• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does Sony need to respond? If so, how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Free online.

Unless they are really, really going to use it for improving PSN. But I still want it gone eventually.

fiyah

I don't think Sony needs to respond. This was clearly a reactionary move by MS and makes their overall vision and strategy look more fickle and non-existent than before. While this is a win for gamers and consumers, I think it is a loss for MS because as far as I am concerned the damage as already been done. Consumer confidence is a hard thing to win back. There has been so much negative press lately that it's going to take more than one shift to bring MS back to the top in gamers minds

spannicus

This is going to be goooood. @Fiyah, once the word is out that they scrapped those awful policies its back to business as usual for Microsoft, this gone be gooood.

So, a prospective rapists is about rape you, then he sees your friend with a gun and says, 'Just kidding about that rape bit, all is forgiven?'

No. Just......no.

Goodness, this is a terrible analogy, story, whatever you want to call it. Just say that you're not going to by the XBone because of what they attempted to do. Don't bring rape into this

This might be a good idea. Keep PS+ as a requirement for everything but actual online multiplayer.

Edit: What am I saying? Of course it's a good idea. Fuck having to pay to play online.

The only way Sony will budge on their multiplayer requirement is if MS does the same. The outcry surrounding it really isn't all that loud because Plus is seen as a major value due to all the games that come with it.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
This might be a good idea. Keep PS+ as a requirement for everything but actual online multiplayer.

aint happening psn+ on ps3 has always been a long play. its why they offered good value so that people would naturally transition into ps4.

plus they need psn+ to subsidize the ps4 hardware launch

DBT85

Best thing to do is say nothing until they are asked. And when asked reply with "we are pleased that All gamers will be able to do what they like with their physical content, just as we outlined at E3"

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*sigh*

Microsoft is probably really kicking themselves after all of this. Honestly, it might be too late to win back the perception that they're putting together a shoddy console. The momentum is already WAY in Sony's favor at the moment.

It really would have done Microsoft well to announce this at their conference. Or before E3. They knew after the unveiling that people weren't interested in this type of thing. But they stuck with it and kept moving forward towards the downfall.

I can tell you what happened. They thought this would win over publishers (which it probably did) and decided that maybe after everyone say their conference this would all blow over. They got blindsided by Sony being very aggressive and directly referencing Microsoft's policies. Then they've probably been watching the pre-order numbers from Amazon and Best Buy and the other big box retailers. I imagine they were getting creamed and realized that they'd lose the first holiday and maybe the entire generation if they kept going at this rate.

They basically went into corporate panic mode.

JWong

Banned
They don't need to.
Used Games wasn't a feature. Microsoft made it a feature.

Sony has a lot of announcements left from a ton of studios. They just need to show more games.

Trevelyon

I wonder if Sony had not so horribly smeared Microsoft's face in doo doo and put such a fine point on the anti-drm issue at e3 that they could have let Microsoft keep digging their own anti-consumer grave.

Maybe they should have kept the wishy-washy not commital PR all the way up the eleventh hour and not shown MS their hand.

Twix

It's time for Sony to use the superior specs card. Also Gaikai's PS3 games streaming should be incorporated into PS+ subscription at no additional costs.

Baleoce

How does this affect their "cloud processing" plans that were integral and "irreversible at this point", I wonder?

If we take that buzz marketing claim out of the equation, on paper the ps4 is the stronger of the two. It comes down to whether you have faith in the Kinect v2 being innovative this gen.

MaGlock

Only response is to pull those ads proclaiming they still have the status quo of borrowing lending and selling games etc. besides that not really just tout the price of it.

Mxrz

Sony does not need to respond. You do not respond to people who back pedal to follow your direction. However, none of us would be upset if they made basic MP free, with all the perks remaining on plus either.

That said, if nothing else, E3 has shown some of their higher ups and guys like Boyes have a real passion for the medium. They need to follow the tone they've established, and keep focusing on the games.

In contrast, we know what Microsoft's direction is, and why they caved on this. Let them stew in their own mess.

