• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series 9 |OT| Let Zygons Be Zygons

KiN0

Very nice episode. Kingston works so much better with Capaldi than Smith. Her zaniness plays off his grumpiness really well. I'm kind of sad we're never going to see them together again.

I suspect that Capaldi doesn't know whether he's leaving after next series or not because Moffat will probably have gone by then, and without any successor yet having even appointed he can't possibly know whether he will still be wanted in the role by the new boss or not.

He's made it very clear that he wants to carry on playing the Doctor as long as he's able.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I suspect that Capaldi doesn't know whether he's leaving after next series or not because Moffat will probably have gone by then, and without any successor yet having even appointed he can't possibly know whether he will still be wanted in the role by the new boss or not.

He's made it very clear that he wants to carry on playing the Doctor as long as he's able.

He does seem to absolutely love playing The Doctor. It's really fun to see videos of the outside events he does.

It's a good question why there is a widespread feeling that Peter Capaldi has only just got started. I wonder if that impression, which I share, will remain once time has passed.

Series 9 was magnificent, though I'm not sure we didn't lose something when the show dropped the mid-series break that made Series 6 so bouncy and energetic.

A couple of weeks ago I thought Heaven Sent would get the Hugo nomination as a single episode and would be highly favoured to win the category. Now on reflection I wonder if the really strong finale, Hell Bent, would not be more likely to shine. While Heaven Sent really showcases Capaldi's strengths as a highly charismatic actor, the exquisite framing and comic storytelling style really make Hell Bent the stand-out episode in a series full of blockbusters.

But on past practice it seems more likely that Heaven Sent/Hell Bent will be nominated as a two-parter.

Doctor Who will once more likely face strong competition from George Martin's popular tale of simple country folk this year, but I think it stands a good chance.

Quick

Banned
To me, Tennant's and Smith's tenures felt long because of the anomalies in the way the tail end of their tenures were scheduled.

Series 6 and 7 were split in half and spread out + his specials (The Day of the Doctor and The Time of the Doctor). Tennant had his four specials for a whole year. Capaldi just ran through two series in two years. If Series 10 is his last, it's still a bit shorter than Tennant and Smith, but not by a lot. If the show is changing showrunners, maybe they'll get Capaldi to do his own Specials for a year to transition.

3 years would be short but only because 10 and 11 had 4 year runs that had half seasons and specials carrying them the last year.

I hope we get more then 1 more season of Peter even if it means we only get 2 short seasons.

But if Moffitt really is on the out I wouldn't be surprised if he also leaves and the new runner gets a clean slate to work with just like the last transition.

How much longer do we have to wait before they cant deny something is fishy with the 2016 plans? They keep saying everything is fine but lol.

Quick

Banned
3 years would be short but only because 10 and 11 had 4 year runs that had half seasons and specials carrying them the last year.

I hope we get more then 1 more season of Peter even if it means we only get 2 short seasons.

But if Moffitt really is on the out I wouldn't be surprised if he also leaves and the new runner gets a clean slate to work with just like the last transition.

How much longer do we have to wait before they cant deny something is fishy with the 2016 plans? They keep saying everything is fine but lol.

If there's plans for a 2016 release in full, production should be starting up in January.

Dalek

I loved the fold out picture wallet of all the Doctor's faces.

I didn't really care for the episode all that much. It was way too RTD for my tastes. The ending was lovely, but everything else, save for some funny quips was very familiar but not in a good way.

I loved the fold out picture wallet of all the Doctor's faces.

I didn't really care for the episode all that much. It was way too RTD for my tastes. The ending was lovely, but everything else, save for some funny quips was very familiar but not in a good way.

See, having recently started rewatching New Who from the beginning, and coming to the conclusion RTD was far better than I used to give him credit for, I'd agree that this felt far more like something from his era, and that's part of the reason I loved it!

Honestly, I've seen about a dozen Capaldi episodes now, and this is the first time he's felt like The Doctor to me. It's the first time the shows properly felt like Doctor Who to me infact since before the 50th anniversary.

TheJoRu

I loved the moment after The Doctor and River teleported off with the head in the bag, just laughing in the snow at the ridiculousness of the situation. Such a far cry from "grumpy Doctor who's sad he's lost a companion"; very refreshing.

Dunno how reassuring this might be, but I remember him doing a fair amount of work on Torchwood S1 & 2.

But his work on Broadchurch S1 was pretty damned extraordinary. And Torchwood S1/2 was a LONG time ago now.

Chibnall basically ran Torchwood S1 and S2. He was lead writer, RTD just oversaw it. Same with Gareth Roberts, who essentially 'ran' Sarah Jane Adventures, with RTD overseeing him.

