• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

TyrantII

Awesome episode all around. The last three are really what they needed to get back to, especially production wise.

Only grip is Capaldi should have used "Spoliers" instead of "hello sweetie" when Kingston realizes the doctor is The Doctor. Especially with the tension of the cyborg in the room looking for him.

demtowersngar5.gif

And damn, Milk knocking it out of the park with the VFX.

Makes up for the fucking awful effects when the big red robot body took it's head off. WTF was that

Razmos

I might have laughed when I saw that the town in the episode was just Trap Street where Clara died, covered in christmas decorations, real subtle.

This was the first River episode I've enjoyed since, I suppose, the season 6 opener. It was a story that actually had a consistent plot, it wasn't yet another end of the universe scenario, and River was closer to how she acted in "Silence in the Library". Most of the episode was a fun romp, and the ending was a nice emotional moment.

GSR

Solid episode; Capaldi and Kingston together are a fantastic pairing, and Capaldi getting a mostly comic episode has been well missed. The ending was slightly awkward due to watching with two parents who didn't really know River's story.

One criticism I do have: I love Murray Gold as much as the next fellow, but goodness was he shoving the music in our faces. I rolled my eyes a bit when River opens the box with the screwdriver and the music just switches to blaring part of the Silence in the Library score without so much as a rest.

Great episode, very fun and I enjoyed the "monster" as well as the plot because it was much more light-hearted fare. Also a very touching end and glad Moffat seems to have wrapped up River's story.

Really enjoyed the music in this one, too.

Slime

Banned
I'm so happy Moffat actually did this episode, because I assumed it was off the table after "Last Night," and was let down that he relegated this moment he seemed to be building toward to a minisode most people didn't watch. After Name of the Doctor I just assumed River was gone for good.

This was a lot of fun and one of the best episodes of NuWho ever. The ending was beautiful. I'm a bit bummed Capaldi didn't get more screen time with River (a full series would have been lovely), but at the same time I wouldn't change anything about this.

Perfect.

Eurgh, just give up on Sherlock already. The two stars are too busy for a regular schedule and bending over backwards for 3 episodes is just an insane waste of resources. The show is nothing but a vanity project for all involved. We got 1 cliffhanger that was never resolved and the next episode will ignore the last one.
Just can the damn show already or make it 1 a year.
Sherlock's enormously popular and successful- indeed, series 3 got Britain's highest drama ratings this decade, and it's achieved huge international sales. The BBC would have to be high not to demand as much as Moffat's capable of producing.

Absolutely loved this episode! I had a huge smile on my face the entire time. Alex Kingston and Peter Capaldi had fantastic chemistry. Even more so then Smith and Alex did. I just wish there was someway we could get more River and Twelve adventures. So I'm doing a River Song marathon this wekend.

M.Bluth

I'm going to guess season 2 ending, which means he entirely missed the point of The Empty Hearse*.

*not that I think Empty Hearse is a great Sherlock episode by any means
That was definitely explained and resolved.

Ah, I'm not sure how I'd take it if Chibnall took over. Never liked any of his Doctor Who episodes.
I only watched the 1st series of Broadchurch, which was great, but it's not exactly similar.

Anyway, I hope we get info on series 10 as soon as possible.

Ah, I'm not sure how I'd take it if Chibnall took over. Never liked any of his Doctor Who episodes.
I only watched the 1st series of Broadchurch, which was great, but it's not exactly similar..

Dunno how reassuring this might be, but I remember him doing a fair amount of work on Torchwood S1 & 2.

But his work on Broadchurch S1 was pretty damned extraordinary. And Torchwood S1/2 was a LONG time ago now.

Quick

Banned
Put me in the camp of "I don't know how to react to this" with the scenario of Chibnall taking over.

I loved Broadchurch S1 and his Doctor Who credits are inoffensive (Power of Three is a standout).

Where's my boy Whithouse?! lol

Bluth54

Put me in the camp of "I don't know how to react to this" with the scenario of Chibnall taking over.