Strike

No. They still have the price advantage and the more powerful system. They've been getting a lot of good press.

NeoUltima

They have certainly lost one of their biggest competitive advantages, but I don't know how they could 'respond' to this. MS was the one who needed to respond. And they responded appropriately, even if it was kind of late.

Now it is (thankfully) all about price and games, just like any other console cycle. So I guess...games. I would love to see more games unveiled/detailed soon.

demolitio

Sony still has consumer faith and the lower price. Sure, they lost some of the Xbox fans that were holding out on the One, but they still have the perception going for them. In interviews, mention how it's good that MS finally came to their senses and realized consumer rights are important but that Sony always supported those rights and didn't need a huge backlash to realize the importance of those rights.

They just need to show off more of the other features of the console throughout the upcoming months to show that it does more than gaming but also do more events on the PS4 games that weren't seen in the conference itself so people know that they DO have exclusives and that their big studios are working hard to keep the good games coming out like they have with the PS3 compared to competitors. Sure, they have some down times, but they have a lot more variety in exclusives throughout the generation and don't just alternate a few game sequels.

This news might make me get an Xbox eventually, but they didn't all of a sudden convince me that they care about the consumers when it was a BUSINESS DECISION.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Respond to what?
They don't need to do anything, they did it right the first time
Sure it's better for people that do eventually buy a X1
But the damage is already done to Xbox Ones image and the fact they had to change shows weakness in their strategy for Xbox One.
I wouldn't be surprised if Sony is laughing about this, after MS said PS4 don't change anything, looks like it. Did

PS2 KID

They need to include the eye and raise the price to 399. Also they need to put video services behind a paywall and raise the price of PSN+ to $60. This will level the playing field.

Spinluck

No they don't. MS is the one catching up to them regarding this situation.

The have the more affordable, and more powerful console. They have a pretty good launch line up as well. They're good for now. MS slashing Xbone price by $100 along with this news would've broke the Internetz. That would've been amazing. But for now it's all a dream.

kuroshiki

Right now PS4 is

1. $100 cheaper
2. more powerful
3. Doesn't require shitty motion control device.

So why would Sony need to respond to MS's backpedaling?

Nope.

They already have a couple weeks of massively higher pre-sells as well as a lot of information regarding DRM that will take longer for MS to step away from.

Plus they still have price advantage and a better online pay wall.

They just need to make sure their future advertising doesn't focus on DRM as its a non-issue now.

Oppo

I think Sony should respond by announcing a system whereby you can share digitally downloaded games with up to 10 family members or friends.

PS2 KID

They need to include the eye and raise the price to 499. Also they need to put video services behind a paywall and raise the price of PSN+ to $60. This will level the playing field.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Are you forgetting that Sony basically controls Europe?

Listen mate, No one on GAF loves Sony more than I. Sony captured the hearts and minds of the whole world, not just Europe with their main ingredient........ SICK AS FUCK JAPANESE GAMES! So until they return to their foundations, they can fuck off. Yeh, I like their western games, but that's Microsoft's alley. Leave it to those guys, get back to your fucking roots and show me the future. You're underachieving Sony and if you don't buck up your act now, Microsoft is going to fucking slaughter you!

And I don't see Sony backing out on the online paywall. They can't afford to miss out on all that revenue for another generation.

Therefore, Microsoft now has Sony in a standing, upright guillotine. SMDH.

robin2

Sony had the death blow in their hands since the very beginning: free multiplayer.

Even cleared of the DRM issue, a 100$ pricier, weaker, bulkier Xbox One, would have been quite doomed.

Huge mistake by Sony there.

Almighty

I don't think they need to respond. As far as I am concerned Sony won on the DRM issue. They came out looking good and Microsoft looks awful. Microsoft dropping DRM is just a huge sign that Sony was right on that issue. Rubbing it in if they find a witty funny way to do it might work, but it's not really needed.

Now they can focus on having the more powerful and cheaper hardware. Microsoft might of removed some big ammunition from Sony, but there is still plenty left for Sony to keep the momentum going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom