• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you fly if you're sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
The worst, scariest experience of my life was when I was recovering from a bad cold and then hopped aboard an international flight. I don't fly very often, so I was especially ignorant about the potential hazards of flying while sick.

To this day I have never experienced pain of that severity in my life. The ascent was alright, but the descent made me feel like my eardrums would literally explode. I couldn't fucking believe the pain. I kept looking around to see if anyone else was suffering as much as me, but no, everyone's just chilling watching movies and sleeping and looking like they're napping in their home recliners.

Anyway, I'm flying today and lo and behold I've got a bit of congestion going on. After that prior experience, I'm not taking any chances and have stocked up on some pseudoephedrine (the "real" kind), chewing gum, and EarPlanes. And despite all of these precautions, I'm still extremely nervous about flying. I haven't got a cough or fever or anything, and my nose isn't really stuffy, but there is a slight pressure in my ears and my face. Of course I'd feel these symptoms just before my flight, fuck.

Anyway, what do you guys tend to do?

No refunds on flights so yes. Just load up on meds as much as possible. I also try to take extra vitamins leading up to my trip to boost my immune system.

Biske

Seeing the cost and inconvenience of rescheduling a flight and a trip because I'm sick? Yeah of course I fly when I'm sick. Don't really have any choice.

MrOogieBoogie

I would never cancel a flight for a cold. That's crazy.

It sounds crazy, yeah, but the experience of nonstop pain and being trapped inside a plane with no one able to help and no respite until landing was enough to make me EXTREMELY cautious about flying even with the slightest hint of illness.

Yeah I just did it in October and it was awful. The pain on descent was almost unbearable and my ears didn't pop until the next day

That said, it was still better than cancelling and losing all that money

mike6467

I had to fly back from Japan when I had one of the worst sinus infections of my life. Couldn't find any good meds before then, so I upgraded to business class and drank whisky with the guy next to me until I passed out. After I got back, I got to sit in LAX hungover and sick for 6 hours while waiting for my connection.

#noregrets

Aside from that I've never dealt with this, but I'd assume I'd just load up on the best cold meds I could, and maybe some sleep aids to try to knock myself out. Also saline spray, and maybe do a sinus rinse as close to the flight as possible.

It sounds crazy, yeah, but the experience of nonstop pain and being trapped inside a plane with no one able to help and no respite until landing was enough to make me EXTREMELY cautious about flying even with the slightest hint of illness.

I would have to be extremely sick to even consider it. I just got over noro virus. That shit is debilitating and I could barely walk so in that circumstance I'd probably just say fuck it. If its a cold you just have to power through.

I flew home with food poisoning once, not fun. Felt a bit sick on the first flight and gradually got worse, then was sick in every toilet I came across in the airport. Spent the whole second flight (thankfully only about an hour) sitting in the cabin crew seat beside the toilet. Was horrendous but the crew were great. Off work sick for the rest of the week.

sinus allergies sufferer, I did one time when I was stuffy.

My sinuses drilled a needle through my forehead in late-mid flight. Painful as fuck

MrOogieBoogie

sinus allergies sufferer, I did one time when I was stuffy.

My sinuses drilled a needle through my forehead in late-mid flight. Painful as fuck

Did you take an precautions? I'm thinking that with the Sudafed and the EarPlanes I should be good, but you never know.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Not much choice, if I booked a flight somewhere I'm not in a position to miss it.
But I do know what it's like to fly with a severe cold and feel that insanely painful ear pressure. On one occasion it was so bad I thought I was going to black out.

TissueBox

Never go on a flight with a cold, that's what I was warned. Considering how I would get a lot of ear pain from just going to high altitudes back in the day I learned that nasal problems could make it way worse...and a plane ride much more intense. So that scared me off of that idea, lol.

MrOogieBoogie

Never go on a flight with a cold, that's what I was warned. Considering how I would get a lot of ear pain from just going to high altitudes back in the day I learned that nasal problems could make it way worse...and a plane ride much more intense. So that scared me off of that idea, lol.

So you've never been on a flight?

Greddleok

I just do it. Can't cancel a flight for a refund anyway (which is ridiculous).

Done it multiple times and it was fine. Painful, but not the most painful thing I've ever felt.

The last time I flew I was sick. Dehydrated, nauseous, freezing and hot at the same time. Not fun but I couldn't just go home and come back later so I dealt with it. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy, though.

TissueBox

So you've never been on a flight?

I have, just never while suffering a really bad cold or worse, sinus infection. I dunno, I'd probably take the chance nowadays if I had to but my ear passages became very sensitive to pressure one mountain trip. Reminds me to get it medically checked some time lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom