• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the possibility of extraterrestrials existing and visiting us scare you and why?

Does the possibility of extraterrestrials existing scare you?

• Yes

• No

• Shut up you're stupid (I'm scared hold me daddy)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MilkyJoe

The one thing that I hope above all else, is that aliens do not visit our planet until such a time as we have evolved enough and become technologically proficient enough to EXTERMINATE THE XENOS SCUM.

Ready To Fight GIF by Xbox

You had better hope Grusch et al are bullshitting, then... :messenger_grimmacing_

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Respectfully, Would you please just come out and tell us the TRUTH about everything?

Respectively, everything?
Everything regarding what, precisely? That was rhetorical my apologies.

But not that rhetorical.

"Aliens" is an inherently umbrella term (IMHO) but ITT mostly used for ET lifeforms and if they exist followed by your poll.

I contain in no way shape or form "The Truth"

I have my thoughts/perspective and ever changing parardigm on aliens used in the context of your thread.

As do many others.

I can hypothetically say; yes there are aliens.

As in other civilizations that evolved in their own biosphere within a different form of social, psychological, philosophical, technological and of course spiritual means of evolving.

And I can hypothetical say said civilization is a mere million years ahead of us.

What use is it to us to apply our very very recent scientific knowledge as a base to operate from regarding their means of travel for instance?

"Proof" of "Aliens" Lmao.

These people want to see a body or UFO land on front of the whitehouse before they change their tune. And probably start believing because it's on TV.

Our current tech is as such that above scenarios could be faked anyways.

There are countless anecdotes regarding the UFO phenomena dating back quite some time.

Hudo

No because among the first questions humanity will have is "can we fuck each other?". And I am all for that.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Glad you're interested but I'm getting scatterbrained.

Can't go into any detail because I've been bombarded with info the last 6 months but there are many tales, very very old (and recent) that 'gods' had (forbidden) intercourse with human woman causing offspring which was deemed 'X' and repercussions where made.

The offspring had immense potential as to be equal and or surpass the initial 'gods'. Bla bla, giants, pre reset old world infrastructure etc.

It's quite the rabbit hole.

K2D

Banned
I'm scared we're the closest it gets to intelligent life in this galaxy and that we'll bring about the next big extinction before we can colonize the galaxy.

Last edited:

Crayon

After years of thinking that I wouldn't be scared at all by it, I know myself well enough now to realize I can't really imagine how I would feel.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Any civilization with the capabilities of traveling back and forth in space on a daily basis would see humans the same way we see isolated tribes in the Amazon, with midly scientific interest, nothing more.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Respectively, everything?
Everything regarding what, precisely? That was rhetorical my apologies.

But not that rhetorical.

"Aliens" is an inherently umbrella term (IMHO) but ITT mostly used for ET lifeforms and if they exist followed by your poll.

I contain in no way shape or form "The Truth"

I have my thoughts/perspective and ever changing parardigm on aliens used in the context of your thread.

As do many others.

I can hypothetically say; yes there are aliens.

As in other civilizations that evolved in their own biosphere within a different form of social, psychological, philosophical, technological and of course spiritual means of evolving.

And I can hypothetical say said civilization is a mere million years ahead of us.

What use is it to us to apply our very very recent scientific knowledge as a base to operate from regarding their means of travel for instance?

"Proof" of "Aliens" Lmao.

These people want to see a body or UFO land on front of the whitehouse before they change their tune. And probably start believing because it's on TV.

Our current tech is as such that above scenarios could be faked anyways.

There are countless anecdotes regarding the UFO phenomena dating back quite some time.
Biospheres? Meaning they live here on earth?

Crayon

Hate to backseat mod here, but the spirit of the op is more like a hypothetical about how you would feel if they did show up. The argument about whether it's actually true has been winding into tighter and tighter circles due to current events and every single thread about the general topic is prone to devolving down that path. It ends up with everyone at an impasse and frustrated with each other.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Any civilization wit hthe capabilities of traveling back and forth in space on a daily basis would see humans the same way we see isolated tribes in the Amazon, with midly scientific interest, nothing more.

Because we're just mildy scientifically interested in said scenario. Not their social structure, spirituality, ways of looking at visitors and their feedback...

Man I'm out ffs

Hudo

Can't go into any detail because I've been bombarded with info the last 6 months but there are many tales, very very old (and recent) that 'gods' had (forbidden) intercourse with human woman causing offspring which was deemed 'X' and repercussions where made.

The offspring had immense potential as to be equal and or surpass the initial 'gods'. Bla bla, giants, pre reset old world infrastructure etc.

It's quite the rabbit hole.
You sure you aren't drink and/or high right now? Just to be sure...

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Love these threads. You either get pact trolled by members, emoji trolled, asked if your high or drunk.

Precious. All while being sincere and answering questions.

Last edited:

NikuNashi

An alien civilization that has the capacity to visit us would be so technologically advanced that it wouldn’t even think about us. It would view our planet the same way you think of an anthill in the middle of Mongolia.

Now imagine a developer wants to build a highway through that land, first thing, exterminate the ants and get rid of the ant hill.

Pejo

Gold Member
I always wanted to ask this but I didn't feel like it deserved its own thread so I'll ask here - what do you guys think about convergent evolution? Like how bats and birds are completely different species yet they both still evolved wings to fly.

