• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 10 |OT| He's Back, and It's About Time

I'm forgetting what even happened in The Pilot. I thought that girl had died?

It's still out there traveling. The girl is part of it, and may be somewhat aware based on her last words. I get the impression that they convinced it that Bill still wanted to live life as she was.

It's speculation, but you never know.

I know that it's pure speculation so it doesn't belong behind spoiler tags.

It's a good guess, too! I'd totally forgotten they left that hanging. It's definitely a loose end that Moffat could tie off if he wanted. Question is whether or not he wanted.

The notion that Bill's ending is journeying all over space and time with the Pilot in some sort of symbiotic union is a happy-ish ending, I guess? So long as it maintains the form of the girl she was crushing on?

It's a good guess, too! I'd totally forgotten they left that hanging. It's definitely a loose end that Moffat could tie off if he wanted. Question is whether or not he wanted.

No worries, just being extra careful.

LordRaptor

It's still out there traveling. The girl is part of it, and may be somewhat aware based on her last words. I get the impression that they convinced it that Bill still wanted to live life as she was.

Yeah, I can see there being some kind of conclusion that isn't exactly miserable, but reversing being an actual cyberman and all the implications that has doesn't seem fixable without cheats

Yeah, I can see there being some kind of conclusion that isn't exactly miserable, but reversing being an actual cyberman and all the implications that has doesn't seem fixable without cheats

She's still in there, though. "I'm Bill. I waited for you" (roll tear) tells me she's not 100% all gone. And being as she's apparently the very first Cyberman ever (or at least the show seems to suggest that's the case?) maybe that means they can deprogram enough of her that she can tool around the galaxy w/ the Pilot & her answering machine heart.

The Pilot from the first episode this season is still in play.

In any case, I don't think she's coming back to Earth. But she can be happy.

well, it would then make sense why moff gave some random blob the ability to move through time and space, since they're in the past right now.

Well she wouldn't be fixed, she would merge with the pilot, be with the girl she had a connection with, and travel space and time. She's done being human. And she can always visit the Doctor wherever and whenever.

Oh shit, that's right, her physical being doesn't even matter at that point.

This is good stuff, Hands. I kinda hope it plays this way now. It's a good ending for Bill as opposed to "Welp, the Doctor lost, she's a Cyberman now"

LordRaptor

Oh shit, that's right, her physical being doesn't even matter at that point.

This is good stuff, Hands. I kinda hope it plays this way now. It's a good ending for Bill as opposed to "Welp, the Doctor lost, she's a Cyberman now"

Maybe a "not quite so crappy ending for Bill", but removing everything that makes someone human from the very first cyberman is, you know, probably not going to be chalked up as a win for the Doctor

I love how absurd it was that the Master saw the Doctor on screen and formulated a plan that involved him creating a disguise and an identity that would become trusted enough by the hospital staff to allow him full access. All so he could hide who he was from Bill. Not only that he then spent YEARS in that disguise.

That's some next-level psychosis in action.

zeemumu

That was awesome. Can't wait to see the next part. Slightly confused

I love how absurd it was that the Master saw the Doctor on screen and formulated a plan that involved him creating a disguise and an identity that would become trusted enough by the hospital staff to allow him full access. All so he could hide who he was from Bill. Not only that he then spent YEARS in that disguise.

I don't think years are much to a time lord

I could only think about how amazing that reveal would've been if no one knew he was back. Seriously. It would've been breathtaking.

I had forgotten the news that he'd be returning so I was fairly shocked.

liquidtmd

Banned

I thought the year he was PM got deleted, so she wouldn't even recognise him anyway.

"Hey it's you! I loved you in Life On Mars!"

The notion that Bill's ending is journeying all over space and time with the Pilot in some sort of symbiotic union is a happy-ish ending, I guess? So long as it maintains the form of the girl she was crushing on?

That would probably be the best outcome for her now, as her body is gone, so her soul or whatever joining with The Pilot and the girl she liked would be the best ending she could get but still sad too, as technically she still died.

I'd be happy with that ending.

Dalek

Super behind on the show-watching Lie of the Land right now. Just wanted to say that I love Nardole and Bill. What great additions to the cast. I hope Nardole comes back next season.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Just started season 8, episode 1. I like the new doctor. I like how they have introduced this one as a bit mad and a bit angry. I loved the phone call at the end for the 11th, it really gave you a lot of feels for the new doctor and how scared he is inside, basically turning the tables of the episode which seemed to be about Clara's bullshit emotions, and made you realize the real scared one is the doctor.

What I did not like is the stupid slap stick humor and "funny" sound effects they used. Seriously what happen to some of the writing?

Just started season 8, episode 1. I like the new doctor. I like how they have introduced this one as a bit mad and a bit angry. I loved the phone call at the end for the 11th, it really gave you a lot of feels for the new doctor and how scared he is inside, basically turning the tables of the episode which seemed to be about Clara's bullshit emotions, and made you realize the real scared one is the doctor.

What I did not like is the stupid slap stick humor and "funny" sound effects they used. Seriously what happen to some of the writing?

Deep Breath is a bit of a mixed bag. Definitely not my favorite Doctor introduction story.

I remember watching the season trailer and thinking Bill seemed annoying, but she grew on me as the season went along. Really interested to see how things go now.

