• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you think VC on Switch will come out this year?

They're going to discontinue the SNES Mini in March, apologize for the discontinuation, and then say "in the meantime, here's VC for those who missed it".

tbm24

I'm not counting on it but I really really hope it does. Ive bought a number of VC titles across my 3DS and Wii U and I've stomached the fact that I've bought the same ones on both systems at times. If the Switch VC comes out and I don't have access to any of my bought VC games I'm going to be very upset then just sad that Nintendo seems to give no shits about their playerbase.

No and they should kill off the whole Virtual Console name as well.

Just put the games on the Eshop with all the other games, much like they are doing with the Capcom classics and other games. No need to put them behind this extra wall, just create a great store front that highlights and features the classics and start making $$

oti

Banned
They're going to discontinue the SNES Mini in March, apologize for the discontinuation, and then say "in the meantime, here's VC for those who missed it".
There's a difference between consumers who buy a 330€ Switch and consumers who buy a 100€ novelty item SNES mini. At least in theory there is. That's why they definitely should put those SNES games on the Switch eShop.

What you're describing isn't some genius marketing plan. It's sheer incompetence.

Boy the fear is evident in this thread. First off when the original online plan was announced they said WE would get the monthly games at a discounted rate. Hence acknowledging VC is coming to the Switch. They even said they weren't ready to announce VC YET

2nd when the NES classic came out Nintendo said it was for a casual audience & the reason the demand caught them off guard was because they didn't expect their hardcore fans to want it.

I think to prevent the hardcore from buying all the S-N-E-S classics, they will announce VC in a special direct by the first weekend of September.... but it won't be as robust as the lineup available for the S-N-E-S! It'll be a handful of games & balloon fight will be one of them! 😂😂😂

UberTag

I think it's going to happen at the exact same time the subscription service starts, day-and-date.
This is the correct answer. However, that subscription service may be the only way we get games and they'll probably be NES riff-raff for quite a long while.

Based on the way they're promoting the NES games with online added in and Reggie's response to being asked that question, where he avoided using the term Virtual Console at all, I'm kind of inclined to say that we won't see it at all.

I would certainly hope so, but this is Nintendo we're talking about, we love they're games but they hardly do anything right when it comes to things fans want.

Absolutely no reason as to why VC didn't launch with Switch and if it simply wasn't ready, the prudent thing to do was to be transparent with Switch customers and get out in front of it and say "hey, VC is coming to Switch, we can't give a date yet, but customers will be able to purchase titles from these select platforms (NES, SNES,N64)" then when they finally announce the launch date in a Direct they can bring the house down by saying "oh, and one final thing. Gamecube games will also be offered for purchase via VC"

Boom. Nintendo wins the generation and everyone and their mother buys a Switch.

JMY86

Nope not this year the earliest I think we see anything is next year when they roll out the paid online services.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
WIth Snes Classic this year as well as the Online enabled NES/Online Service games i can see VC be a 2018 thing.

It's such a shame too since the switch is the first Nintendo console capable of having a VC for basically all of their consoles, ranging from their portables to home console. Huge missed opportunity

I really don't know what to expect from Nintendo these days. I really hope we see it launch alongside the online service.

I'll be okay with them abandoning the format of the VC they've been using and opting for more of a individual game focus sort of like the Sega 3D Classics from the 3DS or going for a Netflix style service.

Nope. Not with the SNES Mini coming out. My guess is they'll leverage the popularity of NES/SNES Mini to make an even bigger deal about the launch of NES/SNES games on Switch VC in 2018.

Then, maybe we'll see the N64 Classic that fall, which will lead into N64 VC games in 2019.

I don't see Nintendo's slow trickle of VC games changing from the Wii U and 3DS days. It works for them. I bet we'll only see SNES and NES games on VC for the entirety of 2018, with other platforms slowly being introduced in 2019.

Malice215

I'm not surprised that it's taking this long because people want a subscription service and don't want to buy these old games over and over again. VC will come once their online service is ready in 2018.

It's such a shame too since the switch is the first Nintendo console capable of having a VC for basically all of their consoles, ranging from their portables to home console. Huge missed opportunity

The Wii U was doing this before the Switch was announced.

kc44135

Boy the fear is evident in this thread. First off when the original online plan was announced they said WE would get the monthly games at a discounted rate. Hence acknowledging VC is coming to the Switch. They even said they weren't ready to announce VC YET

2nd when the NES classic came out Nintendo said it was for a casual audience & the reason the demand caught them off guard was because they didn't expect their hardcore fans to want it.