I loved Broadchurch S1 and his Doctor Who credits are inoffensive (Power of Three is a standout).

Where's my boy Whithouse?! lol

Has Toby Whithouse ever been a showrunner? I though he was just a writer. I doubt BBC would let anyone do their first showrunning job on Doctor Who it's too important of a franchise for them.

Quick

Banned
Has Toby Whithouse ever been a showrunner? I though he was just a writer. I doubt BBC would let anyone do their first showrunning job on Doctor Who it's too important of a franchise for them.

He ran Being Human.

I was mostly joking about my comment on him.

tomtom94

Chibnall, I suspect, would be a lot like Moffat: a good writer with some polarising ideas.

He's probably one of the main people responsible for the camp factor of Torchwood series 1 but he's also one of the driving forces behind its improvement in series 2 (most notably the fantastic episode 'Adrift', which plays in hindsight a lot like his writing audition for Broadchurch). His Doctor Who episodes run the gamut from the mediocre (42) to the actually pretty good (the Silurian two-parter and The Power of Three). And of course Broadchurch series 1 is fantastic even if series 2 gets kind of silly, so who knows.

He isn't as immediately reassuring as some other names but he's got enough in the locker. I'd be okay with it.

Santiako

Capaldi and Kingston were fantastic together, they had much better chemistry than she and Matt Smith ever did. They also worked much better as a pairing, the age difference with Matt was always a bit odd when they were together.

Rymuth

Good episode. Best thing was seeing Capaldi laughing. His Doctor has been through so much GrimDark shit, it's hard to recall when we have ever heard him laugh.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yeah, don't buy into anything Rich Johnston says.

He reported a couple years ago that basically every missing episode of Classic Who was recovered from some TV station in Africa.

He's full of shit 99% of the time.

I loved The Husbands of River Song a lot. River is one of my faves and it looks like we might almost be out of River eps soon :(

Damn , this episode...
It started goofy , then it was typical of a certain "who" flavor , then it went crazy and at the end i loved it...
Damn , all those feels at the restaurant

LOVED IT.

This is the send-off of river song and they've done it very well .. clearly one of the best christmas episode i've seen since 2005

Hex

Banned
Damn , this episode...
It started goofy , then it was typical of a certain "who" flavor , then it went crazy and at the end i loved it...
Damn , all those feels at the restaurant

LOVED IT.

This is the send-off of river song and they've done it very well .. clearly one of the best christmas episode i've seen since 2005

Definitely enjoyed it alot, but had to go and immediately watch the Library right after.

Guri

Guys, I'm not sure if this is worldwide, but Netflix removed seasons 1-7 in Brazil. They said it is in the process of renewal. My question is: has this happened before? Removing and a few months later, adding it back?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Who's Jim the fish?
Then there’s Jim the Fish. In “The Impossible Astronaut,” River and the Doctor synchronize their diaries, referring to various unseen adventures, and referencing someone called Jim the Fish, who the Doctor claimed was “still building his dam.”

While we’ve still not met this piscine chum, in the Doctor Who game “The Eternity Clock,” there’s an extract from River Song’s diary, which contains the following detail of a night out with Jim and the Doctor:

“There was this one time – 48th century I think, in a bar run by the Brotherhood of Maldovar – my sweetheart took Jim and me out for karaoke. I don’t remember much, it was all a blur – but I do remember ‘Islands in the Stream’ and the video recorder. We lost the tape afterwards. Never even gave it a second’s thought, I don’t think.

“‘Til today. We just unearthed a series of paintings on huge sandstone slabs. We’re not totally sure how they were formed – but that’s him – that’s Jim the Fish in that suit in that bar singing that song, gils flaring, teeth sparkling under the glitterball.

