• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Series Seven |OT| The Question You've Been Running From All Your Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronen

Clara's a metaphor for the series as a whole.

She's been through 3 incarnations (Classic, TV Movie, New)
She lived for 26 years, and then died.
She came back in the modern day.
She lived from '63 to '89.
She can't write 16- the amount of years between the end of the classic series and the start of the new.
She can't write 23- the amount of years between the end of the classic series and her first appearance.

So, in essence, when the question is asked... Clara is Doctor Who.

No way are these all coincidences.

Where are you getting these dates from? Closest I can find is Clara from The Snowmen, who's gravestone reads 23 November 1866 - 24 December 1892.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator

She lived from '63 to '89.
She can't write 16- the amount of years between the end of the classic series and the start of the new.
She can't write 23- the amount of years between the end of the classic series and her first appearance.

What is this, I dont even.

wlXX6Cs.gif

What is happeniiing

Quick

Banned
Neither do I. I said Doctor Who, not the Doctor.

I mean, as we've already established, the two Claras (not including Oswin) that we know the ages of have lived for 50 years.

And we learned in the Cultbox preview for next week's episode that
Clara references Jenna Louise Coleman.

I think Moffat's playing a very, very meta game here...

Say what now?

Meta, actually, could actually be explained fairly consistently in the Doctor Who universe. We're just another universe and the events in their universe it just being transmitted through a low telepathic field to the memories and thoughts of someone in our universe.

I'd buy it, I'd like it, and I don't think it'd even break/ruin Doctor Who for me.

Ugh, no thanks.

Where are you getting these dates from? Closest I can find is Clara from The Snowmen, who's gravestone reads 23 November 1866 - 24 December 1892.

I haven't seen the Snowmen since Christmas, but wasn't it 23rd November 1863 to 24 December 1889?

I might be wrong with that bit, but even so, the rest stacks up.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I haven't seen the Snowmen since Christmas, but wasn't it 23rd November 1863 to 24 December 1889?

I might be wrong with that bit, but even so, the rest stacks up.

From Claras page on the DW Wiki:

Clara's headstone in 1892 states that she was born on 23 November 1866 and that she died in 24 December 1892, meaning she not only shares the same birthday (though not the year) as Doctor Who itself but that she was also 26-years-old when she died — the same age as Doctor Who was when it was cancelled in 1989 and also the same age as Jenna-Louise Coleman, the actress who plays Clara.

So you were right about the day and age compared to its run, but not the years they ran from compared to Clara's Victorian life. Seems you aren't the first to notice these hints though.

Petrichor

So. Clara appeared five times in three (and a bit) episodes.

Asylum of the Daleks
- Oswin Oswald
- Smart, genius level intellect
- Soufflés
- Right before dying something clicked within her, saying 'Run you clever boy, and remember'.
- 'Remember me'

The Snowmen
- Clara Oswin Oswald
- Governess/Barmaid
- No mention of family
- Soufflés
- 'Pond'
- Pretty smart, obviously not computer literate
- Right before dying something clicked within her, saying 'Run you clever boy, and remember'.
- Born 23/11
- Died 24/12
- 'Remember me for we shall meet again'
- The Great Intelligence whom the Doctor somehow doesn't have full recollection of
- Not afraid of ghosts

Bells of Saint John
- Clara Oswald
- 'Governess'
- No mention of family
- 'Run you clever boy and remember' seems to be brought on to her from her environment rather than made up by her
- Unable to write 23
- Pretty Smart (even as a child), eventually super IT literate
- Makes up Oswin
- The Great Intelligence, but the Doctor never really finds that out
- The Leaf
- The woman at the shop

Interesting anagrams:
COO
RYCBAR
RMFWSMA

What did I miss?

Oswin says "I don't know where I am" a couple of times in the Asylum of the Daleks reveal.

Petrichor

So that would make it twice she's been "downloaded" in a way.

ETA: I guess uploaded would be the right way to put it.

There's also the pattern of the mother being dead in the family she moves in with...

And both Oswin Oswald and Clara Oswald (modern) wanted to go travelling, though only Oswin managed to start (albeit she didn't get very far, she said that she'd only just begun her adventures when she crashed on the asylum)

Blader

She was born on 23rd November.

Holy shit.

Petrichor

Someone also pointed out that Clara Oswin Oswald is an anagram of "A window across all" - food for thought. The beginning of the rings of akhaten is
a trip into Clara's past that explains the leaf
so at the very least we should have some new material to get our teeth into this week.

There's also the pattern of the mother being dead in the family she moves in with...

And both Oswin Oswald and Clara Oswald (modern) wanted to go travelling, though only Oswin managed to start (albeit she didn't get very far, she said that she'd only just begun her adventures when she crashed on the asylum)

And all three are nannies of various descriptions; Victorian and modern are obvious, but what's the betting that the Starship Alaska's Junior Entertainment Officer was the officer who entertained the juniors?

EDIT: Clara being unable to write 23 could fit into my theory another way; the old series was put on a hiatus for 18 months, and that hiatus ended with the start of season 23.

Petrichor

And all three are nannies of various descriptions; Victorian and modern are obvious, but what's the betting that the Starship Alaska's Junior Entertainment Officer was the officer who entertained the juniors?

EDIT: Clara being unable to write 23 could fit into my theory another way; the old series was put on a hiatus for 18 months, and that hiatus ended with the start of season 23.

Do you think we'll be stuck with "this" Clara for the rest of the season or could she die again? The scene of her saying "run you clever boy and remember" in the TARDIS (so from episode 5?) looked pretty portentous.

Do you think we'll be stuck with "this" Clara for the rest of the season or could she die again? The scene of her saying "run you clever boy and remember" in the TARDIS (so from episode 5?) looked pretty portentous.