I think to prevent the hardcore from buying all the S-N-E-S classics, they will announce VC in a special direct by the first weekend of September.... but it won't be as robust as the lineup available for the S-N-E-S! It'll be a handful of games & balloon fight will be one of them! ������

Yeah, this. Y'all need to chill, and stop fear-mongering. VC has been on every Nintendo system since Wii, and there's no reason to believe it will skip Switch as of right now. It could take a different form (such as a subscription service), but it will be there. As for the NES Mini and SNES Mini, I personally don't believe they're meant to be a replacement for VC. After all, they're limited release systems, and only come with a handful of games with no way to acquire more... which I believe is on purpose.

Here's Nintendo's game-plan as I see it: somebody who's nostalgic for Nintendo but hasn't owned one of their consoles in awhile (or maybe never had one of these systems in the first place) buys an SNES Mini. "Damn, these games are awesome!" , they say, whilst playing Super Mario World and Super Metroid. But then, they realize there are plenty of other awesome SNES games they might want to check out (not to mention other stuff from Nintendo, potentially), but obviously can't with the SNES Mini. Assuming they don't want track down an actual SNES, what do they go out and buy? That's right, baby! A brand new Nintendo Switch with a fully fledged Virtual Console. It's a cheap, effective, nostalgic advertisement for VC and Switch if you ask me.

BigDug13

The fact that the Switch has a portable mode means it offers more capability than any of these classic consoles ever will.

I'd be bummed if that's the reason they won't do it, especially since that runs counter to making the Switch a runaway success. Use its assets!

jts

...hate me...
Don't think so, no.

Maybe by the time NSO launches with online-enabled classic games. I can see it offering discounts on other VC games.

I think they already announced they will only ship SNES mini this year.

Gives even more strength to VC coming in 2018.

timberger

I wish they'd at least confirm whether or not our Wii U/3DS VC purchases will carry over. Now that they have an account system in place, there's no excuse for them not to.

I'm not surprised that it's taking this long because people want a subscription service and don't want to buy these old games over and over again. VC will come once their online service is ready in 2018.

The Wii U was doing this before the Switch was announced.

I'm aware but the Wii U isn't a portable like the Switch is. As nice as the GBA emulation was on Wii U, I want to play those games on a portable. Or at least have the option to.

Minsc

Gold Member
Why, when they can just release a NES Classic 2.0 and SNES Classic 2.0 next year instead. Each year a new NES/SNES Classic hardware with 5-10 different games on it from the last.

Definitely don't see VC coming in 2017, not at all. And 2018? They have their hands full with the subscription service. If that does well, why even bother with VC? There's a ton more money to be made in a monthly subscription than the VC.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NES subscription thing makes more money in its first year than the entire lifetime of 3DS VC sales. At least, it certainly seems feasible, but I'm not really sure how much money the VC on the 3DS really makes, so maybe not.

VC is dead. Classic nintendo systems killed them.

The Snes classics is a proof of that. Nes classic came with more games and better price. Now its more expensive and less games.

Nintendo will keep the vault closed, so they can release these games from time to time to capitalize on nostalgia.

Want Vc?! Buy 3ds and Wii U now, before its over...

This is correct. I said this in the SNES Classic thread. It's clear Nintendo's strategy is changing when it comes to legacy content. They will push devices like the Classic line and services like a Netflix style subscription that they can charge over and over every month on the current devices like Switch.

hatchx

Banned
Why, when they can just release a NES Classic 2.0 and SNES Classic 2.0 next year instead. Each year a new NES/SNES Classic hardware with 5-10 different games on it from the last.

Definitely don't see VC coming in 2017, not at all. And 2018? They have their hands full with the subscription service. If that does well, why even bother with VC? There's a ton more money to be made in a monthly subscription than the VC.

I figured they'd make more money off VC than selling hardware. I know the NES and SNES classics were profitable, but more than a ROM dump?

I think it'd be really, really cruel for Star Fox 2 to be locked to a hard-to-find and limited console for more than 0 days.

This is correct. I said this in the SNES Classic thread. It's clear Nintendo's strategy is changing when it comes to legacy content. They will push devices like the Classic line and services like a Netflix style subscription that they can charge over and over every month and current devices like Switch.

How would a Netflix like services work if you are on a road trip with no wifi?

Malice215

The fact that the Switch has a portable mode means it offers more capability than any of these classic consoles ever will.

I'd be bummed if that's the reason they won't do it, especially since that runs counter to making the Switch a runaway success. Use its assets!

I don't see why they wouldn't offer these games on the Switch. It doesn't make sense to bring out Starfox 2 just to leave it on the SNES Classic, and the Switch can do multiplayer out of the box which is perfect for these old NES/SNES games.

