• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever set a game's voice audio to a language you don't speak? When and why?

renzolama

Depends if the voice acting is annoying in English.

I can't count the number of games with child/teen-esque protagonists that I've enjoyed immensely more after swapping to another language / subs. Bayonetta 2 is the most egregious example that comes to mind immediately - if I had to hear that squirrel kid say "luv" in English through the entire game I would have skipped the cutscenes entirely.

karasu

I did when I was trying to immerse myself in French. I prefer a game like Mass Effect 3 in French for some reason. It sounds so nice.

elfinke

Always used to play PS2-era PES with the commentary set to Italian or Spanish, or really any language other than English.

'twas the best.

/edit:

If you're not playing FIFA with Spanish announcers, you might as well not even bother scoring goals.

High five. You know what's up.

For games that have multi-language options, do you ever choose to have the audio/voice acting in a language you don't understand or only barely understand? I would be especially interested to hear from European or Asian gamers that choose English audio over their native tongue.

Well, if we could give you an answer, obviously English isn't exactly a language we barely understand. :p

In any case, if a game is set on a specific real country, I feel compelled to choose the voice acting in that country's language if available as a matter of accuracy.

When it's a fantastical setting, I usually begin by continuously changing the voices for curiousity's sake, then settle on the one that sounds more pleasing to me. If there's a stand out voice-acting scene, I tend to replay it with different languages to hear how different actors deliver it.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I speak/read English and Japanese at a native level, so I always make it a point to play in whatever a game's "target language" is. In the case of many modern "AAA" Japanese-developed titles, the target language is actually English, so I go with that.

As for languages I don't speak, the only major example I can think of is The Witcher series, which I've always made an effort to try and play with Polish voice. But the sheer amount of ambient voice in Wild Hunt made that impossible... as well as the fact that with that game, English is probably considered the target language.

psyfi

Banned
I'm about to play BOTW in Japanese, and while I know a lot of basic Japanese, I likely won't follow most of what they say. It'll be my second playthrough though, I'm just curious to see how the voice acting is and how well I can keep up with what they say.

Kataploom

Gold Member
YES. Because there are not many latin-american spanish dubbed games and even then, I like everything on their original language. It's not a matter of understanding, but of feeling, interpretation... Of course, I'd play a Dragon Ball game in latin-american spanish given the option since I grew listening to those voice, but that's just an outlier, also Zelda if I can't play it in japanese when I get it...

I wanted to play Metro in Russian back in the days but the shitty-super-tiny-gamey subtitles that no one can read didn't let me enjoy it since english felt out of context... I'll always have subtitles for voices in other languages than mine, I'm very used to them since I'm from South-america anyway...

balohna

I played Metro 2033 in Russian with English subtitles.

Felt more immersive. The lame part is that background NPC dialog doesn't have subtitles. It's not a deal breaking thing, but it would be nice to know what they're saying.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yep, and it's specifically for terrible English dubs.

The ones that popped in my head immediately were Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders and KUF: Heroes. Those were next level bad English dubs.

royox

As a Spanish person I usually play full spanish if possible...but The Wither dub was SO BAD i had to put the voices in english.

For japaneae games withouth spanish voices but spanish texts i put the japanese voices if there's the option.

For japaneae games with 0% spanish I let the English voices. It helpa my brain to understand the texts better and faster.

Special note to Assassins2. Spanish and Italian are so similar they left some lines in italian, they fitted perfectly.

Madao

i don't speak english normally (only use it in the internet) but i set all my games to english because i can't stand the spanish they use and i prefer english here.

lupinko

I really like the Witcher 3 in Polish but playing it from my bed is a pain due to how the text was designed to work around a monitor you sit right in front of rather than a comfy couch or bed.

Regardless of the Polish dub, I have that complaint either way.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Generally prefer the original dubs for most things.
I've switched languages around for learning purposes(like I checked the Japanese translation for Witcher 3 out a few months ago).
Also once you listen to another language for a while it's fun to discover patterns and figure the language out a bit on your own.

border

Horizon Zero Dawn i played in German. The voice work on that version is incredible. It makes it hard to hear the origional english since Deusch Aloy is perfect. (Although that could just be my ignorance of the neuances of spoken German)

Remember Me/Assasins Creed Unity. Why play a game set in paris with generic posh english voices. French enriches both these experiences so much.

Zelda BotW. The Latin Spanish version is the best. German is also good but it just felt wrong playing BotW in German after playing Horizon in the same language.

Out of curiousity, how is it that you come to a conclusion which language is best? Like, what makes Horizon better in German than in French? (Assuming you don't know either language).

I started Ghost Recon Wildlands with English language and it was super annoying. There is a decent amount of repetitive dialog, mostly on the radio. I restarted with Spanish dialog and very hard difficulty and it's honestly an entirely different, much better game. I don't understand a word that anyone is saying, so I just enjoy the sound of their accents and follow the quest marker.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Usually games of Japanese origin to Japanese, if it fits the game and i have not pleayed it in english or german before.
Metal Gear is English for me, even if i had the option of JP.
Stuff like BlazBlue, JRPGs,... are all in japanese though. It just makes things more fitting, and sometimes i honestly cant stand how some Japanese names are pronounced in English *shudders*.

German, which is my main language, i totally avoid. Usually the dubs suck. And in the few instaces they dont totally suck, they're still cringeworthy at times.
Tried playing Breath of the Wild in German again to give it a chance, but stuff like "Bratäpfelchen" instead of 'Bratapfel' for Baked Appel, as well as the general way they were spekaing, which was far from natural sounding, made me quit instantly.

Buzzman

Banned
I played the underground parts of Metro with Russian VO, and then every time there was an above ground section I switched to German.

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
Around the PS2 era I used to set the voice language in many JRPG's to Japanese were the option available, but dubbing has improved a lot over the past decade and I generally prefer it nowadays. Heck, I now find questionable dubs to be endearing.

The most recent example of me changing the language was with the Metro series—I had recommendations to play them with Russian voice-overs. It is much better and builds the atmosphere well.

Usually games of Japanese origin to Japanese, if it fits the game and i have not pleayed it in english or german before.
Metal Gear is English for me, even if i had the option of JP.
Stuff like BlazBlue, JRPGs,... are all in japanese though. It just makes things more fitting, and sometimes i honestly cant stand how some Japanese names are pronounced in English *shudders*.

But Western names pronounced in Japanese are just as bad!

I prefer the Japanese audio in games, the dubs always sound awful and they seem to add one character with a high pitched squeaky voice for no reason. Listening to those games for long enough and you start to understand some words naturally.

Kamina

Golden Boy
But Western named pronounced in Japanese are even worse!
That is very true. However, the -u sound at the end of some names, like Franku, just makes it sound funnily good.
Hearing Tom Cruise in Last Samurai pronounce Katsumoto however made me cringe. And sadly thats the issue i have with a lot of Japanese games played in english.

Luckily, in Japanese Games you dont have so many instances of western names, so thats why i originally said the JP VA is more fitting.

Brockxz

I think I only did once - with first Witcher game. I set it to Polish. I know a little bit Polish language but not that good to understand everything was said so i left English subs on.
I primarily play with English VO but sometimes I also set games on Russian (I know Russian as good as English but it is not my native language). I think Stalker games and Metro 2033 are way better on Russian. Fits better with mood and games setting.

Only Japanese games if English subtitles are available because anime. Just sounds better to me, but there are some good englishs dubs out there.

On rare occasions, I opt to use a Japanese dub over its English counterpart. This is usually when I'm used to the Japanese voices already (One Piece games) or where the English dub is actually offensive (FF Type-0).

timmyp53

Since I already knew the games story and have completed the games. Thus on my second playthrough of Metro 2033 on Russian VO and I don't even bother turning subtitles on.
When the English voices are terrible I immediately switch to another language.
Two examples of stellar voice acting is the original Dead Rising and Tales of Vesperia. Lost Odyssey also had pretty good voice acting.
Metro VO is actually awesome in English. Putting in Russian actually is the worst experience if you don't speak it because almost none of the non essential npcs are subtitled.

