• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you want crossplay on PS4? Make your voices be heard.

Dude If they can make it so I can turn it off and DO NOT have to create new accounts then they can go for it. However as far as I know this is not the case.
An actual idea would be a seperate company that offers such a service to all platform holders/publishers leaving me with 1 account that would work on several devices, or at least one account that is being given to one additional company. That I could live with.

Also, why does my Junior status matter to you?

You don't have to create new accounts for cross-play, generally speaking.

You have to create a new Microsoft account, or just as likely, use the one you've already got to log into Minecraft to enjoy benefits like cross-play dedicated servers. It's not a new system, but a system that's already in place, and to be fairer to you, I'll concede that while potential 'abuse of this system' is something to think about, I don't see that worry as being entirely founded in this context, where the most you might have to do is make a new Hotmail to play.

CookTrain

Because it's a small minority that keeps pushing for it, the same people can be seen in all 4 threads and probably the most posts in said thread as well.
That just tells me that people don't find it important enough (at least not at the moment from the looks of things).

We're certainly the passionate few. Hopefully for the right reasons.

vpance

I'm sorry I didn't realize Sony and MS were paying gamers to give a shit about who has a larger MAU or root for anti-consumer practices.

If this catches on, and I hope it does, it can have negative long term effects for Sony. My Minecraft loving buddy regrets buying the PS4 version instead of getting it for his Xbox he rarely plays. I'll be hesitant to buy future games on the PS4 that support this feature and all of my PS4 owning friends have noted this decision.

How is it anti consumer when you're free to move to another platform at will? It's a damn business, not everything you want is in the company's best interests. If you think it will fuck over Sony that badly then you really should jump ship to another platform and stop supporting them immediately. I know I would if I was so sure something is about to completely fail.

Stop focusing on gaming for a second and think about other industries and products that compete against one another and realize how absurd it is to request this kind of cooperation, especially given the current disparity in install base numbers. This isn't NAFTA, they are corporations competing for your money.

99Luffy

Banned
MS should get really petty and make a next gen minecraft thats PC/xbox/switch while the ps4 is only ps4.
'Hey were fine with PC crossplay.'
'Sorry we need to protect our users. You guys kinda have a history..'

itsFizz

hey we finally found one that's against crossplay, feel free to start your own petition to remove PS4 PC cross play in games like Rocket League and SF5

The additional petition of course is a joke. It was in line with the hyperbole going on around here lately (like "Xbox x is DOA/Crap", "Every Sony fp game sucks", "Microsoft has no fp->leaves the industry" and such). However my account concerns are real
See my idea on how possibly my concerns could be alleviated here:
An actual idea would be a seperate company that offers such a service to all platform holders/publishers leaving me with 1 account that would ideally work on several devices, or alternatively one account that is being given to one additional company. That I could live with.

vin-buc

So you are saying mine craft players on the PS4 won't care about being left behind with a gimped version. Just because it does not affect a game you play does not mean it could affect 100s of thousands of players.

I was reading on Engadget and they said the update was not coming out now for the PS platforms (alluding to a future date) - I wonder if they were mistaken.

Also - that bedrock update can be made to exclude cross play can't it? Is MSFT gonna leave that PAID DLC money (super duper grafix pack) off the PS player base table? I don't think so - that update is gonna come to PS eventually.

Crayon

They can say yes or no to whatever deal they want. I'm not bothered. But retract that rediculous kids statement and find a way to tell the truth. Just come out with it: you are jealously guarding your userbase. Everybody knows already.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I don't care about crossplay with rival console publishers.

I will support PS1 on PS4 initiative like the PS2 one however.

All i want is for Jim ryan to admit that his excuse is laughable and give everyone the real reason why they don't want to support MS and Nintendo crossplay(they don't want their online advantage to be compromised)

If JIm had not played politician, i don't think it would be as incredulous

First time I ever played a game online on playstation, I was called a sand nigger. and that was before I even opened my mouth. Someone just looked at my NAME and said "you sound like a sand nigger!"

...what?

Do your research Artisan, here is a search words for you "major nelson". Furthermore do people forget about NSA, kinnect and Germany?

Now to your first reply, i am sorry that someone treat you like this. People are stupid animals, what can i say more.