Well, if she doesn't stick around as modern Clara my theory is well and truly buggered.
KuGsj.gif

Hmmmmm.

I do think in the end the nods to the show itself were built in for those interested to notice, it won't play a major factor in Clara's overall story.

Jintor

Come on guys.

WE. ARE. NEOGAF.

Minutes after Phantom Pain's trailer GAF figured it was MGS5. You're telling me we're wasting time bitching about Moffat vs RTD when we can figure out who/what Clara is.

believe

She's psycho mantis

It's also... set in Victorian England. Rose and Donna both dressed in period appropriate dress when they went into the past, too. Chances are she just dresses up, surely?

It's also... set in Victorian England. Rose and Donna both dressed in period appropriate dress when they went into the past, too. Chances are she just dresses up, surely?

I'd say it's likely.

There's a hell of a lot of storyline potential from the Paternoster Gang mistaking a dressed-up modern Clara for Victorian Clara.

You're insane. But I fucking love it.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone see the full tour of the Tardis on PS HOME?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5t5f1okoNc

The interior is huge. I hope they have an option to change around the main room. Wow there is a theater in the Tardis. Whomever made this did a damn good job. Well a bit sad there is no swimming pool in the library.

I think I might buy this. This is as close to having the real thing.

I love this. This is fun as hell.

So, which one of you wants to work on Who? The BBC's taking applications for EP.

As Executive Producer you will be responsible to the Head of Drama, Wales, for the editorial, production and financial management of Doctor Who. The successful candidate will therefore have extensive production experience in popular and complex primetime television series and be confident in leading and inspiring a team to create their best work.

RetroMG

So I just upgraded from a 32" 720p to a 42" 1080p TV. Watching the Doctor's Wife right now, and my god, it looks glorious.
3AQmK.gif

Tizoc

Bah ga-
My head is full of meta

Actually this.

Nah Clara is prob. either:
Riversong/Melody regenerated, his GRAND DAUGHTER, or the clone from the fish people episode
I'm gonna go with the 2nd one though

Mariolee

A quick scroll didn't turn up anything, so there was a Doctor Who cartoon that was in the works but ultimately was scrapped due to not distract from the live action series.

doctor-who-animated-series-concept-art-1-388x600.jpg

More here.

Link

The Autumn Wind
A quick scroll didn't turn up anything, so there was a Doctor Who cartoon that was in the works but ultimately was scrapped due to not distract from the live action series.

http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/doctor-who-animated-series-concept-art-1-388x600.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://collider.com/doctor-who-animated-series-concept-art/#more-245262"]More here.[/URL][/QUOTE] You could always watch the [url=http://youtu.be/kt3qZYUPi2Y]fan-made anime.[/url]

Quick

Banned
Finished The Doctor's Wife.

This episode always gives me the feels. Their last conversation is beautiful stuff. That was great acting from Suranne Jones and Matt Smith.

The concept of taking the TARDIS matrix out and putting it inside a human body sounds ludicrous, but Neil Gaiman just makes it work.

House was actually a formidable villain. He really outsmarted the Doctor for the most part. And the way he was toying with Amy and Rory was quite terrifying. Arthur Darvill notably had a ton of the acting work between the two of them.

You really feel for the Doctor when he finds the Corsair's cube, ultimately leading him to find out that the voices he heard were merely the other cubes, and finding out that other Time Lords that landed were basically harvested for their TARDISes and body parts for Uncle and Auntie. I thought he was terrifying when he simply uttered (shouted in a moment) for both of them to "basically, run" (callback to The Eleventh Hour).

The Time War isn't brought up a lot (or at all?) in the Moffat era, but I'm glad it was addressed a bit. And I never really thought about what other "good" Time Lords would think of the Doctor after what he did. I guess looking for forgiveness and explaining everything is something he desperately wants to do.

Miscellaneous thoughts:
- Suranne Jones HNNNNNNNG
- Awesome seeing the old control room
- I still think the now-previous control room looks better than the new one, but I think it'll take some time to really like it.

obin_gam

I hope they do something with the time war in the near future of the show. Not to show it, but maybe The Doctor decides he doesn't want to be the only Time Lord anymore and goes on a journey to try unlocking the war, or saving the other Time Lords.

xenist

Finished The Doctor's Wife.

This episode always gives me the feels. Their last conversation is beautiful stuff. That was great acting from Suranne Jones and Matt Smith.

The concept of taking the TARDIS matrix out and putting it inside a human body sounds ludicrous, but Neil Gaiman just makes it work.

House was actually a formidable villain. He really outsmarted the Doctor for the most part. And the way he was toying with Amy and Rory was quite terrifying. Arthur Darvill notably had a ton of the acting work between the two of them.

You really feel for the Doctor when he finds the Corsair's cube, ultimately leading him to find out that the voices he heard were merely the other cubes, and finding out that other Time Lords that landed were basically harvested for their TARDISes and body parts for Uncle and Auntie. I thought he was terrifying when he simply uttered (shouted in a moment) for both of them to "basically, run" (callback to The Eleventh Hour).

The Time War isn't brought up a lot (or at all?) in the Moffat era, but I'm glad it was addressed a bit. And I never really thought about what other "good" Time Lords would think of the Doctor after what he did. I guess looking for forgiveness and explaining everything is something he desperately wants to do.

Miscellaneous thoughts:
- Suranne Jones HNNNNNNNG
- Awesome seeing the old control room
- I still think the now-previous control room looks better than the new one, but I think it'll take some time to really like it.

The Doctor's Wife is one my top three favorite episodes of Doctor Who ever. Quite possibly the best realized and sweetest expression of male wish fulfillment ever for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom