• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here avoid killing bugs?

Painguy

Recently I've found myself avoid killing bugs. Like, if I found a bug in my home I'd just take it outside. I've had a few people poke fun which is fine. I get it, it's weird lol, but I was wondering if anyone else does this?

I'm not saying I wont kill bugs no matter what. If a bug bit me or my home got infested with termites then those little dudes are gonna get it, but if a bug is minding its own business I'll just take it outside. if I found a fly kinda lost then I'd turn off all the lights, put my phone on full brightness and lead it outside. At the end of the day that 1 fly probs has 10 days to live tops.

The reason I started doing this is cuz I've been thinking about how we as people have a tendency to look down on creatures that we deem smaller or stupider than us. This new mentality of mine doesn't apply just to bugs. I have a lot of raccoons & cayotes where I live. Most people hate raccoons as far as I can tell, and attempt to set up traps. I on the other hand realized that maybe I should seal my garbage a bit better. Now they don't show up.

Am I just being dumb GAF?

No, I'm a savage.

tumblr_mfa4snhZDO1s0jy7no1_500.gif

I've seen starship troopers.

Yeah dude you're doing the right thing, bugs are cool

Moreover I'd rather put in the extra effort then dealing with bug corpses all over my house

TissueBox

To protect my conscience I usually never squash... either a mercy-flick (*cough* term loosely used) or a pick-up-and-relocate.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I trap and release. I saw Men in Black at an impressionable age and I ain't messing around with killing bugs.

If its impeding my ability to function then its going splat. If its unsanitary or dangerous then its going splat. God gave me dominion over this earth and Im going to dominate the hell out of it.

GhaleonEB

Depends on the bug, but for the most part, yes. We catch and release outside most spiders, house centipedes, flies, moths, etc. And when I say "we" I mean me. Anyone else sees a bug in the house they just summon me.

Only thing I can think of that we kill on sight are wasps (annihilated a nest just last night, attached to our deck). Because fuck wasps.

Edit: and mosquitoes, and ants.

ultron87

I try not to, if possible, and will try to get them outside. Just feels unnecessary for something that is just following it's nature. But if it's about to escape under something where I'd lose track of it and I don't have a cup or whatever handy I sometimes just squish it, because it escaping will inevitably, in my head at least, lead to it laying eggs and then my living room being infested forever.

Of course at the same time when I see them in my home I set up ant traps that, according to the package, kill whole colonies, so it's not like I really have some moral high ground to stand on.

Poppy

ants and flies are going to eat my wrath because they are too numerous and/or fast, and they exist because they are eating and ruining my stuff

sorry to them but i just am not really in a saving mood for that

lyrick

Mosquitoes die on sight.
Ants will be poisoned if they get too close to my home.
Flies I'll kill if they annoy me

Spiders I'll bring outside.

Leynos

I have no shame in releasing bugs outside instead of crushing them, even if people give me guff about it. There are exceptions, however, that I will kill: flies, fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, etc.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is me most of the time. I usually capture and toss them outside. I hate when flies get in the house, but I almost always just shoo them out the front door.

Futureman

Are you going vegan?

I don't go out of my way to kill bugs but if there's an annoying one in my house I'll probably swat it.

My GF's dad has some bug gun thing that sucks the bug up and then you can shoot it out a window or door.

Only thing I can think of that we kill on sight are wasps (annihilated a nest just last night, attached to our deck). Because fuck wasps.

wasps are the worst.
Bees are bros and mind their own business which is basically keeping everyone alive. Wasps are just assholes who contribute nothing to this world. Killing them is our duty.

Shadybiz

Depends.

Spiders get to live (though I will shoo them outside with a newspaper).

Cool stuff like praying mantis, crickets, etc also live.

...Flies, ants, and mosquitoes are attacked with extreme prejudice.

Painguy

Wow, surprised to see how many peeps are chillin with bugs. I will say that I do this despite having been bitten by a brown recluse.

Are you going vegan?

I don't go out of my way to kill bugs but if there's an annoying one in my house I'll probably swat it.

I'm not going vegan.

Sydle

Yeah, I try to avoid stepping on them outside and when I find them inside I help them get outside. Even vicious little scorpions that creep me out.

Mosquitos are the only exception. They need to be wiped from existence.

Lombax

Banned
One of my hobbies is beekeeping. As much as I hate wasps / hornets I avoid killing them as they are pollinators. Spiders are cool as well.

Flies, mosquito and black flies can go fuck themselves!

Creepy

I don't kill bugs, I think they're cute, I like to see them wander around.

If I have to remove them from the area then I carefully pick them up and try and put them somewhere nice.

styl3s

I straight up murder every bug/insect that comes in my house and anything near my house. IE. porch etc.

Bugs aren't cool.

yuoke

Banned
Mosquitos....hell no, any near me or especially inside get it.

Other than that, I only go after decent sized spiders in my room. I try to get them to just leave through cracks or something though. I don't get them outside at all though.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Yes. I do kill mosquitos that are trying to feed on me.

I also kill brown recluses in my apartment. Not worth the risk of doing otherwise. They gotta go

Oberon

Banned
I also started doing that recently. I see no need to kill something that means no harm to me in any way. Thinking about how's it's alife and then dead for no reason makes me feel really bad. Just catch it and free it outsite, it's not that hard.
I once had an ant in my room. Before taking it outside, I thought about giving it some honey. But then I had l lost sight of it. I was SO scarred to move because I was afraid I was going to crush it accidently. It took me like 20 minutes to find it.

Depends on the bug and I'm how i'm feeling. Even flies can get a free pass.

But flies that like to land on me for no fucking reason on a hot summer day, asshole wasps (any of them that don't stop following me) and ESPECIALLY mosquitoes get no quarter from me.

Top Bottom