Script is pretty bad for loading screens though. I guess not understanding the narration would help that.

batrush

no but I am trilingual (japanese/english/spanish). Its not often the case that all three (if offered) are bad so I usually just go with the one that sounds best.

Mozendo

Because I hate listening to Yuri Lowenthal.
I've gone looking for undub patches if the game doesn't let me change it to Japanese

pants

Japanese games that have Japanese voice + English subtitles always go Japanese audio for me. Can't be arsed to listen to the hobos they pick up to do localisations of Japanese games.

MCD250

I played The Witcher III in Polish with Spanish subtitles (I really like how Polish Geralt sounds), which was unusual for me as I typically do English subs. But Spanish is my first language, and I figured an English translation wouldn't be any more "authentic" to the original writing than a Spanish one, so I went with the latter.

I can't imagine ever playing that game with English voices at this point. The Polish ones are too embedded in my mind even if I don't actually speak the language.

ErbilT

Fighting games like the Soul Caliber and DOA usually get subtitles turned off and Japanese voice tracks selected in my house. The writing in those games are awful and switching the language to one that I don't ​understand helps me imagine that they are saying things that are not nearly as dumb as they actually are.

jdstorm

Banned
Out of curiousity, how is it that you come to a conclusion which language is best? Like, what makes Horizon better in German than in French? (Assuming you don't know either language).

I have an older sibling who's pretty competant at both languages and i can speak some broken basic french. Because of this, i have developed a solid ear for both languages despite being unable to speak them.

Despite being native english speakers we would occasionally watch English produced comedies in other languages and try and work out what sounded the best. IE Friends is just as funny in french, How I Met Your Mother in German is fantastic ect.

However this stuff is highly subjective. I personally look for 2 things. Appearance (and how closely it relates to my own largely stereotypical view of each culture) The second is the vocal cadence (rythm) of the person speaking. All languages seem to have their own natural rythm. Good acting seems to stay within that rythm and have a natural flow.

This is partly why i chose to play Horizon in German. English bothered me a lot. (Reasons that no one will care about)
It bothered me that Aloy's VA was American but the writing felt like it was for someone who spoke British English. Things like Aloy saying I will go when it felt she should be saying I'll go within the context of a scene.

Baleoce

FFXIV ARR. Simply because I wasn't enjoying the voice acting for the most part and I found it immersion breaking at times.

Skinpop

Always original va. I dont watch dubs of movies either. Its the one thing i'm happily high brow about. If you go for the dub, then i'm gonna think worse of you.

I switch to Spanish if available, as I'm moving to Madrid next week, so every little bit helps. Also Japanese if a game has a terrible English dub.

CJCW

I don't think I've ever voluntarily played a game in anything other than English. If it's not available I'll stick it out, but otherwise I'll take my native tongue over everything else. Might have to do with me disliking subtitles in anything.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
STALKER - not the russian vo, but i went an even more complicated route and got the original ukranian voices (that were patched into the russian version after release) working with the english version

i mean, there's no way for me to discern any difference between the dialects or the apparent richness that the ukranian dub supposedly has over the others, but it was fun hearing the actors and delivery that gsc originally intended for the game - and anything is an improvement over STALKER's english dub

shmoglish

I did it only a few times with a language I dont speak (russian language in Metro because I thought it would fit better and some japanese VOs).

As Long as the VO is not superbad I go with german.

I'm rolling Yakuza 0 with japanese voice acting

...because it is the only available language (or? Thought only the first yakuza had english VO)

Opa-Pa

When I was younger and really into anime, yeah, I'd always play stuff in japanese given the chance.

Now I play everything in english unless it's a particularly awful dub or a game from a series I'm used to playing in japanese. It's not like I don't like japanese dubs, though, if I knew the language I'd probably play all japanese games like that, but I've come to appreciate good english dubs and don't like missing sfuff like battle lines.

I set Assassin's Creed Unity to French with English Subtitles. I do understand a small amount of French, but most importantly I though it unbelievably stupid that a game set in France inexplicably had literally everyone speak in British accents.

Top Bottom