• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does anyone here avoid killing bugs?

spock

I avoid killing them as well and teach my kids the same. The exception is if they are aggressive, creating a nest in an area that will become a big problem down the line or if they initiate an act of war.

Love all around is how I try to live.

Depends on the bug and the context. At home I release almost everything that's not a fly but at work it's getting squashed 90% of the time.

Yesterday a spider built a giant beautiful web across our doorway and I felt like shit sweeping it away.

Sora_N

The other night a giant moth came out of nowhere. I killed it.

I don't avoid killing bugs in my house. Sorry I can't live at peace if they're around.

I try to avoid anything outside though

Melubas

I never kill anything unless it's fluttering around in my face when I'm about to sleep AND I can't get it outside in fifteen minutes. Bugs are cool and deserve the chance to live as much as anything else, even though they are annoying as f*ck sometimes.

hydruxo

I had a cockroach that was as long as the palm of my hand in my bathroom last week and there was no way I'm gonna try and catch that thing. Smashed the hell out of it. Too much work to catch and release a bug, like it's not that big of a deal to kill a bug in your house occasionally. I don't feel bad.

horkrux

I do. I've literally tortured them when I was a kid. I've ripped out their wings, I have fed them to spiders or suffocated them in bottles. Since then I've realized the errors of my ways and no longer kill insect folk for no good reason.*

* if you're a gnat you're as good as dead

Fred-87

Why so many kill wasps? They dont do anything. Unless you swat at them or something like that. I just let them fly around the home untill they go outside through the window or door. Sometimes i help them with a foldup newspaper to gently push them to the window.

Nope. We have a garden and if we want to literally enjoy the fruits of our labor things are gonna have to die. Yesterday we found about 7 giant green tomatoe caterpillars. They are cool looking and now dead.

Osahi

I usually take them outside if I can yeah. Spiders I sometimes vacuum though.

And mosquitos can fuck right of. They get splattered without remorse

krishian

I tend to squash mosquitos and wasps, but leave everything else. Spider-bros take care of most of them anyway, so they've earned their place.

Why so many kill wasps? They dont do anything. Unless you swat at them or something like that. I just let them fly around the home untill they go outside through the window or door. Sometimes i help them with a foldup newspaper to gently push them to the window.
this_is_a_fucking_wasp_by_helwan.jpg

redcrayon

Yeah we have a designated cup we use for capturing /putting over creepy crawlies. Then slide some paper/card in underneath and throw out.

Seems to be my designated job as I'm forever getting called to take a spider 'out'.
My wife is always asking me to 'put the spider out for the night' in a similar fashion. It reminds me of the opening to the Flintstones, where Dino runs back in... :D

GhaleonEB

Wasps are the pointless assholes of the insect kingdom. They have stung or attacked my family in my yard for doing the following:

• Unwittingly walking into their flight path
  • Walking under/over a nest we did not see
  • Sitting there being unaware of and not bothering wasps that decided to attack because they're wasps
A nest of yellow jackets stung my wife pretty good a few years ago. You fuck with my wife and you fuck with me. Wasps and I are now mortal enemies and I will not rest until they are eradicated (from my yard).

ultra7k

If they enter my place, they've entered the danger zone - unless it's a bee then they have a permit to fly in an otherwise no-fly zone. I'll just shoo them out through a window or whatever. Ladybugs I'll just push outside, but aside from those two exceptions....

Spiders, ants, flies, wasps and the like are met with no quarter.

That being said, a little spider has taken up residence in my garage by the garage door. I let it be as it seems to catch lots of little things so I guess it's mutually beneficial. Just don't come crawling up to the house proper.

Daingurse

Wasps are the pointless assholes of the insect kingdom. They have stung or attacked my family in my yard for doing the following:

• Unwittingly walking into their flight path
  • Walking under/over a nest we did not see
  • Sitting there being unaware of and not bothering wasps that decided to attack because they're wasps
A nest of yellow jackets stung my wife pretty good a few years ago. You fuck with my wife and you fuck with me. Wasps and I are now mortal enemies and I will not rest until they are eradicated (from my yard).

