• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you ever set a game's voice audio to a language you don't speak? When and why?

O.DOGG

In Japanese games, sure. Not always but in general if there is a Japanese spoken language option, I'll choose it. The only game I didn't was RE7 because the English dub fit the setting better.

I'm learning Japanese right now, so I'm playing everything I can in Japanese. I'm trying to go with Japanese audio and Japanese text whenever possible. I did well with Breath of the Wild in all Japanese (with copious dictionary use as I played), but with Nier Automata I need the English subtitles because so much of the game's story is delivered in spoken dialogue as you play and there's no way I could keep up.

VexyWexy

Not quite the what you're asking because it's not an option, but when Tecmo/Koei stopped bothering to do English VA in their Warriors games it was a relief on my ears.

Not only was the English VA atrocious but I also find it far less annoying to hear the same lines of dialogue repeated over and over (each character's equivalent of "I have defeated an officer!") when it's in a language I don't understand.

LiK

Only if the English dub is bad or sounds off. It's hard to tell when another language has a bad dub most of the time. I usually stick with English first.

Examples:

MGS series in English only. Great dub and it fits with the American espionage story. Japanese is just weird to me.

Kingdom Hearts in English as well since Disney got their voice talents involved.

P4G in English cuz the dub was excellent. Same for DanganRonpa series and VLR. Both DanganRonpa 1 and VLR featured a unique take with the localization and dub that actually enhanced the games. DR1 had one character with a unique accent not heard in JPN dub and VLR has a voice used that made it even cooler once you know who's voice it was. It wasn't even used in JPN dub. Those were nice touches.

I cannot stand when people have a dismissive attitude about English dubs and localization. Sometimes they put more work into it than people expect and I appreciate it.

On the other hand,I couldn't stand the English dubs for SE games like WoFF and FFXV so I switched it to JPN.

Maybe sometimes changing to Japanese VO or something.

I played AssCreed Unity with French audio and I think it contributed to me finding the game better than pretty much all other AC games, albeit not by much. Skipping Revelations, III and everything but 5 hours of Black Flag probably helped a lot too.

With fighting games I usually stick to Japanese voices, or if it's available, switch characters voices individually depending on they're nationality.

I recently tried the Nier demo in Japanese with subtitles but couldn't really read it properly what with all the action going on, so I missed a quite lot of it.

I mostly select the langue native to the game. IF the German dub turns out to be better, I'll go with that option but I don't think I've ever done that. :D

T-Rex.

Banned
If the dub is bad then I'll switch to Japanese for Japanese games, but it's pretty rare that I have to do so. A lot of the dubs are pretty good nowadays imo.

Osahi

I never play games in my native tongue. I speak Dutch and we don't have the tradition of dubbing film and tv. Some games get dubbed in Dutch (very rarely) end the result is always like nails on a chalkboard. It doesn't help they use Dutch actors, while I am Belgian, and speak another dialect. Also, often the translation is terrible with unnatural feeling dialogue and ridiculous translations of specific terms. (The reason why I never play games with dutch text too)

In Japanese games offering the option I often go for Japanese voices, depending on how good or awful the English vo is.

Croash

Bloodborne in Spanish.

I am actively learning Spanish so I do actually understand some of it, but I rarely consume media like this (meaning Spanish dub/subs/menu texts, not all games give a choice like the Uncharted series).

In Bloodborne you are visiting a foreign land, making you a stranger to all. It was much more efficient by not having the comfort of a language I am used to in all other games.

Also, I fucking adore Spanish! Ahh, querida cazadora...

Someone mentioned Assassin's Creed Unity, which is a great example. I am French, so it's not what the thread is about, but I did mean to play it in English at first, as I don't ever deliberately choose French.

However the series kept on repeating the same mistakes with illogical accents and badly pronounced native words, which is distracting, so I'd had enough and switched to 100% French for the first time in at least 8 years.

Most likely would have done the same if I weren't French to begin with.

void_if_removed

Neo Member
With Japanese games, it is usually a no-brainer, as so many have already said.

A notable exception to that is Ni No Kuni, which had a brilliant English voice cast, especially Welsh Drippy.

alienator

I never play games in my native tongue. I speak Dutch and we don't have the tradition of dubbing film and tv. Some games get dubbed in Dutch (very rarely) end the result is always like nails on a chalkboard. It doesn't help they use Dutch actors, while I am Belgian, and speak another dialect. Also, often the translation is terrible with unnatural feeling dialogue and ridiculous translations of specific terms. (The reason why I never play games with dutch text too)

In Japanese games offering the option I often go for Japanese voices, depending on how good or awful the English vo is.

LAKSCHADE RUILBEURS & Spiegeltje krak (burnout 3 / revenge (?)) was just nailbiting bad in dutch. So bad that i dont even know why the voice actress would not have mentioned that ,at one point, while recording, that it was horrifying bad.

yes im dutch too, i play all my games in english. But if theres a japanese dub available on it, i just use that with subtitles. (and METRO in russian is just awesome)

The only game i ever played in dutch are the uncharted ones (1/2/3) because of the voice actor, and it was exceptionally well done.

Infamous on ps3 in dutch was very cringeworthy too. and it didnt ship with english audio at launch!!! horrible.

ty_hot

I learnt most of my English playing games so now that I am learning Spanish I am planning to play The Witcher 3 in Spanish. Because of this thread.

dnmt

Banned
Growing up in a country where English isn't the main language I am very much used to subtitles so yes, I usually just go for the original language which is most often Japanese.

Japanese games, almost all the time. I wanted to for NieR: Automata, but the subtitles move a bit too quickly. The English dub has been more than fine though. I like it quite a bit, in fact. I've always played MGS in English, but spend as much time with the series in Japanese; I play V exclusively in Japanese as the most important character of all has a much more passionate delivery, not that there's a gauge for that sort of thing ...just my interpretation. The most awesome part of being a PC gamer is dual/multi-audio on just about every game available. It's awesome to get to play great games in their native language!

