• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Breakdown (Xbox) get any better?

i just got breakdown for xbox. even though some people said it was complete garbage, i bought it anyways. it's a decent game, reminds me of metroid prime (MP is a lot better but just the fact that it is a bit of an unorthodoxed FPS), but i'm kind of bored at this point. i'm about 2 hours into the game, and while the story is somewhat interesting, i just dont care.

is it even worth my time to play through the game?

It's a great overall experience, that's crushed by stupidly irritating crap. I thought it was worth it, overall, just because there are some really cool moments and ideas in the game... Still, it's far from a AAA game.

rastex

Banned
MightyHedgehog said:
It's a great overall experience, that's crushed by stupidly irritating crap. I thought it was worth it, overall, just because there are some really cool moments and ideas in the game... Still, it's far from a AAA game.

Very, very well said.

It really comes down to your ability to take pain. If you have the patience and can muster through some seriously torturous gameplay sequences there actually lies a pretty damn interesting and unique experience. If you have no tolerance for bad gameplay though, then you probably won't be able to make it to the cool stuff anyway.

Man, it does get pretty friggin crazy though, it's a really crazy game, I love it and hate it so much at the same time.

B'z-chan

Banned
I just won this game at circuit city tonight for free and all i can say is that its very disorienting. I"m so confused by how i feel about this game. I'm very early into it but its just overal a confusing game. I think it might take me a while before i know how i really feel about the game. So far i can do without the guns, I love the hand to hand and kicking actions its great. A step up from Riddick which i though was a little lacking. The control is very loose though. Not something i'm use too with games i've boughten, but i didnt buy this one.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Breakdown is as innovative as it is utterly frustrating. I got about 10 hours into it and just couldn't take it anymore. There's great moments in there, but the game seems to go out of its way to soon make you forget them...

ced

Can you all give examples of whats "uterly frustrating" and irritating?

I was gonna pick this up on the cheap.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Just about evey review available on the game could sum it up better than me. The save system is crap - checkpoints are too spaced out or just generally in bad spots. The enemy AI is horrible, so the designers just compensate by making the enemies you do encouter cheesingly difficult or provided in excess numbers. You forced to directly interact with everything in the game. Example: you see a gun on the ground. You can't merely walk over it to obtain it. Nope, first you look at it, then you press a button to move your hand towards it, then you press a button again to actually pick it up. And you tend to go through long, pointless moments like these all whilst being peppered with enemy fire. It gets old quick. I could go on, but just thinking of it brings back bad memories...

ced

tedtropy said:
Your forced to directly interact with everything in the game. Example: you see a gun on the ground. You can't merely walk over it to obtain it. Nope, first you look at it, then you press a button to move your hand towards it, then you press a button again to actually pick it up.

Ick, gives me Tresspasser memories, and not good ones.

robot

I was really surprised with Breakdown. After playing the demo I thought it sucked, but once it went down to $20, I decided to give it another chance. I'm definetly glad I did, cause the game was great. I think they pulled off the first person pretty good too. You can't nitpick at the game too much otherwise you'll wind up hating it. Just enjoy it for what it is.

The game keeps getting better and better as you progress, and there are alot of suprises in the storyline. Fighting multiple enemies in hand to hand can get frustrating sometimes, but it's managable. I loved the fighting the main boss, one of the more enjoyable boss battles I've played in awhile, despite dying a dozen or so times against him.

The most irritating part of the game is a very long section that has you jumping on numerous platforms to reach the ground level... then forces you to do the same thing except jumping back up. Even worse, the game makes you do it a second time.

I hated almost every second of it, yet loved the experience. I died so many times -- at least 20 at times -- at certain parts, yet kept going on. Something about the game is endearing.

I'd say it's worth playing through.

Top Bottom