• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you guys think Capcom's Exoprimal is dead on arrival? or does it actually have a chance to succeed?

KàIRóS

From what we have seen in recent times these types of Online Only games are pretty much just sent to die unless they are free to play or they have A LOT of marketing, Anthem, Metal Gear Survive, Godfall, Babylon's Fall, Redfall (It's funny how they share the word Fall, lol) they all flopped, hell even Suicide Squad a game that hasn't even come out yet is already expected to flop and while Capcom currently has a record of succesful releases in a row, I just don't see any type of interest in Exoprimal, there's no hype from the community around the game at all.

Personally I'm willing to give the game a chance, at least it's coming out on Game Pass, but realistically I think the future looks grim for this game.

jpFwtbi.jpg

SeraphJan

I could only state, this game does not interest me even a slight

Maybe GaaS just isn't for me

Last edited:

Bridges

If it has any chance of success it'll be through Game Pass. If they were smart, they'd put it on PS+ too. I am interested in it but I doubt very many will buy at launch. I'm anticipating a bomba but I hope to be wrong.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I mean, I'll probably play it under a condition that it'll also have straight PvE modes without any of that forced PvP hybrid bullshit, and as far as I know it will. Not many dinosaur games around to be picky about them.

Sentenza

"Earht Defense force, but with dinosaurs and made by Capcom" was a hell of an elevator pitch the first time I heard it, but I have to admit all the early trailers failed to impress me so far.

Mossybrew

"Earht Defense force, but with dinosaurs and made by Capcom"
If it was just this I'd be more interested, but they may be making a mistake by forcing PvP into the mix.

In any case I'm curious to read reviews on this one, could be a sleeper.

Ozriel

M$FT
There was an open beta for the game and it garnered quite a lot of positive impressions.

Open beta…why are half the posts here made as if all we’ve seen is trailers?

nbkicker

Nope if it had been single player story game then would have been 100% in, but 4 player coop then no chance, to me this is gonna be first capcom bomb in a while

EruditeHobo

Maybe GaaS just isn't for me

GAAS is what's holding you back here? So a fully single-player, cinematic epic about shooting hordes of dinosaurs, or whatever the hell this game is... that would actually appeal to you?

The game just doesn't look good, it's not rocket science. Especially in the midst of this release window... there's no room to even think about this nonsense, IMO. I didn't even realize it was releasing, for instance.

Nope if it had been single player story game then would have been 100% in, but 4 player coop then no chance...

Wow, really. Ok then!

When this bombs, I can't believe it would be due to it being multiplayer... that honestly seems like the only way to do this game in 2023. I don't even know what this looks like as single-player. It just isn't compelling enough from a gameplay perspective in any way, that's the fatal flaw here IMO.

Last edited:

Fbh

Probably not DOA thanks to gamepass.
But it totally looks like the sort of game people will play for a month or two and then move on to something else.

Sadly by making it PVP instead of pure PVE they also ensured that once the large bulk of the player base moves on the game will become useless.

ISubZBR

Ive played beta version.
It was not a bad game, but isnt good enough... Maybe if it was free to play, maybe could achieve any sucess...

The biggest problem is that no one asked for a game like this from capcom. Everybody I knows just wants a game like dino crisis, maybe a new one or a remake... So its like a slap in the face of who wants it

ssringo

Dead but also doesn't matter. This is Capcom figuring out modern dinosaur combat for the Dino Crisis Reboot without ruining the Dino Crisis Reboot.

200.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I suspect DoA... and unfortunately probably will kill any chance of Dino Crisis. They could've just released Dino Crisis and sold a few million.

As crazy it sounds. With game pass, think it can have a shot. It have some ppl playing it. If it good from those few ppl that playing it. It can help creat a buzz. It just no buzz around this game right now. So it like, game pass have to be something to help creat it for it I think

Labolas

Probably not DOA thanks to gamepass.
But it totally looks like the sort of game people will play for a month or two and then move on to something else.

Sadly by making it PVP instead of pure PVE they also ensured that once the large bulk of the player base moves on the game will become useless.
Yeah, I probably would be more into it if it was purely PVE. I didn't like the PVP aspect of it at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fbh

baphomet

If it goes f2p it'll probably do well.

It was pretty fun with a few friends. I couldn't imagine paying more than $30 for something like it though.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I played the beta awhile back for a decent amount of time.

The issue is the game is essentially a PvE coop race with terrible PvP thrown in at the end.

It's just not partially fun to play, and the most fun parts are the PvE which due to the games duel nature is not the focus in design and therefore lack luster.

Capcom could have made some sort of high end EDF experience with dinosaurs. Instead it's a half backed PvE game with terrible PvP. The game runs and looks great though, and the suit system is intresting in an anime warframe kind of way.

But this is 1000% Dead on Arrivial, it could be F2P and still be dead, but their charging full price and then asking you to threat it like a F2P game for the rest of its monetisation...

I mean look at this garbage.

It's so bad.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Launching in game pass will give it a big audience at launch by default.

Kacho

I think it will struggle to find an audience. This isn’t the type of game that the Capcom mega fans clamor for and the GAAS shooter space is pretty crowded. Lil Timmy ain’t gonna give up Fortnite and Call of Duty Joe won’t give up COD.

Bad feeling this is going to be an SSS rare Capcom L

Though, I also get the feeling Capcom approves some games almost as training projects or something - same thing with that Resident Evil Umbrella multiplayer game, they just feel like low budget side projects that got greenlit for reasons other than selling copies.

"Earht Defense force, but with dinosaurs and made by Capcom" was a hell of an elevator pitch the first time I heard it, but I have to admit all the early trailers failed to impress me so far.
Yeah, they should have literally just copy pasted the EDF formula, added dinosaurs, and called it a day. EDF gameplay and structure is absolutely sublime, more games need to take notes from them.

I think the best it can hope for is being a sleeper hit with a small but dedicated community that keeps it alive, then an inevitable sequel blows up. 2023 is just too stacked. Lots of games are going to get passed over, for many people just the games coming out in June will last them the next few months if not longer.

I haven't seen a single ounce of advertising for it, and Game Pass isn't enough to save it from obscurity.

It looks cool, but I would really prefer it be more like EDF where I can reasonably play it alone. Though having drag queens advertise the game basically made me automatically reject the game. Capcom USA (and Capcom at large) can go screw itself and I refuse to touch this shit with a ten foot pole.

2023.03.21-02.24-boundingintocomics-6419be310acbf.png

Drag Storytime vocal commentary tracks confirmed?

nikos

Beta was pretty fun and it's coming to Game Pass so I'll definitely give the full version a shot.

bender

What time is it?
Beta was pretty fun and it's coming to Game Pass so I'll definitely give the full version a shot.

I was watching the latest round or previews and most were pretty positive. I think the issue is going to be Capcom wanting their cake and to eat it too. Another full priced game littered with F2P monetization schemes.

LRKD

Might keep a small niche following, but it'll be too small for Capcom to keep supporting.

pepodmc_

i see this game as something that could have been released in the dreamcast. Im not saying the game in antiquated ,im talking about a feeling of 3d arcade multiplayer game more typical of the dreamcast era than from this era.
But the thing is that i feel that the game will have short legs. Hope im wrong, because i want capcom to continue with his win streak of releases

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Is there a single co-op GaaS PvE that is actually successful? All I see is then being humble success or complete failures. PvP mostly do better.

it's probably a cool game but it will fail. They could have just made a half baked Dino Crisis Multiplayer Survival game and called it a day.

For me is

Dougie Payne Goat GIF by Travis

I hope to be wrong for the sake of the developers as they are the ones who pay the prices (layoffs). For me, it is something that will die in the first 6 months.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Is there a single co-op GaaS PvE that is actually successful? All I see is then being humble success or complete failures. PvP mostly do better.
Destiny...

And yes I know Destiny has PvP as well but honestly it was shit... you can't balance weapons to be effective in both PvE and PvP and when they just said "fuck it" with the trials of the nine it was hilarious.

Outside of that pure PvE Humble successes like DRG or Vermintide 2 would be technically GAAS as they are still updating and releasing seasons of content. The issue is they overmonotise resulting in failures like Darktide when they try to take the modern day PvP F2P shooter monetisation.

Top Bottom