• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think Soul series way of story-telling should be a standard from now on?

spliced

Yes, but sadly I don't believe many developers have the skill to make good games with gameplay and game mechanics as the focus so they use garbage like dialogue, loot and cutscenes to cover up for their inability.

Stardust_Comet

Neo Member
No. There should never be a standard of story telling. The fact that we can enjoy the story telling in any game is because every game has its own way of doing it. We are allowed to have our preferences and even compare to know who did it right and who just fucked up.

Also, to be quite honest, I really did not like how the story was told in the Soul's series. I can accept that others like it, and I would be okay with other companies doing the same thing even if it's not for me (because variety is a great thing). But for me personally, 40% of the appeal for me is the story. On a first play through, I will let the story itself warp me in and then on the second play through I will go in depth on trying to find those little hidden secrets that expand on the world more. If a story relies on me to care enough as soon as I start playing it to go search it out myself, well, I am not going to be interested to learn more.

If this became the standard for story telling in games, I would probably not be interested in gaming for quite a long time. And I know there'd be other people who feel this way because this method of story telling isn't for everyone.

I like Dark Souls for the gameplay, but the storytelling is just lazy. I dont want to watch YouTube videos to understand wtf actually is going on in the game. I can figure out a story in Destiny by reading all that additional stuff too, but I clearly prefer when a game is able to show what its all about.

DS1 is probably one of the best examples of ambient narrative ive ever seen. And the fact that it doesnt need hours of cutscenes or voice work in order to tell a great story is amazing. But you cant expect all games to follow suit. It just would work for alot of titles.

Yes, but sadly I don't believe many developers have the skill to make good games with gameplay and game mechanics as the focus so they use garbage like dialogue, loot and cutscenes to cover up for their inability.
That's silly. You could as well say that devs who aren't good at writing just focus on the gameplay. You also seem to be saying that dialogue, loot and cutscenes are bad things in games, which is simply ridiculous. Variety is a good thing, and no, gameplay isn't even always the most important thing in games (dunno if you've played games like the old adventure games for example).

Yes yes yes.

If I want to be spoonfed story/world background, I can watch a movie.

Dark Souls (mainly 1, less 2) does something only a video game can do: allow you to find your own story. It's immersive, satisfying, and interesting beyond all else.

This is the reason Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time, not the supposed difficulty.
That's cool if you like it, but that doesn't mean it should be a standard. Variety is a good thing.
Also games are very different by nature from movies even with a story focus.

Lux R7

Yes yes yes.

If I want to be spoonfed story/world background, I can watch a movie.

Dark Souls (mainly 1, less 2) does something only a video game can do: allow you to find your own story. It's immersive, satisfying, and interesting beyond all else.

This is the reason Dark Souls is one of my favorite games of all time, not the supposed difficulty.

this.
It is so cool to find something new on a random description and then make a connection.
I want mistery.

Realyn

You mean basically fail at story telling? No thank you. Personally I liked what they did with keeping things vague, but DS2 was far from good story telling.

fwpx

That's like asking me if I want to eat apples for the rest of my life.

I like apples and all, but why would anyone say yes to this?

I love the Souls storytelling but no it should not be a standard.

Agree with you 100%

There shouldn't be a standard. Wtf

Variety and creative freedom all the way man. Ill take the good with the bad as long as people keep taking risks

I love the storytelling in Dark Souls as well but its unique to that series and should remain so... Or better yet they should take risks and challenge themselves to explore other avenues as well

leazo

Banned
No.

The kind of storytelling this series uses suits some kinds of games, but not all of them. Id prefer a mix of heavily story driven in the style of Bioware games or the Witcher series and souls kind of games rather than just one of them, both are worth keeping.

The thing I like about the Soul Series is that a lot of it is ambiguous, which allows for an open interpretation in the community. A lot of the community theories are extremely interesting and I prefer that over a "here's what actually happened" as each person gets to experience it differently.

Well put. There's a wonderful sense of mystery and the unknown that permeates this series, and the unknown is always more compelling than blunt certainty in my view.

But that doesn't mean there isn't room for other methods of narrative delivery. And not every story has to have a sense of mystery for it to be enjoyable.

Top Bottom