I watch every week but don't follow the news or rumors online or anything so everything that happens in the episodes are surprises to me! It's fun.

Davide

Is it confirmed that Pearl's leaving? She's been the best companion since Donna and in clear contention for best companion of the show. It'd be a shame to move on from her so quickly.

Personally, she and Donna are my two least favorites. She had the worst companion intro episode, that didn't help.

Davide

Bill is the only forgettable NuWho companion and Donna is top two or three ever.

Opinions are like assholes, and all that.
Yeah Bill's absolutely forgettable IMO, while I can see people liking Donna. I don't think she's a bad character, just a preference.

Clara's was one of my favourites but she was also the most inconsistent. Series 8 Clara is like a different Clara from 7.

Pluto

Donna's the best companion, she was great.

Amy was killed by a weeping Angel and Clara was killed too, so it's like companions haven't been killed before.
Amy wasn't killed by an angel, she was send to the past, had a family, became a published writer and lived for decades before passing away. Clara technically died but now get's to live in the moment right before her death for as long as she wants with her own Tardis to explore the universe. She can do this for 10.000 years if she wants to, she will only die when she herself ultimately chooses to return to the moment of her death

Mr. Sam

I'm with Crab - Donna and Bill are my top two.

The Mondasian cybermen were so well realised that I'm genuinely disappointed we'll be getting the full-on suits for the finale.

MrBadger

I believe he was still PM but everything after the rift opening was erased.

Correct. He was also in the public spotlight before then, while he was campaigning. And since he brainwashed everyone into liking him, I imagine some people would remember his face.

The Mondasian cybermen were so well realised that I'm genuinely disappointed we'll be getting the full-on suits for the finale.

Me too. I was hoping they'd stick with the creepy cloth faces for the whole thing. I wonder how the various other Cybermen we've seen come into play

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

I have to agree. Cyberman live or die by how body-horror they are. When they start being space Nazis, they're just redundant - the Daleks do it better.

Khoryos

Missy naming the companions Expostion and ComicRelief was a little too on the nose

It's even worse than that - she doesn't name them, she genders them.

The whole episode was great, but that line was a definite high point.

I have to agree. Cyberman live or die by how body-horror they are. When they start being space Nazis, they're just redundant - the Daleks do it better.

Honestly, that does kind of annoy me a bit - Doctor Who consistently shits all over transhumanism, and Cybermen are one of the main ways they do it.

PMurphy1978

Neo Member
My Son loves Doctor Who, and I've been watching this tenth series with him religiously. I've dipped in and out most of Nu-Who but Capaldi's run is where I've spent most of my time.

This episode was incredible, the pacing, the score and even though we knew it was coming, the ending.

The questions for me though are:

Is the Doctor going to actually regenerate in the finale? And will we see 13?
Where is Simm's master supposed to have done this? After the events of End of Time?
Why doesn't Missy remember? Is it that timeline memory nonsense they pulled in Day of the Doctor?

Bluth54

My Son loves Doctor Who, and I've been watching this tenth series with him religiously. I've dipped in and out most of Nu-Who but Capaldi's run is where I've spent most of my time.

This episode was incredible, the pacing, the score and even though we knew it was coming, the ending.

The questions for me though are:

Is the Doctor going to actually regenerate in the finale? And will we see 13?
Where is Simm's master supposed to have done this? After the events of End of Time?
Why doesn't Missy remember? Is it that timeline memory nonsense they pulled in Day of the Doctor?

For 3 it's just sort of a thing that time lords don't remembered what happens to them in an event with multiple versions, otherwise they would be able to quickly and easily overcome whatever threat they're facing and it would be a pretty boring team up.

The weird thing is that in Day of the Doctor, 11 can remember some of it - or at least, he definitely has a recollection of sorts when he sees the wormhole in the Undergallery. But then he definitely doesn't remember the rest.

And then, in Time of the Doctor (ugh), he clearly doesn't remember his conversation with the Curator/the retired Doctor about Gallifrey being OK, though he definitely has what he passes off as a massive hunch that that's the case. So. Wibbly wobbly.

Missy is a regeneration before Derek Jacobi -> John Simm.
That's outright contradicted within this episode itself, not to mention what we learned about Missy in Death in Heaven. We know that past Doctors don't tend to remember their adventures with their future selves, so the same probably applies here.

LordRaptor

That's outright contradicted within this episode itself

It seemed to me that that was what he was explicitly saying. I'll have to rewatch that bit I guess.
ARAIR, they do remember what happened, but only 'the oldest' one does when they meet and its all over.
e:
So Matt Smith remembers the 50th special, but Tennant / Hurt don't until they're Matt Smith and its all over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tim Piggot-Smith! Thats who I thought was under the make up. Not for any big reveal, just looked like him.

Sadly I just googled and apparantly he died in April this year.

It seemed to me that that was what he was explicitly saying. I'll have to rewatch that bit I guess.
ARAIR, they do remember what happened, but only 'the oldest' one does when they meet and its all over.
The Master tells Missy that he's "worried about his future", and Missy refers to him as "the ex". Simm came before Gomez.

Dryk

Yeah usually after the most recent incarnation experiences the multi-Time Lord event the memories unlock and they remember all of their perspectives from then on. Except for when they cheated in Time Crash.

Top Bottom