That said, I wouldn't pick him, but he was always high on the list. Chibnall, Gaitiss - the two I've been saying would be next up for years.

We've heard from Michael Pickwoad, and Moffat later confirmed, that filming is starting a few months later next year, with filming for both Class and Sherlock starting earlier on in the year. We can put the rest of the pieces together ourselves.

Moffat's never really led us to believe that next year would be exactly the same, in fairness to him.

Just realized 2 Doctors have now been Marvel villains. Here's hoping Capaldi gets next dibs :D

This stood out to me when Tennant was cast, as I was keenly aware of how much of a waste Eccleston was in Thor 2. They had him covered in make-up and barely delivering any lines. They could have cast a stage hand in that role.

Not a good movie, and a huge waste of potential in Eccleston.

OTOH, Tennant is probably the best villain in the entire MCU.

gabbo

This stood out to me when Tennant was cast, as I was keenly aware of how much of a waste Eccleston was in Thor 2. They had him covered in make-up and barely delivering any lines. They could have cast a stage hand in that role.

Not a good movie, and a huge waste of potential in Eccleston.

OTOH, Tennant is probably the best villain in the entire MCU.

Meanwhile Smith has to toil away in the shitty Terminator universe

It was way too RTD for my tastes.

You'll probably think I'm some kind of weird maniac, but what the fuck does that mean?

Are we just going to let this discussion dissolve into a heap of bizarre and inexplicable attacks on Doctor Who writers and production staff?

Quick

Banned
And when Tom Hiddleston becomes the 13th Doctor, that'll make 3 Doctors who were also Marvel villains!

I didn't know I wanted this. I'd be okay with this.

You'll probably think I'm some kind of weird maniac, but what the fuck does that mean?

Are we just going to let this discussion dissolve into a heap of bizarre and inexplicable attacks on Doctor Who writers and production staff?

Are you part of the production team? This seems incredibly salty.

If there's plans for a 2016 release in full, production should be starting up in January.

Neither of us has any idea about what will happen in Doctor Who next year. If some episodes showed up before Christmas and others followed after Christmas, would any of us mind?

yes., This is still rather tame. I'm guessing you weren't around for DWB vs John Nathan Turner/ Eric Saward's Starburst interview/ Ian Levine smashing his TV, etc. It's just a TV show.

in other news, i've been trawling through the Lego Dimensions Doctor Who level back "The Dalek Extermination of Earth."

It's pretty awful but what it does do is make me want a proper Doctor Who 3rd person adventure game (as in something not made in 6 months on a miniscule budget.)

"Press B when riding in the TARDIS for stealth." *presses B and nothing happens*

Quick

Banned
Neither of us has any idea about what will happen in Doctor Who next year. If some episodes showed up before Christmas and others followed after Christmas, would any of us mind?

I don't particularly care exactly the nature of how the show is aired (split series, delayed, or specials), I just want to know when they plan to start production right now.

What does "salty" mean? If it means "increasingly surprised by bizarre speculation", yes. But from my point of view it's just surprise about weird and often inappropriate comments.

I don't see anything inappropriate about Dalek saying "It way way too RTD for my tastes". Seems like he doesn't enjoy RTDisms, and that's his own opinion on the matter. And you seem to take offense to it.

If Dalek had said something along the lines of "RTD is stupid, all his episodes suck and that's absolute fact, and anyone who likes his episodes is an idiot," then you're onto something.

Vibranium

Banned
And when Tom Hiddleston becomes the 13th Doctor, that'll make 3 Doctors who were also Marvel villains!

Ok, that would be damn good casting. I don't know if he'd be willing to do it though since he's got a bigger film career than Capaldi ever has had.

Loved the Christmas special, it was a better River appearance this time.

tonysidaway always makes mountains out of molehills. He believes that he's a superior type of fan (that isn't a fan) that takes any complaint about the show as a personal affront. It's best to just ignore him when he gets like this.

hamchan

Christ, someone is allowed to not like a creator's style without it being an "attack".

I loved the moment after The Doctor and River teleported off with the head in the bag, just laughing in the snow at the ridiculousness of the situation. Such a far cry from "grumpy Doctor who's sad he's lost a companion"; very refreshing.
He can't really be sulking about losing something he, now, never knew he had. Unless I'm forgetting something from the finale.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Heaven Sent felt very gamey somehow, so yesterday I tried adapting it into a Mario Maker level.
If anyone's interested in giving it a whirl, here's a bookmark link (heavy SPOILERS if you haven't seen the episode, of course).