Melfice7

If i have the option, i always prefer the content on its original language, i plan on starting FFXV in japanese, it sounds out of place in english. As would for example The Last of Us in japanese

Nestunt

Well, I am Portuguese and have been playing games long before there were any dubs or even subtitles. So, I know this might sound weird, games only make sense in English. With the exception of JP games; those I prefer the original voice cast and english subs.

Polk

I played Asssassin's Creed 2/Brotherhood/Revelations in Italian (but only Ezio chapters). Present/Future moments I changed back to English.

BlackAlbatross

Neo Member
Always japanese VA for japanese games when available. Many years of doing this in games/anime/variety shows has led me to some almost decent comprehension skills, so it's not like I don't understand anything.
The few times I tried english voices in a japanese game it always felt weird and "out of place" (just recently played Atelier Ayesha, the only one in the series without japanese audio, and it definitely felt "wrong").

As for the rest nowadays I always use english audio and subtitles, despite my mother language being italian, since usually italian dubs and translations are pretty bad.
Last month I played Mass Effect 3 for the first time and decided to go with the italian audio for the first time in many years since I had played the rest of the trilogy in my mother language, but I was shocked at how bad it was, with intonations all over the place.

The only exception I made recently was with Assassin's Creed Unity. I set it on french to get a better "mood", and it made a refreshing experience.

Moaradin

Not often. Reading subtitles while playing at the same time is a pain. And in a lot of cases, lots of stuff aren't even subtitled like background chatter.

More often than not, when I'm given the possibility to choose, I stick to the original audio version, whether it is a language that I understand or not. Somewhat releted, I usually skip lines of spoken dialogues as soon as I read the subtitle of that conversation (normally in less than a third needed to the actor to deliver the same line), so I presume my fix for original language as somewhat little to do with my respect for the original delivery and more with being afraid that the dubbed one may be distractingly terribad

Samaritan

With Japanese games I'll go subs if the English dub is poor. Would give anything to do this with Breath of the Wild.

In other instances I do it when the setting makes sense for it. For instance, I played Assassin's Creed II in Italian with English subs. Was a really cool way to experience that game.

I was bored and picked the japanese dub for Overwatch. Its surprisingly pretty well done and theres some good choices they made for it.

Rappy

I'm going with Japanese in Persona 5. Something about anime or anime-looking characters speaking in English just feels off to me for some reason, even with good voice acting. No idea why.
You want to have an idea why? Because of lip-syncing. This is especially the case in 2D animated scenes. I feel that this is likely a huge issue people have with BOTW's dubs. I personally don't think the voice overs are as bad as some would say, but they certainly don't sync with the character's mouths in cutscenes. This is because these scenes were only made with Japanese voices in mind.

Sure, often with replays trying out different VO. most common is perhaps between English and Japanese in rpgs. But it is worth trying it out with other languages as well.

Tip, angry german speaking Zeus in god of war 3 ps4 remake is amazing Zeus!

EvB

I played "remember me" set to French, as the game is set in Paris and it was fun having French zombies

Japanese. I'm half Japanese and understand some but nowhere near all, and it's easier to listen to bad voice acting in Japanese than English.

evolve9

I sometimes switch the dub for fun since I like exploring different languages and sometimes it just feels more immersive, for example the polish dub for Witcher 3 really fits in with the slavic folklore aesthetic of the games' world (and for someone of slavic descent it's fun to listen to other slavic languages since you can recognise some similar words and phrases).

I've also been setting a lot of games to french lately since I'm currently learning it and it's a really fun way for learning new words.

I did this recently for Ghost Recon Wildlands and it makes it a fundamentally better experience IMHO...

See Example here...

I started Ghost Recon Wildlands with English language and it was super annoying. There is a decent amount of repetitive dialog, mostly on the radio. I restarted with Spanish dialog and very hard difficulty and it's honestly an entirely different, much better game. I don't understand a word that anyone is saying, so I just enjoy the sound of their accents and follow the quest marker.

tenor.gif

I set it to japanese. I usually dislike the english VA in japanese games so having it in japanese, a language i don't speak, i don't really notice bad VA.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
played Witcher 3 in polish. that's the way it's meant to be played so it just felt right. i always have subtitles on anyway for games/movies even if it's in english because of hearing issues.

not sure if it's possible but i'd love to play dark souls/bloodborne in japanese. at this point i know what to do and have experienced it all so don't really need to listen to npcs or read descriptions. i love japanese text. makes everything look 10x cooler.

Velurian

I recently switched Fifa 17 commentary from English (which I understand) to French (which I can barely understand when spoken, can only read in French, really) because the English commentary was starting to get on my nerves because of the repetition. I've learned to understand a few words better in French thanks to this.

Dark Link

Majority of the time I'll always keep it to English VA no matter how bad people claim it to be. Occasionally on subsequent playthroughs I'll swap it to Japanese VA just to get a hearing of it.

RalchAC

I played Atelier Shallie in Japanese with English subs because that game couldn't be more anime and its dub has AFAIK less recorded lines than the original voices. The later was a bigger reason for me than the former. I play most JRPGs, including Persona and Tales of with the English dub, so... yeah. Not that often.

Blobbers

When I absolutely can't stand the voice actors, I'll change the VO language or mute it entirely.

Examples: both Devil Survivor 1 and 2. Great games, but the English voice acting is balls.

KHlover

Banned
Adding to the pile. Cheesy Japanese games need cheesy Japanese voice acting :3

(Really liked the German dub of Breath of the Wild tho and Kid Icarus Uprising was also stellar)

Top Bottom