• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you expect Nintendo to launch Switch VC the week of E3?

LegendX48

"The Virtual Console for Nintendo Switch will be launching alongside our new online service later this year. Please look forward to more details in the future."

That's a touch disappointing. I just hope I won't have to rebuy all my VC games.... again.

Honestly, the Switch has held up amazingly well without it. I barely care at this point; I'd still really enjoy it, but I don't need it.

Virtual Console has been a depressing affair on 3DS and Wii U. With the exception of previously Japanese exclusive titles like Earthbound Beginnings and Mysterious Murasame Castle. There's been so very few releases, no GBA on 3DS after ambassador-programme, and dark N64 games.

So I hope Nintendo is seriously switching things up this time around.
Indeed. VC was amazing on Wii with all the different systems and third party support. But I've no interest in buying the games again. I'd consider a subscription service though.

graffix13

This would be so awesome. But I won't hold my breath.

It would also lessen the sting of not getting a NES Mini.

dukie85

I'm no longer expecting to be able to buy every single NES/SNES/N64/etc game on VC.

That being said, whenever it comes out I'll buy super metroid, link to the past, Mario 3, Mario world, links awakening, earthbound and a few others every time they come out.

I'm a sucker for nostalgia and love being able to play my favorites on current consoles/handhelds

<3 dat list. I hope they at least talk about it, if it doesn't launch. I wanna see what's up with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave out an E3 freebie game to owners and then announced a release date for the actual launch of the service. If there's an unannounced IP at E3 it'd likely be that IP's first game, if not they sort of have a tradition of putting Balloon Fight out early and for cheap.

I think we'll get some minor details with the full vc launch coming with paid online and any other online functionality they plan on launching with it

VC will result in more competition for indies which could hurt the system and result in less new games. I think it is wise for Nintendo to hold off until the system is established as a place that indies do well.

hatchx

Banned
No, and honestly I hope not. Nintendo needs to make as much room in the Spotlight for Switch games as possible. Stuff like Zelda DLC, Online app, and Virtual Console are all low-key stuff that can be covered in future Nintendo Directs. Nintendo needs to make this E3 big.

I'd consider this pretty big.

I think they will probably release it at the same time as their online service so that paying for it is a not so tough pill to swallow.

An announcement and release date confirmation at E3 is possible if it's true that they will be concentrating only on 2017 stuff. Also, if there is not much third party hotness ready for E3 they could also use it as a distraction so that 2017 doesn't look so barren I that department.

This is a defecto Nintendo move. Present mystery then crash expectations. Time to rebuy all those oldie but Goldie games again!! Yay easy money!!

mindatlarge

Perhaps we may see the VC launch within the next month or so, though I don't think it'll be with online play that some titles are said to include until the paid service rolls out later.

I don't think they'll launch anything but I certainly hope they announce something.

Given the 8bitdo snes30 controllers now work on the Switch I would probably give in and repurchase SMW and a few other titles.

True Fire

I imagine they'll launch Super Mario Bros, Super Mario 64, and The Legend of Zelda at E3. We'll then be drop fed one game a week for 6 years.

Virtual Console has been a depressing affair on 3DS and Wii U. With the exception of previously Japanese exclusive titles like Earthbound Beginnings and Mysterious Murasame Castle. There's been so very few releases, no GBA on 3DS after ambassador-programme, and dark N64 games.

So I hope Nintendo is seriously switching things up this time around.

When I see how many raspberry pi are being sold, and now those random build android tv boxes that seem to be everywhere, the future for 80's-90's VC at $10/game may not be there.

Still room for gamecube ports and wii ports.

Unless they sell something like an authentic N64 controller for $80 with eshop codes for 5 of the top N64 games for use on Switch only. Get that nostalgic crowd onto the Switch.

renzolama

No, but to be honest I haven't seen anything about Switch VC that's the slightest bit exciting so far anyway. At this point (as far as I can see from following Switch news) the only link between Switch VC and reality is the promise of playing NES/SNES games as part of the paid online pass. Call me jaded, but the prospect of playing 20+ year old games on my $300 tablet isn't exactly keeping me awake at night with anticipation in 2017. Personally, I think the Virtual Console is an insulting anachronism in the modern digital marketplace, and only retains relevancy due to the lack of competition on recent Nintendo platforms. I hope the previous poster mentioning potential competition between VC and indie games is correct, because that would be the best thing to happen to VC value for consumers on the Switch.

BooJoh

Games that released on Nintendo consoles (not NeoGeo)

That's not exactly true either. There's TurboGrafix/PCEngine VC along with Game Gear, MSX, Master System, Genesis.

Unless they drop the branding, Virtual Console is any retro game being emulated on a Nintendo system and categorized on the eShop and released as Virtual Console (though Wii on Wii U is a grey area as they're not emulated and not typically listed as Virtual Console, but are in the Virtual Console category on the web shop.)

13ruce

Banned
I really hope it's soon after E3 and that virtual console titles that you already own on your account are reduced to 1 dollar price wise.

BooJoh

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. To clarify my point, Maser Blaster 0 is a great game that has sold well. It would have sold a lot less if you could have bought the original for $5, along with every other NES classic.

Blaster Master Zero is also on 3DS, and so is the original Blaster Master for $5, along with the GBC Blaster Master. I don't know if Inti Creates has specified how well each version has done or just combined the numbers, though Zero is on the 3DS eShop's Best Sellers list on page 3 while Blaster Master NES is on page 14, for what it's worth.

That's not exactly true either. There's TurboGrafix/PCEngine VC along with Game Gear, MSX, Master System, Genesis.

Unless they drop the branding, Virtual Console is any retro game being emulated on a Nintendo system and categorized on the eShop and released as Virtual Console (though Wii on Wii U is a grey area as they're not emulated and not typically listed as Virtual Console, but are in the Virtual Console category on the web shop.)

Dunno if that's true anymore. Wii U only had games from Nintendo consoles.

Top Bottom