“Each tablet seems to represent a different line in the song. There are symbols, and Sssibeth says he’s seen something like them before. He read the words ‘peace unknown,’ ‘tender love,’ ‘dedication’… We think these people built some sort of religion of love around the images. Oh, Jim! I’m just grateful that the parts of the video featuring me don’t seem to be represented, but we’re still digging!”​

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophen...may-not-know-about-the-husbands-of-river-song

Then there’s Jim the Fish. In “The Impossible Astronaut,” River and the Doctor synchronize their diaries, referring to various unseen adventures, and referencing someone called Jim the Fish, who the Doctor claimed was “still building his dam.”

While we’ve still not met this piscine chum, in the Doctor Who game “The Eternity Clock,” there’s an extract from River Song’s diary, which contains the following detail of a night out with Jim and the Doctor:

“There was this one time – 48th century I think, in a bar run by the Brotherhood of Maldovar – my sweetheart took Jim and me out for karaoke. I don’t remember much, it was all a blur – but I do remember ‘Islands in the Stream’ and the video recorder. We lost the tape afterwards. Never even gave it a second’s thought, I don’t think.

“‘Til today. We just unearthed a series of paintings on huge sandstone slabs. We’re not totally sure how they were formed – but that’s him – that’s Jim the Fish in that suit in that bar singing that song, gils flaring, teeth sparkling under the glitterball.

“Each tablet seems to represent a different line in the song. There are symbols, and Sssibeth says he’s seen something like them before. He read the words ‘peace unknown,’ ‘tender love,’ ‘dedication’… We think these people built some sort of religion of love around the images. Oh, Jim! I’m just grateful that the parts of the video featuring me don’t seem to be represented, but we’re still digging!”​

http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophen...may-not-know-about-the-husbands-of-river-song

So probably an option for a Big Finish Production

obin_gam

Capaldi speculates S10 will be his last
“This could be my final year – it’s terrifying,” he told the Telegraph. “I love Doctor Who but it can be quite an insular world and I do want to do other things. There will come a time when this is over. But I knew that when I started. I was thinking about my regeneration scene from the outset. That’s my terrible melancholic nature. When you accept the job you know there’ll come a day, inevitably, when you’ll be saying goodbye.”

It feels he just took the part yesterday. Three years is too soon.

gabbo

Capaldi speculates S10 will be his last

It feels he just took the part yesterday. Three years is too soon.

I'm sure three years could end up being stretched out if the show does the half year breaks.
It's just his thought for that matter, not a guarantee. Though, maybe he'll leave when Moffatt does. Clear the way for a new guy?

edit: As for the episode, it was actually, well, good. A first for a River episode (and seemingly her send off) in a long time. I think it had to do with she and Capaldi not playing lovey-dovey with each other for nearly an hour with all kinds of little gags about it. The Doctor not being burdened with that, as was they're usual post-Pond/River, was actually quite nice. I wish they could retroactively build their onscreen relationship like this, because it I almost want more of River now (but only a little bit). Capaldi getting to play the Doctor as loveable scamp who's got to dance around hiding himself in plain sight was quite fun to watch. The man is amazing at this role.

Plot was throw-away for the most part, and less Christmas themed than previous years, but this seemed like it was the River send off that happen to air a Christmas instead of a Christmas episode that happen to feature River.

Moffatt - forever inconsistent

Philippo

This was much, much, much better than i expected.

Had me laughing the whole time, Capaldi/Kingston is a match made in heaven.

Still, hope this close River's arc once and for all, hell she got 3 closures to her story.

Mariolee

Maybe the reason for me that Capaldi's run has felt so short is because this season has consisted of two parters so it technically consists of fewer adventures?

IMO his run has felt short because people have been speculating on his departure from the very first moment we caught a glimpse of Capaldi's besuited hand in the live casting announcement special.

Maybe the reason for me that Capaldi's run has felt so short is because this season has consisted of two parters so it technically consists of fewer adventures?

It feels like he doesn't have as much screen time in the episodes he's in relative to other Doctors to me. Might be wrong.

Trike

I really liked the Christmas special. I think it may be my favorite. At first I was worried because of the retcon, but they explain it with a line that makes sense. It was just a fun episode.

Top Bottom