Since the begining of this gen i felt a huge amount of arrogance from MS even post Matrick. I can not stand Spencer's face and the way he tries to spin things. It's just my hunch telling me that I can't trust his mouth.
Many times I've wanted to add xbox to my gaming habits, but Spencer imo is doing a great job turning me the other way around. Just my thoughts.

Edit.
Come to think of late i feel that after Bish left Gaf has changed for the worst. Almost every thread i enter is filled with poison and self etitled people. Wonder if Shinobi was right and he put his last words quite nicely.

Boke1879

my point is the vast majority of consumers who bought those products didn't complain. it was a community of people on the internet who complained and those people don't represent everyone - just like we don't represent everyone.

I get your point, but the DRM thing was much bigger than a community of people. People took to twitter and constantly tweeting Sony execs about this. Hell it go it's own hashtag.

It evolved and became much bigger than GAF or any internet forum. It reached "mainstream" appeal. People going to Gamestop or Best Buy asking about it.

So far we've only had like a couple journalists ask about it and the complaining has been isolated to message boards. Mostly from people either "defending" the decision or using it as another point in the fanboy console wars.

Unfortunately. I don't think people truly care enough about it right now.

Again. I thank the OP for making this thread. If anyone does care they have every method available to make their voices heard.

See my idea on how possibly my concerns could be alleviated here:

Now, that's a pipe-dream.

The reason Minecraft requires a Microsoft account is because it's Microsoft's means (Microsoft being the owner and manager of Minecraft) by which to enable things like cross-play dedicated servers, cross-platform invites, and platform-agnostic DLC purchases.

A separate service would suffice, but Microsoft already has a service in place that can provide this functionality, and the only hang-up with that is that some of you take pause with the very concept of logging into an MS account inside of a game you're playing on your Sony. We wouldn't be having this convo if Microsoft just set up 'Minecraft accounts', but again, why do that when you've got a service and infrastructure in place that will serve your needs already.

I'll tell you what, though. I call it a pipe-dream but what you suggested really would be the best way to enable cross-play. I just don't think it's possible. There's reasons Minecraft is using a Microsoft account over a new, bespoke solution, and no, MAU shenanigans aren't it. (Well, not the only it, lol.)

daman824

This WILL become a bigger issue when the minecraft update comes out and the PS4 is one of the worst versions of the game

We're certainly the passionate few. Hopefully for the right reasons.
enabling this would allow me to play Minecraft with my friend on Xbone; I first discovered Minecraft playing it with him way back in 2012/3 on 360. Being able to do that would be awesome imo. Would that be so wrong...?
How is it anti consumer when you're free to move to another platform at will? It's a damn business, not everything you want is in the company's best interests. If you think it will fuck over Sony that badly then you really should jump ship to another platform and stop supporting them immediately. I know I would if I was so sure something is about to completely fail.

Stop focusing on gaming for a second and think about other industries and products that compete against one another and realize how absurd it is to request this kind of cooperation, especially given the current disparity in install base numbers. This isn't NAFTA, they are corporations competing for your money.
it's anti consumer because it goes against the wishes of the consumers, shutting PsN out from the rest of the online communities while the rest are being unified not only that but in the case of Minecraft it is costing playstation users the most complete version of the game

it's not absurd when the competition ARE collaborating. the "big three" has always referred to sony, mS and nintendo. two out of the three are now working together, making games online better, which is pro-consumer.

quickwhips

Imagine loading up a game from the beginning of the generation with a small user base. You are more likely to find a game if you can search all platforms. Right now with popular games it doesn't matter but it will keep communities alive for longer.

Yes, Nintendo, Apple and Google think it's absurd as well... Or are they just dumb?

Do your research Artisan, here is a search words for you "major nelson". Furthermore do people forget about NSA, kinnect and Germany?

Now to your first reply, i am sorry that someone treat you like this. People are stupid animals, what can i say more.

Since the begining of this gen i felt a huge amount of arrogance from MS even post Matrick. I can not stand Spencer's face and the way he tries to spin things. It's just my hunch telling me that I can't trust his mouth.
Many times I've wanted to add xbox to my gaming habits, but Spencer imo is doing a great job turning me the other way around. Just my thoughts.

Edit.
Come to think of late i feel that after Bish left Gaf has changed for the worst. Almost every thread i enter is filled with poison and self etitled people. Wonder if Shinobi was right and he put his last words quite nicely.

