• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

do you think a lion could fuck up a grizzly bear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
xr94Pek.gif

my vote is cat

I like that cat.

kswiston

Polar Bear vs Elephant. Polar Bears are viscous.

An average sized adult male African Elephants weight 10x as much as a big polar bear. The biggest recorded males were around 10 tons. The biggest polar bears are about 3/4 a ton.

Again, you vs a 20lb dog.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Siberian Tigers and the Asian version of Brown Bears have overlapping range. Siberian tigers kill and eat a lot of bears. The Bears steal tiger prey, and sometimes kill tigers as well.

So what you're saying is that, "maybe" was the correct answer.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
1 v 1, a lion has no chance against a Grizzly bear. Grizzlys are fucking monsters.

3N16MA

Banned
Fully grown male Grizzly is going to fuck up a fully grown male Lion. If this is a fight to the death I seriously doubt the lion is going to get it's jaws around a grizzly's neck. Grizzly swipe would cause massive damage.

diamount

Banned
Big cats are the biggest opportunists going. They would never fight anything bigger than them unless their cubs were in danger. But say if it was cruelly staged, then the bear would win. 100% of the time.

Tigress

Wait, wait, wait.

Tigers are actually bigger than lions? Wha? When did this happen??

Siberian tiger is the biggest cat. In fact I looked it up and one site says Siberian tigers are around 700 lbs and another site talking of range of lion sizes has the bigger ones at 400 or so lbs. So bigger by quite a bit. Also, Tigers and lions are very genetically similar and I think they believe they split off from the same species at some point.

I would say if you let the tiger hunt naturally and let them use their typical hunting style involving stealth tiger could win but out right out them against each other grizzly bear is going to win. As for lion I'm not sure.

Oh, as for that vulnerable picture, I believe the tiger when he hunts a bear (not Grizzlies), they jump on their back and break it (but I could be completely wrong on that).

Nah. I think people just don't really get the weight differences between African Elephants and everything else.

maxresdefault.jpg

Elephants just do whatever the hell they want.

Yeah, outside of humans (and potentially other bull elephants) nothing is going to kill a healthy adult elephant. Only extremely desperate predators will go for even young or weak elephants (well, crocodiles will take a shot at a young one if they're close, without being desperate) and even then the success rate is... Not good.

A healthy adult might as well be literally invincible as far as other animals are concerned. I mean look at the fucking things, lol. A big cat for example would have to literally JUMP to get close to anything vulnerable, and even then they're not doing much of anything at all. The elephant on the other hand could pretty much will anything to be dead if it so desired.

DonMigs85

Rhinos are incredibly powerful beasts as well, probably second only to elephants.
Just look how high this warthog gets tossed effortlessly.

200_s.gif

Mumei

This thread just reminded me of Carnivora Forum.

And no, the grizzly bear would win. As for tigers, my understanding is that tiger predation of brown bears is primarily juveniles and females; you wouldn't be likely to see adult male brown bears falling victim, and presumably in these hypotheticals that's what you're talking about. And as kswiston says, a large part of the equation is the ambush.

kswiston

I'm aware. :p

They're actually based off of older depictions of deinonychus, but even then they're much too big (though Lost World actually scaled them down quite a bit).

The Utahraptor discovery was published as the Jurassic Park film was coming out, so it retroactively legitimized their large raptors (even if they were misnamed).

I think they wanted something that was as tall as a man, and even Deinonychus was like 4 feet tall. Their tails just give them a lot of length.

Mumei

You can find pictures of elephants doing the same thing to pretty much every big African animal. They can be assholes.

-513893.jpg

There was a really fascinating case about a decade ago where adolescent male elephants in an area without a dominant bull elephant went a bit crazy on their hormones and started killing by goring them with their tusks. The park managed to solve the problem by flying in two adult males over forty years old, and their presence calmed the adolescents back to equilibrium.

This video of an elephant and a hippo isn't violent; it's just kind of funny.

I've always liked the T. rex vs. African Elephant arguments.

nded

About the most a lion could hope to do before a grizzly caves its skull in is inflict enough damage to cause the bear to bleed out later or die of infection.

kswiston

There was a really fascinating case about a decade ago where adolescent male elephants in an area without a dominant bull elephant went a bit crazy on their hormones and started killing by goring them with their tusks. The park managed to solve the problem by flying in two adult males over forty years old, and their presence calmed the adolescents back to equilibrium.

This video of an elephant and a hippo isn't violent; it's just kind of funny.

I've always liked the T. rex vs. African Elephant arguments.

There's some evidence that Elephants may attack and destroy human villages in Africa in revenge for poaching and other abuse:

http://phys.org/news/2006-02-elephants-revenge.html

Them being so big and so smart is a dangerous combination all around I guess.

ccbfan

As an avid watcher of nature show.

Lions are weak as hell and really only prey on the young, weak or injured.

Plus their greatest strength is hunting in numbers.

Solo? More often than not they're hyena's bitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom