• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you expect Nintendo to launch Switch VC the week of E3?

What's considered a VC? Nintendo's exclusive only?

Virtual Console is games emulated in their original form using emulators developed by Nintendo proper. 3D Classics aren't considered VC because they aren't strictly emulated and have 3D and other bells and whistles which make them different from their original release. Arcade Archives aren't considered VC because it's an initiative across several platforms published by Hamster.

Wii U has been getting TG-16 VC all this year.

Damn thats weird they expanded on the VC when the console was dead. I remember owning one and there was just NES SNES GBA and N64.

I hope they don't fumble Switch VC the same way. Should be getting a steady stream of games from all platforms for the entire span of it's life.

Neiteio

I expect them to announce it at E3 and deploy it at the same time as their online service.
I'm also hoping they deploy a little game called Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch at the same time, as a flagship title for their online service. Although an online-enabled Melee on the VC could fit that bill, with Smash Switch following later. *thinking.gif*

Griss

I expect it announced at e3 and launched with their online service whenever that is, August or September or whenever.

I'm honestly much more concerned with the following:
1) Quality of emulation
2) Speed of releases (not the drip-feed of 2/3 games per week again, please god)
3) Pricing
than I am with when it actually comes out. Then again I would say that as I haven't gotten a Switch yet. I plan to pick one up when Splatoon 2 releases.

Kyzer

Banned
No, and honestly I hope not. Nintendo needs to make as much room in the Spotlight for Switch games as possible. Stuff like Zelda DLC, Online app, and Virtual Console are all low-key stuff that can be covered in future Nintendo Directs. Nintendo needs to make this E3 big.

...? Why not do both?

I expect VC to be explained and online laid out, but not launch that week

Emhemed

They said they will focus on 2017 so that gives room for VC announcement. Also they pulled the trigger on The Nintendo Classic Mini just recently so maybe that's a sign.

zenspider

I hope they announce what they'll be doing instead of Virtual Console.

After the NES Classic, announcing classic games as part of their paid online service, Ultra Street Fighter II, NEO-GEO ACA, Seiken Densetsu Colletion, Namco Museum, and the scuttlebutt around Sega Forever, are we really still expecting a Virtual Console?

It's making less and less sense, and I feel like everyone still seeing its announcement as some foregone conclusion are just setting themselves up for disappoint and fueling a barrage of post-e3 shitposting.

Machina

Banned
They'll have a major firmware update for the Switch ready to go but I'm not sure the VC will be apart of it immediately. Maybe the framework for a future launch

MoonFrog

Expect? No. I don't really expect much period with Nintendo. I hope for some things, fear others, but expect relatively few and relatively obvious things.

I am waiting for VC news though. Never did it much these past two generations, but want to do it now. Also VC + region free sounds awesome.

jdstorm

Banned
No.

The Switch is still supply constrained so you will want all of its userbase buying the multitude of new games due this year (especially 3rd parties) over the old Nintendo favourites.

Also the longer Nintendo wait to release VC on Switch, the more featured it can be at launch. So its a win-win scenario.

Wildean

No chance. ARMS launches just a couple of days after E3; Nintendo won't launch the VC at the same time as a major first party title. It'll launch sometime when there's a gap in the release schedule.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I think they'll talk about it at E3, but not sure about whether they'll actually launch it. They do need to have it up before the paid online service launches, so it can't be too much longer, though.

Smasher89

I'm also hoping they deploy a little game called Super Smash Bros for Nintendo Switch at the same time, as a flagship title for their online service. Although an online-enabled Melee on the VC could fit that bill, with Smash Switch following later. *thinking.gif*
That happening, with gc controller support and ill buy a switch prob the same day!
Even though a switch is kinda expensive, it would still be cheaper then a new pc to emulate it.

Biske

At this point I fully expect some dumb ass "coming this holiday season.... mario 64.. on switch VC" and the same old drip drop of the same old crap, please be excited.