Your suggestion that XBL's entire playerbase is tainted and not fit for interaction with PSN players like you is about as toxic as anything else I've seen in this thread. You're pretty amiable about it, tho, so I can't fault you there. I still consider that just silly. There's no massive behavioral gulf between PSN users and XBL users, or if there is, one personal anecdote certainly does not constitute evidence toward that end.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
For those asking "why would anyone want this", there are two main reasons:

1. So people can play with friends who are on different platforms. I have different friends who own different systems, and it would be nice if I don't have to double-dip on a game to play with all of them, and can play with all of them at the same time.

2. Increasing the player pool will extend the online life of games. This will benefit smaller games especially.

For me, the first point in particular is a pretty big deal. I own PS4, Xbox One and Switch, and if Sony continues this stance it will definitely make buying multiplat games on PS4 less attractive for me.

I get your point, but the DRM thing was much bigger than a community of people. People took to twitter and constantly tweeting Sony execs about this. Hell it go it's own hashtag.

It evolved and became much bigger than GAF or any internet forum. It reached "mainstream" appeal. People going to Gamestop or Best Buy asking about it.

So far we've only had like a couple journalists ask about it and the complaining has been isolated to message boards. Mostly from people either "defending" the decision or using it as another point in the fanboy console wars.

Unfortunately. I don't think people truly care enough about it right now.

Again. I thank the OP for making this thread. If anyone does care they have every method available to make their voices heard.
You have a point here as well but others have said in one of these threads that maybe right now this won't take off but if this trend continues then more people may chime in; when the Minecraft dlc rolls around maybe then Minecraft's playstation community will be more upset by it.
I'm doing well! Mostly just been sitting back watching the chaos unfold around e3 time.

Good to see you flying the flag of logic and reason in a number of these threads. Definitely something that GAF needs in times like these.
For sure. I have been fighting this fight in 6 threads now lol; while of course not everyone will agree I always want to make sure to keep a mutual respect with everyone (we are all adults here)

CookTrain

enabling this would allow me to play Minecraft with my friend on Xbone; I first discovered Minecraft playing it with him way back in 2012/3 on 360. Being able to do that would be awesome imo. Would that be so wrong...?

Not even a little bit wrong. I more meant that we're vindicated in short order than having good motives :p

Maybe I do just think too much of myself on this matter, but I really can't understand the apathy towards an industry shift like that. People who lose their mind about framerates and pixel pushing yet sleep at the prospect of multiplayer becoming a standard rather than a limit... goodness me it's exciting times.

Ummm because Sony does? And they aren't in the business of helping MS gain MAU? It's not that hard to understand folks.
ummm man I am paying sony for these products not the other way around, I do not give a fuck about mS's MAU. we are ALL on the consumer end of the market here so there is zero reason to care more about sony's perspective unless you're a stakeholder or something

Roronoa95

If Sony didn't have their huge install-base, some of the answers would have been different here...

People are defending corporations interest instead of consumer interest, what a joke.

For those asking "why would anyone want this", there are two main reasons:

1. So people can play with friends who are on different platforms. I have different friends who own different systems, and it would be nice if I don't have to double-dip on a game to play with all of them, and can play with all of them at the same time.

2. Increasing the player pool will extend the online life of games. This will benefit smaller games especially.

For me, the first point in particular is a pretty big deal.

3. Cross-play is going to change Minecraft in a massive way and it'd be nice to open up the doors for games that would benefit similarly, although many, many games will only benefit from a larger matchmaking pool and the sometimes limited ability to play with friends across platforms (RL, for example, lets you cross-platform party up for exhibition matches, but not matchmaking)

Not even a little bit wrong. I more meant that we're vindicated in short order than having good motives :p

Maybe I do just think too much of myself on this matter, but I really can't understand the apathy towards an industry shift like that. People who lose their mind about framerates and pixel pushing yet sleep at the prospect of multiplayer becoming a standard rather than a limit... goodness me it's exciting times.
perhaps you misunderstood sir; if I understood your post correctly (which I think I did), then the purpose of my post was to simply further prove your point =]

xam3l

And you can spread dank memes and hope they catch on.

aA3gzk6.png

Os memes mais danques!!!!

Ok I need to know the context of this image lol

zewone

I'd be more confident in this working if Boyes and Co were still at Sony. As it stands I don't think guys like Jim Ryan or Shawn Layden care about this stuff unless it actually effects their business.

It seems to be a vocal minority that cares about this. I don't see it gaining a bunch of traction.

CookTrain

It seems to be a vocal minority that cares about this. I don't see it gaining a bunch of traction.

For now.

"Mommy, why can't I play on the big public Minecraft servers with Timmy and Johnny?"
"Because Sony said no"

There's a tidal wave coming. Get your wellies ready!

it's anti consumer because it goes against the wishes of the consumers, shutting PsN out from the rest of the online communities while the rest are being unified not only that but in the case of Minecraft it is costing playstation users the most complete version of the game
I believe it is something that benefits the consumer but your reasoning is flawed here. If your going to hang on it being anti consumer because it goes against the wishes of the consumer then this thread is proving you wrong. More than twice as many people don't care or are not on favor of it compared to the number of people who do. So if you want to go by the will of the consumer, they don't want it.

There's already a healthy online population on the PS4, add me to the "who cares" group.

I have more of a problem with my Ps1 classics purchases being stuck on Ps3.

I'm just so excited!
tumblr_n8jic2w7Mf1smhkk8o1_400.gif

I believe it is something that benefits the consumer but your reasoning is flawed here. If your going to hang on it being anti consumer because it goes against the wishes of the consumer then this thread is proving you wrong. More than twice as many people don't care or are not on favor of it compared to the number of people who do. So if you want to go by the will of the consumer, they don't want it.
I was thinking about this while I was writing my post; most people in the thread who said that they don't care, didn't specifically say they don't want it. They just said they don't care and left it at that so theyre neutral; most people in the thread that have an opinion that takes a side have said yes they do want it

What you perceive as a vocal minority will become bigger than you've seen up to now as the Minecraft 'Better Together' updates near release. 'Better Together' will do more for Minecraft's huge (and formerly fragmented) online communities than any previous update to the game, and cross-play is at the crux of that. When players are enabled by the Better Together update to play with friends regardless of platform, on massive MMO-like servers where they can build a presence together, you can be certain they'll begin to talk more about why they can't do that with other games, especially in an era where more developers seem open to it and capable of bringing it.

I'm sure those of you reading these threads have noticed that I fixate on Minecraft specifically a lot; that's because I concede that cross-play for a game like Rocket League (in its current form) isn't the most compelling thing in the world, because it just enlarges the matchmaking pool. However, there's a number of games where just that would make a difference, and a number of games that can take their cross-play implementations further than Rocket League if persued.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I was reading on Engadget and they said the update was not coming out now for the PS platforms (alluding to a future date) - I wonder if they were mistaken.

Also - that bedrock update can be made to exclude cross play can't it? Is MSFT gonna leave that PAID DLC money (super duper grafix pack) off the PS player base table? I don't think so - that update is gonna come to PS eventually.

Part of the point of the update is to get rid of as many different versions as possible to make support simpler and more cost effective. To give Sony a special version just defeats the point. This is on Sony period. Sony could refund every Minecraft and dlc purchase that be fair solution.

I was thinking about this while I was writing my post; most people in the thread who said that they don't care, didn't specifically say they don't want it. They just said they don't care and left it at that so theyre neutral; most people in the thread that have an opinion that takes a side have said yes they do want it
I said don't care or don't want it though. They can't be bothered in the end. It's not the will of the consumer at this point. It's a vocal minority for now.

Super Duper Grafix Pack is free and included w/the Bedrock update on all applicable platforms.

The Bedrock update is meant to unify Minecraft's development and bring all versions to feature parity. Cross-play enables unfragmented massive MMO-like servers with persistent worlds which can house thousands of players. Backed by online communities: server-specific websites, discussion forums, and the like.

Without cross-play, the PS4 version can't benefit from the most major elements of the Bedrock upgrade, from our perspective and from the developers.

zewone

Part of the point of the update is to get rid of as many different versions as possible to make support simpler and more cost effective. To give Sony a special version just defeats the point. This is on Sony period. Sony could refund every Minecraft and dlc purchase that be fair solution.

You have to sign into Xbox Live for cross play. From a business stand point, you can possibly tell why Sony wouldn't want that.

Do you think MS would be as open if it required you to sign into PSN?

vpance

ummm man I am paying sony for these products not the other way around, I do not give a fuck about mS's MAU. we are ALL on the consumer end of the market here so there is zero reason to care more about sony's perspective unless you're a stakeholder or something

If something you want basically isn't possible because of simple business reasons then why would you keep crying for it?

Top Bottom