• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you expect your PSN/XBLA/Wiiiware etc purchases to follow to next-gen systems?

IrishNinja

started this over here:

Because the PSN purchases are locked to the PS3 and when you no longer have a PS3, you'll no longer have the games. There's no way in hell they'll emulate them all on the PS4.

I'm pretty confident that none of the current DLC and XBLA/PSN games will make the transition to the next set of consoles.

i'm always surprised when i see this - don't most customers buy a PSN/XBLA/etc library under the assumption they can carry their digital goods into the next gen? this seems even more precarious than not bringing physical software BC, because you're asking consumers to have faith & invest in your ecostystem (a tall order for sony after PSN's downtime/compromise last year), but then just drop it all after every gen? this feels like a weird assumption.

When I buy games for a device I expect it to work on that device alone, anything else is just a bonus.

...is this a prevalent mentality here on GAF? i get (but lament) that physical software BC was made to be something of an afterthought by MS & Sony this gen, and further that the current rumors of the PS4 abandoning the cell structure (perfectly logical) imply i shouldn't count on full PS3 BC, at least without a premium system or dongle or something I'm really hoping for.

but are many of you taking that mentality with your console DD purchases? I'm not entirely sure how Nintendo plans to carry over VC/WW purchases (if at at all), but per my post there, i think it'd be somewhat disastrous of either Sony or MS to disregard active libraries they've worked to build, especially given the level of trust required there. Does this strike you as sound, or naive?

If it makes them more money, they'll do it.

My psychic internet mail server is picking up a press release from the future! It reads:

Devil May Cry Super-HD Collection, now featuring DMC4 and DmC, all "converted" into (read, set internal resolution to) glorious 1080p! Only $60. Coming March 2017. DMC 1-3 require a valid online pass, only available in the Special Edition, retailing for $90, featuring an A6 twenty page artbook!

Penguin have been doing this for decades, and a lot of what they sell is public domain.

MMaRsu

Banned
Ofcourse because if they dont I wont buy that shit for years to come

Ofcourse they SHOULD. It would make them more money and get a larger install base out of the gate.

OnPoint

I have over 100 games on my Xbox 360, indie and XBLA. I have close to that on my PS3. I have a shit-ton on my Wii as well.

There's gonna be issues for me if they don't.

Ydahs

Did Nintendo allow users to transfer their DSi purchases over to the 3DS? I think that may give us a good idea if they'll do it with the Wii U, but I guess the publishers also have a say in it too.

IrishNinja

If it makes them more money, they'll do it.

see, i imagine they'd still see some of their titles (honestly, some of this gen's best have been on said platforms) as still potentially profitable, but who knows?

i do expect them to, and if they don't, i'm done with console gaming

yeah, see i don't know that i'd go that far but i definitely wouldn't line up to buy much on either DD service. as it stands, i'm usually hesitant just to see if a game i want comes to steam/etc, for this very possibility.

Did Nintendo allow users to transfer their DSi purchases over to the 3DS? I think that may give us a good idea if they'll do it with the Wii U, but I guess the publishers also have a say in it too.

part of me is assuming/hoping once the nintendo network thing is in place, they'll have a system to transfer content the way 3DS does through wi-fi. no user accounts yet, but at least they're linking my purchases to a club nintendo account, that's a start.

bede-x

Yes, I expect my purchases to work, because manufacturers wish to lock us to their eco-system.

If any of my current purchases doesn't carry over, I'll limit my buying from that company to the bare necessities in the future.

joshwaan

I hope they do I spent so much money on my PSN account and quite a bit on XBL I'd be very upset if they did not. It would not stop me from purchasing there console just be mighty pissed off :p

SONY better build a software emulator in their PS4 to play all my PS3 games.... and they better allow me to carry on my PSN ID from the PS3 with all the trophies and stuff.

BUT if they didn't.... well, I will bitch for few months then I will still buy it :(

V_Ben

Banned
They really should, but I doubt they will on Sony's next console if the architecture really is that different.

izakq

Yes, you are able to transfer them over, so this gives me hope for being able to transfer VC and WiiWare stuff over to Wii U.

For PSN and XBLA, I don't think they have a plan in place yet, but once their respective system gets more finalized, I think they will have something in place.

bigkrev

If the new systems have any sort of backwards compatibility disc-wise, they damn well better let me take my downloadable games with me as well. If they have no backwards compatibility, I will at least understand why I can't bring my old stuff over, but I won't be any less unhappy about it.

Rikkun

I expect XBLA and PSN titles to work, like I expect to be able to carry my tag onto Xbox3 and maybe Ps4.

Not so confident about Wiiware and VC. That's why I stopped buying those games.

IrishNinja

SONY better build a software emulator in their PS4 to play all my PS3 games.... and they better allow me to carry on my PSN ID from the PS3 with all the trophies and stuff.

BUT if they didn't.... well, I will bitch for few months then I will still buy it :(

haha...i can't clown on you here, at least you're honest. but it's a very sad post!

SparkTR

They better. I'm not going to put money in digital platform that resets itself every 6 years. It'll be unforgivably bad, especially when they inevitable 'shutdown' the online services of current gen systems.

gcubed

see, i imagine they'd still see some of their titles (honestly, some of this gen's best have been on said platforms) as still potentially profitable, but who knows?

yeah, see i don't know that i'd go that far but i definitely wouldn't line up to buy much on either DD service. as it stands, i'm usually hesitant just to see if a game i want comes to steam/etc, for this very possibility.

part of me is assuming/hoping once the nintendo network thing is in place, they'll have a system to transfer content the way 3DS does through wi-fi. no user accounts yet, but at least they're linking my purchases to a club nintendo account, that's a start.

maybe i went a bit too far. I'm a PS3 primary gamer this gen, if they don't carry over and MS does, I'll be an Xbox gamer next gen. I'll get a PS4 when its cheap and just for exclusives, i won't buy a single DD game from them either.

If both abandon this generation of DD games i just wont ever buy console DD games. I'll wait for their inevitable release on steam, where i know they won't go away

Wiiware and VC, eh, not really because Nintendo is Nintendo... but Sony/MS, I fully expect every single one of my downloadable games I except to be able to redownload and play on the new system. There is no "technical" reason why they can't other than trying to make more money.

It will be important for them to make an effort to keep the stuff bc for their next consoles. Problem is that they likely won't care after that with any future consoles. They are not going to support the current content forever.

And with stuff like licensing issues with many games that causes them to remove content, with future consoles you will lose the ability to download lot of games and dlc.

There is pretty much no way they are going to support all our digital purchases forever, we are going to lose content. To what extent? Only time will tell.

Ranger X

I have more expectations in matter of digital content than physical content. Especially right now in matter of small PSN/XBLA/Wiiware games. It's not like emulating God of War 3...

GeekyDad

I expect a full rectal probe for money when it comes to just about any company, so no, I didn't expect these games to necessarily carry over. They will if the companies simply can't get away with it -- consumers won't tolerate it -- but the marketplace has made ample indication it likes getting fucked...hard.

SmokyDave

I think that they should, but I'm sceptical that they will. I think that's the main reason that my XBL / PSN purchases have really slowed down, because I know they will effectively 'expire' within a couple of years.

IrishNinja

I'm a PS3 primary gamer this gen, if they don't carry over and MS does, I'll be an Xbox gamer next gen. I'll get a PS4 when its cheap and just for exclusives, i won't buy a single DD game from them either.

If both abandon this generation of DD games i just wont ever buy console DD games. I'll wait for their inevitable release on steam, where i know they won't go away

yeah, this is pretty reasonable - i made the thread because i kind've felt this would be my very stance too, and was curious if others felt the same.

i know it's easy to say long before there's any DD exclusive games i really want, but i naturally wouldn't have much faith/feel much attachment to an ecosystem that freely resets every gen, leaving me constantly married to old hardware for digital games.

teeny

If it turns out I cannot, then I will not be buying the machine. It is as simple as that.

Ive often wondered about the Wii VC - is there any licensing issues involved with shifting to next generation when it comes to third party publishers? If Nintendo got an agreement from SEGA (for example) to sell Mega Drive games on the VC, will that agreement extend to the Wii U, or will it have to be negotiated?

It would be pretty shit if third party publishers leave the limited ecosystem Nintendo has created, even though the chances are it is going to get a lot better.

Not that I can play any of my VC games anyway :(

RedStep

I believe MS will, as they have a pretty standard architecture as well as focus on DD. The way they handle it reminds me of Apple, where your content continues to be available as you upgrade. It's intelligent, as it keeps you locked in their ecosystem (as mentioned earlier).

The way Nintendo handles DD and the potential changes in Sony's architecture worry me a bit, though. Neither of those is easy to overcome.

Its pretty simple...if they don't, then digital distribution is dead. DD hinges on the fact that its like physical distribution in that you can always keep your stuff. If that changes...then people will only buy physical products...or move to pc only.

XBLA im not worried about...im confident that M$ will make the right decision. DLC however....scares the shit out of me that they will lump this in with gaming companies typical hatred for back compat and try to leave it by the wayside...hopefully back compat will work out this gen since Microsoft owns all licensing on their hardware design.

I'm speaking out of ignorance here, but the 360 and especially the PS3 due to its complicated architecture will be practically impossible to emulate through software as far as I know. So to achieve backwards compatibility they would have to go the hardware route and I don't see them doing that because it will inflate the costs of the next consoles.

Derrick01

Banned
If they dont' then they can kiss any potential digital purchases from me goodbye. I'm already not a big fan of xbla/psn but if you want those services to grow you need to assure people that their purchases are permanent.

These guys love to rag on Apple for devaluing gaming with their $1 model but making people think you're essentially just borrowing a game for a few years isn't any better. And last I heard most of Apple's stuff works on their new systems.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I expect it to work for the xbox and Wii u. Unsure about the ps3. Xbox in particular has strict library standards which should make bc easy.

Probably not a dealbreaker for me if they don't, but it is shitty.

Top Bottom