Ideally they would come out "hey all the VC stuff is out, the full library of previous consoles, go nuts, go buy it, also here is Mother 3 also here is some fun new VC games coming out"

But who are we kidding?

I hope it'll happen, but I don't think so. They've got too much they want to do with it and I think they'll be ironing it out for a bit longer. Totally happy to be wrong on this, though.

You mean the one with games that will release 2020/just entered development progress phase?

Maybe he's referring to 95's "299" moment? I'm not sure that could count as "quickly" forgotten, 20 years ago and all. I dunno.

MLH

I see three scenarios:
- No mention of VC at E3 at all - when asked they say they'll talk about it soon - worst timeline...

- Details of the VC - it launches alongside their online system in Oct. I expect this.

- "Surprise! VC launches right after this presentation" Possibly starting with Mother 3 - dream scenario.

The pessimist in me is also predicting the following:
Reggie meant what he said about GC VC, it wasn't a very popular console and they haven't been focused on getting GC VC on Switch.
No sign of third parties. The service will only launch with Nintendo titles & consoles. (3rd parties will come in the following weeks, mostly Konami & Capcom) Same drip feed, slow-ass bullshit as before.

I recall when Switch was first announced that VC console was mentioned with "online features". Either way I'm really interested to see what the plan is.

Emulation better be good this time, more more dark ass filters, or at least let us switch it off. The DS emulator had a hidden internal resolution switch to
Also stop screwing over consumers that have already purchased these games! Let us transfer,

No, it'll come with the paid online service and Mario Odyssey in Q4 when the system is bundled with 1-2 Switch, has more colour options and gets its proper launch. March was the soft launch.

Moreche

Nintendo have consistently disappointed me with VC, I remember it first being announced on Wii and they've never impressed me with its service.
For a company with the most impressive back catalogue ever, it's such a disappointment and waste.

Coffinhal

It can happen but nobody cant tell "it has 100% chance of happening/not happening" (so lots of liars in this thread)

No, and honestly I hope not. Nintendo needs to make as much room in the Spotlight for Switch games as possible. Stuff like Zelda DLC, Online app, and Virtual Console are all low-key stuff that can be covered in future Nintendo Directs. Nintendo needs to make this E3 big.

This is stupid, hopefully you're not in charge of Nintendo's strategy.

Getting spotlight for the Switch is all they need and VC is one of the means that will appeal to a certain public. A surprise release of a few titles (that should have been there at launch) is a great way to get people interested in the other things you have to show. It also works the other way around.

spelen

No, and i honestly don't know why ppl still care so much about vc. They charge an inordinate amount for old games that most ppl bought on their wii, 3ds, Wiiu, or original console.

kizmah

I certainly hope so. I expected it at launch but seeing as Zelda took over my gaming life for two months I don't mourn it's absence. But now the time has come to expand (and revamp) the output on eshop. It's hybrid nature makes the Switch the perfect console for VC imo. And I really have high hopes that GC-games finally will get the VC treatment. There are so many titles I would absolutely love to play on this gorgeous small screen. My wallet is ready Nintendo.

legend166

Whatever it is, there's no way I won't be disappointed because I know they can't match what's in my head (even if it is eminently reasonable).

- Significantly more releases each week (10-15). I would just say put everything up immediately but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for QA

- Pricing of $2.99 for 8 bit gen, $4.99 for 16 bit, 7.99 for 64 bit, $15 for GameCube.

- Daily/weekly/seasonal sales ala Steam.

- No stupid dark filter.

- Breadth of content and third parties as we saw on the Wii.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I still think they would rather have the indie games sell well on eShop - so even if VC ends up being a thing i can see them really limit the output...maybe to the 1-2 free monthly games per service. Dont expect them to open up the floodgates as long as they still have shortages and they want the current users to pick up new indie titles.

I really just want SNES games. Give me Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy 6, Super Metroid, and Illusion of Gaia. I'll buy all day 1.

Top Bottom