The First Second Of Eternity
2RdjvpA.jpg

Bluth54

Or just tell me because I deleted it off the dvr weeks ago, please.

The Doctor remembers Clara exists, he just doesn't remember what she looks like. When he was in the Dinner he told Waitress Clara he was sure he would know her if he saw her (which of course he didn't).

I don't particularly care exactly the nature of how the show is aired (split series, delayed, or specials), I just want to know when they plan to start production right now.
Preproduction starts in earnest in March, and filming itself starts in May.

Filming for both Class and Sherlock starts in February, IIRC.

mclem

It'd be interesting, since the Christmas Special would have to fit into the normal progression of the series!

Nothing wrong with that, it'd be something different. Well, unless you count The Feast of Steven.

The Doctor remembers Clara exists, he just doesn't remember what she looks like. When he was in the Dinner he told Waitress Clara he was sure he would know her if he saw her (which of course he didn't).
Oh weird, I remember it as he remembered her name, but not why he did. I think BBCA is doing a Who marathon on New Years, so I'll try to watch it again. I think I'll need to watch it with captions, because I seem to have an issue understanding what he says sometimes.

Oh weird, I remember it as he remembered her name, but not why he did. I think BBCA is doing a Who marathon on New Years, so I'll try to watch it again. I think I'll need to watch it with captions, because I seem to have an issue understanding what he says sometimes.

It's a bit of both. He remembers there was a companion called Clara, he remembers things that they did vaguely -- so, he remembers the events of the 50th and that she was there, he remembers there was a mummy on the orient express, he remembers meeting Missy and learning her identity etc -- important for continuity if they bring monsters or knowledge from those episodes back - but he can't remember her. She's just a void in amongst all these other concrete memories to him.

It'd be interesting, since the Christmas Special would have to fit into the normal progression of the series!

Nothing wrong with that, it'd be something different. Well, unless you count The Feast of Steven.

..and the Snowmen, really.

hamchan

Finished Dark Eyes 4 from earlier this year.

Big Finish have more room to go more dark than the regular TV stories and it shows. The Daleks for one haven't really seemed that threatening on TV in years but in these audios they are allowed to be truly awful, horrific things. Other enemies like the Eminence too, pretty damn scary to have a sentient gas cloud that can create zombie armies, then seeing the fallout as billions upon billions die. I like that and I enjoy that audio can be specifically targeted towards the adult demographic.

The companions of the Eighth Doctor, boy they go through some rough stuff don't they. I liked Molly as a companion and her calling the TARDIS the "Tardy-box". It did feel that Molly got replaced by Liv Chenka as the main companion after Dark Eyes 2, even though the whole series was named after her. A decent exit for her though not as emotional as To The Death/Lucie Miller.

Also Alex Macqueen is a great Master and as much as I like Missy, it's a shame we never got Alex's Master as Twelve's nemesis because I would love to see them get into some Thick of It style fighting.

Overall I really liked the whole Dark Eyes series. Paul McGann remains one of the best Doctors and I hope he keeps making audios for a long time to come. Onto Doom Coalition then I still have War Doctor and River Song audios to listen to. Will take my time because who knows when we'll see more TV episodes.

Also wondering if I should watch old Sixth Doctor episodes or whether to just jump straight into the audios? Everyone seems to dislike the TV Sixth Doctor while giving acclaim to the audio interpretation.

Goldrush

I think of it like you're going to see Jurassic World with some friends. One of them brought along a new guy. Everyone got along great, but your brain didn't move him to long term memory for some reason. Months later, you still could recall the day, but you don't really recall him at all. So you met him again and in the process of the standard introduction routine, he reminded you that you guys actually met during the movie. Proceed to you feeling like shit that you don't remember him at all, but weirdly suddenly recalling impersonal details like he was the person that sat between so and so rather than any conversation.

The episode comprises the entire story as told in flashback. He remembers everything that happened, subject to the normal foibles of memory. For instance, he genuinely confuses her memory with a memory of Amy and Rory at one point, but then corrects himself. He just can't recognise who she is, even when he's looking directly at her. It's like remembering watching Leonardo DiCaprio in Titanic, recalling everything that happens, but being unable to recognise his face and voice when you see him in The Aviator. You'd still be able to deduce that it was the same actor if you saw the film credits.

Supposedly one version of the script had him deducing that he had been speaking to Clara when he saw the portrait of her that Rigsy painted on the TARDIS door.

https://www.reddit.com/r/doctorwho/comments/3waa7x/proof_that_the_doctor_remembers_clara/

Top Bottom