focused like DMC1 was but I don't think Ninja Theory is the developer who can make that experience happen.
I had thought for a while that I wanted DMC to keep its strong combat but take the campaign design in the direction of a more action-adventurey God of War-esque pacing (but heavier on the combat and lighter on the puzzles and platforming, of course). But then someone pointed out that the ideal Devil May Cry game would actually have you operating Devil Never Cry, getting to pick missions for cash/souls, and eventually being able to recruit Lady, Trish, Vergil, and Nero. Think of something kinda like Starcraft 2's mission selector. A more heavily mission-based campaign would actually make it possible to reuse stages without it feeling like 'backtracking' (you could have like five missions where different sets of monsters are attacking the city's coliseum, for example), add tons of length to the game, and also give a more rewarding feel of progression (if one mission feels too tough, you can go play some other ones to grind out some cash or unlock new characters/weapons/abilities, et cetera).

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
lowhighkang_LHK said:
It was more of the problem of input lag. Hopefully, they fixed this. And I think they have - with what him saying that with Capcom's help we have the game that feels like 60 fps - meaning the input lag is as minimal as possible.

It was the problem of their games chugging and tearing, which makes their already bad input lag even worse.

Enslaved had crazy input lag even when it was 30FPS and the second half of the game was at times a slideshow. I see no reason to have any faith in NT to solve either issue.

lowhighkang_LHK said:

Oh gosh, logic has creeped in.

lowhighkang_LHK said:

this comparison doesn't make sense. Bayonetta's environments are both more extravagant and utilized in more creative ways vs. Uncharted's straight up "realism" (aside from the regenerating bro armor and his ability to launch himself from a fingertip-dangling position.) Every stage is alternating platforming of some sort with combat. It never feels boxed in. If anything, the game always made me feel like Bayonetta herself is tiny and the world and enemies are all fucking huge!

but I agree with your point-- they aren't optimizing the game for combat, it's for everything.

sleepykyo

lowhighkang_LHK said:
30 fps?

You're right they don't. People don't realize that CoD is a 40-60 game either, but they feel that it is smoother than all the 20-30fps clones out there.

That being said, I agree about the whole sacrificing performance for better physics. If's it's something like Red Faction: Guerilla or even Battlefield: Bad Company where you can level 80% of the map, great. Being able to grab demons, repeatedly chuck them through a building and have it collapse on them (based upon some real time formula), would be great.

A bunch of scripted environmental sequences on the other hand wouldn't be. Ditto for HDR or better textures.

Tain

To be fair, 30fps is less of an issue with this game than it would be with, like, Quake or something. There are action games that run in 30fps that are far more demanding than the existing DMC games, too.

but yeah, it sure as hell matters.

In order for this game to be worth my time, Ninja Theory would have to study the hell out of the genre in a way that no Western developer has. Nothing I've seen makes me think they're up to the task.

lowhighkang_LHK said:

Ask absolutely anyone who played the original DMC if it felt "smooth" or "responsive" or whatever. They'll all agree that it did. Doesn't really matter if they know why.

Top Bottom