Do you believe any intelligent aliens that we could ever feasibly make contact with would be humanoid? Like at least upright bipedal with phalanges? I can't imagine how humanity would have gotten to where it was if we had to crawl or snail our way across the environment, or if we couldn't grab things and create/use tools.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Now imagine a developer wants to build a highway through that land, first thing, exterminate the ants and get rid of the ant hill.

Now imagine a developer that's quite sincerely interested in this ant hill and the way their approach differs as such that they create an artificial satellite to observe our reasoning regarding our infrastructure (let's leave it at that)

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I always wanted to ask this but I didn't feel like it deserved its own thread so I'll ask here - what do you guys think about convergent evolution? Like how bats and birds are completely different species yet they both still evolved wings to fly.

Do you believe any intelligent aliens that we could ever feasibly make contact with would be humanoid? Like at least upright bipedal with phalanges? I can't imagine how humanity would have gotten to where it was if we had to crawl or snail our way across the environment, or if we couldn't grab things and create/use tools.

Depends on their planets atmosphere, gravity IE: bone structure. I'm guessing upright bipedal with slight or strong deviations.

Crayon

Yeah sure. You might have different biologies but evolution is going to figure out that a dolphin and a shark are going to end up the same shape after enough living in the water. That basic shape is going to win. We are clawless, fangless, hairless, and super weak pound for pound than most wild animals. It's because we are all-in specced to big brain. The body plan for getting around with a comically big brain might converge in a similar way.

Pejo

Gold Member
Depends on their planets atmosphere, gravity IE: bone structure. I'm guessing upright bipedal with slight or strong deviations.
Yea obviously different shapes and sizes will occur, but I mean generally speaking will they be humanoid? I think the answer is yes, personally.

Yeah sure. You might have different biologies but evolution is going to figure out that a dolphin and a shark are going to end up the same shape after enough living in the water. That basic shape is going to win. We are clawless, fangless, hairless, and super weak pound for pound than most wild animals. It's because we are all-in specced to big brain. The body plan for getting around with a comically big brain might converge in a similar way.
Very true. But evolution and biological design doesn't always make sense. Like why do so many life forms share the same tube for eating and breathing? You could argue that's a relatively poor design considering how vital breathing is to survival. Why do any sea mammals exist? Needing to breath air without gills seems like an evolutionary dead end for living in the oceans. I personally do believe that alien species are likely at least vaguely humanoid in characteristics, but it's still something I consider both sides of.

mxbison

No.

Given the size and age of the universe the chance of other life forms making it here in my lifetime is absurdly low. Probably about as close to 0 as you can get.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Any civilization wit hthe capabilities of traveling back and forth in space on a daily basis would see humans the same way we see isolated tribes in the Amazon, with midly scientific interest, nothing more.

More like ants.

They'd have to have a command of spacetime and reality that far, far exceeds our own. They'd be gods to us. Just the ability to cross the vast interstellar distances in any kind of sensible timespan biologically speaking would make them so idiotically superior to us it's barely comprehensible.

Draugoth

Gold Member
More like ants.

They'd have to have a command of spacetime and reality that far, far exceeds our own. They'd be gods to us. Just the ability to cross the vast interstellar distances in any kind of sensible timespan biologically speaking would make them so idiotically superior to us it's barely comprehensible.

Not necessairly, depending on their travel mechanics it would be akin to picking up a plane from the USA to Camboja. It would all depend on their level of technology, if flying saucers operate on the way conspirationist theorists think, then the equivalent would be the Indian Government interacting with North Sentinel Island.

But anything we have in our planet would not be of their interest.

This is a good video on my perspective:

Because we're just mildy scientifically interested in said scenario. Not their social structure, spirituality, ways of looking at visitors and their feedback...

Man I'm out ffs

One of the likely scenario is that we are one of the many isolated amazon tribe of "savages" surrounded by many big civilizations, but our rocket technology is too primitive to actually reach them on own. So they sporadically check us to see how we are doing, but immediate communitication back and fourth would be difficult.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member

Intelligence is common. Cetaceans, Great Apes, Elephants, cephalopods are all incredible intelligent animals capable of using tools and that have hig hlevels of sentience, so it's not hard for intelligence like that of humans to show up, but intelligence like that of contemporary humans seem to be more of a slow cognitive process tied to learning rather than an actual natural selection.

What an species need to be able to achieve the same technical prowness as humans is the ability to manipulate tools with extreme precison, the animals i mentioned prior can make tools but their lack of physical dexteirity make it impossible to make anything other than spears and huts (which they already do).

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
If we visited a planet and a native animal attached us immediately would we just put it down with a gun?
Erm… yes. We don’t even need to visit another planet to know that. Soon as we step beyond the boundaries of our native village, if it moves, we kill it first and ask questions later.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Not necessairly, depending on their travel mechanics it would be akin to picking up a plane from the USA to Camboja. It would all depend on their level of technology, if flying saucers operate on the way conspirationist theorists think, then the equivalent would be the Indian Government interacting with North Sentinel Island.

But anything we have in our planet would not be of their interest.

Conspiracy theorists love everything about the conspiracy, and absolutely nothing about the physics.

Top Bottom