These classic consoles are limited novelty items to raise brand awareness, and the SNES Classic won't be sold past 2017. The real money is bringing people into the Switch ecosystem and to their online service.

I'm aware but the Wii U isn't a portable like the Switch is. As nice as the GBA emulation was on Wii U, I want to play those games on a portable. Or at least have the option to.

I don't see why they wouldn't bring those games that they made available on the Wii U to a more popular console. It just takes time, especially with what they're trying to plan out. MS didn't have BC on day 1 when they switched to new hardware, while Sony gets hate for reselling PS2 games on the PS4 that people already have on the PS3.

I want to play these games too on the Switch. I just don't want to buy them again.

jts

...hate me...

I wouldn't be surprised if the NES subscription thing makes more money in its first year than the entire lifetime of 3DS VC sales. At least, it certainly seems feasible, but I'm not really sure how much money the VC on the 3DS really makes, so maybe not.
You know, of course they can offer hardware variants (like the obscure slimmer versions of NES and SNES), but a lot of the appeal of those classics is the object itself as a collectible. Especially as it's not hard to mod them to get different games there, and arguably a big percentage of the most relevant games of the platforms are already part of the line-up of the first iterations.

Of course, there are people that couldn't get those, so there will still be a market even for simple re-editions, but if they want to to really maximize that market... they would have produced more consoles. Could be argued that the NES' success caught them by surprise, but the SNES already seems geared towards limited production and undersupplying as well.

I don't think they have huge margins on those HDMI consoles with 20-30 titles and 1 or 2 controllers for $60-$80. It's really good value, especially comparing to usual Nintendo offerings, and really feels that it's more of a brand awareness move than anything else.

I figured they'd make more money off VC than selling hardware. I know the NES and SNES classics were profitable, but more than a ROM dump?

I think it'd be really, really cruel for Star Fox 2 to be locked to a hard-to-find and limited console for more than 0 days.

Let's think about the typical consumer - not a GAFer. How many VC games do think those folks buy? How many did casual or even somewhat-core consumers buy on Wii and Wii U? I'm guessing 3 or 4. I'm sure there's a HUGE chuck who bought none or just one to try it. That's $5 to maybe $30. A SNES mini nets Nintendo far more per sale even with the cost of making an actual physical product. They hammer this idea home, with 2.0 and 3.0 versions, for several years. I expect the NES 2.0 to be $100.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I strongly doubt it. The focus will be on SNES Classic and getting the online service up including the game subscription part of it.

Did they ever say such a service was even coming?
In one form or another, yes:
"We know that our fans, our players, want access to all of our digital content, we know that," Nintendo of America president and chief operating officer Reggie Fils-Aime told IGN when asked if the company is interested in bringing Virtual Console to Switch.

According to the Nintendo exec, the company is currently working on finding the best way to deliver its classic content to Switch owners. "What we're working through is, 'okay, what's going to be the best way to make that happen, to make that available?'" Fils-Aime said. "Certainly, we recognize there's an appetite for all of our great legacy content."
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06...rtual-console-we-recognize-theres-an-appetite

I believe it will launch alongside the subscription service or sometime in 2018.

I'm thinking there won't be one. Probably just a subscription service and the minis. Maybe select games will be released on the e shop without any vc branding.

MikeyB

Nintendo makes its own black market. Basic damn economics - demand significantly higher than the legal supply, which is priced significantly higher than the illegal supply.

They are probably pushing to make raspberry pis with or without software illegal.

Nintendo's positioning of the Switch and SNES Classic makes it seem like these bespoke consoles are Nintendo's replacement for the Virtual Console.

From Kotaku http://kotaku.com/nintendo-announces-snes-classic-1796418700

Our long-term efforts are focused on delivering great games for the Nintendo Switch system and continuing to build momentum for that platform, as well as serving the more than 63 million owners of Nintendo 3DS family systems. We are offering Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition in special recognition of the fans who show tremendous interest our classic content.

In one form or another, yes:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06...rtual-console-we-recognize-theres-an-appetite

I believe it will launch alongside the subscription service or sometime in 2018.

I read the full piece and didn't see anything that wasn't likely referencing the subscription service.

How would a Netflix like services work if you are on a road trip with no wifi?

Honestly, I don't think Nintendo cares.

"If you want to play games on the go, we have many wonderful options in the Switch e-shop. For Nintendo, it's all about delivering the highest quality content both at home and on the go, and that means the latest games from our master creators in Japan and our current partners around the world..." blah blah blah marketing speak....

Top Bottom