• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here avoid killing bugs?

Outside the home I avoid intentionally killing anything that's not a wasp. Fuck wasps. Inside my home, however, all of them gotta go. I spray a layer of Demon WP around the perimeter of the house to make sure nothing can cross that line.

GhaleonEB

Wasp gonna do what a wasp gonna do. They're just wired to be hyper aggressive, not really their fault when you think about it lol. I'm deathly allergic to them though, so I give them no quarter. But it's something I've given thought to before. Can you blame an animal for doing what it was born to do?

I agree with this, but at the same time, I gotta prioritize. One of the benefits of being in our relative position in the food chain. If carpenter ants are destroying my house, they're gonna die, and if wasps are stinging my family, they're also gonna die. My home and family come first.

Where we can co-exist with insects and spiders, I make efforts to do so. I feel an increasing responsibility to do so, honestly. This is having some effect on my kids: while my elder is still deathly afraid of spiders, my younger is not bothered by them any more. She'll see a spider walking around in her room, make note of it, and go about her day. She even went to bed with a giant house spider on her ceiling the other day, not bothered at all, because she understands they are harmless to us.

El-Suave

Except for nasty flies, mosquitos or ants I try to put most insects back outside, especially if they're a bit bigger or unique.

I was very fearful of bugs as a kid. I would kill any bug that would invade my space. Spiders, bees, wasps & moths would trigger me hard.
The last 6 years I've spent most of my weekends at the countryside, helping a friend of mine with her stables.
This proces has made me become very tolerant towards, and overcome my fear of most bugs, as well as other small creatures I would find creepy (frogs, toads, rats).
That said I live in a western European country, so the kind of bugs here are pretty tame compared to southern countries.

Top Bottom