Wasp gonna do what a wasp gonna do. They're just wired to be hyper aggressive, not really their fault when you think about it lol. I'm deathly allergic to them though, so I give them no quarter. But it's something I've given thought to before. Can you blame an animal for doing what it was born to do?

I generally don't kill spiders or other harmless bugs, or non-annoying bugs. But moths? I fucking hate moths. Every summer we get some big suckers in the house.

SIk05.png

Astral Dog

Why so many of you are good with spiders i don't understand, those legs, nasty spider web, many eyes👁, hair! Eww, killing a few flies is not worth it, i have a theory it has something to do with Spider Man 🤔

kikiribu

Not all wasps are out to kill you. I play with these every time I see them cause they're just cool

I took that pic and it never got aggressive even when I handled it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And yes they're huge

Shaanyboi

Banned
Flies, ants, or mosquitos go splat.

Moths, ladybugs, western conifer seed bugs, etc. I will just catch and release out the window. Same with any flies that clearly just are too dumb to know how windows work.

Spiders are a case by case situation. Mostly just catch and release.

To my cat, they're all fair game.

JackDT

If I can avoid killing it easily, I do, but I don't really go out of way to do so. One thing I do often partly because it's just really effective is to turn off the lights and shine a flashlight on the door outside. Bug will fly right in in a minute. No chasing or standing on chairs to reach ceilings required.

eXistor

Yeah, always have. The one exception: mosquitoes; they disrupt my sleep, so fuck 'em.

My dad always went out of his way to not kill any bugs, even if they were *ahem* bugging him, so I guess I took that to heart and I avoid killing any bug if I can. I'll catch spiders and put them outside, same with flies or any insect inside the house. Walking down the road I'll avoid stepping on anything if I can help it. I just don't see the point in killing bugs; what did they do to deserve such a fate?

FairyD

Since I've moved out of my parents house. I've been killing them left and right.

I killed a big centipede last Friday. I didn't even want to kill it, but it was crawling towards me and it freaked me out. I just threw a book at it and crushed it. I haven't moved the book since. I have to eventually clean.

I actively hunt them.

If a fly buzzes, I shut off every light in the house except for one above the sink, then I smash it with a swatter and wash it down the drain. Spiders get stomped. Silverfish and thousand leggers get a size 12. I don't fuck with any bug, at any time, under any circumstance. It is KOS - Kill On Sight. Straight to hell where they belong... the dirty, disease ridden little bastards.

No, I'll kill them on sight. They're pests.

no creature on this planet is a pest, what kind of attitude is that. and for that matter what's with the hate for Ants around here? Ants are awesome. they have colonies, they work hard, they farm, go to war, have politics, they are great. I always avoid stepping on them. I avoid killing most bugs except centipedes. but if I see a waterbug I run away screaming, ugh fucking waterbugs.

MogCakes

no creature on this planet is a pest, what kind of attitude is that. and for that matter what's with the hate for Ants around here? Ants are awesome. they have colonies, they work hard, they farm, go to war, have politics, they are great. I always avoid stepping on them. I avoid killing most bugs except centipedes. but if I see a waterbug I run away screaming, ugh fucking waterbugs.
Fire ants are invasive and detrimental to local ecosystems outside their native habitat in the Amazon.

I will always find ways to kill flies, mosquitoes, and spiders because I absolutely hate them. I also get really freaked out by crane flies despite knowing that they're harmless, so I unfortunately kill them too. I actively avoid bees and wasps, because having flight and a stinger means they are the superior being (haven't been stung though, and I intend on keeping it that way). Haven't had the displeasure of needing to kill scorpions or centipedes yet, which is nice. I haven't really had to deal with cockroach or ant infestations either, but if I did I'd set up traps or other stuff that gets rid of them instead of trying to approach them directly.

Don't care about other bugs though, at least so long as they're not invading personal space.

pablito

I only kill bugs in my house. And only ones you'd want to kill. Mosquitoes, ants, flies, cockroaches, black widows etc. Maybe a wasp if I couldn't get it to fly out easily.

wouwie

I'm scared of "big" spiders (luckily i live in Europe so spiders are not that big) but i always catch them with a jar and put them outside (which isn't the easiest solution in my case). In general, i try to avoid killing bugs, with a few exceptions like mosquitos.

Top Bottom